Groupon is a DISASTER... Vol. Pump and Dump in effect... are we in another tech-bubble?

Assuming you even got in right as it started trading at $35 and got out at the perfect time as the stock reached its high of $35.99, you would have had to invest a little over $7000 to make $200. Knowing how unlikely it is for someone to do that (not to mention the stock price surely didn't move from $35 to $35.99 in 30 minutes), it's much more likely you would have had to invest closer to $28000 or more to make just $200 in a 30 minute period (generously assuming a $0.25 increase in price).

I would like to know what "slave +%$ job" you work if making just $200 on what would have most likely had to be a $28000+ investment is "easy money." (Keep in mind that's a rate of return of less than one percent.) Sign me up for that job.

tl;dr:
Originally Posted by HankMoody

Ducktales.

Originally Posted by tmay407

Assuming you even got in right as it started trading at $35 and got out at the perfect time as the stock reached its high of $35.99, you would have had to invest a little over $7000 to make $200. Knowing how unlikely it is for someone to do that (not to mention the stock price surely didn't move from $35 to $35.99 in 30 minutes), it's much more likely you would have had to invest closer to $28000 or more to make just $200 in a 30 minute period (generously assuming a $0.25 increase in price).

I would like to know what "slave +%$ job" you work if making just $200 on what would have most likely had to be a $28000+ investment is "easy money." (Keep in mind that's a rate of return of less than one percent.) Sign me up for that job.

tl;dr:

Ducktales.
*Gucci voice* well damn! *Gucci voice*

eek.gif
I'm more surprised nobody knew about the Google offer...what were you guys paying attention to those days?

Best Groupons to date (well, only ones I bought): Gap ($25 groupon worth $50) and EBAY ($15 groupon worth $30)

Most of the local Groupon deals have been 50/50. I've read 2 businesses already that have closed because of them
30t6p3b.gif
(guy put all the eggs in one basket)

tl;dr:

Ducktales.

These people are basically just gambling here and really have no idea what they are doing.

I'll admitt, you gotta start somewhere though.

tl;dr:

Ducktales.
Wow dude you fail so hard, have you heard of margin[table][tr][td][/td][td]11/18/2010[/td][td]GM[/td][td]BOUGHT 400 SHARES OF GM AT $35.0099[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]11/18/2010[/td][td]GM[/td][td]SOLD 400 SHARES OF GM AT $35.62[/td][/tr][/table]

Trust me just because you have no money to trade that doesn't mean nobody else has money 

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

tl;dr:

Ducktales.
Wow dude you fail so hard, have you heard of margin[table][tr][td][/td][td]11/18/2010[/td][td]GM[/td][td]BOUGHT 400 SHARES OF GM AT $35.0099[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]11/18/2010[/td][td]GM[/td][td]SOLD 400 SHARES OF GM AT $35.62[/td][/tr][/table]

Trust me just because you have no money to trade that doesn't mean nobody else has money 

Now the truth is coming out. At first you made it seem like you bought into the IPO and now your telling us you bought on margin. You will have people jumping into the market like its easy money. Side note fam 200 (don't forget taxes and cost of trading) is nothing to brag about.

It seems like the best route for most people in this thread to take is buy a IPO EFT and call it a day.

Wow dude you fail so hard, have you heard of margin[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]11/18/2010[/td][td]GM[/td][td]BOUGHT 400 SHARES OF GM AT $35.0099[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]11/18/2010[/td][td]GM[/td][td]SOLD 400 SHARES OF GM AT $35.62[/td][/tr][/table]

Well then on that, I congratulate you.

And yes, I've heard of buying on margin. I majored in Finance. A lot of brokerages typically won't allow buying stocks on margin during IPOs because of the volatility of prices. There's typically a period of about a month or so after an IPO before brokerages allow buying that stock on margin. So please excuse my skepticism.

If you don't mind me asking, who do you trade with?

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Cant Break The Unbreakable

Being first is so overrated now.  In a lot of cases who does it best > first.  Or who has more resources or user base > first

I had to quote this... This is the argument I make with people saying apple steals from android.

well said.
yet android controls da lion's share of da smartphone market....
laugh.gif

Scottrade disallows it for like the first two hours, I did get into the groupon ipo I bought it at 10:45 and 12 sec but when I sold and bought back at like 1230 I was able to use margin

Originally Posted by ninjahood

I had to quote this... This is the argument I make with people saying apple steals from android.

well said.
laugh.gif

Before this turns into a smartphone battle...I dont care about what your argument states...because it doesn't matter.
I saw this quote about Apple and it basically expresses how I feel about comparisons to Android.

Its like saying a Nissan is better than a BMW. Its just not true. But obviously there are more Nissans on the market. 

Design philosophy isn’t a very easy thing. Most people seem to be of the opinion that pure features are ‘function’. I disagree — accessible features are actual features, all others are only used by people who really need to use them because otherwise they won’t be bothered to learn them. This is why for many people Macs and iOS devices are actually more feature rich than ‘open platforms’ like Windows, Linux or Android where you can ‘customise’ the OS on a more direct level: They get easy access to features and are not afraid of ‘messing up their system’ (this is true for iOS especially).

I was not implying that Apple is making the big money ‘with’ software, but because of it. The hardware is actually more concerned with getting out of your way. As Dieter Rams said in his brilliant interview for ‘Objectified’: Good design is as little design as possible. This is how Apple operates — their hardware tries to get out of your way, so does their operating system, what you’re left with is using your computer the way it’s supposed to be used: as a tool to accomplish what you need to do, or want to do.

Many people claim that they’re not interested in looks, only in performance — I can’t say I believe it, but I respect it. What I think is the main thing to consider with Apple’s products and prices is that they have managed to get back to the simplest form of capitalism: They ask for as much money as their customers are willing to pay for their products. People who think Apple users are stupid or ‘brainwashed’ just don’t want to believe that the user experience justifies the investment for them. For many people I know, including myself, it does.

^^^^^ wow, the hate is strong with you

What hate? You came in here acting like you made big moves, when in fact you didn't simple at that. I called you out and you got mad. I congratulate you on pulling a risky move and having that risky move pay off for you.

Buying on margin is dumb for such a little return.
Boosting as if you bought into an IPO when in fact you bought on the secondary market is dumb.
The real winners are the people who sold you Groupon not you, those are the people who made 30 to 40 percent return.

Just don't lead these people astray.

Damn didn't know the IPO was Friday. I think I'm gonna short it so let me know when the time is right guys lol. *srs*

Last time I looked into Scottrade (I think it was in the middle of 2010), they didn't consider securities to be marginable for the first day of trading.

why do u guys assume i made a killing or something i only made like 200 dollars the point was that  relative to my slave %$% job it took no effort, i learned about it that day and it was only like 20 min worth of work

I clearly said right here that i didnt make a killing. It was you guys that assumed that. Also i know i didnt make big money but relative to my job and the amount of due diligence ive done for other trades it was a pretty quick buck, now tell me what you called me out on 

well said.
laugh.gif

Before this turns into a smartphone battle...I dont care about what your argument states...because it doesn't matter.
I saw this quote about Apple and it basically expresses how I feel about comparisons to Android.

Its like saying a Nissan is better than a BMW. Its just not true. But obviously there are more Nissans on the market. 

Design philosophy isn’t a very easy thing. Most people seem to be of the opinion that pure features are ‘function’. I disagree — accessible features are actual features, all others are only used by people who really need to use them because otherwise they won’t be bothered to learn them. This is why for many people Macs and iOS devices are actually more feature rich than ‘open platforms’ like Windows, Linux or Android where you can ‘customise’ the OS on a more direct level: They get easy access to features and are not afraid of ‘messing up their system’ (this is true for iOS especially).

I was not implying that Apple is making the big money ‘with’ software, but because of it. The hardware is actually more concerned with getting out of your way. As Dieter Rams said in his brilliant interview for ‘Objectified’: Good design is as little design as possible. This is how Apple operates — their hardware tries to get out of your way, so does their operating system, what you’re left with is using your computer the way it’s supposed to be used: as a tool to accomplish what you need to do, or want to do.

Many people claim that they’re not interested in looks, only in performance I can’t say I believe it, but I respect it. What I think is the main thing to consider with Apple’s products and prices is that they have managed to get back to the simplest form of capitalism: They ask for as much money as their customers are willing to pay for their products. People who think Apple users are stupid or ‘brainwashed’ just don’t want to believe that the user experience justifies the investment for them. For many people I know, including myself, it does.
2 points.

-i dont anyone would be stupid enuff to buy a used out of warranty BMW VS a nissan..hence why u still got old as dirt sentras on da road, and meanwhile you'd

be hard pressed to find a 90's BMW anything because people dont buy those cars for anything other then "stunting"...and frankly, who's gonna try to stunt in a old luxury car

with parts that cost up da wazzoo.

-at one point bape air force I's were worth 2x as much as nike air-force I's, charging more for branding instead of actual performance..we all see what happened there.

performance beats looks any and everytime.

well said.
laugh.gif
I don't wanna turn this into a Apple vs Google thread but Ima just say this

Smartphones yea (for now) but look at the bigger picture.  Let's compare ALL iOS Devices and ALL Android Devices
iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads VS Android Phones, Android Tablets, hell I'll even throw in Chrome OS Netbooks 
laugh.gif

Google doesn't even have a competitor to the iPod Touches

iPads vs Android Tablets and Chrome OS Netbooks  isn't even close, iPads are killing the tablet market

At the end of the day, not counting devices sold/marketshare it's all about how much money is made. Google doesn't make nearly as much money from Android does as Apple makes for iOS devices

Google makes no money from the hardware, makes no money from the Android software because they license it FREE to manufacturers, and because of patent disputes Microsoft even gets paid like $5 for each HTC Android phone sold and about 50% of Android devices sold revenue goes to Microsoft.  Google actually loses money from Android.

Only way Google really makes money from Android is 30% off the top on apps in the marketplace (same as Apple in the App store) and the mobile advertising but they probably make more money from Apple devices than their own lol 

laugh.gif

Many people claim that they’re not interested in looks, only in performance I can’t say I believe it, but I respect it. What I think is the main thing to consider with Apple’s products and prices is that they have managed to get back to the simplest form of capitalism: They ask for as much money as their customers are willing to pay for their products. People who think Apple users are stupid or ‘brainwashed’ just don’t want to believe that the user experience justifies the investment for them. For many people I know, including myself, it does.
2 points.

-i dont anyone would be stupid enuff to buy a used out of warranty BMW VS a nissan..hence why u still got old as dirt sentras on da road, and meanwhile you'd

be hard pressed to find a 90's BMW anything because people dont buy those cars for anything other then "stunting"...and frankly, who's gonna try to stunt in a old luxury car

with parts that cost up da wazzoo.

-at one point bape air force I's were worth 2x as much as nike air-force I's, charging more for branding instead of actual performance..we all see what happened there.

performance beats looks any and everytime.

pcm-header-logo.gif

[table][tr][td]
[h1]Apple, With 4 Percent of Handset Market, Captures 52 Percent of Profits[/h1]
ARTICLE DATE : November 5, 2011

By Damon Poeter

Apple may have lost its crown as the top shipper of smartphones this past quarter, but the iPhone maker hauled in more than half of the mobile industry's operating profits during that period, according to a new research note from Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley.

That despite having just 4.2 percent of the global handset market.

"With Nokia in the midst of a challenging smartphone strategy transition and our checks indicating RIM and Motorola Mobility continue to struggle in North America given the increasingly competitive Android smartphone market, we believe Apple will gain further value share in the December quarter and could capture over 60 percent of industry profits," Walkley wrote in his note,according to All Things D.

Samsung shipped the most smartphones in the third quarter, according to separate reports from IDC and Strategy Analytics last week. But Samsung's margins of 17 percent on its handsets were dwarfed by Apple's 35 percent margins for the quarter. So while Samsung did capture a healthy 29 percent of operating profits in the third quarter, Apple was king with 52 percent of the profits available to handset makers from July to September (full chart below).

Apple only makes high-margin smartphones, so while it did own about a 15 percent percent share of that market in the third quarter, according to industry research, its share of the overall handset market came in at below 5 percent. Samsung accounted for nearly 24 percent of smartphone shipments in the quarter and had about 22 percent of the overall mobile phone market in the three-month period.

While Samsung was overshadowed by Apple in terms of operating profit in the quarter, other handset makers were absolutely obliterated. Nokia shipped far and away the most units in the third quarter.6 million, according to IDC—but captured just 4 percent of the operating profits during the period.

HTC and Research in Motion each had less than 10 percent of the profits reported by handset makers for the quarter, while Sony Ericsson struggled to scratch out 1 percent. LG Electronics and Motorola Mobility reported losses in the third quarter.
[/td][/tr][/table]Copyright (c) 2011 Ziff Davis Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Bruh i don't even CARE about profits... I'm not invested in these companies...i'm just a consumer in search of the best experience...but you're a damn liar to say android has better performing devices over iOS...like come on son... 
roll.gif

IPO's are not marginable for until 30 days later, just passed my Series 7, that was one of the questions.

That's totally wrong^^^^ scottrade doesn't allow it for the first 2hrs I believe. But I have been able to buy shares worth about 50% more than what's in my account so how do you explain that

Back
Top Bottom