Ghetto Basketball??? Those Crazy Germans...

i looked at it like that from the beginning of the series.... it was DIRK vs those black guys ..

deep down skin color will always be an issue , even if its not perpetuated by hate it will be the lingering topic

Craziness, they acted like Iverson, Stephen Jackson, and Kenyon Martin have been winning championships left and right for the last 20 years.

Tim Duncan is as wholesome as you can get and he won 4 chips.

Other than England, Europe is completely lost when it comes to their perception of American culture and African American culture specifically.

Craziness, they acted like Iverson, Stephen Jackson, and Kenyon Martin have been winning championships left and right for the last 20 years.

Tim Duncan is as wholesome as you can get and he won 4 chips.

Other than England, Europe is completely lost when it comes to their perception of American culture and African American culture specifically.

Custodian played the most ghetto ball out there though. 
pimp.gif

Obviously there was a huge racial element to this series, not to mention the media propogating the good guys versus bad guys angle, despite one time having a statutory rapist (who just got in trouble again btw), wife beater, and a drug dealer and the bad guys the Heat, well they joined together in free agency.

Obviously there was a huge racial element to this series, not to mention the media propogating the good guys versus bad guys angle, despite one time having a statutory rapist (who just got in trouble again btw), wife beater, and a drug dealer and the bad guys the Heat, well they joined together in free agency.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

i looked at it like that from the beginning of the series.... it was DIRK vs those black guys ..

deep down skin color will always be an issue , even if its not perpetuated by hate it will be the lingering topic
Und sie sagen RASSISMUS ist verstorben

note:
tone of statement
Capitalization of the word dirk
THOSE BLACK GUYS not even worth naming
reiteration  and propagation of the racist/separatist mantra

given this information i have come to the conclusion you sir aren't

BLACK

Originally Posted by devildog1776

Und sie sagen RASSISMUS ist verstorben

note:
tone of statement
Capitalization of the word dirk
THOSE BLACK GUYS not even worth naming
reiteration  and propagation of the racist/separatist mantra

given this information i have come to the conclusion you sir aren't

BLACK

i dont buy the race factor being huge. In America.

people were rooting hard for the celtics and bulls. it as all about lebron. people want to see him lose for the most part

i dont buy the race factor being huge. In America.

people were rooting hard for the celtics and bulls. it as all about lebron. people want to see him lose for the most part

I'm German and read the original and its a pretty good article on triumph of team bball vs 3 super stars bball. The deadspin article is definitely reaching here with all the racism and so are you guys. I'm not gonna let my country be slandered here so let me clear some of this *#@# up:
Die Hautfarbe ist US-Beobachtern zufolge auch eine Ursache, die den großen Erfolg der Finalserie bei den Fernsehzuschauern erkläre. Der Sachverhalt, das ein weißer Star dabei sei den Thron zu erobern, sei für den kommerziellen Erfolg sicher gut, schreibt Foxsports-Kolumnist Bill Reiter. Auch wenn es ein trauriger Sachverhalt sei, dass die Hautfarbe überhaupt noch eine Rolle spiele.

Proper Translation: According to US-Viewers the skin colour is also a reason for the great success of the final series with television audiences. The angle that a White Star is captuirng the Throne is good for commercial success, writes Fox-Sports Columnist Bill Reiter

Fox News at it again, US based 'opinion'
eyes.gif

Dass Streetball, Rap und Ghettoschick auch den kommerziellen Erfolg der Sportart gefährden, hat die Liga selbst schon vor Jahren erkannt. Damals kamen die Spieler noch mit Goldketten behängten und im Gangsta-Look gekleidet: Basketballmützen, schlabberige Hosen, weite T-Shirts und offene Turnschuhe waren Standard.

Translation: The league recognized many years ago that Streetball, Rap & Ghetto-style were endangering the commercial appeal of the sport. Back then, the players came to games wearing Chains & Gangster style clothing: Fitteds, Low Rider pants, massive T-Shirts and Sneakers were standard.

While I disagree with the notion that the sport was becoming endangered from the dress code, again no mention of white supremacy here. It was also the NBA's idea, this is merely a comment on it.

Die breite – in der Mehrheit weiße – amerikanische Öffentlichkeit bringt dieses bewusst schlampige Outfit aber mit Straßengangs und der vornehmlich schwarzen Rapperszene in Verbindung. Das störte die NBA-Organisation, die Basketball als Familiensport für alle vermarkten will. Deshalb wurde eine Kleiderordnung durchgesetzt. Die Spieler müssen inzwischen mit Anzug und Krawatte zum Spiel erscheinen.

Translation: The US population - majority being white - connects the old hip-hop style of clothing with the Rap scene which is mostly made up of blacks. This bothered the NBA, as they wanted to market the sport as a Family Game. This is why a dress code was created - the players must now wear suit & ties to games.

Again these are just facts, America is mostly white, rappers are mostly black. I personally didn't connect the two but I'm sure plenty of people regardless of race did. You guys are probably not used to articles touching on demographics like this but its frank and not racist here.

Nowitzki ist der Mann, den der Durchschnittsamerikaner ohne zu zögern in sein Wohnzimmer ließe. Er ist zurückhaltend, hat Manieren und ist kultiviert. Seine Gegenspieler Lebron James und Dwayne Wade haben sich noch vor Spiel fünf vor laufenden Kameras über Nowitzki lustig gemacht, indem den Husten nachäfften, der ihn im Spiel zuvor plagten. Das wurde ihnen als mindestens kindisch ausgelegt, drückt aber noch mehr ihre Arroganz und Egomanie aus. Dass sie ihn immer noch unterschätzen, zeigte sich darin allemal. Sie sind damit alleine.

Translation: Nowitzki is the guy that average Americans let in to their living rooms. He's shy, has manners & is cultured. His opponents LBJ & Wade made fun of Nowitzki's cough by imitating it in front of live cameras before Game 5. They were called childish for this, but it just helps to emphasise their arrogance & ego. That they still underestimated him showed at the end. 

Firstly deadpsin decided to just grab the quote about his qualities instead of the whole thing to emphasize the black v white angle again
eyes.gif
. This paragrah is obviously just the German bias and anger at the fact that LBJ & Wade made fun of his cough. Again there is no mention of race being the factor here. Pointing out his manners & culture in this context and saying that LBJ & Wade were childish and arrogant is a fact too.

The article really makes no mention of race at all except for the bits I quoted and the picture subtitle saying he's the first white MVP in 25 years( which is a fact and never celebrated for that reason). There is no undertone of the white man finally triumphing over the ghetto superstars in the NBA
indifferent.gif

I'm German and read the original and its a pretty good article on triumph of team bball vs 3 super stars bball. The deadspin article is definitely reaching here with all the racism and so are you guys. I'm not gonna let my country be slandered here so let me clear some of this *#@# up:
Die Hautfarbe ist US-Beobachtern zufolge auch eine Ursache, die den großen Erfolg der Finalserie bei den Fernsehzuschauern erkläre. Der Sachverhalt, das ein weißer Star dabei sei den Thron zu erobern, sei für den kommerziellen Erfolg sicher gut, schreibt Foxsports-Kolumnist Bill Reiter. Auch wenn es ein trauriger Sachverhalt sei, dass die Hautfarbe überhaupt noch eine Rolle spiele.

Proper Translation: According to US-Viewers the skin colour is also a reason for the great success of the final series with television audiences. The angle that a White Star is captuirng the Throne is good for commercial success, writes Fox-Sports Columnist Bill Reiter

Fox News at it again, US based 'opinion'
eyes.gif

Dass Streetball, Rap und Ghettoschick auch den kommerziellen Erfolg der Sportart gefährden, hat die Liga selbst schon vor Jahren erkannt. Damals kamen die Spieler noch mit Goldketten behängten und im Gangsta-Look gekleidet: Basketballmützen, schlabberige Hosen, weite T-Shirts und offene Turnschuhe waren Standard.

Translation: The league recognized many years ago that Streetball, Rap & Ghetto-style were endangering the commercial appeal of the sport. Back then, the players came to games wearing Chains & Gangster style clothing: Fitteds, Low Rider pants, massive T-Shirts and Sneakers were standard.

While I disagree with the notion that the sport was becoming endangered from the dress code, again no mention of white supremacy here. It was also the NBA's idea, this is merely a comment on it.

Die breite – in der Mehrheit weiße – amerikanische Öffentlichkeit bringt dieses bewusst schlampige Outfit aber mit Straßengangs und der vornehmlich schwarzen Rapperszene in Verbindung. Das störte die NBA-Organisation, die Basketball als Familiensport für alle vermarkten will. Deshalb wurde eine Kleiderordnung durchgesetzt. Die Spieler müssen inzwischen mit Anzug und Krawatte zum Spiel erscheinen.

Translation: The US population - majority being white - connects the old hip-hop style of clothing with the Rap scene which is mostly made up of blacks. This bothered the NBA, as they wanted to market the sport as a Family Game. This is why a dress code was created - the players must now wear suit & ties to games.

Again these are just facts, America is mostly white, rappers are mostly black. I personally didn't connect the two but I'm sure plenty of people regardless of race did. You guys are probably not used to articles touching on demographics like this but its frank and not racist here.

Nowitzki ist der Mann, den der Durchschnittsamerikaner ohne zu zögern in sein Wohnzimmer ließe. Er ist zurückhaltend, hat Manieren und ist kultiviert. Seine Gegenspieler Lebron James und Dwayne Wade haben sich noch vor Spiel fünf vor laufenden Kameras über Nowitzki lustig gemacht, indem den Husten nachäfften, der ihn im Spiel zuvor plagten. Das wurde ihnen als mindestens kindisch ausgelegt, drückt aber noch mehr ihre Arroganz und Egomanie aus. Dass sie ihn immer noch unterschätzen, zeigte sich darin allemal. Sie sind damit alleine.

Translation: Nowitzki is the guy that average Americans let in to their living rooms. He's shy, has manners & is cultured. His opponents LBJ & Wade made fun of Nowitzki's cough by imitating it in front of live cameras before Game 5. They were called childish for this, but it just helps to emphasise their arrogance & ego. That they still underestimated him showed at the end. 

Firstly deadpsin decided to just grab the quote about his qualities instead of the whole thing to emphasize the black v white angle again
eyes.gif
. This paragrah is obviously just the German bias and anger at the fact that LBJ & Wade made fun of his cough. Again there is no mention of race being the factor here. Pointing out his manners & culture in this context and saying that LBJ & Wade were childish and arrogant is a fact too.

The article really makes no mention of race at all except for the bits I quoted and the picture subtitle saying he's the first white MVP in 25 years( which is a fact and never celebrated for that reason). There is no undertone of the white man finally triumphing over the ghetto superstars in the NBA
indifferent.gif

Silly.

Even sillier considering the fact that not a single one of the Big 3 is even remotely "ghetto" or "thuggish" or even remotely representing "street gangs" or "black rappers". Wade is a nice, mild-mannered guy. Lebron has had no off-court trouble whatsoever (besides having an immense ego). Bosh is... come on, it's Bosh.

Silly.

Even sillier considering the fact that not a single one of the Big 3 is even remotely "ghetto" or "thuggish" or even remotely representing "street gangs" or "black rappers". Wade is a nice, mild-mannered guy. Lebron has had no off-court trouble whatsoever (besides having an immense ego). Bosh is... come on, it's Bosh.

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

Silly.

"even if u in a Benz... u still a ____ inna coupe"

they dont care about these guys personalities or persona... theyre black. case closed. thugs
30t6p3b.gif

Damn I never even thought about the White Star vs. "This is what is wrong with the game" Black Dudes, matchup during the finals. Hmmm, I am sure it mattered to some.
skip-bayless-dougie-o.gif

It mattered a lot to some folks - and there's no question that many were tacitly motivated by racism.  This German article simply translates the code-speak that our countrymen use only to fool themselves.

Let's call this "team basketball" "one for all and all for one" hype out for what it is.  It's the same rhetoric used when promoting Duke against the Fab Five and has less to do with each team's actual demography than what they supposedly "represent."  

There's no question that this was sold as another "great white hope" scenario.  The so-called "team play" angle is cut from the same cloth as the stereotype that White players are all about hustle, teamwork, commitment and fundamentals, whereas Black athletes are reduced to primitive bundles of fast-twitch muscle who slide by on raw, natural athletic talent.  Language like "supreme physical specimen" seems lifted from the vernacular of a slave auction and is reserved almost exclusively for Black athletes.  So, even though he's a 7 foot tall perimeter player, Dirk Nowitzki is considered a blue collar, "Larry Bird" type rather than a "freak of nature."  (Despite their similarities, I've never heard anyone compare Kevin Durant to Larry Bird - and he is frequently referred to as a genetic freak.)

When you look at the Dallas Mavs, you don't see a lot of players really sacrificing their individual games for the better of the team to the same extent as, say, the 2008 Boston Celtics.  I didn't once hear ANYONE present Lakers/Celtics as "ghetto basketball" vs. "team basketball," even if Kobe Bryant is often considered the epitome of selfishness.  (To the point where, if he's called selfish, he might pout and decide to hurt his team by refusing to shoot simply to prove his worth.)  Championship teams generally consist of players with different specializations working in concert.  That's an angle that could conceivably be pitched every year.  What about when the "starless" Detroit Pistons beat the ultimate group of ring-chasers, the 2004 LA Lakers?  Did Rasheed Wallace help lead the charge against "ghetto basketball" then?  Of course not - and we all know why.

The Dallas Mavericks are NOT a Cinderella story.  The Mavs spent nearly $24 million MORE on player salaries this year than the Miami Heat.  Only the Lakers have a higher payroll.  Dirk Nowitzki is accepting almost $3 million MORE than LeBron James this year alone.  

There are plenty of reasons to dislike LeBron James.  Perhaps you don't think he's deserved all of the accolades he's received.  Perhaps you're sick of watching him get away with "crab dribbles" and offensive fouls.  Perhaps you think he's a narcissist.  Hating LeBron James for exercising his right to choose his own employer, however, is a stupid reason to dislike him - even if you live in Ohio.  He wanted the chance to work with his best friend.  Wouldn't that be a valid reason for any of us to consider changing employers?  All things being equal, I think most of us would prefer to work with people we like and live somewhere with a pleasant climate.  The so-called "big three" all left money on the table in order to do so.  Udonis Haslem turned down a big contract from the Dallas Mavericks and accepted far less than he was worth to stay with the franchise that drafted him.  If you wanted to cheer for the team that put winning ahead of individual salaries... that team was the Miami Heat, not the Dallas Mavericks.  

You can call them ring chasers, but they were no more desperate in their pursuit than Mark Cuban.  If you hate seeing millionaires whine when things don't get their way... then Mark Cuban fits that bill as well as LeBron James.

Don't get me wrong:  I happen to dislike LeBron James as a player (I'm a Wizards fan, for starters, but the Jordan comparisons also irk the hell out of me) and I did want to see the Heat lose (in part because I thought Wade's attempt to pull Rondo down, which accidentally resulted in the dislocation of Rondo's elbow, was a dirty play and also, in part, because of the premature celebration the team staged at the so-called big three's rock concert introduction, before they'd played a single game together.)  Playful jabs and gamesmanship are part of sports.  It's the seething, personal hatred that I don't understand.  

Look at longtime media darling Brett Favre.  As much as ESPN hyped the LeBron's free agency to oblivion, the network once had a dedicated Brett Favre section of their news ticker.  Favre's stretched the self-aggrandizing "will he or won't he" act out over the last four seasons.  He even signed with Green Bay's bitter division rivals and sexually harassed an employee of the New York Jets.  He may be a punchline, but the overall level of vitriol against him has never approached what LeBron James faces.  

Honestly, I think people are tapping into this feeling that LeBron James doesn't "know his place."   LeBron was, apparently, the property of Cleveland, Ohio and Dan Gilbert.  How DARE he leave at the end of his contract and select his own place of employment!  Who does he think he is?  How DARE he create his own self-serving reality show to announce his decision?  (An concept concocted by Jim Gray, by the way.)   How DARE he emphasize that we, the hoi polloi, must return to our mundane lives, while he gets to wake up tomorrow in a cavernous mansion?  

People want to humble him, to see him submit and become deferential, to acknowledge that he "owes it all to the fans," and is, somehow, their servant - and not, under any circumstances, their better.  

You can't tell me that such an attitude isn't tinged by racism.  

Originally Posted by Method Man

Damn I never even thought about the White Star vs. "This is what is wrong with the game" Black Dudes, matchup during the finals. Hmmm, I am sure it mattered to some.

skip-bayless-dougie-o.gif

It mattered a lot to some folks - and there's no question that many were tacitly motivated by racism.  This German article simply translates the code-speak that our countrymen use only to fool themselves.

Let's call this "team basketball" "one for all and all for one" hype out for what it is.  It's the same rhetoric used when promoting Duke against the Fab Five and has less to do with each team's actual demography than what they supposedly "represent."  

There's no question that this was sold as another "great white hope" scenario.  The so-called "team play" angle is cut from the same cloth as the stereotype that White players are all about hustle, teamwork, commitment and fundamentals, whereas Black athletes are reduced to primitive bundles of fast-twitch muscle who slide by on raw, natural athletic talent.  Language like "supreme physical specimen" seems lifted from the vernacular of a slave auction and is reserved almost exclusively for Black athletes.  So, even though he's a 7 foot tall perimeter player, Dirk Nowitzki is considered a blue collar, "Larry Bird" type rather than a "freak of nature."  (Despite their similarities, I've never heard anyone compare Kevin Durant to Larry Bird - and he is frequently referred to as a genetic freak.)

When you look at the Dallas Mavs, you don't see a lot of players really sacrificing their individual games for the better of the team to the same extent as, say, the 2008 Boston Celtics.  I didn't once hear ANYONE present Lakers/Celtics as "ghetto basketball" vs. "team basketball," even if Kobe Bryant is often considered the epitome of selfishness.  (To the point where, if he's called selfish, he might pout and decide to hurt his team by refusing to shoot simply to prove his worth.)  Championship teams generally consist of players with different specializations working in concert.  That's an angle that could conceivably be pitched every year.  What about when the "starless" Detroit Pistons beat the ultimate group of ring-chasers, the 2004 LA Lakers?  Did Rasheed Wallace help lead the charge against "ghetto basketball" then?  Of course not - and we all know why.

The Dallas Mavericks are NOT a Cinderella story.  The Mavs spent nearly $24 million MORE on player salaries this year than the Miami Heat.  Only the Lakers have a higher payroll.  Dirk Nowitzki is accepting almost $3 million MORE than LeBron James this year alone.  

There are plenty of reasons to dislike LeBron James.  Perhaps you don't think he's deserved all of the accolades he's received.  Perhaps you're sick of watching him get away with "crab dribbles" and offensive fouls.  Perhaps you think he's a narcissist.  Hating LeBron James for exercising his right to choose his own employer, however, is a stupid reason to dislike him - even if you live in Ohio.  He wanted the chance to work with his best friend.  Wouldn't that be a valid reason for any of us to consider changing employers?  All things being equal, I think most of us would prefer to work with people we like and live somewhere with a pleasant climate.  The so-called "big three" all left money on the table in order to do so.  Udonis Haslem turned down a big contract from the Dallas Mavericks and accepted far less than he was worth to stay with the franchise that drafted him.  If you wanted to cheer for the team that put winning ahead of individual salaries... that team was the Miami Heat, not the Dallas Mavericks.  

You can call them ring chasers, but they were no more desperate in their pursuit than Mark Cuban.  If you hate seeing millionaires whine when things don't get their way... then Mark Cuban fits that bill as well as LeBron James.

Don't get me wrong:  I happen to dislike LeBron James as a player (I'm a Wizards fan, for starters, but the Jordan comparisons also irk the hell out of me) and I did want to see the Heat lose (in part because I thought Wade's attempt to pull Rondo down, which accidentally resulted in the dislocation of Rondo's elbow, was a dirty play and also, in part, because of the premature celebration the team staged at the so-called big three's rock concert introduction, before they'd played a single game together.)  Playful jabs and gamesmanship are part of sports.  It's the seething, personal hatred that I don't understand.  

Look at longtime media darling Brett Favre.  As much as ESPN hyped the LeBron's free agency to oblivion, the network once had a dedicated Brett Favre section of their news ticker.  Favre's stretched the self-aggrandizing "will he or won't he" act out over the last four seasons.  He even signed with Green Bay's bitter division rivals and sexually harassed an employee of the New York Jets.  He may be a punchline, but the overall level of vitriol against him has never approached what LeBron James faces.  

Honestly, I think people are tapping into this feeling that LeBron James doesn't "know his place."   LeBron was, apparently, the property of Cleveland, Ohio and Dan Gilbert.  How DARE he leave at the end of his contract and select his own place of employment!  Who does he think he is?  How DARE he create his own self-serving reality show to announce his decision?  (An concept concocted by Jim Gray, by the way.)   How DARE he emphasize that we, the hoi polloi, must return to our mundane lives, while he gets to wake up tomorrow in a cavernous mansion?  

People want to humble him, to see him submit and become deferential, to acknowledge that he "owes it all to the fans," and is, somehow, their servant - and not, under any circumstances, their better.  

You can't tell me that such an attitude isn't tinged by racism.  

QFMT.... I said the same exact thing in the feel bad for lbj thread. Its good to know theres some ppl who can use ration, reason and general common sense.

Hating LeBron James for exercising his right to choose his own employer, however, is a stupid reason to dislike him - even if you live in Ohio.

Yeah, but I'm still gonna do it.

Method Man wrote:

i thought the "big three" purposely took a pay cut to play with each other, those numbers can be deceptive as to what the heat could have actually paid had they paid their full worth. 
nevertheless, the rest of this post was great

Back
Top Bottom