Got a quick question about exercising

I'm about to start working out soon and what I wanted to ask regards getting leaner, while also building muscle. For the past few weeks I've just beenbuilding, taking my protein shakes and whatnot, but I wanna know in which particular order should I do things if I also wanna burn fat now. The 3 factorsinclude:
  • Running
  • Protein shake
  • Lifting
So in what order should I do things to get the most out of my workout?

don't drink muscle milk or protein shakes. I heard it shrinks your package. I was only using muscle milk for a month before a co worker told me. I stoppedtaking it immediately. I don't want to take any chances.

My husband always says to have the protein after the work out...(no more than an hour after) and I normally do weights first and then running/cardio...I findit more effective. But its always good to switch it up a bit so your body doesn't get used to routine

Sports and training my friend.

I'd say you drink half the protein shake before you run aswell as afterwards though...then lift.

Originally Posted by Unphased4

don't drink muscle milk or protein shakes. I heard it shrinks your package. I was only using muscle milk for a month before a co worker told me. I stopped taking it immediately. I don't want to take any chances.
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

That's a lie, some people think Muscle Milk has roids in it smh.

But for the OP
Run
Lift
Protein Shake

It's best that you have it afterward because that's when your muscles are broken down and need to be replenished, having a small meal helps becauseyour body need's carbs.

don't drink muscle milk or protein shakes. I heard it shrinks your package. I was only using muscle milk for a month before a co worker told me. I stopped taking it immediately. I don't want to take any chances.

100% FALSE

Thanks for all the help so far. As for Unphased, I think your coworker has protein shakes confused with steroids. Sorry for posting in this forum, I forgotS&T existed.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

That's a lie, some people think Muscle Milk has roids in it smh.

But for the OP
Run
Lift
Protein Shake
Word to that. My friend who is into the supplement drinks said it's best to drink the protein shake ASAP..no longer than 20 mins after yourwork out. My dude was around 140 lbs, got up to 180 lbs with the drinks and rigorous lifting schedule. But now he's injured and waiting for a surgery sohe can't lift and he got back down to 140 with the quickness.

OJ or sweets after workout to increase the glycogen stores in your muscles. This will keep your muscle endurance up which will allow you to train harder.

In what order? Three factors? There are more than three factors, and the order will depend on what your goals are and how far along you are in your training.

You want to consider:

Nutrition: Carbs, Fats, Proteins and what sources to get these nutrients from. You'll also want to find out how many calories you'll have to consume.

Workout: What kind of program are you doing? High intensity, high rep, heavy lifting. What body parts are you training on what days. What's your cardiolike? High intensity, low intesity, and duration?

You want to build muscle, while losing fat simultaneously. It's not impossible, but it's tough considering you'd have to get the perfect balance ofnutrition to help you lose fat, while eating enough so you build muscle.

For me, I find I respond really well to extremely high intensity weight training, (Heart rate at or around 120-130 with minimal rests and good form) and a dietbalanced with simple carbs (mostly from corn tortillas), fats and proteins (mostly from red meat) The goal is to get your metabolism running wild burningthrough fat, while eating the right amounts of protein ad fats to preserve and spare muscle tissue from being used as energy.

It gets more complicated but this should suffice.

i read you're supposed to have protein before you workout that way your body can access it while you workout as oppose to just storing it afterwards. alsothe protein that isn't used to build muscle will be turned into fat.

also im not sure if protein shakes or muscle milk actually have roids in them, but i prefer just eating stuff with a lot of protein as opposed to thesupplements. think about it not only are you getting protein but you're getting the other nutrients your body requires.

more importantly protein is full of calories so if you just drink shakes not only are you increasing the amount of calories you consume, but you aren'tgetting those other nutrients.

lastly don't forget about carbs they're what help the protein build muscle. if you want a lot of protein i recommend hard boiled eggs but don't eatthe yolk, chicken breast, lean meat, and lots of fruits.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

In what order? Three factors? There are more than three factors, and the order will depend on what your goals are and how far along you are in your training.

You want to consider:

Nutrition: Carbs, Fats, Proteins and what sources to get these nutrients from. You'll also want to find out how many calories you'll have to consume.

Workout: What kind of program are you doing? High intensity, high rep, heavy lifting. What body parts are you training on what days. What's your cardio like? High intensity, low intesity, and duration?

You want to build muscle, while losing fat simultaneously. It's not impossible, but it's tough considering you'd have to get the perfect balance of nutrition to help you lose fat, while eating enough so you build muscle.

For me, I find I respond really well to extremely high intensity weight training, (Heart rate at or around 120-130 with minimal rests and good form) and a diet balanced with simple carbs (mostly from corn tortillas), fats and proteins (mostly from red meat) The goal is to get your metabolism running wild burning through fat, while eating the right amounts of protein ad fats to preserve and spare muscle tissue from being used as energy.

You're absolutely right, I was just trying to keep this thread simple. I believe my metabolism sucks though, and I'm still trying to findout the right meal combo that'll get it up. I find that if I don't eat until im stuffed..like around 70% full with lots of meat, a salad and an orangeor something has been good so far though. I also have rice as my source of carbs (don't know if that's good or not?)

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

i read you're supposed to have protein before you workout that way your body can access it while you workout as oppose to just storing it afterwards. also the protein that isn't used to build muscle will be turned into fat.

also im not sure if protein shakes or muscle milk actually have roids in them, but i prefer just eating stuff with a lot of protein as opposed to the supplements. think about it not only are you getting protein but you're getting the other nutrients your body requires.

more importantly protein is full of calories so if you just drink shakes not only are you increasing the amount of calories you consume, but you aren't getting those other nutrients.

lastly don't forget about carbs they're what help the protein build muscle. if you want a lot of protein i recommend hard boiled eggs but don't eat the yolk, chicken breast, lean meat, and lots of fruits.
You're supposed to have an energy source before you workout. Your body uses carbs way more effectively as energy than it does protein, sobefore a workout (maybe 30 min to an hour at most) have something simple. A metrix bar works for me, but keep in mind you don't want to eat anything fattysince it will hinder your blood flow and the ability to get a good pump going.

Protein will be the last thing to be turned into fat. Carbs will be stored into fat if not used, (ala atkins diet) but protein won't, in normal ammountsanyways.

Carbs are important, but a double edged sword. Eat too much, and your body will store it into fat. Eat too little, and you'll have no energy for yourworkout making your time in the gym completely useless and a waste of yours and other's time. Find the balance, everyone is different. You should, however,have a good simple carb source after you workout as well, to help shuttle the protein into your muscles for recovery.

I kinda got into the routine and I've lost a good chunk of weight while getting some muscle...basically, the short answer is, go to the gym and do cardio3-4 times a week and do some weights as well. More importantly, watch what you eat and just make good decisions in what you eat, if you haven't already.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

You want to consider:

Workout: What kind of program are you doing? High intensity, high rep, heavy lifting. What body parts are you training on what days. What's your cardio like? High intensity, low intesity, and duration?

You want to build muscle, while losing fat simultaneously. It's not impossible, but it's tough considering you'd have to get the perfect balance of nutrition to help you lose fat, while eating enough so you build muscle.

For me, I find I respond really well to extremely high intensity weight training, (Heart rate at or around 120-130 with minimal rests and good form) and a diet balanced with simple carbs (mostly from corn tortillas), fats and proteins (mostly from red meat) The goal is to get your metabolism running wild burning through fat, while eating the right amounts of protein ad fats to preserve and spare muscle tissue from being used as energy.

You're absolutely right, I was just trying to keep this thread simple. I believe my metabolism sucks though, and I'm still trying to find out the right meal combo that'll get it up. I find that if I don't eat until im stuffed..like around 70% full with lots of meat, a salad and an orange or something has been good so far though. I also have rice as my source of carbs (don't know if that's good or not?)
You're Asian aren't you. Predominantly rice centered diets too? Lol.

Metabolism: You're going to have to train it to do what you want it to. Eat smaller meals. Measure the calories, not the percentage full you feel.Depending on how much you weigh, and your percentage of lean tissue, you're going to want to eat right around your maintenance level, which for me is about2800-3000 calories, divided into about 5 meals so that's right around 600 calories a meal. In the meantime you're burning off the calories and thensome with high intensity lifting and cardio.

Rice is cool, but it's so easy to over eat and measure your intake. It's also really starchy so it stores into fat pretty quickly if not used.

1% chocolate milk is also a great post workout beverage. It has the perfect ratio of fats-carbs-protein.

Yeah I'm Asian, and all my family cooks is rice and rice-based products...ALL the time. It's so hard to avoid, and I blame them for my childhoodobesity. I think I'm gonna tell them to buy more chicken and proteins, and probably eat that with a little bit of rice, half a regular sized bowl orsomething.

what happened to when NT had the Official Workout thread.... i always picked up knowledge reading that piece.

you are suppose to run after workout.
protein drinks after workout.
if you plan on running without working out, you run immediately after waking up and not eating anything so that you take advantage of your fasting (sleep)process.

Back
Top Bottom