GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

[COLOR=#red]I'm nervous as heck. Tomorrow I have to go up to A&M and get a Professor to accept my thesis proposal and take me on as a Grad student. This has to happen before I'm formally accepted...basically saying that if no Professor takes me on, I will not be starting the program in January. I've been a part of some interesting high profile research projects in the past, and I know what my thesis is going to be...but I'm still a little nervous. A lot is on the line here.[/COLOR]
lol... bruh ... I highly doubt you'll get turned down based on your dedication alone ...

Getting off your butt and going up there is half the battle... and if no one takes you on, tell'em handullz from nt said. They can eat a sack of baby Ds...

Mae... but on the real... you've been on this for awhile... plus experience in your favor, you should be fine. Stick your paper in their hand and say "I'm the one"

lol... bruh ... I highly doubt you'll get turned down based on your dedication alone ...
Getting off your butt and going up there is half the battle... and if no one takes you on, tell'em handullz from nt said. They can eat a sack of baby Ds...
Mae... but on the real... you've been on this for awhile... plus experience in your favor, you should be fine. Stick your paper in their hand and say "I'm the one"

[COLOR=#red]
Hey man, this might be one of the most encouraging things I've personally seen on NT. I appreciate it greatly. You know how it can be, you want to come off as confident, but not so much where it turns them off. I'll keep y'all posted. Good luck to the others in this thread...continued education is a beautiful thing indeed!!!
[/COLOR]

looking to get into a MAcc program. Didn't do accounting undergrad so I'm taking the requirements at the university extension. 

To the ones at a major university ...
How do you feel when you're on campus? I'm 23, but anytime I go feel like grandpa ...
All the young bucks full of energy ...
It may be me, but I feel like I get a few more looks than normalfrom the yambs.
Amiyalone on this one?

Co-sign this.

I'm a similar age as you, but I feel old compared to the freshman, sophs, and even juniors I TA'd. I hear them talking about boozing on a Wednesday night and just think, "Man, I wish I could still do that."

I'm @ a CC and I'm 32 so just imagine how I feel seeing all these kids straight out of high school. My 1st day of class is today as a matter of fact.

Will be at either UT Southwestern in Dallas or Texas Women's University here in Houston next fall. Gradually started to realize that I have more of a passion dealing with the rehabilitation of athletes than I do for plastic surgery. That plus I never had a backup plan if med school fell through. So I have the MCAT coming up, followed by the GRE like 2 months later, and I'll see what happens after that.

Starting year 4 of an MD/PhD combined program. It has been tough, bros. But I've accomplished so much more than I thought I could. Everything is paid for, and I even get a stipend. I haven't had any debt until this point, and am managing to save a good amount of my check each month. Good luck to everyone pursuing graduate degrees. We got this. If any of you are interested or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

:smokin repped. keep grinding homie. MD's and PhD's are hard enough separate.

You know what residency you want to do?

(Radiology in the house)
Info on Rads?

(AMCAS is being processed)

What kind of info you want? You can PM me with specific ?'s

[COLOR=#red]
Hey man, this might be one of the most encouraging things I've personally seen on NT. I appreciate it greatly. You know how it can be, you want to come off as confident, but not so much where it turns them off. I'll keep y'all posted. Good luck to the others in this thread...continued education is a beautiful thing indeed!!!
[/COLOR]

Good luck man. Update us.

I shall contribute:

Start my M.S in Higher Education from CSU Fullertonon the 28th after giving Cal Poly Pomona a shot. Didn't like the program as it wasnt what I wanted and it was mostly online.

I started my assistantship today as a research assistant. I know of some people who quit the program because it wasn't a good fit (one already had a master's) but the program itself is intensive. There are lots of networking opps involved though and I plan on taking advantage of ALL of them lol.

Anyone in Student Affairs or Higher Education, please feel free to PM me. Trying to build my network up anyway possible :pimp:

Will be at either UT Southwestern in Dallas or Texas Women's University here in Houston next fall. Gradually started to realize that I have more of a passion dealing with the rehabilitation of athletes than I do for plastic surgery. That plus I never had a backup plan if med school fell through. So I have the MCAT coming up, followed by the GRE like 2 months later, and I'll see what happens after that.
if you come to the d, you gotta holla at ya famb!

By that time, I'll be about that Dallas life

Good luck man. Update us.

[COLOR=#red]My NT brethren...I'd like to thank you for your support. Things today went beyond what I could imagine for. I was successful in procuring the sponsorship from a faculty member, but the crazy part about is it was the Head of the Department. We talked for 30 minutes and I didn't even ask, he just let me know at the end of our conversation that he was going to sponsor me (so much less pressure than having to ask). He said something on the lines of "there's a lot of fun research ahead for us".

Texas A&M is a Land, Sea, and Space grant institution, which basically means tons of $$$ is thrown their way for research projects which a lot of times go into the discovery of new technologies. I'd be humbled to be a part of that. The Aggie network is tight and they have the 10th largest endowment of all the US universities ($7 Billion). I plan on doing my best and hopefully I can contribute to something worthwhile during my time there.

Again thanks my fellow NT'ers and I wish the best to you all in here pursuing your education. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Side Note: I HIGHLY recommend perfecting the 90 Second Interview. It's kind of like an oxymoron being that it is in-depth, yet succinct at the same time, but it definitely makes you seem both prepared and confident. Then follow up with a academic based resume, and a letter of rec, or a favorable performance review. Even though you have to submit those docs to admissions, bring copies with you so you can put it in to your professors hand.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]My NT brethren...I'd like to thank you for your support. Things today went beyond what I could imagine for. I was successful in procuring the sponsorship from a faculty member, but the crazy part about is it was the Head of the Department. We talked for 30 minutes and I didn't even ask, he just let me know at the end of our conversation that he was going to sponsor me (so much less pressure than having to ask). He said something on the lines of "there's a lot of fun research ahead for us".
Texas A&M is a Land, Sea, and Space grant institution, which basically means tons of $$$ is thrown their way for research projects which a lot of times go into the discovery of new technologies. I'd be humbled to be a part of that. The Aggie network is tight and they have the 10th largest endowment of all the US universities ($7 Billion). I plan on doing my best and hopefully I can contribute to something worthwhile during my time there.
Again thanks my fellow NT'ers and I wish the best to you all in here pursuing your education. Please keep us posted with your progress.
Side Note: I HIGHLY recommend perfecting the 90 Second Interview. It's kind of like an oxymoron being that it is in-depth, yet succinct at the same time, but it definitely makes you seem both prepared and confident. Then follow up with a academic based resume, and a letter of rec, or a favorable performance review. Even though you have to submit those docs to admissions, bring copies with you so you can put it in to your professors hand.[/COLOR]

Congrats to you and best of luck to everyone in here. I keep debating if I want to go back for grad school. I took the GRE almost 2 years ago and the whole time I was taking it :x I didn't study at all for it and since then i let go of the idea of going back to school, unless I can find a program that doesn't require taking the GRE I also don't want to go in a mountain of debt especially if I don't choose something worthwhile to go back to school. for.

I'm starting my first year of medical school at Yale in a few weeks, med school is no joke but it's the only thing I could see myself doing for a career. If anyone has any questions related to med school I'd be happy to help.

Graduate School student checking in. This is my last semester, all I have left is my thesis :frown:......... wish me luck!!

I'm starting my first year of medical school at Yale in a few weeks, med school is no joke but it's the only thing I could see myself doing for a career. If anyone has any questions related to med school I'd be happy to help.

[COLOR=#red]Wow you are doing it really big...from the profession to the school. I wish you greatness in your upcoming career. Good work in school.[/COLOR]

Finally about to finish up my Ph.D in Biology after 3 years :smokin. Turning in my thesis this Friday. Hit me up if you have any questions.

This thread is great. It's refreshing seeing users passionate about their education. We need more goal-oriented people. Those that aren't satisfied with being static but are constantly looking to advance.

Good luck to all of you.

Last year of law school, I can't wait to be out of here!!!

I went to undergrad in CA and now im in AZ for law school. I hate this state, but they gave me a 1/2 scholarship, so I couldn't say no. I just got a post bar/graduate offer to work in Las Vegas :D :smokin . The pay is not that great, but it is great experience that will allow me to go to a big firm in a couple of year or follow my real dream of opening my own small firm.

If anyone has any questions about law school PM me, its not for everyone but if its for you there are great opportunities.

Last edited:
Finally about to finish up my Ph.D in Biology after 3 years :smokin. Turning in my thesis this Friday. Hit me up if you have any questions.

phd in 3 years?!? what? i thought most people these days dont get one until after ~6 years. congrats though :pimp:

i really enjoy research (have been doing it full-time as an RA for the past 4 years), but i feel like without a phd, i can't get very far up the ladder and any ideas i throw out often get looked over. so naturally i looked into phd programs. but after having spoken to several scientists in both academia and the industry, i've now changed my career path towards healthcare.

reason 1 is because you really dont know when you'll earn that phd. i know of several scientists who spent 8 years in school :x it seems a lot depends on your PI sponsor and luck on whether your experiments work or not. i'd rather have a set curriculum and be done with school in 4 years as with most health schools.

reason 2, if i were to jump into academia, chances are that i will be alotting a good chunk of time writing grants and stressing over funding. no thanks.

reason 3, if i were to jump into the industry in a small biotech, resources are always limited. the small biotech you're employed by might not be able to afford potentially important experiment/equipment. limiting science due to budget sounds awful.

reason 4, if i were to jump into the industry in a large biotech, resources are abundant, but pink slips can be handed out in the snap of a (exectuive's) finger and without warning. this seems to happen every day.

reason 5, if i were to jump into the health profession, i can set up my own shop and run the damn thang like a real bawse.

thoughts are welcome from all!

Woah Med school at Yale. Congrats that is a huge accomplishment! I hope you got some scholarships to help pay for school.

I like how everyone here is all about helping others about info on school. That's what it's all about. I'm in a bit of a pickle right now but hopefully I can finish my undergrad in the next 2-3 years.

Graduated this past year with a MS in Psychology with an emphasis in Applied Behavioral Analysis. It's a small sector of psychology that is growing in notoriety.

Take my Behavior Analysts Board Certification (BCBA) in 3 weeks which will solidify me in the field.

I'm just at the point where I'm almost done but can't start applying to a school district (which is where I want to work) until I pass this board exam. This test stands in the way of me having financial stability and finally providing for my family. I'm going to destroy this test.

Best of luck NT we got this.

I'm in a different boat than a lot of you guys. I just graduated with a Bachelors in Art (aka you don't get a "real" job with this :lol:) and have been considering getting an Master of Fine Arts in the near future. Reason I want one is for the connections afforded through the faculty and, with the right school, a bigger boost in credibility. Also, with an MFA, I could hold a professorship at a university so I could earn a relatively steady pay while maintaining my separate studio practice. The problem with an MFA is... the best schools happen to also be the most expensive. I'd be paying similar amounts of dollars compared to students going in for MBA or MS with a future career that payed a tiny fraction that those degrees would net :lol:. I would only go if I got into my dream schools (Yale, UCLA, RISD, SAIC) and if, hopefully, I could get some kind of scholarship. I was able to graduate undergrad without any debt and I'd like to keep it that way.
Before I graduated, I was able to talk to the president of a pretty prestigious arts organization in New York. I told him of my plans to pursue an MBA and he told me to try making it professionally first. What's the point of being an educator with no experience in the real world? That's why I picked up my life in California and am now living in New York City trying to grind it out. Make it or not, I needed to see what it was like.
I guess for those that might be interested in getting an MBA... my advice would be, keep working on your portfolio even after you graduate from undergrad. Show that you have maintained a studio practice outside of the student realm. Try to get more shows and exhibit your work. Don't just show your work anywhere. If you can, hold out and try to get your work to the point where your work is somewhere you want it to be. Don't be the guy with the paintings in the coffee shop. Build connections with other artists and, if you can, gallery and museum people. Only go for grad school if you really, really want it. It's not a game and debt is no joke.

Have you thought about Europe? Application isn't easy, but for example the Royal Acadamy is free of charge for those who get accepted, although this part isn't too easy. And I think it's great you're working, although my personal opinion is that learning to paint and draw is about 10 % of the process the rest is left up to the mind. That's why I think it's crucial to learn and read as much as possible, oh and travel.

I also have thought of this direction, but truth be told, I started industrial design, because it's an art related field, but it just wasn't motivating and my wierd nature is, that I can create a lot more, when I learn other stuff. I.E. I was actually capable of painting more pieces of work, while studying philosophy full time, then when I had a full semester to paint....craziness...

That's why I've applied to a business program this year and we'll see where I end up....

I've posted this question in the other college thread, but replies would be great!

I'm about to start school and major in economics. I'm ok with studying, thus I've thought of applying to more intense courses, there's a whole school plan, which is more intense then the regular schedule. Alongside this I've also got a job, which can be handled part time, but the two may be unsustainable parallel to each other.

What do you guys think is better on a resume?

Having work experience (a lot of it), plus a few internships and making a little money while in school or participating in advanced economics classes?

^^^^

In a nutshell...

Nobody cares about tour advanced economics classes, famb...

They want to see experience.

To those in school or finished...

Was it easier to land a position while you were IN grad school?

Or you had to wait till you were finished?

Back
Top Bottom