Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

I think the 3 he's talking about is 6'8 270 lbs and is a pending free agent.

If his stock is high, trade him. What's the ceiling on Chandler, honestly?

I swear Isiah had the best eye for raw young talent in the last 10-15 years.

Virtually every player he set eyes on has made a name for themselves in the league.

Ariza was the spark behind this Laker chip and we gave him away.

Lee is the same type of player IMO...just on a horrible team.

- I'll take Donnie building a team rather than Isiah picking out the best individual talent.

- Will's still gota lot of room for growth IMO. his handle as a ton of room to improve, he should grab 7 boards a game and develop his jumper more.

- Gallo will never be dealt.

- I can live with Tyreke Evans. He's a talent, but ONLY if he embraces being a selfless teammate.

- I absolutely can not live with Jrue Holiday. I don't get the infatuation. I keep looking and I just don't see it.

- No Flynn
grin.gif
...but at least no Jennings.

Will's potential>Gallo's Potential. Will can become a good defender in time which I can't say for Gallo.

We haven't seen Gallo at 100% tho. Hopefully this year we do.

(not sayin he'll end up guarding a chair, but he could be more explosive offensively)

I like Chandler, but I still see him as a slightly bright spot on a horrible team...if a trade is available that would result in the Knicks getting rid ofCurry's contract I'd be all for it, but I wouldn't trade up given that I don't think anyone besides Blake Griffin is a sure bet to be a solidNBA player. imo the Knicks priority should be getting cap space for 2 max contracts in 2010 and a solid contributor in this draft, and that could really be atany position...

I'm just happy the knicks are able to get someone who could possibly contribute down the road, I just really want Curry off the books to ensure that wehave cap space for 2 max contracts in 2010 and the cap room to resign D. Lee...

In terms of players in the draft for the Knicks, there's too many for me to even say I want them to draft _____ for sure, to me in order,
1. Griffin is nice, but he's going to be the #1 pick,
2. Rubio seems like a less athletic Rondo (not a bad thing, but not good and probably not worht risking trading Will),
3. Thabeet looks like he'll be Olowokandi 2.0 to me, I see size and athleticism, but not a ton of skills at the position,
4. Harden looks solid, but unspectacular (not worth trading will for) and won't be available anyway,
5. Evans isn't really a PG, and is a chucker,
6. Stephen Curry is a poor man's Mike Bibby that might not make it at the next level,
7. Flynn is like Nate Robinson w/ better PG skills, but not as nice a shot,
8. Hill just doens't seem like a special player to me, but I guess he'd be an ok role player at the worst,
9. Jennings is a HUGE ? and has no jumper,
10. Derozan was very unimpressive in college,
11. Holiday hasn't proven anything since HS and would not be a lottery pick based on his college performance (he might be a total bust)..

So I'm really unsure who I'd even want out of this draft, I guess I'd be happy with Evans (i think he can be like OJ Mayo), Curry (there's somepotential there), Flynn

I don't care what we do with anyone as long as we don't draft Jrue Holiday.

Posting this, not sure if it was already posted in the official nba thread but whatever

D.R.A.F.T. Initiative: Isiah's a genius
By Alvin Chang
Special to Insider
For all the stats and advanced scouting metrics gathered on prospects these days, Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo maintains there's no real science to the process. "At the end of the day, you also have to trust your gut," he says.

And that puts him in some strange company with a man who says this: "[My draft strategy] came from growing up on the playgrounds and having to pick players -- and not wanting to lose."

That man? None other than Isiah Thomas, he of the much-maligned track record as an NBA executive. But according to the D.R.A.F.T. Initiative's study, Colangelo and Thomas top the list of the best drafters from the past 20 years.

Seriously.

We figured out who was calling the shots for every team on draft day over the past 20 years and then, using John Hollinger's estimated wins added (EWA) stat, tracked how their picks performed in comparison to the expected value of their draft slot (net EWA). To be eligible, a GM had to have picked at least 10 players during the 20-year time period, leaving 46 eligible candidates to rank. Here's how the best and worst shook out:

THE TOP FIVE

1. Bryan Colangelo
Suns, 1995-2005; Raptors, 2006-current
Net EWA: 1.68
Colangelo's midround success is astounding: Steve Nash (1996, 15th pick, +7.72 net EWA), Michael Finley (1995, 21st, +5.15), Shawn Marion (1999, 9th, +9.76) and Amar'e Stoudemire (2002, 9th, +8.88). He also found Stephen Jackson (+2.78) in the second round. But even a guy like Colangelo has regrets. He says he wishes he'd taken Tayshaun Prince at No. 22 in 2002 over Casey Jacobsen. But he's not ready to give up on Andrea Bargnani (-5.97), the top pick in 2006, just yet.

2. Isiah Thomas
Raptors, 1995-97; Knicks, 2004-07
Net EWA: 1.52
Thomas' early picks seemed odd -- fans booed Damon Stoudamire, his first-ever choice. But Stoudamire's net EWA is 0.78 wins higher than expected for the seventh pick, and that's common of Thomas' players. Trevor Ariza (43rd, 2004), Nate Robinson (21st, 2005) and David Lee (30th, 2005) have all exceeded their expected EWA numbers.

Thomas has a name for the attributes he values in prospects: I.C.E. (Intensity, concentration, energy). He picked Tracy McGrady, whose career EWA is 10.5 wins better than the typical No. 9 pick, because he had a quiet intensity "like a lava flow." And he justifies grabbing Lee and Marcus Camby (No. 2, 1996) because, he says, "On the playground, I always picked the rebounder first, because when you play outside, there are a lot of misses, and you want someone who can track it."

Whatever works.

3. Jim Paxson
Cavaliers, 1999-2004
Net EWA: 1.20
Paxson obviously gets a huge boost from LeBron James, whose net EWA is +16.34. But he also found Carlos Boozer (+9.1) in the second round in 2002. Those picks more than make up for duds like Dajuan Wagner (2002, No. 6, -4.37) and DeSagana Diop (2001, No. 8, -3.97).

4. Garry St. Jean
Warriors, 1998-2003
Net EWA: 1.15
In addition to Antawn Jamison (1998, No. 4, +5.21), St. Jean should be known for 2001, when he grabbed Jason Richardson (5th, +3.25), Troy Murphy (14th, +2.25) and Gilbert Arenas (30th, +8.92). That's some haul.

5. Bob Whitsitt
Sonics, 1986-93; Trail Blazers, 1994-2002
Net EWA: 0.73
In 1989, Whitsitt drafted a 19-year-old with no college experience after convincing his owner that the kid could be a combination of Charles Barkley and Karl Malone. And that's how Shawn Kemp (5.85 net EWA) ended up as the No. 17 pick in the 1989 draft, long before the prep-to-pro route was en vogue. That willingness to gamble on high-ceiling prospects also brought him Gary Payton (1990, 2nd, +5.91), Jermaine O'Neal (1996, 17th, +4.39) and Zach Randolph (2001, 19th, +6.05).

THE BOTTOM FIVE

5. Pete Bab****
Nuggets, 1985-89; Hawks, 1990-2003
Net EWA: -0.73
You could look at various underperformers and quickly understand how Bab**** ended up in this spot: Todd Lichti (1989, 15th, -2.13); Rumeal Robinson (1990, 10th, -2.71); Anthony Avent (1991, 15th, -2.87); Adam Keefe (1992, 10th, -2.43); and DerMarr Johnson (2000, 6th, -4.22). But maybe it's just easier to say that he really only made one good pick -- Jason Terry (1999, 10th, +6.17).

4. John Nash
76ers, 1986-89; Bullets, 1990-95; Nets, 1996-99; Trail Blazers, 2003-05
Net EWA: -0.76
Other than Rasheed Wallace (1995, 4th, +2.53), about all Nash can brag about is Gheorghe Muresan (+0.70). The 7-foot-7 center was one of only nine of Nash's 35 picks to meet or exceed draft-slot expectations. The busts include Calbert Cheaney, Sebastian Telfair and Sharone Wright.

3. Jack McCloskey
Pistons, 1979-91; Timberwolves, 1992-94
Net EWA: -0.83
In the 20 years that comprised our study, Tim Burroughs (1992, 51st, +0.20) was his best draft pick. Who? Exactly. McCloskey bombed in the top five, grabbing Christian Laettner (1992, 3rd, -0.54), Isaiah Rider (1993, 5th, -2.31) and Donyell Marshall (1994, 4th, -0.22) as building blocks for the expansion Wolves.

2. Rod Thorn
Nets, 2000-2007
Net EWA -0.94
Unfortunately for Thorn, he doesn't get credit for picking Michael Jordan -- our study starts in 1989, which means his stint in Chicago from 1978-85 doesn't count. And since then, he's made plenty of mistakes. Even if you don't want to blame him for taking forward Kenyon Martin (-2.98) with the top pick in the weak 2000 draft, he has made plenty of mistakes, including Jason Collins (2001, 18th, -4.90), Zoran Planinic (2003, 22nd, -1.68) and Antoine Wright (2005, 15th, -4.05).

1. Elgin Baylor
Clippers, 1986-2008
Net EWA -1.18
Come on, was there really any doubt about this one? Baylor made 43 picks over the length of the study and only nine met or exceeded expectations. More often, as we detailed already, he has drafted the likes of Shaun Livingston (2004, 4th, -4.71), Melvin Ely (2002, 12th, -2.90), Darius Miles (2000, 3rd, -3.69), Lorenzen Wright (1996, 7th, -2.13), Terry Dehere (1993, 13th, -2.19), Bo Kimble (1990, 8th, -3.78) and Danny Ferry (1989, 2nd, -5.91).

Oh, and Baylor also made the worst pick of the past 20 years, Michael Olowokandi (1998, 1st, -7.99). Conveniently, the Clippers have the top choice in this year's draft. Let's see what happens without Baylor in the war room.
Alvin Chang is a contributing writer for ESPN Insider.

[h1]Donnie Walsh and Knicks need a slam dunk pick at the NBA Draft[/h1]
BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, June 21st 2009, 4:00 AM
alg_stephen-curry.jpg

When David Stern steps to the podium on Thursday to announce "and withthe eighth pick of the 2009 NBA draft the New York Knicks select…"it will serve as advance warning for Knick supporters everywhere to cover their eyes.

There is no doubt the Knicks will be in prime position to draft a top prospect with the eighth pick. Davidson's Stephen Curry could be available or perhaps one of two freshmen, Memphis' Tyreke Evans or UCLA's Jrue Holiday, will beon the board. The big question, of course, is will Donnie Walsh make theright choice?

This year's draft is crucial for the Knicks' future since, as of now, they don't have a first-round pick in 2010 and it is incumbent onmanagement to build a winning product if it hopes to attract LeBron Jamesand/or Dwyane Wade if the two All-Stars become free agents next summer.

"We're going to try to use our money wisely," Walsh said, "and be ready for a free agency period in another year."

Walsh, speaking to an Indianapolis radio station last week, reiteratedthat the organization is committed to its plan to clear salary cap space in 2010. Walsh, who is scheduled to meet with New York area reporters tomorrow, addedthat he believes that with a few good offseason additions the club can make the jump from a 32-win team to a playoff team.

Step 1 begins Thursday, although it's hard to put faith in an organization that 10 years ago selected Frederic Weis with the eighth pick. A new regime was in place by 2003 when Michael Sweetney was taken ninth and when Isiah Thomas took over, he had better drafting resume, although, his highest pick -Channing Frye No. 8 in 2005 - quickly flamed out.

The Knicks have high hopes for Walsh's first pick as Knicks president, but the fact is Danilo Gallinari, selected sixth overall, appeared in 28 games as a rookie before having his season abruptly end due to backsurgery.

The decade hasn't been a total wash-out. Trevor Ariza, taken 43rdoverall in 2004, helped the Lakers win the NBA championship lastweek. David Lee (30th in 2005) and Wilson Chandler (23rd in 2007) have established themselves as legitimatestarting-caliber players and they both appear to have bright futures.

However, neither has appeared in a playoff game. Heck, the Knicks have yet to win more than 33 games in a season with Lee and Chandler on the roster.

The last first-round draft pick to make an impact on the Knicks was CharlieWard, the 26th pick of the 1994 draft who eventually became the starting point guard on a team that reached the 1999 NBA Finals. The last first-round pick to makean All-Star team with the Knicks is Mark Jackson, who was picked 18th in1987.

Jackson's best years, though, were running the point for Walsh's teams in Indiana. The second-year Knicks president understands the importance of having a solid point guard run a club, and if ever the Knicks needed sucha player it is now.

Chris Duhon, the incumbent starting point guard, is better suited for aback-up role. As Duhon's minutes increased last season, his production dipped and his body began to break down.

Curry is emerging as the most obvious choice because of his shooting ability. The fact that he has expressed a desire to play in New York hasn't hurteither. But the Knicks are also resigned to the fact the Curry could be taken anywhere from four to seven.

In that case, Evans and Holiday - in that order - are likely the next prospects on the board. Brandon Jennings, a point guard who spent last season in Italy, could be the long-shot choice, and there is a possibility that power forward Jordan Hill from Arizona could be their choice.

Then again, the last time the Knicks used the eighth pick to draft a power forward from Arizona - Frye - it didn't exactly lead to great things.

"No matter what you like, you may not be able to get him and you might have to have a backup to what you really like," Walsh told radio stationWNDE. "So it's that process and you've got to be ready to make a choice between one player and another and whatever's best for yourfranchise."

[h1]LEE'S CAREER REACHES 'HIGH PRESSURE TIME'[/h1]
[h3]By MARC BERMAN[/h3]

David Lee walked through a hard rain yesterday at an NBA function at theSouth Street Seaport in possibly his last public appearance as a Knick.

The rain was a foreboding foreshadow, because Lee will see a lot of rain the rest his career if he bolts New York for Portland.

This is not about the NBA draft. What happens in 10 days is just as important as the events of Thursday's NBA draft -- unless Ricky Rubio drops to theKnicks at No. 8. "It's is a high-pressure time," Lee told The Post.

Lee's future is at stake and it's as cloudy as the New York weather. He is free to negotiate with other teams July 1.

"There already been a lot of interest," Lee said. "There's definitely a bunch of teams very interested. It's a matter of how seriousthat interest is and what the Knicks want to do about it."

Portland will be Lee's strongest suitor. Detroit, with cap room, has interest, too. Lee declined to say whether he'll be in the Rose City July 1 fora recruiting trip.

"I haven't discussed it," Lee said.

Portland likely has to work out a sign-and-trade with the Knicks to get the 6-foot-9 power forward. Lee is expected to command between $7-10 million peryear on an offer sheet, which the Knicks can match. If he gets an offer sheet at the spectrum's high end, Donnie Walsh is prepared to trade Lee or let him go with the idea of preserving2010 cap space.

"I know the Knicks want me to be here, they know I want to be here," Lee said. "It's a matter of how things shake out in the draft andwhat decisions they want to make not just for this year but 2010 as well."

Lee, who led the league in double-doubles (65), is their best rebounder, hustler and most popular player. The negative is he's not a strong postdefender and isn't an offensive go-to guy in the final minutes.

In his four seasons, Lee's Knicks have never won more than 33 games, but would have been worse without his grit.

"It's up to Donnie Walsh and my agent to figure out what's going on.," said Lee, who averaged 16 points and 11.7 rebounds.

Wilson Chandler, coming off a solid second year, was hobblingaround the Seaport in a walking boot. Two bone spurs were removed from his left ankle during surgery June 4. Chandler said he plans to be back on the court theend of July but is disappointed to miss Las Vegas Summer League.

"I thought I'd use most of the summer to get better but I'll still have time," said Chandler, who learned of the bone spur with two monthsleft to the season and played through the discomfort.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

[h1]By MARC BERMAN[/h1]
The rain was a foreboding foreshadow, because Lee will see a lot of rain the rest his career if he bolts New York for Portland.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
is that the best you got buddy? .. But
pimp.gif
D Lee gettin money.

wait, wasnt sergio rod. confirmed to be traded here?
so dlee for sergio+?
i hate being impatient
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom