GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

I always thought of the professor title being associated with phd and anyone who did not have phd was in essence a lecturer. I could be wrong though. I cant think of ever calling anyone without a phd professor but then again I called most of my professors Dr because they had their phd.

Naah. There's basically three broad "tracks". Adjunct means you simply teach a class(es); adjunct professor = lecturer = instructor. Tenure-track means you have a PhD and generally engage in research in addition to teaching. Clinical faculty have PhDs but don't generally do research, so they teach, and often engage in administrative roles as well.

Naah. There's basically three broad "tracks". Adjunct means you simply teach a class(es); adjunct professor = lecturer = instructor. Tenure-track means you have a PhD and generally engage in research in addition to teaching. Clinical faculty have PhDs but don't generally do research, so they teach, and often engage in administrative roles as well.

Gotcha. Most phd programs I see put more emphasis on entrance exams and writing examples, do you think teaching part time before hand holds any weight?

Gotcha. Most phd programs I see put more emphasis on entrance exams and writing examples, do you think teaching part time before hand holds any weight?

If you give me your area, I can be more exact (e.g., marketing, finance, engineering, english, whatever). But, yes and no. It depends on the school. So there's basically three classifications of schools: Research 1 (R1), Research 2 (Balanced), and Research 3 (Teaching) schools. Salary also flows in that same direction (at least in business schools). At an R1 school, prior teaching will hold no weight (could be a detriment if they think you have a misunderstanding of what the PhD Process is). Balanced schools probably won't care, but teaching schools will see it as a bonus. It all depends on where you want to end up as well. So if you get your degree at a teaching school, its hiiiighly unlikely that you'll end up at an R1, near impossible. However, if you get a degree from an R1, it doesn't close any doors for you.

If you give me your area, I can be more exact (e.g., marketing, finance, engineering, english, whatever). But, yes and no. It depends on the school. So there's basically three classifications of schools: Research 1 (R1), Research 2 (Balanced), and Research 3 (Teaching) schools. Salary also flows in that same direction (at least in business schools). At an R1 school, prior teaching will hold no weight (could be a detriment if they think you have a misunderstanding of what the PhD Process is). Balanced schools probably won't care, but teaching schools will see it as a bonus. It all depends on where you want to end up as well. So if you get your degree at a teaching school, its hiiiighly unlikely that you'll end up at an R1, near impossible. However, if you get a degree from an R1, it doesn't close any doors for you.

Id be looking at Information systems, so depending on the university that is its own area but some schools pair it with business schools. I want to get my PHD but not until much later down the line.

And yeah I know the game where someone who got a phd at a small state school isnt going to land a teaching gig at MIT.

Can someone who goes to an R2 and does a ton of research finese their way into a top tier university?

Id be looking at Information systems, so depending on the university that is its own area but some schools pair it with business schools. I want to get my PHD but not until much later down the line.

And yeah I know the game where someone who got a phd at a small state school isnt going to land a teaching gig at MIT.

Can someone who goes to an R2 and does a ton of research finese their way into a top tier university?

I mean, anything is possible, but its unlikely. The main reason being that you don't get the same support at an R2 as an R1. For example, I'm at an R1. I have to teach 1 class for 1 semester in the 5 years that I'll be here. I have Friends at R2's that have to teach 1 class EVERY semester. And when you're teaching, research productivity drops by probably 50% due to lesson planning, grading, office hours, etc. So the people who you'll be competing against for R1 jobs won't have the same headwinds you do. Plus, R1's generally get significantly better funding, which allows for better technology, networking opportunities, etc. My friends at R2's/R3's can only attend conferences if they pay out of pocket or are accepted as presenters at the conferences, whereas I have a budget to spend basically on whatever I want, and I've never been denied additional funds for any experiments/data/conferences I've wanted. To end up at an R1, you can generally only publish research in the "best" journals in the field (usually 3-4 per field). If you're at a balanced school, they'll push you to publish in lower tier journals because its easier/quicker, but R1 schools will often not acknowledge those publications, so you're kinda shoe-horned by the tier you're at into staying at that tier or lower.

Can I ask why you aren't thinking about getting a PhD until much later? That was my initial plan in life until I ran into an old professor at a grocery store some years ago. PhDs coming out of the business school are usually making somewhere between $110-175k annually. Plus, most PhD programs are treated as jobs. As such you're a salaried employee, and you don't pay tuition. And if its an IS program based in a B.School, you'll get a decent living stipend depending on the school's classification.

I mean, anything is possible, but its unlikely. The main reason being that you don't get the same support at an R2 as an R1. For example, I'm at an R1. I have to teach 1 class for 1 semester in the 5 years that I'll be here. I have Friends at R2's that have to teach 1 class EVERY semester. And when you're teaching, research productivity drops by probably 50% due to lesson planning, grading, office hours, etc. So the people who you'll be competing against for R1 jobs won't have the same headwinds you do. Plus, R1's generally get significantly better funding, which allows for better technology, networking opportunities, etc. My friends at R2's/R3's can only attend conferences if they pay out of pocket or are accepted as presenters at the conferences, whereas I have a budget to spend basically on whatever I want, and I've never been denied additional funds for any experiments/data/conferences I've wanted. To end up at an R1, you can generally only publish research in the "best" journals in the field (usually 3-4 per field). If you're at a balanced school, they'll push you to publish in lower tier journals because its easier/quicker, but R1 schools will often not acknowledge those publications, so you're kinda shoe-horned by the tier you're at into staying at that tier or lower.

Can I ask why you aren't thinking about getting a PhD until much later? That was my initial plan in life until I ran into an old professor at a grocery store some years ago. PhDs coming out of the business school are usually making somewhere between $110-175k annually. Plus, most PhD programs are treated as jobs. As such you're a salaried employee, and you don't pay tuition. And if its an IS program based in a B.School, you'll get a decent living stipend depending on the school's classification.

Im in Software development so I already make what professors make for the most part or close enough lol.

Also i think once I into senior management or my entreprenuership ventures get to where I want them to be, i think i would be able to make a stronger case to get into a legit phd program compared if i went after i finished my masters.

Now professors at majorr universities like GA tech are making 200k+ in my field but I mean its GA Tech and those cats are some of the best in the industry.

Im in Software development so I already make what professors make for the most part or close enough lol.

Also i think once I into senior management or my entreprenuership ventures get to where I want them to be, i think i would be able to make a stronger case to get into a legit phd program compared if i went after i finished my masters.

Now professors at majorr universities like GA tech are making 200k+ in my field but I mean its GA Tech and those cats are some of the best in the industry.

I feel it. At the high end, you absolutely see profs making 200k+. (The very best are clearing 500k because they could command significantly more in industry). And if you don't have the research background, having proven tech skills will help your application.

One last thought: some (many?) R1's exhibit a bias against people with industry experience. I came in with about 5 years, and was told numerous times (in interviews and once in the program) that there is a stigma with people coming from industry not truly understanding the PhD process and having high turnover, so risk-averse programs generally lean towards the career student types. So you really have ease concerns about that if you're interested in an R1 school. (I got rejected from every school my first time applying, but the second year I applied, and they saw I was committed and had bolstered my CV with some minor research experience).

Bonus: if you, or anybody reading this, is an underrepresented minority and interested in a business PhD, check out www.phdproject.org, which is a really great resource, and helps facilitate the networking process. They also have an annual conference for people INTERESTED in PhDs where they do a thorough explanation of the process and a "career" fair with many of the PhD programs in the country.

What topic? I taught my first semester last Spring. And agreed...twas lit.

This is my fourth semester teaching.

I'm teaching corporate finance

You guys have your phd? When i finish my masters depending on whag moves i make career wise I wanted to teach/lecture part time at a local university or community college.

Just a MS in finance.

But I have experience and colleges really value that.

In class, i talk about actual things instead of relaying it in an academic sense. I normally teaching a bunch of students that are only in there for the credit so they can graduate, but every semester, there are at least four students that come up to me and say "yo, you made finance interesting as ****"

I give WuTang questions for extra credit. :pimp: :pimp:

"What does C.R.E.A.M stand for?"

"How does RZA help his financial clients' portfolios?"

stuff like that

Last edited:
This is my fourth semester teaching.

I'm teaching corporate finance
Just a MS in finance.

But I have experience and colleges really value that.

In class, i talk about actual things instead of relaying it in an academic sense. I normally teaching a bunch of students that are only in there for the credit so they can graduate, but every semester, there are at least four students that come up to me and say "yo, you made finance interesting as ****"

I give WuTang questions for extra credit. :pimp: :pimp:

"What does C.R.E.A.M stand for?"

"How does RZA help his financial clients' portfolios?"

stuff like that

Damn brah wish you were my finance prof when I was in school

Last edited:
anybody studying for or looking into the GMAT? i have a veritas prep account and books that im trying to sell.

is it frowned upon to wear sweatpants/athletic gear to class?

my classes are downtown and at night, so most people showing up are coming from work in business casual attire...

Last edited:

my classes are downtown and at night, so most people showing up are coming from work in business casual attire...

I have about two hours downtime between leaving work and school, so I just come to my class at night in sweatpants and a hoody since I come straight from the gym.

If you've made it this far into schooling, focusing on how you look in class shouldn't be a concern as long as you don't look like you just woke up from a hangover from the previous night :lol: And for those only in school to make connects, you have an entire semester to prove your intelligence anyway so it's not like a fancy gala where you need to look your best at all times.

Last edited:

just bring a gym bag with a change of clothes, Networking is key and you never know who you might run into on a given day. Impressions go a long way in job considerations

For what degree? If its in the business school, definitely don't do it. I have friends in other programs (psych, speech, soc, anthro, etc) that can get away with questionable fashion choices on a daily basis.

For what degree? If its in the business school, definitely don't do it. I have friends in other programs (psych, speech, soc, anthro, etc) that can get away with questionable fashion choices on a daily basis.

Regarding b-school, attire varied class by class and even more so lecture by lecture. When there was a guest speaker, the prof typically wanted the class to dress appropriately. Other than that, people wore whatever...though I didn't see sweats too often haha.

Last edited:
its business-oriented, but not taught out of the B-school (students are mostly IT-professionals)

as much as i have wanted to show up to class in joggers and a t shirt, i havent been brave enough to do it
laugh.gif

just wanted fellow some fellow students' take on the situation...

Last edited:
GRE is dumb easy

i dunno why people get so nervous with standardized testing.

i literally studied for like a week with free online "sample" questions

and got into an education program. (i ended up declining the offer)

i cant remeber my scores but i remember being impressed with myself

just go into the test with the mindset "i already know all this stuff"

and not because you learned it in a class

contrary to what this guy says, don't underestimate the test. it's practically a 4/5 hour test and you have to power through mental fatigue. I doubt he set a high bar for himself and you really just want to take it once. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom