GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

All those schools you've mentioned are target schools for high finance career.

Wharton alumni is deep in Wall Street and Harvard, it speaks for itself. It is pretty much all around the best school anyone can get into. I can't speak much for West Coast schools :lol:

Looking at where the future is headed, I would definitely recommend majoring in Engineering/Comp Sci at SEAS with Econ at Wharton. Intern every summer at a bulge bracket, network heavy and have a proven track of leadership growth. Also, seek a mentor in the industry.

I work in high finance now and he's interested in it. Those schools were already ones that I was applying at. I'm just bringing him along now.

And he's way smarter than I was at that age.

Finished school back in December of 15...landed a job in my field for a pretty prestigious company that featured an academy...I excelled in the academy now I'm in the role giving it my all...want to go back and get my MBA...but my undergrad gpa isn't too high...will this program and role be enough to offset my gpa?

Want to go back for my MBA but I can keep making great money without one. I have about $57K in debt and my MBA would be around $30-$35K after employer tuition assistance.

I want to do it, but I don't necessarily have to in order to advance in high finance which is why I'm so hesitant about incurring additional debt.

Finished school back in December of 15...landed a job in my field for a pretty prestigious company that featured an academy...I excelled in the academy now I'm in the role giving it my all...want to go back and get my MBA...but my undergrad gpa isn't too high...will this program and role be enough to offset my gpa?

Depending on your gpa, I would say, talk to someone in admissions for the program you're interested in and ask them what you could do to increase your odds of acceptance.

Want to go back for my MBA but I can keep making great money without one. I have about $57K in debt and my MBA would be around $30-$35K after employer tuition assistance.

I want to do it, but I don't necessarily have to in order to advance in high finance which is why I'm so hesitant about incurring additional debt.

If you don't need to don't do it unless u want to do it for personal achievement. If the cost of the degree is offset by the amount you'll earn w/ it, then you have to consider that as well.

Ever considered doing the CFA (not sure if that applies to what you're doing). Depending on what you're getting into it's viewed as an MBA equivalent.

Same here man, I want to get my MBA , but I really don't want to add on anymore student loan debt. I'm currently at 30K with UG, the most I would be willing to add for my MBA is 20K.

I'm interested in UMD's MBA program and its about 90K. My employer covers 10K/yr but will cover more if they believe you are worth it.

Already making good money, and I am not sure how much of an impact the MBA will have on my career. I'm more interested in the networking and gaining a business background honestly.

Ever considered doing the CFA (not sure if that applies to what you're doing). Depending on what you're getting into it's viewed as an MBA equivalent.

Lolwut

:rofl:

They are two totally different achievements that are applicable to people on a scenario by scenario basis.

Lolwut

:rofl:

They are two totally different achievements that are applicable to people on a scenario by scenario basis.
Idk what the need for the rolling Smiley was but where I'm working at its 100% viewed as MBA equivalent which is why I put that portion in quotes.

Fully aware that it's situation dependent but the term "High finance" is vague so I wanted to put it out there.

All those schools you've mentioned are target schools for high finance career.

Wharton alumni is deep in Wall Street and Harvard, it speaks for itself. It is pretty much all around the best school anyone can get into. I can't speak much for West Coast schools :lol:

Looking at where the future is headed, I would definitely recommend majoring in Engineering/Comp Sci at SEAS with Econ at Wharton. Intern every summer at a bulge bracket, network heavy and have a proven track of leadership growth. Also, seek a mentor in the industry.

I used to conduct first round interviews at target schools and that engineering/econ combo is pretty overrated. A frequent issue that came up was always asking kids to explain why cs/engineering over straight economics as a major, or why they are interested in finance. All these kids could answer technicals fairly easily, but the answers for why finance over tech is what caused a lot of them to not move on. Do econ + stats or econ + math. Does he have any idea what specific industry in finance he wants to go in? I'll vouch for my alma mater here and say check out Notre Dame. Our alumni are willing to take bullets to put you in a good spot.

I used to conduct first round interviews at target schools and that engineering/econ combo is pretty overrated. A frequent issue that came up was always asking kids to explain why cs/engineering over straight economics as a major, or why they are interested in finance. All these kids could answer technicals fairly easily, but the answers for why finance over tech is what caused a lot of them to not move on. Do econ + stats or econ + math. Does he have any idea what specific industry in finance he wants to go in? I'll vouch for my alma mater here and say check out Notre Dame. Our alumni are willing to take bullets to put you in a good spot.
Good info. I would think finance over econ with an engineering major .

I know a few people who did the CSS + business minor .

Last edited:

I definitely understand your point and it is a great one! Those alternatives are great and on par with what I had suggested. Although, I am thinking long term and with how Fin-tech is evolving, quant heavy courses with Eng/CompSci is a good bet.

1. With HFT funds dominating now and for the foreseeable future, CompSci/Eng background will be a leverage. Assuming the kid will have the aptitude to end up at funds like Two Sigma or the like.

2. If the kid or any other individual wants to jump ship from Finance to Tech at the valley, that CompSci/Eng background will also be great a leverage.

Also, Mendoza at Notre Dame is pretty high up there. The location is the only negative factor. Great school nonetheless.

Anyone here at Darden (UVA) MBA ? :nerd:

Last edited:
I just got accepted into my top MBA of choice (SCU). It's no top 25 or anything but I strongly believe it will lead me to where I want to be.

I work in Silicon Valley so it made sense to choose this school over the others. I'm pretty excited as I worked so hard since I graduated UCD to get here. I was a psychology major.

I can say that after talking to a lot of admissions officers, your GPA is only one part of the application. Make yourself standout, let them know your strong points in your personal statements, resume etc. Network at MBA tours, ask questions and attend information sessions, they will remember you and see that you are really interested.

Also, don't forget about the GMAT. Other than that, I took some classes at CC to make up for some of my bad grades in quantitative related courses. Best of luck to you man

Last edited:
I definitely understand your point and it is a great one! Those alternatives are great and on par with what I had suggested. Although, I am thinking long term and with how Fin-tech is evolving, quant heavy courses with Eng/CompSci is a good bet.

1. With HFT funds dominating now and for the foreseeable future, CompSci/Eng background will be a leverage. Assuming the kid will have the aptitude to end up at funds like Two Sigma or the like.

2. If the kid or any other individual wants to jump ship from Finance to Tech at the valley, that CompSci/Eng background will also be great a leverage.

Also, Mendoza at Notre Dame is pretty high up there. The location is the only negative factor. Great school nonetheless.

We have a big Darden contingent here, solid school.

Any Haas/ Wharton/ Fuqua/ Anderson kids hit me up if you're interested in a spot in LA!

Last edited:

One of my friends from back in undergrad goes to Darden. He was trying to break into MBB and said it was relatively easy there.

Anyone here at Kellogg/Booth?

I am interested in their IT/entrepreneur opportunities , but I just noticed that they only offer full time admission for MBA (excluding Executive) .

What do you think about UMDs MBA ? They have a decent rank .

Have a decent program with Under Armour, wouldn't go there myself though.

What topic? I taught my first semester last Spring. And agreed...twas lit.

You guys have your phd? When i finish my masters depending on whag moves i make career wise I wanted to teach/lecture part time at a local university or community college.

You guys have your phd? When i finish my masters depending on whag moves i make career wise I wanted to teach/lecture part time at a local university or community college.

I've got another 14 months or so til I get my PhD. In terms of being an adjunct, they rarely have a PhD, just experience and maaaaybe an advanced degree. I've had friends in various fields (journalism, marketing) start teaching one course at the university level (UCLA, UW) within 3-4 years of completing their Bachelors. So you getting on part-time, especially at the CC level, shouldn't be a problem.

I've got another 14 months or so til I get my PhD. In terms of being an adjunct, they rarely have a PhD, just experience and maaaaybe an advanced degree. I've had friends in various fields (journalism, marketing) start teaching one course at the university level (UCLA, UW) within 3-4 years of completing their Bachelors. So you getting on part-time, especially at the CC level, shouldn't be a problem.

I always thought of the professor title being associated with phd and anyone who did not have phd was in essence a lecturer. I could be wrong though. I cant think of ever calling anyone without a phd professor but then again I called most of my professors Dr because they had their phd.

Back
Top Bottom