Has anyone ever had a "Final Grade" bumped up 1%?

I've gotten the bump, but only after going to the professor during office hours the entire semester. If you go at the end in a desperate attempt to get that bump, they're less inclined to give it to you. It shows you only gave a crap at the end, not through the whole term

edit: by office hours, I mean reviewing tests, and seeing what I did wrong (if I got a lower grade than I thought). Or asking for clarification on other random things. If you take an interest in your own education, the professor will take an interest as well. I've had professors raise my test grade by a half grade because I just asked questions, one-on-one.

Last edited:
I've had a 78 curved up to to a B.

I just got an 88.8 and I'd be surprised if that got rounded up.

I mean it's all relative to what the grade distribution is in the class. I took a grad class where I had an 89.7, but that was the 5th highest grade in the class so I was bumped to an A. But I learned that making yourself noticeable and likeable will help your cause. Because the professor will then give you the benefit of the doubt, which is key. Professors always give me a little more leeway because I work so many hours on top of my class work.

Had a similar situation with 3 classes this semester. I just shoot them an E-Mail, and already been denied by one. Not expecting them to bump me at all so anything I get will be pleasant surprise. 

just got my final grades yesterday. Only took 2 classes due to work but my math teacher bumped me up from a C to B :smokin BUT my art teacher took my A down to a B. Made a 95 on all 3 of my art projects, and for the final I didn't print my final on a 24x36 poster because i didnt want to pay 40 for that ish at fedex kinkos, well it apparently cost me a letter grade :smh:

Last edited:
I've only got it in classes where the professor knew me from answering and asking question ...... just generally speaking up. But I've also noticed that if you know how to stroke some professors egos, while being straight forward and honest they tend to give you a pass ... For example in one of my math classes the professor was known to shooting down late hw or people trying to email them the hw -... however I was able to get mine through by taking responsibility for my actions and letting it be known that I would take any punishment for my wrong doing

I always remember that at the end of the semester professors' "shields" tend to up and they're more prone to just shell out nos if you don't properly ply and grease them first

Last edited:
I'm in a dilemma with my professors right now.
I have two courses in which I need a slight bump for my gpa.

I have an average of 79.83%.
I have another class that I have a 89%. 

depends on teachers. if you were a student who always hung around, and showed real interest they'll usually bump in your favor.

however, i hope you don't get a bump. you didn't earn it. depending on your GPA system, someone who earned an 87 and your 79 rounded up to 80 count the same. when in fact, the guy who got the 87 worked harder and did better than you did throughout the semester.

Last edited:
depends on teachers. if you were a student who always hung around, and showed real interest they'll usually bump in your favor.

however, i hope you don't get a bump. you didn't earn it. depending on your GPA system, someone who earned an 87 and your 79 rounded up to 80 count the same. when in fact, the guy who got the 87 worked harder and did better than you did throughout the semester.

That's not true at all. It just means that person got a better grade than you on any number of assignments, for any number of reasons. One's grade isn't necessarily representative of the effort they put forth to attain that grade.

OP has already said they did office hours AND review sessions. It's very petty of you to hope that they don't get a bump, especially knowing a job offer is on the table. That crab in a bucket mentality won't get you anywhere in life.

Last edited:
Not really a bump up, but last year I had one of my classes at 89.55% so I emailed the professor with a respectful request for a roundup and she obliged without any objection.

Last edited:

That's not true at all. It just means that person got a better grade than you on any number of assignments, for any number of reasons. One's grade isn't necessarily representative of the effort they put forth to attain that grade.

OP has already said they did office hours AND review sessions. It's very petty of you to hope that they don't get a bump, especially knowing a job offer is on the table. That crab in a bucket mentality won't get you anywhere in life.

let me rephrase. they may not have worked harder, but they did better than him. facts.

if i score higher than you do, why should you get a bump to be on the level i earned because you were "oh so close"? you didn't earn what i earned.

let me rephrase. they may not have worked harder, but they did better than him. facts.

if i score higher than you do, why should you get a bump to be on the level i earned because you were "oh so close"? you didn't earn what i earned.

Also a fallacy. It's a matter of subjectivity, and a better grade doesn't mean that person did "better." OP's grade might be missing that percentage point for any number of reasons; maybe the professor lost an assignment, perhaps the professor simply didn't like the approach that OP took for the hypothesis of their paper, maybe OP was late to class after getting a flat... there are dozens of reasons why a person's grade might be lower than another that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of work and everything to do with the subjectivity of the class and the circumstances of not only the student, but the professor as well.

I'm not going to debate the many, legitimate reasons why someone's grade may be less than stellar in spite of their overall effort. If you're really that concerned about the next man going from 79.x% to 80%, in the name of preserving the sanctity of your 87%, you're already too far gone -- enjoy the bottom of the bucket.

Last edited:

Also a fallacy. It's a matter of subjectivity, and a better grade doesn't mean that person did "better." OP's grade might be missing that percentage point for any number of reasons; maybe the professor lost an assignment, perhaps the professor simply didn't like the approach that OP took for the hypothesis of their paper, maybe OP was late to class after getting a flat... there are dozens of reasons why a person's grade might be lower than another that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of work and everything to do with the subjectivity of the class and the circumstances of not only the student, but the professor as well.

I'm not going to debate the many, legitimate reasons why someone's grade may be less than stellar in spite of their overall effort. If you're really that concerned about the next man going from 79.x% to 80%, in the name of preserving the sanctity of your 87%, you're already too far gone -- enjoy the bottom of the bucket

wrong from the jump. the primary objective of school and the grade point system is to score the highest you can. scoring higher = doing better than someone else. in school, you're competing against everyone else. you think summa cum laude and magna cum laude are things people just do for fun? that's the basis for my argument against him getting a grade bump. so yeah, if i score a 95 in a course and get an A, and you get an 89 and get bumped up to a 90 then yes, i'm upset. because you are my competition.

now if you want to argue, because someone scores higher doesn't mean they're necessarily smarter than someone who scores less, i can agree with that. know plenty of people that pulled straight As because they're amazing at regurgitating information, but not a lick of common sense or street smarts.

Last edited:
wrong from the jump. the primary objective of school and the grade point system is to score the highest you can. scoring higher = doing better than someone else. in school, you're competing against everyone else. you think summa cum laude and magna cum laude are things people just do for fun? that's the basis for my argument against him getting a grade bump. so yeah, if i score a 95 in a course and get an A, and you get an 89 and get bumped up to a 90 then yes, i'm upset. because you are my competition.

now if you want to argue, because someone scores higher doesn't mean they're necessarily smarter than someone who scores less, i can agree with that. know plenty of people that pulled straight As because they're amazing at regurgitating information, but not a lick of common sense or street smarts.

:lol: are you okay man?

:lol: are you okay man?

Ofcourse he is... he's just doing work son.

depends on the professor I'd say
They'd have to answer to the dean of the department for doing **** like that.
laugh.gif

Let a ***** lower me from a B+ to a C+, gonna have to engage in the fisticuffs.

No you won't

People, your final grade is the grade YOU EARNED. Could you get your paycheck and ask "could you just round it up to the next dollar?"?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom