For The last Time It Was Written Does Not Suck Vol 4.75/5

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Let's just let this thread die.

Chances are you favorite emcee doesn't have a better album than It Was Written, nor does he have a better record than "I Gave You Power," and he probably doesn't have a better verse than the first verse on "If I Ruled the World."

"slimmer than that %#%$# in calvin klein pants"
How can you make that first statement and follow up with a wild inflammatory statement. Illmatic > IWW, Nas Is Like > I Gave You Power, and pick a verse off Purple.

And If I aint going with Nas, there's always Big.

i am is definitely better than it was written... its a complete album... so are stillmatic and illmatic...

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Chances are you favorite emcee doesn't have a better album than It Was Written, nor does he have a better record than "I Gave You Power," and he probably doesn't have a better verse than the first verse on "If I Ruled the World."

How can you make that first statement and follow up with a wild inflammatory statement. Illmatic > IWW, Nas Is Like > I Gave You Power, and pick a verse off Purple.

the hell are u talking about???

"u know who's better than nas? nas!"

i remember a few years ago i made this claim about IWW being a classic and dudes tried to flame
pimp.gif
oh how times have changed

the hell are u talking about???

"u know who's better than nas? nas!"
Your post has nothing to do with who is better than Nas. Your talking about IWW. Then there's the bold part

Chances are you're wrong.

your over thinking man. MOST rappers don't have a better album than IWW, same goes with everything else I said. if you don't think that's true, why would you list other works by Nas to discredit what I said?

your over thinking man. MOST rappers don't have a better album than IWW, same goes with everything else I said. if you don't think that's true, why would you list other works by Nas to discredit what I said?
There's nothing to over think. You didn't say most rappers. You said any person's favorite emcee. Even if you said most rappers that depends on the quality of the rappers you have in mind. It isn't hard at all to have a better album than IWW.*looked for the 101 albums better than IWW to no avail*

I listed NaS cuz he's my fav MC(tied with Big) and I happen to find IWW as an album to be average at best.
Nah.

Obviously that's my opinion. I could've listed a plethora of other Nas joints.

Wow some of yall are really really really out there if you dont think it was written is not a classic.

Illmatic is perfection nothing can beat that when it comes to a rap album , but this was amazing . The message , and if i ruled the world is the
tracks i will never get tired of sooooooo smooth .

There's nothing to over think. You didn't say most rappers. You said any person's favorite emcee. Even if you said most rappers that depends on the quality of the rappers you have in mind. It isn't hard at all to have a better album than IWW.*looked for the 101 albums better than IWW to no avail*

I listed NaS cuz he's my fav MC(tied with Big) and I happen to find IWW as an album to be average at best. 
I said chances are, not definitively.  You're over thinking because you're taking it so literally.  Breaking down the actual numbers and #+*!. 

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

i am is definitely better than it was written... its a complete album... so are stillmatic and illmatic...

you wouldn't say that if you heard da ORIGINAL I am in its original incarnation.......da one that released was butchered by da label after da double album leaked

in da streets of chinatown.....which when you look at it in hindsight, wasn't even a bigdeal compared to leaks that happen over da internet.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

you wouldn't say that if you heard da ORIGINAL I am in its original incarnation.......

Disk 1

1. Fetus (Belly Button Window)
2. NY State Of Mind Pt. II
3. Life Is What You Make It
4. Small World
5. Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive
6. Poppa Was a Playa
7. Nas Is Like
8. Blaze A 50
9. Favor For A Favor
10. We Will Survive
11. Some Of Us Have Angels
12. Project Windows
13. Day Dreaming, Stay Scheming
14. Sometimes I Wonder
15. Undying Love

Disk 2

1. After Life (Intro)
2. Amongst Kings
3. Life We Chose
4. Drunk By Myself
5. Pray
6. God Love Us
7. Ghetto Prisoners
8. Last Words
9. Family
10. Come Get Me
11. Find Your Wealth
12. U Gotta Love It
13. Wanna Play Rough
14. The Rise And Fall
15. My Worst Enemy

Now you wanna talk about a classic album
eek.gif
eek.gif

see i never heard it as the double album... but its still good...

and if thats ur reasoning its kinda invalid...

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

you wouldn't say that if you heard da ORIGINAL I am in its original incarnation.......

Disk 1

1. Fetus (Belly Button Window)
2. NY State Of Mind Pt. II
3. Life Is What You Make It
4. Small World
5. Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive
6. Poppa Was a Playa
7. Nas Is Like
8. Blaze A 50
9. Favor For A Favor
10. We Will Survive
11. Some Of Us Have Angels
12. Project Windows
13. Day Dreaming, Stay Scheming
14. Sometimes I Wonder
15. Undying Love

Disk 2

1. After Life (Intro)
2. Amongst Kings
3. Life We Chose
4. Drunk By Myself
5. Pray
6. God Love Us
7. Ghetto Prisoners
8. Last Words
9. Family
10. Come Get Me
11. Find Your Wealth
12. U Gotta Love It
13. Wanna Play Rough
14. The Rise And Fall
15. My Worst Enemy

Now you wanna talk about a classic album
eek.gif
eek.gif
im so mad they butchered da release of that album.....this joint would've mad nas da MAN in hiphop, undeniable.....

i can never put I am released version over it was written....

how is it invalid? when you mutilate artwork its not gonna be better then something that came out in its original shape.

and even if I am came out da way it was supposed to, its still stops waaay shorter then it was written....

What do you mean by MOST rappers?? Like every rapper that EVER touched a mic, or rappers that ACTUALLY matter...

EVERYone in the Top 20 GOAT list has ATLEAST 1 album better than IWW... Most of them have MORE than 1

Jay
Big
Pac
KRS
Rakim
Kane
Cube
Face
Prodigy
Gza
Common
Pun
Eminem
Mos Def
Ras Kass
Redman
etc.

And then theres an list of guys who aren't better than NaS or even THAT great in their own right that have albums MUCH better than IWW

Raekwon
Snoop
Kweli 
Dre
50 Cent
etc

& then if you factor in rap groups with better albums the list gets even longer...

Wu Tang
The Roots
A Tribe Called Quest
NWA
Outkast
Goodie Mob
Bone
EPMD
De La
etc
I can go on for days, I have the utmost respect for what NaS has done for hip hop not only as an mc/lyricist, but with the message he puts into his music which in my eyes makes him an activist & a prophet of our generation, but this notion of It Was Written being this GREAT peice of work is just brainless, the album is AVERAGE at best, the ONLY reason its held in such high regard is because of the name and face on the cover, when you look @ it based soley on the music, its NOT that good of an album, nowhere near the album he made before, and not as good as the MAJORITY of the ones he made afterward... 

Nas Is Like > I Gave You Power
Rhyme for rhyme...
I agree...

"I Gave You Power" is deffinetly one of the BEST concept records in the history of hip hop music, but lyrically speaking I would take "Nas Is Like" ANY day of the week, the rhyme is iller, the beat is better, the melody is addictive... "NaS Is Like" is one of the records made later in his career, that could've fit RIGHT onto Illmatic with no problem (not saying the same couldn't be said for "I Gave You Power") I just think "NaS Is Like" is an overall BETTER record.

^again taking what I said far to figuratively. I was trying to make a simple point, I see now that I failed in doing so. 
 I'll try again, take any of XXL's freshman, if they drop a better album than IWW they've done fine by me. most rappers haven't dropped a better album. flip it however you want, most rappers meaning any n_ who's touched a mic, rappers 18+, rappers on majors, rappers to drop an LP in 2009. I don't care.
laugh.gif

Going back to what Dapper D said, there's like two people total on this board that think the album is wack, errr average, everyone else recognizes how good it is.

indifferent.gif

I'm sorry but that's just ******ed. I am is not better than IWW. It's just not.

how is it invalid? when you mutilate artwork its not gonna be better then something that came out in its original shape.

and even if I am came out da way it was supposed to, its still stops waaay shorter then it was written....
its invalid cuz it wasnt released... yall downing the album cuz yall heard some *%%! that u wasnt supposed to... im pretty sure people who have never heard the leak like the album just fine...

Back
Top Bottom