Getting into Photography, what Camera to get?

Can someone recommend me a camera, I am trying to expand some blogs and get into photography. Looking for a camera for 500 or under. Don't really want the huge cameras with the big lenses, medium to small is okay. Cannon or Nikon? Don't really know much about cameras so any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by alex onee

Can someone recommend me a camera, I am trying to expand some blogs and get into photography. Looking for a camera for 500 or under. Don't really want the huge cameras with the big lenses, medium to small is okay. Cannon or Nikon? Don't really know much about cameras so any help is appreciated.
There is a little bit of a difference between wanting a camera and "getting into photography".  Typically that means you're going to want an SLR that has manual functions so you can set the aperture, shutter speed, etc.  If you want something medium/small, look at a micro 4/3.  It's still fairly small but there are interchangeable lenses too in a more portable format.  Otherwise, look into a Fuji or Nikon point-and-shoot.

Ok I don't want to get to advanced really somewhere in the middle, so that I can take high quality photos without getting too advanced and without investing much money into it. 

iphone. instagram app
pimp.gif

Nikon d3100
250px-Nikon_D3100.jpg

gets the job done...my sister and friend own one

oh nvm, you don't want these....i got a Canon S95...but the new S100 looks great. Got 1080p video too

there's a photography thread already.
but seriously, get a used Nikon D3000 or the medium format micro 4-thirds camera like the other post said. 

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Canon T3i

EDIT: didn't read you wanted under $500 :/

spend the extra money and get a nice DSLR

I disagree I think getting a nice "P&S" with manual settings is a great starting point and the image quality on them nowadays is really good. Plus you dont have to worry about multiple lenses($$).

Ok I don't want to get to advanced really somewhere in the middle, so that I can take high quality photos without getting too advanced and without investing much money into it. 

This hobby is really about picking what kind of photographer you are. You want good photos, get a good expensive camera. You want to save money, then get a point and shoot but you will have point and shoot quality photos. It's hard to get something that meets in the middle that is cheap but takes high quality shots. You're average camera can take any shots during the day but it is the night time and actions shots that will separate the two. You will have to sacrifice something regardless what camera you get.

How is the nikon coolpix line? And I was also looking into the cannon s100

Horrible. Don't get Nikon Coolpix cameras. I always promote Canon's with P&S cameras but Nikons are good in the midrange DSLRs or higher.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Canon T3iEDIT: didn't read you wanted under $500 :/
spend the extra money and get a nice DSLR
I disagree I think getting a nice "P&S" with manual settings is a great starting point and the image quality on them nowadays is really good. Plus you dont have to worry about multiple lenses($$).

Lenses are what makes DSLRs better and to get better image quality. I mean you can learn things on manual controls with a P&S but you will never get the same quality as a DSLR with a proper lens.

Any camera is good as long as you have good glass. I've got a dslr for sale. Check out the link on my sig for pictures I've taken with it or the photography thread for pictures.

I doubt I will be doing much action shots, more so still shots of food and people/fashion. So mr fongstarr you have a recommendation on a specific camera?
And solemunchies nice shots, what kind of camera are you trying to part with?

Lenses are what makes DSLRs better and to get better image quality. I mean you can learn things on manual controls with a P&S but you will never get the same quality as a DSLR with a proper lens.

Of course, but that's more money. The point im trying to make is its not the end all. Shoot ive seen professional ads done with the G10 that looked amazing.

Just get a p&s or better yet if you have an iPhone, stick to the instagram app, your budget is too low and you won't get the results you are looking for, sorry to give it to you this way, but photography is damn expensive

Originally Posted by justforsneaks

but seriously, get a used Nikon D3000 or the medium format micro 4-thirds camera like the other post said. 

Correction: Micro four-thirds and medium format are two completely different sizes of sensors and are not the same thing.

OP, if you really want to get into photography, an entry-level digital SLR like a Nikon D3100 or Canon T3i would be a good start (older models of those two are fine too). If you want a more portable alternative, take a look at micro four-thirds cameras like the Lumix G-series or the Olympus EP/EP-L series. Although, some of these could cost more than an entry-level DSLR. If however, you have a budget of no more than $300 or are not looking to shoot with any manual control, get a point and shoot. I would recommend any Canon PowerShot. Don't get Nikon or Canon's IXUS series.

But like I said, if you want to seriously learn more about photography, DSLRs are the best start.

^^^Sup Sizzle. I never see you in the photog thread no more.

I doubt I will be doing much action shots, more so still shots of food and people/fashion. So mr fongstarr you have a recommendation on a specific camera?
And solemunchies nice shots, what kind of camera are you trying to part with?

If you are doing a basic food blog, I seriously wouldn't even hate if you did an iPhone blog. Most point and shoots (to mee anyways) look like cell phone pics anyways. I would recommend a Canon Powershot. Just get the one that fits your budget. Most are the same minus a screen size here and there and HD video. Some have higher ISO but if you are taking still shots of food and fashion, you won't need it that much. Then just get photoshop and tweek out your photos as much as you want. I think that will get you some good shots for your blog.

get a film slr if you really want to learn photography, they can be had for less than 100

same here.. i just recently acquired a nikon D2000 and few (expensive) lenses  from a friend for an amazing price.. however this thing is just way to advanced.. any links to any good tutorial to DSLR.. my pictures are coming out way too crappy to be coming from such an expensive camera. 
laugh.gif

i need to learn the basics.. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by TmAk15

get a film slr if you really want to learn photography, they can be had for less than 100

Yeah I started off with film...but I had a place to actually develop the film and print images as well.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Originally Posted by justforsneaks

Correction: Micro four-thirds and medium format are two completely different sizes of sensors and are not the same thing.

OP, if you really want to get into photography, an entry-level digital SLR like a Nikon D3100 or Canon T3i would be a good start (older models of those two are fine too). If you want a more portable alternative, take a look at micro four-thirds cameras like the Lumix G-series or the Olympus EP/EP-L series. Although, some of these could cost more than an entry-level DSLR. If however, you have a budget of no more than $300 or are not looking to shoot with any manual control, get a point and shoot. I would recommend any Canon PowerShot. Don't get Nikon or Canon's IXUS series.

But like I said, if you want to seriously learn more about photography, DSLRs are the best start.
Which one is better for beginners: the Nikon D3100 or Canon T3i?

Back
Top Bottom