Has being a hipster become......dare i say?..........Mainstream?

abesent in this misplaced rant is da fact that people DO things because they LIKE IT and not because they SAW IT somewhere.....this was a common thing pre-internet, pre "urban" demographic...
roll.gif

Yeah...they didn't see those images, they were just telepathic representations of originality!
when people traveled styles would change so drastically because guess what? things weren't so homogenized with da internet da way it is now...Rap music PRE yo YO MTV raps actually had to be DISCOVERED by people outside New York...
I guess magazines and TV didn't exist either. 
roll.gif

i remember when tapes was one of da VALUABLE things you would bring back from a vacation trip from where ever you came from because where else would you hear regional stars that dont get air play outside their respective homes.

Oh the good old days...Comparing groups of regional markets that draw their influences from each other! How original all of those people were, not drawing on influences from each other that is. 
roll.gif

my cousin from FL would come back with a duffle bag FULL of bootleg cassettes from harlem and da heightz of tapes music that wouldnt get a chance to hear down south...begging me for Clue tapes, beggging me for kid capris, etc.

And? 

ya got it easy now.. this generation merely has to fire up its PC/mac and download what swag they wanna imitate.//no paying dues, no doing homework on ish, no learning why certain clothes and music is held in such high regard...nope...

just look, copy, playout da swag...repeat.

Doing homework?

Oh, so watching a video of someone else's trip counts as "doing homework?" 

Man, i'm sorry you invested all that time "soaking up game" 
roll.gif

I bet you pull out the leather bound encylopedias when its time to do research papers, huh? 

I bet you stealin--I mean "learning" about other "regions" means that what you were doing wasn't copying, but "embracing" ...

This dude is trying to say that when HE embraced a style, he was actually original about it. 

I wonder where that Nike collection started... 
grin.gif

roll.gif

Last edited:
hypebeast annoy me more then hipsters....

they're both at da ends of a lifespan of a ________

a hipster will discover something or adopt something abandoned, or know something...which give em a feeling of superiority...they thrive on manufactured exclusivity

soon as they lose that edge they lose their powers...

hypebeast are da last wagon of a trend before it gets played out..kinda like a star shines it brightest before it flames out and dies...they always playing catch up

so their change wit da winds..lames

da trick to fend off these subcultures is just be knowledgeable with whateva you like to do..a hipster can't tell a REAL rap fan about wu-tang, they can fool their non hipster

friends, but to someone who knows they stuff they frauds. a hypebeast would only know what da LATEST rap act is, so they would act like OFWGKTA is da OG powerful rap collective.

and tomorrow they'll jump on kirko bangz wit snapbacks and star tattoos...no morals whatsoever, lames.

couldnt have save it better myself :smokin

but hipsters arent that bad though they in their own little world

hypebeast on the other hand though got me :smh: when i see em in public

Last edited:
I live in Minneapolis... also known as the new home of the hipsters (recently trumping Portland).

I've definitely added some touches of hipster to my style... but it's really just modern style. Slim, fitted clothes have become mainstream along with most hipster mainstays.

But got damb, are there ever legions of hipsters in my city. If you hate hipsters, don't visit.

Ive liked snapbacks for a long time mostly because i cut my hair like once a month or a month and a half and if i have a fitted it doesnt fit me with my hair grown out and when i cut my hair its too big.

does that mean i am a hipster?

Ive liked snapbacks for a long time mostly because i cut my hair like once a month or a month and a half and if i have a fitted it doesnt fit me with my hair grown out and when i cut my hair its too big.

no it just means you need to cut your hair more often

i used to get semi clowned for wearing snapbacks back in high school. people would ask why i cant just buy fitteds, tho i had some i just didnt wear them that much. now look how many people are wearing snapbacks now

also i just got prescription glasses, the malcom xs and some other typical ones, and when i wear them people think theyre just for decoration. like why the #$%@ would i wear non prescription glasses for

abesent in this misplaced rant is da fact that people DO things because they LIKE IT and not because they SAW IT somewhere.....this was a common thing pre-internet, pre "urban" demographic...

when people traveled styles would change so drastically because guess what? things weren't so homogenized with da internet da way it is now...Rap music PRE yo YO MTV raps actually had to be DISCOVERED by people outside New York...

i remember when tapes was one of da VALUABLE things you would bring back from a vacation trip from where ever you came from because where else would you hear regional stars that dont get air play outside their respective homes.

my cousin from FL would come back with a duffle bag FULL of bootleg cassettes from harlem and da heightz of tapes music that wouldnt get a chance to hear down south...begging me for Clue tapes, beggging me for kid capris, etc.

ya got it easy now.. this generation merely has to fire up its PC/mac and download what swag they wanna imitate.//no paying dues, no doing homework on ish, no learning why certain clothes and music is held in such high regard...nope...

just look, copy, playout da swag...repeat.

Real talk. The ny kids who transferred down here were shocked when they saw I had mixtapes from up there. Hell, kids around here didn't even know what a mixtape was back then. That didn't change till around the time dmx started getting hot.

Last edited:
OP, why don't you post a pic of what you think a hipster is? That way we can all familiriaze with your description of what a hipster is.

man yall are crazy. you cant really delineate a hipster/hypebeast from someone who's merely wearing/buying/doing what they want unless they explictly say so either way. no one here can read minds.

personally i think what separates a hipster from all the rest is the SNOBBERY of it all. i have cousins/roommates who's friends are like this...they like to throw out sarcastic/snarky comments about anything mainstream just because it is so. its those pseudo-intellectuals with all the condescension who need to get checked.

no means youre a hypebeast :lol:

Last edited:
Honestly people are so concerned over the box they fit in for no reason. Some days i wear jorts and a tank top (hipster?) some days i wear a button down with khakis some days i wear skinny jeans and a v-neck t-shirt. Who honestly cares that much.

And seriously guys I dress like a hipster some times because I LOVE hipster chicks...pics to back up my point

Honestly people are so concerned over the box they fit in for no reason. Some days i wear jorts and a tank top (hipster?) some days i wear a button down with khakis some days i wear skinny jeans and a v-neck t-shirt. Who honestly cares that much.

And seriously guys I dress like a hipster some times because I LOVE hipster chicks...pics to back up my point

thats not hipster

thats not hipster

:rofl:

hipsters a corn ball culture vultures who attempt to be original by leeching onto other scenes.

in the end who give a flying fuh

Am I wrong in pointing out that there's a smugness associated with those that go around labeling others, like they have that person completely figured out just by observing their outer appearance? I'm not just talking about those that seem to get a kick out of pointing out "hipsters." Generalizations are a mark of intellectual laziness.

Last edited:
Look at Ninja schooling FutureMD
laugh.gif
nthat.gif
Ninjahood is claiming that his decision to wear Nike's and whatever 80s gear is because he's an independent agent and not subject to the very degree of marketing and cultural identity he chooses to adopt.

You have posters in this thread claiming that since they grew up in the 80s, they're more "original" as in they didn't "learn" how to do what they even did in the first place. 

Yeah, NO ONE else but you is "original"

How do you even wake up and look yourself in the mirror and let that come out of your mouth?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom