Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Yeah bro. I hope those records never see the light of day. But I'm not sure how they can force him to give up his personal cell phone records. Obviously the argument is, if you have nothing to hide why won't you release the records? But at the same time what gives them the right to access his private personal cell?

I'm just ready for the season to start. Hopefully we can open strong and go on a run. Winning cures a lot of bull $%$*.

[h2] [/h2]
[h2]LSU’s Best Kept Secret [/h2]
sec-football-facebook.gif

sec-football-articles.gif

college-football-articles.gif
[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Share Article[/color]

Jul 15th, 2011
By Jon

2c8992577173b1db91aa6ff65410549f

AXA1011204356_Ole_Miss_at_LSU.gif

Photo from Icon SMI

Russell Shepard entered LSU with very high expectations by all the major recruiting agencies. He was a big-time prospect who played quarterback in high school, but he was figured to transition over to receiver quite nicely once he got on campus in Baton Rouge.

Shepard enrolled early, and as expected, Les Miles moved Shepard over to receiver, but he did allow him to play some quarterback in the spring and worked him as the Wildcat quarterback.

LSU learned real fast that Shepard can be that everything, impact player they need in this league. During his freshman campaign, Shepard took direct snaps at quarterback, screens at wide receiver and reverses from the slot, but even still, LSU’s offense never has quite figured out to how to fully use him as a staple and playmaker.

Former LSU Offensive Coordinator Gary Crowton never could quite figure out how to maximize Shepard’s ability, and that might be part of the reason the offense has been rather suppressed during the latter portion of his tenure.

So, here we are – Russell Shepard is yet again entering another SEC season figured to bring big things for this LSU offense.

However, the new guy in town – OC Steve Kragthorpe – could be the best thing that ever happened to Shepard at LSU. Shepard has settled nicely into his receiver role this spring, and he certainly hopes this passing game can pick it up.

Last season, Shepard started things off with a 50-yard touchdown run against North Carolina, and he caught his first touchdown pass against the Tar Heels later in the game. That was the only receiving touchdown on the year for Shepard – believe it or not.

For the life of me, I cannot believe we are still talking about Shepard hopefully being a breakout player in 2011.

However, in order for Shepard to be effective, he has to touch the football a minimum of 10-12 times per game.

He is often compared to Percy Harvin. Let’s take a look at Harvin’s stats during his tenure at Florida compared to Shepard’s:
[table][tr][td]NAME[/td][td]Year[/td][td]Rec. Yards[/td][td]Rush Yards[/td][td]Total Yards[/td][td]TD[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Percy Harvin[/td][td]Fr. ’06[/td][td]34 for 427[/td][td]41 for 428[/td][td]855[/td][td]5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Russell Shepard[/td][td]Fr. ’09[/td][td]5 for 34[/td][td]45 for 277[/td][td]311[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Percy Harvin[/td][td]So. ’07[/td][td]59 for 858[/td][td]83 for 764[/td][td]1,622[/td][td]10[/td][/tr][tr][td]Russell Shepard[/td][td]So. ’10[/td][td]22 for 254[/td][td]32 for 226[/td][td]480[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Percy Harvin[/td][td]Jr. ’08[/td][td]40 for 644[/td][td]70-660[/td][td]1,304[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]Russell Shepard[/td][td]Jr. ’11[/td][td]?[/td][td]?[/td][td]?[/td][td]?[/td][/tr][/table]
Another interesting method of comparison is to look at the average length of play (both receiving and rushing) of Percy Harvin and Russell Shepard during these years:
[table][tr][td]NAME[/td][td]Year[/td][td]Avg Rec Play[/td][td]Long[/td][td]Avg Rushing Play[/td][td]Long[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Percy Harvin[/td][td]Fr. ’06[/td][td]12.6 yds[/td][td]58 yds[/td][td]10.4 yds[/td][td]67 yds[/td][/tr][tr][td]Russell Shepard[/td][td]Fr. ’09[/td][td]6.8 yds[/td][td]13 yds[/td][td]6.2 yds[/td][td]69 yds[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Percy Harvin[/td][td]So. ’07[/td][td]14.5 yds[/td][td]52 yds[/td][td]9.2 yds[/td][td]66 yds[/td][/tr][tr][td]Russell Shepard[/td][td]So. ’10[/td][td]7.7 yds[/td][td]22 yds[/td][td]7.1 yds[/td][td]50 yds[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Percy Harvin[/td][td]Jr. ’08[/td][td]16.1 yds[/td][td]70 yds[/td][td]9.4 yds[/td][td]80 yds[/td][/tr][tr][td]Russell Shepard[/td][td]Jr. ’11[/td][td]?[/td][td]?[/td][td]?[/td][td]?[/td][/tr][/table]
Obviously as you can see, the production of Harvin was much greater than Shepard in his freshman and sophomore seasons, but I do consider them very similar. While the talent of Percy Harvin is tough to compare anyone to, it’s also worth noting that the Florida offense during Harvin’s tenure was much different than the LSU offense which Shepard has been playing in.

1,000 total yards and 10 touchdowns should not be out of the question, but it would be doubling his 2010 performance.

The one main point is this – Shepard cannot be a factor unless you give him the football. A guy can have all the talent in the world, but if he has no one to get him the ball he’s useless.

If the Tigers want to have a high-octane explosive offense, Russell Shepard simply has to touch the football more times per game. Steve Kragthorpe will be looking to do just that this year in Baton Rouge.

Shep 
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

those stats dont tell Garcia's story.

he's still a +$** up. he's the reason they lost to Auburn.

his fumbling and INTs got him Yanked.

- IMO, Bracy is a waste of a football scholarship.

- Richard Samuel's been garbage, still garbage. good move getting him back at RB.

- Les Miles & Nem are wasting Russy's skills, dude should be the focal point of that offense.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

- IMO, Bracy is a waste of a football scholarship.
You don't think he offers anything on the FB field?
- Les Miles & Nem are wasting Russy's skills, dude should be the focal point of that offense.
Definitely. If he had it to do over again, I wonder if he still goes to LSU. 2 yrs of eligibility down the drain.

No way Russ goes there if he could do it over again.
laugh.gif
Les sold him a bill of goods and he bought it. Dude wanted to play and was sold by LSU on playing quarterback...

Think he looks over at Austin and wonders why he walked away from Texas when Garrett Gilbert committed?
laugh.gif

Free Bruce Feldman

let me get my kobe on right quick

ESPN IS SOME @%%@%%! %%@+%!#......suspending a great journalist over craig james b........%*@% outta here

Doubt anyone cares but Dwight Smith is no longer with TCU. Dont know the reason, but guessing academics.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Yeah bro. I hope those records never see the light of day. But I'm not sure how they can force him to give up his personal cell phone records. Obviously the argument is, if you have nothing to hide why won't you release the records? But at the same time what gives them the right to access his private personal cell?

I'm just ready for the season to start. Hopefully we can open strong and go on a run. Winning cures a lot of bull $%$*.

I'm not 100% sure they can force him to, but I believe that since this university issued phone was blank and there are calls from other coaches as well as the AD to his Cleveland cell that they'd determine it's pretty clear he used that phone for university business, and thus he has to make it public because he's an employee of the state. I think Sarah Palin even had to make her personal yahoo email records public because she used them for business as well. 
BTW Craig James is a POS and ESPN is ******ed. Bruce Feldman was one of the better guys over at ESPN and they fire him for this bull *!$!. I definitely wouldn't give two craps if Craig James was let go, but Bruce Feldman actually did a good job. 

I mean he ran 10.05 in his 1st year ever running track (supposedly) and pulled up lame @ the end.

Safe to say his future is on the track.

But if he can provide a Trindon Holiday spark, I'd say he's worth the scholly.

#freebruce is quite the movement. His suspension was lifted after 1 day.

ESPN felt the pressure.

They tried to tie everything to Tressel on his way to the bottom of the lake. I hope they clean house eventually in Columbus.

Dream BIG! CMR aint goin nowhere. #1 RB 3 years in a row? 
nerd.gif

Note: UGA’s fifth commitment from Dawg Night was 2014 Apalachee High School RB Stanley Williams. He’s a rising sophomore in high school. Williams was both offered and accepted a UGA scholarship offer after being clocked in the 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds, according toScout.com’s Chad Simmons.

nerd.gif

<GoldbergVoice> Who's NEXT?

Back
Top Bottom