Harry Belafonte was Right about Jay-Z vol. Good Read

I really couldnt tell you, I'm not sure. Ive shopped there before and felt ok. My SA for shoes over there is dark skinned himself(cool guy, got to buy a pair at some point but they are so damn expensive
frown.gif
laugh.gif
)

With that said I can't ignore the fact that I'm white and all the news regarding racial profiling. It happened far too often to merely be a coincidence. Someone must be telling those employees something and someone must also be contacting the cops and it damn sure aint no customer. I've never heard of something like that happening at Saks or any other shop
Okay, thank you for your reply.  I asked because just like you illustrated there are dark skinned or black people that actually work at Barney's so unless those employees have come out and stated that Barney's has a standard practice or instructions to racial profile certain customers I think it's kinda hard to say as a company that they racially profile customers.  Personally I think this is more so a case of an overzealous employee using his or her "power" in the wrong manner.  Meaning I think the employee or employees in question racial profiled the customers but not necessarily with the backing of the company policy. 

I think sometimes we as individuals have to look at things from a broader standpoint and not just label an entire group or an entire institution as being one way.  Meaning for example, if I or you have a bad situation with police officer, try not to think that all cops are bad or that an entire police department is corrupt, or if you have a situation with a person of a certain ethnicity that doesn't go well try not to cast aspersions against that entire ethnicity in the future.  I know it may be easier said than done, but I think this will be helpful in just looking at certain situations just as they are. 
What we do know is that Barneys policies and or procedures led to the racial profiling and harrassment of Black customers.
Have you seen or heard an actual employee say that there were taught by the heads of the company to racial profile black customers or seen a company letter or training manual that states so??

Jay-Z this, Jay-Z that (Jay-Z won't hold my hand no more)

Jay-Z this, Jay-Z that

Jay-Z that, Jay-Z this (Jay-Z won't give me no money)
Get off Jay-Z d@$k

What y'all ns get front page articles, y'all mention Jay-Z name

yall crabs in a bucket.

" _____ compare me to Biggie and Pac already. Like I'm gone already.
And I am ____, I'm already home already. If ya'll can't already see,
I ain't worried about ya'll cause I'm already me."

"Don't they know that they boring, don't they know that I yawn,
Only time they exciting is when they mentioning Shawn "

For me the bottom line is this: could Hov do more for the people? Yes. MUST he do more for the people? No.

For me the bottom line is this: could Hov do more for the people? Yes. MUST he do more for the people? No.
Exactly, it's his money; can't be mad if he chooses not to give back. Don't patronize him if you don't like him for whatever reason.

it's more like racial profiling. If a black or any dark skinned person walked through the door in a nice suit and spoke eloquently with proper mannerisms they would be less inclined to feel that something is wrong. Now if said black person was rocking beats listening to music at top volume and had his pants sagging to his knees and used the n word in every sentence then the barneys workers started their ****. It is definitely not right and should be changed.
Lets be honest. I've worked in retail and those dudes are some of the worst kind of customer/people. Loud and cause nothing but trouble 90% of the time. The black guy in the suit who talks like a person is always welcome vs the man trying to dress for some Little John Music video

Lets be honest. I've worked in retail and those dudes are some of the worst kind of customer/people. Loud and cause nothing but trouble 90% of the time. The black guy in the suit who talks like a person is always welcome vs the man trying to dress for some Little John Music video

I've worked in retail as well for 3 years and imma say no...
I still wouldn't get the cops to arrest em just cuz theyre dressed and act the way that they do.

One things for sure jay z aint no tupac. The wrong rappers died
I don't know about the wrong rapper being died because when it's your time to go it's your time.But for sure Jay-z isn't 2pac,2pac is rare individual who was raised by a black woman who empowered herself and ran with a group of people who wouldn't take any mess from the establishment or even passiveness from their own at one point in time.So he learned early on that your voice and the things you say today will have some sorta of relevance tomorrow,even if it's self destructive(hitler).

I respect all opinions and actions to a certain degree and I won't ever knock jay-z for what he chooses to do because I understand that when the iron is hot you strike it and you continually do it to get the results you desire because in todays world where everythings online and any and every can be accessed in a matter of seconds no matter if right or wrong,good or bad and most will form their personal opinions off of just that,I personally wouldn't say much either not until I have reached my earning peak and nothing I say or do will affect that.
Sorta like what Bill Cosby is doing now flying around the country having these open discussions with Americans about what is wrong and especially when when it comes to what is wrong with the black community.People hold their breath,white folks secretly agree while turning pink and some are just down right upset because they feel like who is he to judge anyone especially us when he doesn't want be associate with us unless it's mocking us in a cartoon(fat albert).Bill doesn't give a damn,why cause they can't **** with his money nor his family's future money,their set, so if another white(that's majority of his audience) doesn't show up to see him,HE DOESN'T GIVE A RATS ***.

Ali is the opposite of Bill,he did it early on and guess what?Ali is still Ali,he didn't have to change or take back a thing he said about white people and their his biggest supporter now,they love him so much they give him a torch*shaking and all* to light up at the Olypics and whose to say he's not still calling white people the devil in his mind?no one and it's still all good.

I like to pick and choose my battles and this one is a waste of time.Besides did some of you even check out the items Jay-z has at Barney's?over priced to the max and if he does sell anything he could feed half of Brooklyn free snow cones for a year for free and make a profit.....I aint supporting,I can't afford it.

I really couldnt tell you, I'm not sure. Ive shopped there before and felt ok. My SA for shoes over there is dark skinned himself(cool guy, got to buy a pair at some point but they are so damn expensive :frown: :lol: )

With that said I can't ignore the fact that I'm white and all the news regarding racial profiling. It happened far too often to merely be a coincidence. Someone must be telling those employees something and someone must also be contacting the cops and it damn sure aint no customer. I've never heard of something like that happening at Saks or any other shop

Okay, thank you for your reply.  I asked because just like you illustrated there are dark skinned or black people that actually work at Barney's so unless those employees have come out and stated that Barney's has a standard practice or instructions to racial profile certain customers I think it's kinda hard to say as a company that they racially profile customers.  Personally I think this is more so a case of an overzealous employee using his or her "power" in the wrong manner.  Meaning I think the employee or employees in question racial profiled the customers but not necessarily with the backing of the company policy. 

I think sometimes we as individuals have to look at things from a broader standpoint and not just label an entire group or an entire institution as being one way.  Meaning for example, if I or you have a bad situation with police officer, try not to think that all cops are bad or that an entire police department is corrupt, or if you have a situation with a person of a certain ethnicity that doesn't go well try not to cast aspersions against that entire ethnicity in the future.  I know it may be easier said than done, but I think this will be helpful in just looking at certain situations just as they are. 

What we do know is that Barneys policies and or procedures led to the racial profiling and harrassment of Black customers.

Have you seen or heard an actual employee say that there were taught by the heads of the company to racial profile black customers or seen a company letter or training manual that states so??

Barneys just came out with new security procedures. So like I said, their policies and procedures led to racial profiling.

Barneys just came out with new security procedures. So like I said, their policies and procedures led to racial profiling.
You didn't answer my direction question to you, so I'll take that as a "no" on your end.  By the way, the new security policies that are being implemented by Barney's are more so for the cops as per the new security procedure cops are now only allowed in the store's control room, which is where employees watch and monitor the store. 

You didn't answer my direction question to you, so I'll take that as a "no" on your end.  By the way, the new security policies that are being implemented by Barney's are more so for the cops as per the new security procedure cops are now only allowed in the store's control room, which is where employees watch and monitor the store. 

Only a Barneys employee would be able to answer your question about all of their policies and procedures.

That policy is Barneys policy, Barneys. Not the police dept, Barneys.

Only a Barneys employee would be able to answer your question about all of their policies and procedures.

What I'm getting at is this, there are a number of black people employed by Barney's.  If racial profiling was really apart or instructed as company procedure don't you think a current employee or a former employee would have released that information to a news outlet, especially with these most recent two events happening?? 

When you and others say "racial profiling by Barney's" I hope you all realize that you are essentially saying that racial profiling is encouraged as a point of procedure by Barney's as a company.  To me these most recent events are about an employee or several employees that obviously crossed that line and allowed their own stereotypes or racial viewpoints to interfere with how they conducted themselves at work.  Let's not forget, even Oprah experienced racial profiling at a boutique in August of this year in Switzerland, yes billionaire Oprah Winfrey.  

Also, as far as the change in Barney's security procedure goes it was implemented to apply to "COPS" as they are now only allowed in the store's control room.  Did you read or get a copy of the new security procedures?

im with belafonte at least on a critical level. hov ain't obligated to do a damn thing to help people. that goes for anyone honestly, even those with money. but at the very least if you claim to help, do with pure and transparent intentions. don't be someone who says one thing but doesn't really follow thru simply because your wallet ain't gonna like it. either be about it or don't. no in between. frontin is just as bad as nothing at all imo..

What I'm getting at is this, there are a number of black people employed by Barney's.  If racial profiling was really apart or instructed as company procedure don't you think a current employee or a former employee would have released that information to a news outlet, especially with these most recent two events happening?? 

When you and others say "racial profiling by Barney's" I hope you all realize that you are essentially saying that racial profiling is encouraged as a point of procedure by Barney's as a company.  To me these most recent events are about an employee or several employees that obviously crossed that line and allowed their own stereotypes or racial viewpoints to interfere with how they conducted themselves at work.  Let's not forget, even Oprah experienced racial profiling at a boutique in August of this year in Switzerland, yes billionaire Oprah Winfrey.  

Also, as far as the change in Barney's security procedure goes it was implemented to apply to "COPS" as they are now only allowed in the store's control room.  Did you read or get a copy of the new security procedures?

No, "racial profiling at Barney's" says just that, it does not imply that racial profiling is encouraged by Barney's. It does imply that racial profiling did occur and that procedures at Barney's allowed it to happen.

Oprah is irrelevant. The fact that these events have occurred multiple times at Barney's are evidence that this is not a rogue employee(s) and is an actual corporate policy/procedural problem that leads to racial profiling at Barney's.

A change in Barney's security procedure can only apply to Barney's employees, as Barney's employees are the only ones bound by Barney's policies/procedures. If the cops are bound by the security policy, then those cops must be also Barney's employees as well and part of the racial profiling as well.

You fools think they are going to put "look out for the blacks" on there policies?

Of course not .

Smh

I think the fact that we are still talking about this incident says a few things.

A. Blacks have become jaded to what really matters

B. facts are no longer as important as opinions

C. Black people are way to sensitive.

D. Current generation has no real concept of racism.

E. black people are lost..

F. I'm terrified of the future of race relations in the future; I'm terrified of black identity in the future.

This whole incident says more about race, black identity and society as a whole than it does about jay z of Hadry belefonte

No, "racial profiling at Barney's" says just that, it does not imply that racial profiling is encouraged by Barney's. It does imply that racial profiling did occur and that procedures at Barney's allowed it to happen.

Oprah is irrelevant. The fact that these events have occurred multiple times at Barney's are evidence that this is not a rogue employee(s) and is an actual corporate policy/procedural problem that leads to racial profiling at Barney's.

A change in Barney's security procedure can only apply to Barney's employees, as Barney's employees are the only ones bound by Barney's policies/procedures. If the cops are bound by the security policy, then those cops must be also Barney's employees as well and part of the racial profiling as well.
Again, what specific, detailed and outlined procedures at Barney's suggest that the company purposely allowed this to happen?  I already debunked your notion that there was a corporate policy/procedural wherewithal that purposely allowed this to take place as Barney's has black employees on it's staff.  Do you really think black employees would just go right along with racial profiling that is either taught or encouraged by the company?  

The same racial profiling aspersions that your trying to place on Barney's are the same aspersions that some individuals place on the black community when an incident occur against them at the hands of a black person.  "A racial profiling experience happens at a Barney's location so there must be a policy of racial profiling at all Barney's", which then leads to statements such as this from the other side "One black person commits a crime so all blacks must commit crime"  The same cycle of ignorance is just repeated over again.  

Again, did you read the change in Barney's security procedure??  The change in Barney's security procedure was re-written for the purposes as it applies to police officers, not to employees.  Since you appear to be misinformed on the specific topic at hand, I copied an article below on the new Barney's security procedures, check it out champ.......http://www.theroot.com/articles/cul...policy_after_shopping_while_black_claims.html  

Exactly, it's his money; can't be mad if he chooses not to give back. Don't patronize him if you don't like him for whatever reason.
You sound so stupid who is asking jay to give back?

We are asking him to revalute working with people who harass people like him at a store he is opening a brand.
Do you know what the word "reevaluate" means??  It means to look over, estimate, assess the situation.  It appears the Jay Z did "reevaluate" the situation with Barney's given his written statement after the incident occurred and decided to move forward in his partnership with Barney's.  Now if you and others want Jay Z to quit his partnership with Barney's then that's something else entirely and you and the rest of those supporters that feel this way need to state that as such.  

[thread="576057"] [/thread]

Again, what specific, detailed and outlined procedures at Barney's suggest that the company purposely allowed this to happen?  I already debunked your notion that there was a corporate policy/procedural wherewithal that purposely allowed this to take place as Barney's has black employees on it's staff.  Do you really think black employees would just go right along with racial profiling that is either taught or encouraged by the company?  

The same racial profiling aspersions that your trying to place on Barney's are the same aspersions that some individuals place on the black community when an incident occur against them at the hands of a black person.  "A racial profiling experience happens at a Barney's location so there must be a policy of racial profiling at all Barney's", which then leads to statements such as this from the other side "One black person commits a crime so all blacks must commit crime"  The same cycle of ignorance is just repeated over again.  

Again, did you read the change in Barney's security procedure??  The change in Barney's security procedure was re-written for the purposes as it applies to police officers, not to employees.  Since you appear to be misinformed on the specific topic at hand, I copied an article below on the new Barney's security procedures, check it out champ.......http://www.theroot.com/articles/cul...policy_after_shopping_while_black_claims.html 

Again, only an actual Barney's employee would have access to the company's procedures to identify exactly what procedures failed that led to the racial profiling. Black employees do not have to go along with racial profiling in order for there to be policies that allowed for it to happen. Have Black employees spoken out in defense of Barney's?

Now, you are making up a position that I never took and arguing against it. There is a big difference between having an explicit policy that advocates racial profiling and having procedures that lead to racial profiling. A policy that leads to racial profiling could just be a policy so vague and that gives so much freedom to pursue or make decisions that the result is racial profiling.

Finally, it is Barney's security procedure right? As in Barney's the store, which would apply to Barney's employees which would be responsible for enforcing Barney's security policies.

Again, only an actual Barney's employee would have access to the company's procedures to identify exactly what procedures failed that led to the racial profiling. Black employees do not have to go along with racial profiling in order for there to be policies that allowed for it to happen. Have Black employees spoken out in defense of Barney's?

Now, you are making up a position that I never took and arguing against it. There is a big difference between having an explicit policy that advocates racial profiling and having procedures that lead to racial profiling. A policy that leads to racial profiling could just be a policy so vague and that gives so much freedom to pursue or make decisions that the result is racial profiling.

Finally, it is Barney's security procedure right? As in Barney's the store, which would apply to Barney's employees which would be responsible for enforcing Barney's security policies.
So I ask you again, what specific corporate policies do you either know of or have concrete evidence  to that supports your claim of "policies that allowed for it to happen" 

I think the fact that we are still talking about this incident says a few things.

A. Blacks have become jaded to what really matters= Yup

B. facts are no longer as important as opinions = Definitely, Feelings have taken over common sense, most likely from a result of maternal upbringing of the millennial generation

C. Black people are way to sensitive. = Not compared to White People.....

D. Current generation has no real concept of racism. = I agree, people think Racism is more of actions than state of mind......... I.E " I'm not racist but........."

E. black people are lost.. = Really? Sharkeisha really got you caught up like that?

F. I'm terrified of the future of race relations in the future; I'm terrified of black identity in the future. = Race relations will be fine, all the ignorant will die out eventually, racism will go the way of homophobia and be completely taboo, black identity on the other hand is in serious jeopardy....

This whole incident says more about race, black identity and society as a whole than it does about jay z of Hadry belefonte

For a High School dropout from Marcy Projects, some of yall have way too much expectations from this man, he cosigns the things he does more than actually come up with them.....

Sharkiesha ain't the problem. It's the lack of loyalty, lack of unity. Self hate, self segregation, prevention, lack of history, growing cultural gap between rich and poor blacks. That worry me.

As long as there are people of different skin tones race SHOULD NEVER be taboo.

Wow, 6 pages of jabber. First things first, just because ONE or TWO individual that work for Barney's racially idiotically racially profiled a gentleman, does not represent the company as a whole.

If I'm Jay Z, why the hell would I end my partnership with one of the best luxury clothing retailers the country has to offer because two bozos decide to be idiots and make themselves and the company look bad? At the end of the day, those two idiots weren't the ones signing the paperwork for the partnership nor were they involved with any inside business decisions.

I see Harry Belafonte's point, but at the same time I see a lot of salt in that article. 

To only donate $6000 out of $63M puts Jay-Z on a lower pedestal than Wyclef Jean.

He should have his hood card revoked. That would knock him down. If he couldn't show up to his own projects. Bye-bye street cred; white people don't love you anymore. :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom