FX's ATLANTA (Starring Donald Glover) S4 Final episode

The one off story episodes are better than the Paperboi storyline. He's rich and famous now, the story doesn’t really have anywhere to go compared to the first two seasons. He’s literally in the same position he was in the first episode.

The episodes are good. It’s just odd weaving in and out of the main narrative and having these side episodes.

But i do agree the show needs both pieces for it to be as good as it has been. All one offs and it would be too weird. All Paperboi and we would be saying the show fell off.

The one off story episodes are better than the Paperboi storyline. He's rich and famous now, the story doesn’t really have anywhere to go compared to the first two seasons. He’s literally in the same position he was in the first episode.

i disagree, I think we got a whole lot more to explore with all of the main characters

he‘s made it, but to a degree and things are changing with the people closest to him.. and he has the insecurities that come from how far he has made it

i like the side stories for the most part.. but like the trini 2 the bone episode, I’m not sure how to feel about that but that’s because I’m Bahamian and been around Trinidadians my whole life

but my preference for side episodes would be for them to still be tied in.. like the Justin Bieber episode or the fake CNN one.. the main characters still play a role but they’re on a separate journey within the story.. teddy perkins, we have Darius being thrust into that situation

but like trini 2 de bone, I don’t need a black person encouraging Tom hanks‘ son stupidity

Parents are Jamaican

got you.. yea don’t know how I feel about that one.. dont know if it‘s Tom hanks kid or what or other little things

it’s like when they got a movie set the Bahamas, I know they going have “bahamians” in it with what they think is a “jamacian” accent

just watched the latest episode again

I really wonder if Atlanta is just getting too cute

like I don’t mind the kevin samuels cameo.. but after listening to the ringer pod on the episode.. it would make more sense if samuels is there dealing with a relationship issue.. or now that paperboi has made it to a degree, he’s discussing did in that context and dating

and then there’s the guy actually from Africa that is clearly black, there is no trying to hide his blackness.. he can’t pass for other

to go back to the trini 2 de bone episode.. we know white Children of a certain class are being raised by their caregivers.. an excellent point was made through the child and how he juxtaposed his parents or the obvious of the caregiver being in the parent photo

but how are you showing respect to the individual that passed by throwing Tom hanks kid in there.. or throwing these other things in there

The Liam neeson thing I get because paperboi is hallucinating off of some strong shh.. But some of these other things just take me out of it

I don't think you get some running narratives with in the black community when it comes to certain groups of black ppl.

It was not about being literally black or not. It was asking are you black as far as what it culturally means to be black (growing up) in America. They literally explain this to Aaron before he goes in.

just watched the latest episode again

I really wonder if Atlanta is just getting too cute

like I don’t mind the kevin samuels cameo.. but after listening to the ringer pod on the episode.. it would make more sense if samuels is there dealing with a relationship issue.. or now that paperboi has made it to a degree, he’s discussing did in that context and dating

and then there’s the guy actually from Africa that is clearly black, there is no trying to hide his blackness.. he can’t pass for other

to go back to the trini 2 de bone episode.. we know white Children of a certain class are being raised by their caregivers.. an excellent point was made through the child and how he juxtaposed his parents or the obvious of the caregiver being in the parent photo

but how are you showing respect to the individual that passed by throwing Tom hanks kid in there.. or throwing these other things in there

The Liam neeson thing I get because paperboi is hallucinating off of some strong shh.. But some of these other things just take me out of it
The Chet cameo as it pertains to that white family being at that funeral should be obvious.

I'm not sure what respect has to do with this if you paid attention to what was said.

I don't think you get some running narratives with in the black community when it comes to certain groups of black ppl.

It was not about being literally black or not. It was asking are you black as far as what it culturally means to be black (growing up) in America. They literally explain this to Aaron before he goes in.

soo is this supposed to then be a criticism of these supposed black people in america who are judging non black americans?

i say this as a black person who went to an overwhelmingly white high school in north florida.. never had any issues with black americans questioning my blackness and i was quickly embraced amongst that group.. white people on the other hand, they did them

The Chet cameo as it pertains to that white family being at that funeral should be obvious.

I'm not sure what respect has to do with this if you paid attention to what was said.

i took the episode as the parents being forced into a position to finally learn about this person they trusted so much with what is supposed to be the most important thing in their life (their child).. and actually learning some things about their child now that the safety net has been removed

for me i look at the chet thing as insulting because dude thinks talking like that is funny without any clue of what he's actually saying

now there is a point to be made about the level of investment the caregiver had in the child's life and the expense that was paid with her own family.. but that speaks to the struggles and sacrifices to try to earn a living

:lol: That **** was awesome. It has to be amazing to have the trust to bring your little random absurdist ideas to life.

see i like the random shhh.. the invisible car or mike vick dustin dudes for the hell of it or liam neeson showing up when dude is gone GONE (i'm impressed they even got that last one)

but why the hell you going give tom hanks kid a platform to continue to do some dumb shh

Ummmm sooo ummm what was the point of the African dude not being black?

That is a common view of separation between African and being Black in America. Its a common ideal around world. Africans don’t look at us being them and vice versa. More so a cultural identity.

The explanation of him not being rewarded the scholarship was brilliant.

Just like mixed Blacks that doesn’t identify themselves with Black people. Think of Doja Cat artist - same situation.

I have a cousin who’s mother is Korean and my Uncle Bobby was Black (fought in the Korean War) - Danny, my cousin, separated himself from Black people at school.

Imagine, seeing your 2nd blood cousin, in the same high school not even associating with you or the Black culture within the school, and stood by all white people his whole high school. School was majority Black.

But when it was time for him to benefit from being black for his personal gains - he used that race card.

Very common Black experience.

That is a common view of separation between African and being Black in America. Its a common ideal around world. Africans don’t look at us being them and vice versa.

The explanation of him not being rewarded the scholarship was brilliant.

Just like mixed Blacks that doesn’t identify themselves with Black people. I have a cousin who’s mother is Korean and my Uncle Bobby was Black (fought in the Korean War) - Danny, my cousin, separated himself from Black people at school.

Imagine, seeing your 2nd blood cousin, in the same high school not even associating with you or the Black culture within the school, and stood by all white people his whole high school. School was majority Black.

But when it was time for him to benefit from being black for his personal gains - he used that race card.

Very common Black experience.

i'm from the caribbean, we got a whole lot of mixing going on

trinidians got that indian and black going.. jamacians got that chinese and black going.. and it's mixtures of black and white throughtout

most of us think we're black.. classism is a bigger issue throughout the Caribbean (haiti being a great example)

i get that there are issues with colorism within us as black people, how we perceive dark skin vs light skin and all that

i thought aspects of the episode were good.. and others i just didnt get.. this dude aaron is clearly exposed to black people, intimately.. the level of ignorance he was displaying i've only seen from black people who are extremely rich and their parents are clearly ashamed and those kids are only exposed really to their parents and immediate family, as far as blackness

but the people who i really find who have issues accepting their blackness are Hispanic people.. they want the ability to use certain words while at the same time theyre quick to tell you they are puerto rican or whatever

i guess also gotta mention those people using bleaching creams and shh, but i dont think that's about accepting blackness more that light skin vs dark skin thing

soo is this supposed to then be a criticism of these supposed black people in america who are judging non black americans?

i say this as a black person who went to an overwhelmingly white high school in north florida.. never had any issues with black americans questioning my blackness and i was quickly embraced amongst that group.. white people on the other hand, they did them
It's more satire than a criticism or dialogue which I think ppl just not getting

Kevin Samuels was good in this ("take this pencil and go make a beat on that desk") not bad

trinidians got that indian and black going.. jamacians got that chinese and black going.. and it's mixtures of black and white throughtout

most of us think we're black.. classism is a bigger issue throughout the Caribbean (haiti being a great example)

i get that there are issues with colorism within us as black people, how we perceive dark skin vs light skin and all that

i thought aspects of the episode were good.. and others i just didnt get.. this dude aaron is clearly exposed to black people, intimately.. the level of ignorance he was displaying i've only seen from black people who are extremely rich and their parents are clearly ashamed and those kids are only exposed really to their parents and immediate family, as far as blackness

but the people who i really find who have issues accepting their blackness are Hispanic people.. they want the ability to use certain words while at the same time theyre quick to tell you they are puerto rican or whatever

i guess also gotta mention those people using bleaching creams and shh, but i dont think that's about accepting blackness more that light skin vs dark skin thing
Some people equate being black to being African American. That’s why you may hear or see some say “I’m not black, I’m Caribbean or African”

Ummmm sooo ummm what was the point of the African dude not being black?

i thought aspects of the episode were good.. and others i just didnt get.. this dude aaron is clearly exposed to black people, intimately.. the level of ignorance he was displaying i've only seen from black people who are extremely rich and their parents are clearly ashamed and those kids are only exposed really to their parents and immediate family, as far as blackness.

So there are different rungs/classes to the black experience in America. It’s a door that can swing both ways, the detriment or benefit. You saw it in the Nigerian and Aaron.

As a second generation Caribbean, I’ve seen it both ways. Have a Haitian born friend who looks down on African Americans. He believes his country’s origins give him an identity, the culture, work ethic makes him think he’s “superior” to AAs. However, he’s still beholden to the same systematic racism in generational wealth, police, etc.

I’ve had cousins who spoke creole and had accents not be accepted by African American children. They were ostracized for being “different.”

Someone like Rashida Jones is similar to Aaron. Very articulate and can easily blend in with whites. Not to say Quincy or who ever raised her that to benefit it from it…but it’s there.

We really do not have unity thanks to all of “isms” a certain demographic have introduced to divide and conquer.

That episode was pretty dope. The initial scene that revealed Aaron was low key a self hating mix child. The Black/White. The horror tone when Aaron was shunned by Robert Lee. Hilarious that they switched confederate general for another in the school’s name. Definitely liked the horror turn at the school. Loved how Aaron had to embrace his blackness fully once he was denied college, incarcerated and on parole. My man was trying to get them waves…and had that ninja tone in his voice. Old girl about to get thugged out. Lol.

I do understand the criticism of momentum being removed when they bounce from the main cast to these anthology episodes. Hopefully, season four is primarily the cast and closing the show out in grandiose manner. I appreciate Donald strutting his creativity and directorial chops but They have all that talent on the staff. Use it.

Some people equate being black to being African American. That’s why you may hear or see some say “I’m not black, I’m Caribbean or African”

see, this I disagree with

while ive rarely heard people try to refer to me as African American

but the few people who have, I’ve corrected them and simply said I’m black and I’m not American anything

it‘s been rare as hell that I’ve seen non Spanish black people who have struggled with accepting that they are black

hell maybe because my country is overwhelmingly black, even the types that look like Devon allen or mike McDaniel are quick to accept their blackness

So there are different rungs/classes to the black experience in America. It’s a door that can swing both ways, the detriment or benefit. You saw it in the Nigerian and Aaron.

As a second generation Caribbean, I’ve seen it both ways. Have a Haitian born friend who looks down on African Americans. He believes his country’s origins give him an identity, the culture, work ethic makes him think he’s “superior” to AAs. However, he’s still beholden to the same systematic racism in generational wealth, police, etc.

I’ve had cousins who spoke creole and had accents not be accepted by African American children. They were ostracized for being “different.”

Someone like Rashida Jones is similar to Aaron. Very articulate and can easily blend in with whites. Not to say Quincy or who ever raised her that to benefit it from it…but it’s there.

We really do not have unity thanks to all of “isms” a certain demographic have introduced to divide and conquer.

That episode was pretty dope. The initial scene that revealed Aaron was low key a self hating mix child. The Black/White. The horror tone when Aaron was shunned by Robert Lee. Hilarious that they switched confederate general for another in the school’s name. Definitely liked the horror turn at the school. Loved how Aaron had to embrace his blackness fully once he was denied college, incarcerated and on parole. My man was trying to get them waves…and had that ninja tone in his voice. Old girl about to get thugged out. Lol.

I do understand the criticism of momentum being removed when they bounce from the main cast to these anthology episodes. Hopefully, season four is primarily the cast and closing the show out in grandiose manner. I appreciate Donald strutting his creativity and directorial chops but They have all that talent on the staff. Use it.

i fully get there are a lot of different experiences within the black experience

but I don’t need to be ”African American“ to have experienced being black in America

first off, I’m not letting some dudes define my blackness

but secondly, the dumb shh is coming no matter where you’re from.. hell I’ve experienced the stupidity of white Americans in my own damn country

l wholeheartedly agree that there are issues within the various black communities.. but I think you can be a whole lot smarter than the African dude being black after being shot

No.

You don't get the joke though so I don't think you'll get the point

for me i look at the chet thing as insulting because dude thinks talking like that is funny without any clue of what he's actually saying
Chet Hanks was not playing Chet Hanks in that episode. He was another made up character so all that Chet Hanks stuff does not apply.

But again the humor in this entire thing seems to be going over your head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom