::HAPPY FILIPINO AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH!::

It's the first of Oktober, the beginning of Filipino American Heritage Month.
If you haven't heard of it before, please take some time to educate yourself about it.
I'll post an email I received a couple days ago:

FANHS Advisory: 2nd Cut

2009 Filipino American History Month

Trustees, Trustee Emeriti / Chapter Presidents, Administrators / FANHS VIPs

and Friends of FANHS

Blogoong of the National Pinoy Archives

The 2009 observance of Filipino American History Month commemorates the first Filipino Presence in the Continental U.S. when on October 18, 1587, 422 yearsago, Filipinos, then called Indios from a Spanish galleon, touched shore at Morro Bay, now in San Luis Obispo County in California.

Much history - rich, enlightening, inspirational and at times sad - in four centuries in America has made the Filipino American experience to be a unique andinstinctive odyssey deserving to be shared with all Americans and others of goodwill.

Certainly much research has yet to be done in many parts of the nation and particularly in newer communities being established especially by the U.S. arrivalof Filipinos from the Philippines after the enactmemt of the Immigration Act of 1965.

And so, it is not on all Americans, generally, that Filipino American History must be focused but, particularly, on new immigrants from the Philipppines whobecome Filipino Americans by their solid presence in families, the workplace, churches and respective Filipino American communities. Although their Philippinespirit remains, their Filipino American soul-searching must be fortified by the historical Pinoyness that has helped to give them equality in America, neverbefore attained by all Pinoys of the last century but through my parents' generation which struggled to achieve opportunities for their American-bornchildren and for new immigrants to come.

The Filipino American National Historical Society [FANHS] invites all leaders of our Filipino American communities throughout the United States to join incelebrating Filipino American History Month. The FANHS Family of 27 trustees and 28 chapters throughout the nation, along with friends and supporters, iscommitted "to promote understanding, education, enlightenment, appreciation and enrichment through the identification, gathering, preservation anddissemination of the history and culture of Filipino Americans in the United States."

---------
This was sent out by the FANHS on behalf of Fred Cordova, the founder of the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS), which is responsible fordeclaring the month of Oktober Filipino American Heritage/History Month.

If you are near any city's/universities/groups that are celebrating this month, please take some time and celebrate by joining in, or even by spreadingword about this month. I'm not sure how many Filipino Americans, let alone people, know about this month. Maybe this will be a catalyst for those who havealways wanted to learn about the history of the Filipino people.

Here's a LINK to a Wiki article.

I know some folks on NT have a hard time reading long blocks of text (im guilty as well) but I figure a couple of you guys will end up reading it, so itwon't hurt to put it out there.

Seattle folks, once I receive a calendar of events, I'll post it up in the PNW section (maybe even here)

Back at my old high school, it seemed like this was every month.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom