Is Nike no longer as cool as it used to be?

Hi y’all. Can you help settle a debate for me?

I told a friend that Nike was no longer the cool hype must have sneaker brand among Gen Z (and in general.)

I told him other brands (imo like ASICS) have overtaken them in coolness with the current generation. I also pointed out that the past several Jordan releases have sold out while other brands are selling out and more sought after.

IMO gen z doesn’t really **** with Nike.

As a counter my friend said all of his Gen Z neighbors are still crazy about Dunks and Nike is still as cool and hype as it always has been. He also stated Nike’s earnings are the same which is actual evidence.

But idk. IMO the vibes are down. It’s not the same.

So what do y’all think?

Nike and its partners have done some unscrupulous deals over the past few years, people will look for alternative brands since they can’t get the “limited shoe” that’s marketed to them.

Last edited:
nah not really. round here they are associated with middle aged nurses.

Hokas flames. Have these two.

0F824FAC-42BE-44B7-A5CC-600B267D2EBB.jpeg

IMG_1088.jpeg

I like em alot.

Again as far as Nike/Jordan goes, no one said they are dead. They just arent what they were (popularity wise) a couple years ago. Look at resale prices, look at shoes sitting. Good for those who actually want them though. Give it some time, its popularity/hype whatever you wanna call it will go up again.

Right. I don’t think Nike or Jordan are dead by any measurement, but the hype definitely isn’t there the same way it was even just two years ago.

All these reimagined Jordan retros are sitting. Several years back, people were paying resale for flyknit AJ1s.

there isn’t this insanity for every Jordan or Nike release anymore.

There's always going to be Nike stuff that sells out. Ironically most of it is retro (Jordans, dunks, etc).

They are not cool in the sense that "hey I need some new running shoes, let me get some Nikes" because if you want function, you need to be buying Asics.

Whatever the new Air Maxes or basketball shoes are (non sig), most of them are boring. They messed up by not signing Curry or Embiid or other big personality players (who are actually good). So they've been struggling. If LaMelo Ball and Steph Curry got kids wearing Puma and Under Armor then that's a big miss by Nike.

So yea, still cool but mostly because of the old stuff.

Hokas flames. Have these two.

0F824FAC-42BE-44B7-A5CC-600B267D2EBB.jpeg

IMG_1088.jpeg

I like em alot.

Again as far as Nike/Jordan goes, no one said they are dead. They just arent what they were (popularity wise) a couple years ago. Look at resale prices, look at shoes sitting. Good for those who actually want them though. Give it some time, its popularity/hype whatever you wanna call it will go up again.

Those are terrible, my brother in Christ. Respectfully.

Nike is one of the strongest brands in the world. Sorry you are wrong.

Asics have always been dope and are on the ascent from a popularity standpoint but still pale in comparison to Nike, Adidas, and even Puma. Asics had roughly 3B in revenues last year (Euros) They not even on this chart lol.....

of course cool is subjective, but what's cooler than money? Nike isn't just dominating, their lead is growing.

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 10.58.07 PM.png

They’re not, but other brands have simply been doing great things the last few years. Their running shoes suck. I personally would rather wear NB or Saucony.
as a former runner the pegasus line has fallen off imo, I really only wear NB for my casual and workout shoes

Back
Top Bottom