Going Vegan for 7 days, any tips, tricks? Update: DAY 11 and I'm Still Doin It...kind of

So I have a few friends that are vegetarians. I've tried the raw food thing, not my thing. I watch what I eat, despite my legendary food run posts.

I had a co-worker who went vegan and got off of three asthma medications and improved her health. I've read about Phil Mickelson and Bill Clinton changing their diets and citing some health improvements.

My usual snack is some bananas and the 3 lb bag of almonds from CostCo
pimp.gif

Any other foods to watch out for? Foods that work well?

I eat cereal with Soy Milk, but it can't be that easy right?

I'm aware that I have to stay away from animal byproducts, even gelatin capsules in my supplements. No dairy, meats e.t.c...

Any help would be appreciated. I made a bet that I could do this. Put up my Vegas winnings from Nadal winning the Open against a meal at Kumas Korner here in Chicago
laugh.gif
. Total contradiction I know.

***UPDATE***

Thanks to all the tips in the thread. Reminded me that I do eat a lot of food that is Vegan friendly so it hasn't been that bad.

I start my day with Oatmeal with soy milk and a little Agave sprinkled in. Haven't really eaten any big meals. A lot of blue corn chips, salsa and guac. Thanks for the recipes guys. I mostly use a mix from frontera grill, add juice from a whole lemon and some garlic that I roast myself.

The hardest part will be tonight, watching the Beloved Bears play. Have to find some new snacks. Almonds have been great, but it is getting old quick.

Went to Olive Garden after reading on some message boards about how the minestrone no longer uses a beef broth and the bread is ok so long as you ask them to not brush it with butter.

Two more days, I don't see myself carrying this on much longer. I know it's still been only 5 days, but I have yet to notice anything really great about the way I feel. Although, I am thinking it's time to go all fish and some dairy as others have pointed out. I've given up meat the last two years for lent...Now I'm wondering about the next challenge. Two more days, two more days...

UPDATE II:

Lot's of good info being shared in this thread. So the day came and gone and you want to hear something strange? I walked into a burger joint saw all these people with medium rare burgers...and walked out.

No joke. Check my posts in the burger thread. I just didn't have a taste for it, I must have gotten past that craving now. I wanted to eventually become a pescatarian and so far I feel I'm on my way. Since wed (when the bet ended) I had chicken breast at a wedding reception and some twice baked potatoes.

I ran a 5k on Sunday and ran a pretty good time despite not training for it like I have in the past. I feel a little bit more energy and started eating natural fruit cups from a local farm/grocery store near my work. The one thing I have noticed is that I do not recover from an intense workout or physical activity as quickly now. I'm sure there are ways to tweak my diet to allow this to happen.

I have allowed myself to use Smart Balance which is a butter substitute. I'm pretty sure it is not vegan since it contains small amounts of whey. I'll have to do more research on this.

So I have a few friends that are vegetarians. I've tried the raw food thing, not my thing. I watch what I eat, despite my legendary food run posts.

I had a co-worker who went vegan and got off of three asthma medications and improved her health. I've read about Phil Mickelson and Bill Clinton changing their diets and citing some health improvements.

My usual snack is some bananas and the 3 lb bag of almonds from CostCo
pimp.gif

Any other foods to watch out for? Foods that work well?

I eat cereal with Soy Milk, but it can't be that easy right?

I'm aware that I have to stay away from animal byproducts, even gelatin capsules in my supplements. No dairy, meats e.t.c...

Any help would be appreciated. I made a bet that I could do this. Put up my Vegas winnings from Nadal winning the Open against a meal at Kumas Korner here in Chicago
laugh.gif
. Total contradiction I know.

***UPDATE***

Thanks to all the tips in the thread. Reminded me that I do eat a lot of food that is Vegan friendly so it hasn't been that bad.

I start my day with Oatmeal with soy milk and a little Agave sprinkled in. Haven't really eaten any big meals. A lot of blue corn chips, salsa and guac. Thanks for the recipes guys. I mostly use a mix from frontera grill, add juice from a whole lemon and some garlic that I roast myself.

The hardest part will be tonight, watching the Beloved Bears play. Have to find some new snacks. Almonds have been great, but it is getting old quick.

Went to Olive Garden after reading on some message boards about how the minestrone no longer uses a beef broth and the bread is ok so long as you ask them to not brush it with butter.

Two more days, I don't see myself carrying this on much longer. I know it's still been only 5 days, but I have yet to notice anything really great about the way I feel. Although, I am thinking it's time to go all fish and some dairy as others have pointed out. I've given up meat the last two years for lent...Now I'm wondering about the next challenge. Two more days, two more days...

UPDATE II:

Lot's of good info being shared in this thread. So the day came and gone and you want to hear something strange? I walked into a burger joint saw all these people with medium rare burgers...and walked out.

No joke. Check my posts in the burger thread. I just didn't have a taste for it, I must have gotten past that craving now. I wanted to eventually become a pescatarian and so far I feel I'm on my way. Since wed (when the bet ended) I had chicken breast at a wedding reception and some twice baked potatoes.

I ran a 5k on Sunday and ran a pretty good time despite not training for it like I have in the past. I feel a little bit more energy and started eating natural fruit cups from a local farm/grocery store near my work. The one thing I have noticed is that I do not recover from an intense workout or physical activity as quickly now. I'm sure there are ways to tweak my diet to allow this to happen.

I have allowed myself to use Smart Balance which is a butter substitute. I'm pretty sure it is not vegan since it contains small amounts of whey. I'll have to do more research on this.

1. What is your issue with raw foods?

2. I try to get all of my veggies in the morning in the form of a smoothie. Romaine, cucumbers, carrots, bananas, apples, + any other fruit. Very filling for about 2 hours.

3. Quinoa is nice meal. Add that to some roasted root vegetables and you have a nice meal.

4. Salads of course but those can get boring quick.

5. Vegetable Chili. I just made some last night. Black Beans, Small Red Beans, Corn, Carrots, Tomatoes, Onions, Jalepenos, Red Peppers.

6. Peanut Butter + Jelly

There area lot of options man.

2. I try to get all of my veggies in the morning in the form of a smoothie. Romaine, cucumbers, carrots, bananas, apples, + any other fruit. Very filling for about 2 hours.

3. Quinoa is nice meal. Add that to some roasted root vegetables and you have a nice meal.

5. Vegetable Chili. I just made some last night. Black Beans, Small Red Beans, Corn, Carrots, Tomatoes, Onions, Jalepenos, Red Peppers.

6. Peanut Butter + Jelly

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

6. Peanut Butter + Jelly

I'm sorry. I worded it wrong. We have a few restaurants here in Chicago that do "Raw" food. Meaning they are not cooked over a certain temp. I found it gritty and terrible, whereas I've eaten at multiple vegetarian places that were great.

Thanks for the suggestions. The chili sounds great. I make something similar now just with turkey meat. I don't think I can do PB+J. Doesn't peanut butter have animal byproducts in though? I think I have to stay away from it.

So I just won't go to a Raw place to eat. I love raw veggies, carrots being the favorite. I also lift a lot of weights so the protein part is an issue, which is why I will only go about 7 days.

@Proper English

Yes, it is easier. I'm close to being one already as I eat a lot of chicken and fish. I love Salmon, my favorite dish honestly. To cook or eat. I still wander into burgerland on occasion, but I will go long periods without red meat. Even though my parents grill steaks about every other night during the summer. My friend who is a body builder never eats red meats, just chicken and fish. The bet just came about while we were talking and I said I would like to try it. My friends know my love for burgers so they bet that I couldn't last a week. I have been off of cheese and dairy for about 6 months now and have felt a difference.

I'm hoping to post everyday and kind of keep a log of what's going on. I also have been dieting before this, I was 6'1 215 in June and dropped to about 200-205. I played basketball in college at 175, so hoping to see if this diet helps me get into that 185-190 range. I've also been running 3 miles every other day. I can attest that diet contributes more to weight than exercise or cardio, but neither should be completely ignored. I have a few nagging injuries and medical conditions that have come up as I've gotten older, so curious to see if anything clears up from this diet. Although I'm sure 7 days might not be enough to see significant changes.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

6. Peanut Butter + Jelly

I'm sorry. I worded it wrong. We have a few restaurants here in Chicago that do "Raw" food. Meaning they are not cooked over a certain temp. I found it gritty and terrible, whereas I've eaten at multiple vegetarian places that were great.

Thanks for the suggestions. The chili sounds great. I make something similar now just with turkey meat. I don't think I can do PB+J. Doesn't peanut butter have animal byproducts in though? I think I have to stay away from it.

So I just won't go to a Raw place to eat. I love raw veggies, carrots being the favorite. I also lift a lot of weights so the protein part is an issue, which is why I will only go about 7 days.

@Proper English

Yes, it is easier. I'm close to being one already as I eat a lot of chicken and fish. I love Salmon, my favorite dish honestly. To cook or eat. I still wander into burgerland on occasion, but I will go long periods without red meat. Even though my parents grill steaks about every other night during the summer. My friend who is a body builder never eats red meats, just chicken and fish. The bet just came about while we were talking and I said I would like to try it. My friends know my love for burgers so they bet that I couldn't last a week. I have been off of cheese and dairy for about 6 months now and have felt a difference.

I'm hoping to post everyday and kind of keep a log of what's going on. I also have been dieting before this, I was 6'1 215 in June and dropped to about 200-205. I played basketball in college at 175, so hoping to see if this diet helps me get into that 185-190 range. I've also been running 3 miles every other day. I can attest that diet contributes more to weight than exercise or cardio, but neither should be completely ignored. I have a few nagging injuries and medical conditions that have come up as I've gotten older, so curious to see if anything clears up from this diet. Although I'm sure 7 days might not be enough to see significant changes.

Research through Google ways that a vegetarian gets protein. I won't copy and paste for you because you will learn more if you do your own research. But the whole protein issue is overrated if you ask me.

Research through Google ways that a vegetarian gets protein. I won't copy and paste for you because you will learn more if you do your own research. But the whole protein issue is overrated if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom