H.E.M (ankle sprain rehab help)

rash

Banned
Just sprained my ankle at a soccer tournament yesterday. It has been the 7th time in a year now, but the first time to my left ankle. Just went to the ER foran x ray and its a second degree ankle sprain, but still very painful.
For the past year, I've been using RICE to rehab my ankle sprains but it seems as though my ankle has gotten weaker.
Today I came across this website that talks about the HEM method and how your ankle should heal within a week and in no more than 2 1/2 weeks. The problem isit just talks about how you benefit from it and not really what you have to do.

If anybody has ever purchased the HEM method ebook, can you please explain to me how I can try it out and how it actually works?

What are some tips you guys have for me in order to prevent any more ankle sprains. After about the 4th sprain, I began taping my right ankle in order toprevent injuries. It just so happened that I sprained my left ankle (the one that I have never sprained before and the one I never brace up).

Anyways, I would really appreciate if yall help me out with this HEM method because obviously the RICE method hasn't been helping me heal fast.
The HEM method is said to increase the range of motion and stability/strength of the ligaments in your ankle (something that RICE doesn't do)

help is MUCH appreciated

When it heals, make sure you do a lot of stretching and do proprioception to strengthen it.

yeah i know that; but what about the HEM method?

Thats what I wanna know about

Wear ankle braces. Not to sound obvious but I used to constantly sprain my ankles playing basketball. I've been wearing braces every time I ball for about2 years. Some days I forget them but I've twisted my ankles walking in normal day activities more times than I have when I was playing basketball with thebraces (can't recall doing it once actually). And I'm talking cheap 10 dollar type bases I got at CVS. There are some stretchy type braces that can gounder socks that will be good for you in soccer rather than wearing a larger brace.

I don't know the HEM method, but I will be obvious again and just suggest Rest and Ice. I doubt there's much to the HEM method. If it's so good youshould be able to find it somewhere online.

I sprained mine severely for the first time yesterday. I'm always a play through and walk it off type guy and yesterday was no different and while therewas some pain, I felt fine. Then I woke up today, and can barely walk, much less run. I still tried to go to the gym and hoop, but just shooting around whilewaiting the pain was too much.

I tried submerging it in ice water in a bucket, but i can never last more than a few seconds.

It was one of those turns where it turns right to left AND front to back and the injury goes down the foot, I forgot the exact word for it but I know it'sthe worst kind.

I don't know about the HEM method but what worked for me when I severly sprained mine was strength training on a trampoline or your bed. But wait til thepain subsides cause it's gon hurt. Trainer in HS had me do that after I soaked my ankle in a whirl pool for 25mins. Ankle was strong as !@!! in a week.
eek.gif
But yea, ankle braces are ur friend

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I sprained mine severely for the first time yesterday. I'm always a play through and walk it off type guy and yesterday was no different and while there was some pain, I felt fine. Then I woke up today, and can barely walk, much less run. I still tried to go to the gym and hoop, but just shooting around while waiting the pain was too much.

I tried submerging it in ice water in a bucket, but i can never last more than a few seconds.

It was one of those turns where it turns right to left AND front to back and the injury goes down the foot, I forgot the exact word for it but I know it's the worst kind.
That's the worst. Being able to play through the pain for a bit and then getting home and it progressively getting from pain, to limping tohopping to needing crutches or outside support to be able to move.

I feel A LOT better though after icing it though. I think my @*+%@%+ is going to try to go back to the gym tomorrow.

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

just lay low for a while....

anyone wanna help my dude out with that HEM method??

does anybody know whats up with this method or not?

my ankle is still killin me

try jumping in a pool. or put ankle weight in front of you're foot and rotate it clockwise and counterclockwise, and up and down. or do this without theankle weight. doing these exercises will strengthen you're ankle.

I sprained my ankles so many times playing soccer. What kept my ankles strong was going to a physiotheripist that did everything hands on, he was subside theswelling by massaging my ankles and then he would realign my ligaments on where they were supposed to be. I've been to other physiotherapist and all theywould do is put that stupid machine on my ankle and give me a list of exercises to do. If you can find a guy that can do everything hands on, its money. Otherthan that I just did a lot of resistance training by swimming and taping my ankles for every game and practice. Ankle braces suck when playing soccer, its justnot the same.

^true that ankle braces aren't the same as taping

but taping is so effin hard to do by yourself. Plus if you tape it wrong then you have a greater chance of spraining it.
And it doesn't help to have hairy legs cause then you gotta use that pre wrap which gets a bit annoying.

Its almost day 3 and my ankle hasn't shown too much signs of a quick recovery. And I got regionals real soon...

Originally Posted by besthandsInDM

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I think my @*+%@%+ is going to try to go back to the gym tomorrow.
Look at your Av to decide if you should do this.
What's Av? I ended up not going just because I ate some fried chicken, but I would have. It hurts and is less than 100%, but it feels goodenough. I googled the HEM, looks good, but I need it free

Originally Posted by Rash

but taping is so effin hard to do by yourself. Plus if you tape it wrong then you have a greater chance of spraining it.
And it doesn't help to have hairy legs cause then you gotta use that pre wrap which gets a bit annoying.

Its almost day 3 and my ankle hasn't shown too much signs of a quick recovery. And I got regionals real soon...
get a friend to pre wrap for you, or tape for you. i am sure someone will go to all of your games to make sure you play at your full potential andstay safe.....

i know i would.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

Originally Posted by Rash

get a friend to pre wrap for you, or tape for you. i am sure someone will go to all of your games to make sure you play at your full potential and stay safe.....

i know i would.
laugh.gif

thanks reeves. some people are more than just NT buddies...

you're not gonna prevent ankle sprains, ever. it just happens. the only thing you can do is, improve your stability. make sure your ankle is strong enough,have good conditioning, because if you're tired your body reacts slower than what your brain wants you to do. plyometrics is good to make your anklesstronger, balance board.

ankle braces are a bad idea, and taping is too, because that means you have to keep wearing or taping your ankles. your ankles get used to it. but if you haveto wear a brace, go with a neoprene brace, it gives stability, flexibilty and keeps your ankle warm, means that blood flow will increase.

u should elevate ur ankle and ice it. after u sprain an ankle.the few next days, it will determine how bad it is and how much u care about healing it. u alwaysneed to wear a ankle brace. u can sprain it even if ur not running. When i sprain my ankles, which is often. I just go home and elevate it, ice it for 15 minson and off. even eelevate it when ur sleeping. then just slip on the brace right when u wake up and if the brace doenst work in games. then u ahve no otherchoice but to tape it. i taped it during some of my highschool season. its uncomfortable, but u just have to fight through the pain. when u play thrrough pain,i think ur ankle gets much stronger. thats my opinion

Ankle braces don't solve the problem.

When I get patients with ankle problems it is usually due to weak muscles supporting the ankle. 7 times in one year is alot, I suggest you start doingstrengthening to gain more stability.

Here are a few exercises I'll give to a patient with you problem...

Inversion exercises

0199210896.inversion-of-foot.1.jpg

Eversion

0199210896.eversion.1.jpg

Dorsiflexion

dorsiflexion.jpg

You can do these with a moderate resistance theraband and work your way to a heavy resistance theraband. I got to be honest, I'm not too familiar with HEMmethod, I'm gonna have to read up on it.

Also, what you can do is Toe Raises with the toes pointing forward, pointing out, and point in.

Back
Top Bottom