Getting into grad school with a low GPA??? Anyone deal with this B4?

Getting into grad school with a low GPA??? Anyone deal with this B4? I had way too much fun in college but I wanna go back and get my masters in education....Any loop holes, or ways around this... Most schools want you to have a 3.0 or higher. Any info is appreciated

One of my friends got into Law School with a 2.8GPA, but got a pretty decent score on her LSATs.

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Getting into grad school with a low GPA??? Anyone deal with this B4? I had way too much fun in college but I wanna go back and get my masters in education.... Any loop holes, or ways around this... Most schools want you to have a 3.0 or higher. Any info is appreciated

most likely will not happen if your you showed no improvement in your final semesters of college

Yea I know they make some excpetions depending on your grades in certain courses along with recommendations, etc

It's possible.

As long as you interview well, do great on your GRE, and have a few extracurriculars under your belt.

More likely if you take some time, work full-time for a while, gain some real-life experience.

Get good GRE scores. I got in with a 3.0/really good GRE scores, and my friend who graduated with a 4.0 and low GRE scores got denied.

You should consider taking some relavant post bac courses. Doing well in graduate level work will help your chances.

it's possible, just dont apply to a very good school, do well in your final semesters in your undergrad, and do well on your entry exams. i might be in thesame situation haha

Have some really good reference letters from profs. It also helps if you are in good terms with a prof in the grad program and they could be the one tosupervise your grad studies. Keep in mind, at least at my university, the grad school entrance requirements have gone up as a result of more people going backto grad school as a result of the recession.

My GPA is 2.75, however, most schools want a minimum of 3.0 or even 3.5
frown.gif
. However, theprofessor who teaches the kind of psychology field I want to get into told me he personally doesn't look at grades as much as he looks as GRE scores.Recommendations and extracurricular activities don't matter to him either because he knows some of the people applying for grad school went to a collegethat didn't have much to offer like working in labs and such so they are just extras. Your best bet is to get high GRE scores, maybe take a year off (whichis what I am doing) and getting some experience relating to what you want to do because a lot of other people do weigh recommendations and experiences moreheavily than they do grades and GRE scores.

You have to find the right program. Preferably one with a min. 2.8 GPA in the last 60 units of your undergrad and doesn't care too much about the GREscore. Also get to know the faculty of the program. It can be done, trust me.
wink.gif

take a year or 2 off, then apply. do well on your GRE's.

I got into some decent law schools with a 2.6 cumulative GPA, and a 157 LSAT. Like someone said earlier, it helps if you finish your last 3-4 semestersstronger. That shows there was room for improvement.

I know to get into an MBA program the minimum GPA is usually 3.0, but if you have good work experience that shows growth in your career and a high GMAT thenyou should be able to get into a good business school...

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

Get good GRE scores. I got in with a 3.0/really good GRE scores, and my friend who graduated with a 4.0 and low GRE scores got denied.

thats crazy

Thanks for the responses, bout to try and work a miracle!!!!

U cool w/any of ya old professors?
See if they can give a good recommendation...

Originally Posted by Stixx

U cool w/any of ya old professors?
See if they can give a good recommendation...

Man, I'm about to send out a mass email... Thing is I graduated in 06....Lets see how good my memory is
tired.gif
Crazy how time flies

I'm not even bothering with it anymore. My GPA sucks and will only get lower after this semester. I'm considering going into the military in May aftergraduation. With that said I need to bump my thread.

Didn't read anything else, but if you have a good relationship with your profs/know any of the profs who do the administer the grad program + have goodwork experience you might be alright. I will probably be trying this next year or something so hopefully it works lol.

What kinda school you tryin to go to?

I got in with a 2.8 and decent GRE scores...but I didnt apply to my undergrad university...I went with a HBCU

I didnt think my GRE would make it but I prolly still would have got in but I wanted to switch it up

Back
Top Bottom