"Harvard-led team detects gravitational waves, evidence of cosmic inflation" Vol. Big Bang

A new look at the Big Bang, moments later

CAMBRIDGE — In a landmark discovery about the first moments of the universe, a team led by a Harvard astronomer announced Monday it had found strong evidence of what happened just after the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago:

In the slightest fraction of a second, the universe — a speck one-billionth the size of a proton — doubled in size 100 times over, a dramatic expansion called inflation. Scientists call it the “bang” of the Big Bang.

The discovery was accomplished by capturing the first images of gravitational waves, ripples in space-time that were predicted a century ago by Albert Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

Scientists hailed the finding as a transformative event that will provide deep and complicated questions for physicists to explore as well as transfix the imagination of the broader public, because it gives insight into a foundational question in physics: How did the universe begin?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/sci...c-inflation/nvWTo5iSyhbMauKD1GegsK/story.html

:pimp:

Last edited:
Amazing.

One of my good friends who's a physicist totally marked out this morning when the news hit. My joke response to him was that "We finally found this but can't find a plane with 250 people on it?" :lol:

Last edited:
Amazing.

One of my good friends who's a physicist totally marked out this morning when the news hit. My joke response to him was that "We finally found this but can't find a plane with 250 people on it?"
laugh.gif
word lol

“This is one of the most important scientific discoveries of all time,” said Max Tegmark, a physicist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology

swag swag swag

What do you guys think happens if somehow, someday they prove that the big bang happend. What happens to life ? Socially, and with religion and all that good stuff.

What do you guys think happens if somehow, someday they prove that the big bang happend. What happens to life ? Socially, and with religion and all that good stuff.

at this point most of the literal interpretations are basically :\ anyway. Belief in a higher power will continue. Also, there's still the "pre-big bang" universe if you catch my drift.

Last edited:
life is a crazy story, stories like this never fail for my mind to float off

They already did prove it. How does the big bang disprove the notion of God?

Last edited:
Enlighten me when they replicate the speed of light i.e. from earth to the moon in 1 second.

Back
Top Bottom