Goldman Sachs Executive Quits Saying Bank is Toxic & Disrespectful to Clients

Wow. Link to op-ed piece the now ex Goldman Sach's exec wrote in Wednesday's New York Times here.

TODAY is my last day at Goldman Sachs. After almost 12 years at the firm — first as a summer intern while at Stanford, then in New York for 10 years, and now in London — I believe I have worked here long enough to understand the trajectory of its culture, its people and its identity. And I can honestly say that the environment now is as toxic and destructive as I have ever seen it.

To put the problem in the simplest terms, the interests of the client continue to be sidelined in the way the firm operates and thinks about making money. Goldman Sachs is one of the world’s largest and most important investment banks and it is too integral to global finance to continue to act this way. The firm has veered so far from the place I joined right out of college that I can no longer in good conscience say that I identify with what it stands for.

It might sound surprising to a skeptical public, but culture was always a vital part of Goldman Sachs’s success. It revolved around teamwork, integrity, a spirit of humility, and always doing right by our clients. The culture was the secret sauce that made this place great and allowed us to earn our clients’ trust for 143 years. It wasn’t just about making money; this alone will not sustain a firm for so long. It had something to do with pride and belief in the organization. I am sad to say that I look around today and see virtually no trace of the culture that made me love working for this firm for many years. I no longer have the pride, or the belief.

But this was not always the case. For more than a decade I recruited and mentored candidates through our grueling interview process. I was selected as one of 10 people (out of a firm of more than 30,000) to appear on our recruiting video, which is played on every college campus we visit around the world. In 2006 I managed the summer intern program in sales and trading in New York for the 80 college students who made the cut, out of the thousands who applied.

I knew it was time to leave when I realized I could no longer look students in the eye and tell them what a great place this was to work.

When the history books are written about Goldman Sachs, they may reflect that the current chief executive officer, Lloyd C. Blankfein, and the president, Gary D. Cohn, lost hold of the firm’s culture on their watch. I truly believe that this decline in the firm’s moral fiber represents the single most serious threat to its long-run survival.

Over the course of my career I have had the privilege of advising two of the largest hedge funds on the planet, five of the largest asset managers in the United States, and three of the most prominent sovereign wealth funds in the Middle East and Asia. My clients have a total asset base of more than a trillion dollars. I have always taken a lot of pride in advising my clients to do what I believe is right for them, even if it means less money for the firm. This view is becoming increasingly unpopular at Goldman Sachs. Another sign that it was time to leave.

How did we get here? The firm changed the way it thought about leadership. Leadership used to be about ideas, setting an example and doing the right thing. Today, if you make enough money for the firm (and are not currently an ax murderer) you will be promoted into a position of influence.

What are three quick ways to become a leader? a) Execute on the firm’s “axes,

I think the writer is on point, but that very problem is only a microcosm for our human society. That attitude and thought process is everywhere.

Didn't even read it but I'm assuming dude isn't gonna forgo his last paycheck, or pension, or 401k or any other assets he might've gained while employed by this "toxic and destructive" bank is he?
If he is and I missed it, someone please lemme know.

Originally Posted by ceemcee

Didn't even read it but I'm assuming dude isn't gonna forgo his last paycheck, or pension, or 401k or any other assets he might've gained while employed by this "toxic and destructive" bank is he?

Why would he forgo any of what when he worked for it?

[h1][/h1][h1]Guy Who Rented All 94 Rooms of Aspen Hotel for Party Scores Awesome New Goldman Job[/h1][h2]Taibblog[/h2][h3]by: Matt Taibbi[/h3]
34627d46ffd6a339bc1ec29ae1b5faf86f39877a.jpg

A Goldman Sachs sign on the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange.

REUTERS /BRENDAN MCDERMID /LANDOV

Remember the story about the Wall Street guy who rented out all 94 rooms of an Aspen hotel for three days for his daughter's Bat Mitzvah?

The main character in that tale was an individual named Jeffrey Verschleiser, a former Bear Stearns executive who was instrumental in helping blow up that venerable firm. Verschleiser among other things was reportedly involved with an elaborate Wall Street version of a merchandise return scam, only instead of taking the proceeds from returned TVs and stereos, his unit was pocketing the cash from crap mortgages sold back to banks on behalf of investors.

Verschleiser also made a bundle burning Bear's bond insurers, whom he bet against after inducing them to insure his crappy mortgage bonds, nicknamed "Sack of $%%*" bonds by one of the funny dudes in his department. Verschleiser reportedly bragged that he made $55 million shorting his own bond insurers in the space of three weeks. Those interested in the whole sorry story should check out reporter Teri Buhl's excellent Atlantic magazine piece entitled, "E-mails Suggest Bear Stearns Cheated Clients Out of Billions."

After Verschleiser decided to monopolize the elegant Hotel Jerome in Aspen for his daughter's Bat Mitzvah, news reports about his identity leaked out, and the event spurred some local controversy in Aspen and plenty of inflamed commentary around the interwebs. But it seems that the negative press has not hurt Verschleiser's career. This is from Bloomberg today:
Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS), the fifth-biggest U.S. bank by assets, named Justin Gmelich global head of credit trading as part of management changes in the wake of high-level departures.

Jeffrey L. Verschleiser will become global head of mortgage trading, according to an internal memo obtained by Bloomberg News. Gmelich and Verschleiser fill roles that were held by Donald R. Mullen until his departure earlier this year. Michael DuVally, a spokesman for the New York-based firm, confirmed the memo’s contents.

I'm sometimes asked if I've noticed any change in Goldman Sachs since the financial crash of 2008. I'd suggest that anyone who would ask that question simply check out this news item. It's not merely that Verschleiser appears to be a titanically entitled *%#+%%! of the Let-Them-Eat-Cake variety; it's also that this is a guy who was personally named in a number of http://www.cjr.org/the_audit/fhfa_suits_try_to_hold_individ.phpmajor lawsuits involving exactly the sorts of tawdry behaviors that caused the crash -- like knowingly dumping "sack of $%%*" mortgages on the market, or betting against your own clients after sticking them with millions' worth of defective products.

So this guy, who made the news both for his professional unscrupulousness and for his personal *******dom, is the guy that Goldman picks to head its global mortgage operation.

As the Russians say: submitted without commentary.

My boy works at GS and he loves it.

Originally Posted by RedMan

EXACTLY.
My point is, don't put your former employer out there like that, like you're of a higher moral character when you've been working there for that long. 
If he's not giving the money back, he's just as guilty as the rest of em.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

He believed in an illusion.
Yep
Employees of poor moral fiber talk reckless about the customer/clients and get promoted alllllllll the time
laugh.gif
I don't know what he was expecting, it's nothing new...

EXACTLY.
My point is, don't put your former employer out there like that, like you're of a higher moral character when you've been working there for that long. 
while a valid point, the article clearly states that GS took a turn for the worse only in the past few years (around the time of the crash) under the reigns of Blankfein. So yea, Ima agree that he's maybe just trying to reprieve his conscience by venting like this, but at least he's got one to say something. 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

EXACTLY.
while a valid point, the article clearly states that GS took a turn for the worse only in the past few years (around the time of the crash) under the reigns of Blankfein. So yea, Ima agree that he's maybe just trying to reprieve his conscience by venting like this, but at least he's got one to say something. 

True.  He DID resign so I see what you're saying. 

Anyone seen Colbert discuss this? He summed it up pretty well.

Called dude a Banker-dict Arnold
laugh.gif

im sure everyone notices the percentage of greed growing around throughout our quick evolution into the 20th century and on. people will say that its there, see it around them, but no one will stop it, even if youre doing it yourself. theres just too many people to not have the every man for himself mentality. 1 billion more people in the last 12 years, and that wont slow down.

It's 5 am so I can't read this right now.. lol.. but

I'm assuming people are starting to put the pieces together of who calls the shots in this world and how evil they are.

Goldman Sachs, Bank Of America, Chase.

Guess who works for them?

300.obama.cm.102710.jpg

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

im sure everyone notices the percentage of greed growing around throughout our quick evolution into the 20th century and on. people will say that its there, see it around them, but no one will stop it, even if youre doing it yourself. theres just too many people to not have the every man for himself mentality. 1 billion more people in the last 12 years, and that wont slow down.

Bull !!%+.

It will slow down. Look at history. Our rapid population growth is due to oil. We exist because of oil. In order for the population to reduce, oil will need to disappear.

and YESTERDAY we made history. Gas is higher than it's ever been.. EVER. Meaning we are at peak oil. Oil prices go up until you start running out of oil. That's when no one can afford to buy oil and everything else will shut down. Food, electricity, etc etc.

It will take some time but we will become a new civilization. All we have to do is change our minds and believe. We're transitioning from a Type 0 civilization to a Type 1 civilization right now.

I hope people actually read what he had to say. You don't get an honest insider's perspective very often. Apparently it had quite an impact.
[h1]Op-Ed Cost Goldman Sachs $2.15 Billion Yesterday[/h1]
large.jpg

Alexander Abad-Santos Mar 15, 2012

Greg Smith's unflattering glimpse into Goldman Sachs' corrupt culture triggered a financial blow to the firm Wednesday, as the company lost $2.15 billion of its market value, making Smith's 1,283-word op-ed worth a whopping $1.675 million per word. 

Goldman Sachs, as Bloomberg reports, saw it shares drop 3.4 percent in trading Wednesday. Even those in the company felt its impact, as one unnamed Goldman Sachs employee told The New York Times' Dealbook that Smith's op-ed landed "like a bomb"-- a bomb that spurred an internal (and very PR-friendly) memo from CEO Lloyd Blankfein.  "[O]ur response is best demonstrated in how we really work with and help our clients through our commitment to their long-term interests." wrote Blankfein, implicitly addressing Smith's allegations of Goldman's "callous" disregard for its clients. "That priority has distinguished us in the past, through the financial crisis and today."

Eyes will be on Goldman's stock today (it's holding steady in Germany for now, reports Bloomberg), and for the year its shares are still up 33 percent despite Wednesday's losses. As for Smith? Dealbook talked to a recruiting exec about his newfound fame. "There is a rule of thumb when interviewing — you don’t bad-mouth your old boss. No one wants to hear it," Eric Fleming, the chief executive of the Wall Street recruiting firm Exemplar Partners, told Dealbook. "You can argue something like this needed to be said, but if you hire the guy who said it you are taking the risk he will do it again."

Someone sent me both articles yesterday...read them. 
Very interesting about the huge loss posted after the letter. 

However, that dude will poach a few clients, and start his own asset management firm/fund.  He'll be fine. 

Couple of things here...

1) Dude is NOT an executive at Goldman, he is an Executive Director. Totally different level of responsibility... there are many other GS employees at the same level he is.

2) What perplexes me is the "obligation to clients" argument that everyone throws around. I really don't think most people know much about finance, or where these investment banks derive all of their income from.

If you're in one of the advisory businesses, then yes, you have a fiduciary responsibility to the best interest of your clients. So wealth management, investment banking, and any advisory practices do have a responsibility to the client.

Sales and Trading, however, do not. When you go shopping to a car salesman, do you expect them to sell you what's in YOUR best interest, or their's? How about when you go to FootLocker. Do you think dude who works on salary + commission is really gonna sell you the $30 chucks when he can swing the $150 Nikes your way?

From what I see, Greg Smith is head of Derivatives, so he's a salesman. A salesman's responsibility is to maximize profit/revenue. Period. It's on the responsibility of the client to look that up and see if it's a viable/profitable investment for THEM.

The people who should really be pissed are the investors in Goldman's clients. They gave them the responsibility to invest their money wisely, which the fund managers did not do.

Greg Smith strikes me as a bit of a hypocrite. I'm sure the same behavior was going on in Goldman since before the financial crisis, but he wasn't saying anything when the fat checks were coming in. This year, however, there's record low bonuses across the board ESPECIALLY in Greg's division. He probably didn't get the bonus he planned for and wants to make an exit.

He's jumping from a sinking ship that he also helped sink, only to point back at the boat and tell everyone how wrong they are. To all the watchers on the shore, he's a saint... some guy who had the gall to stand up for what's right. He's using this as a strategic bail out to either get into the Buyside or Politics. Oh yea... he made sure to do this AFTER bonus season too. Now, because he has this pseudo-saint reputation, any firm that picks him up will look like they're all for their clients' interests.

This the type of situation where a dude will tell a girl not to talk to his mans because he's a goon... only to turn around and bang shorty out for himself because she trusts his "good intentions".

Flawless Execution

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

Couple of things here...

1) Dude is NOT an executive at Goldman, he is an Executive Director. Totally different level of responsibility... there are many other GS employees at the same level he is.

2) What perplexes me is the "obligation to clients" argument that everyone throws around. I really don't think most people know much about finance, or where these investment banks derive all of their income from.

If you're in one of the advisory businesses, then yes, you have a fiduciary responsibility to the best interest of your clients. So wealth management, investment banking, and any advisory practices do have a responsibility to the client.

Sales and Trading, however, do not. When you go shopping to a car salesman, do you expect them to sell you what's in YOUR best interest, or their's? How about when you go to FootLocker. Do you think dude who works on salary + commission is really gonna sell you the $30 chucks when he can swing the $150 Nikes your way?

From what I see, Greg Smith is head of Derivatives, so he's a salesman. A salesman's responsibility is to maximize profit/revenue. Period. It's on the responsibility of the client to look that up and see if it's a viable/profitable investment for THEM.

The people who should really be pissed are the investors in Goldman's clients. They gave them the responsibility to invest their money wisely, which the fund managers did not do.

Greg Smith strikes me as a bit of a hypocrite. I'm sure the same behavior was going on in Goldman since before the financial crisis, but he wasn't saying anything when the fat checks were coming in. This year, however, there's record low bonuses across the board ESPECIALLY in Greg's division. He probably didn't get the bonus he planned for and wants to make an exit.

He's jumping from a sinking ship that he also helped sink, only to point back at the boat and tell everyone how wrong they are. To all the watchers on the shore, he's a saint... some guy who had the gall to stand up for what's right. He's using this as a strategic bail out to either get into the Buyside or Politics. Oh yea... he made sure to do this AFTER bonus season too. Now, because he has this pseudo-saint reputation, any firm that picks him up will look like they're all for their clients' interests.

This the type of situation where a dude will tell a girl not to talk to his mans because he's a goon... only to turn around and bang shorty out for himself because she trusts his "good intentions".

Flawless Execution
Blankfein is that you?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I kid, I kid and while most people may disagree with your post, I think it hits the nail on the head. You can't spell genius with out the G and the S
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom