Has the Jordan hype gone down?

The bubble burst.

The "new sneakerhead" culture was at its height around 2011-2013 (The rise of IG). JB and Nike made way too many corny color ways to frequently. Especially foams. Cheaper alternatives like huaraches became popular again. Designer sneakers also have risen in popularity. Things were bound to go back to the norm.

Instagram is slowly losing popularity as well...another factor.

I agree the bubble burst but only in terms of sneaker "culture" jordan brand, specifically the retro line has essentially become mainstream. I think that a lot of us get in the habit of seeing things from the context of sneaker culture which isn't necessarily a good representation of what's going on in the real world. Jordans hype may be declining in the eyes of hardcore collectors/enthusiasts but in reality JB has never been more popular and profitable than it is today.

I agree the bubble burst but only in terms of sneaker "culture" jordan brand, specifically the retro line has essentially become mainstream. I think that a lot of us get in the habit of seeing things from the context of sneaker culture which isn't necessarily a good representation of what's going on in the real world. Jordans hype may be declining in the eyes of hardcore collectors/enthusiasts but in reality JB has never been more popular and profitable than it is today.

It kind of reminds me of how hyped Nike SB Dunks used to be.. And, while there are some hyped releases nowadays, SB Dunk releases are pretty attainable for all. Back in 2006, I remember a lot of releases would quickly sellout just like the GR JB retros recently used to.

Last edited:
^^^^Yup. The SB hype was crazy in 06/07. But it was more niche. That bubble eventually burst too.

But the sneaker culture wouldn't be what it is today without the SB Dunk hype of the mid 00's. That ushered in a lot.

Exactly. My point is just that I separated the "want to be like Mike" from my purchases and it's helped me just buy what I like now. I don't have the "Mike wore it so I need it" mentality anymore.

o no doubt

i see what youre saying

I think that a lot of us get in the habit of seeing things from the context of sneaker culture which isn't necessarily a good representation of what's going on in the real world. Jordans hype may be declining in the eyes of hardcore collectors/enthusiasts but in reality JB has never been more popular and profitable than it is today.

facts

repped

Exactly. My point is just that I separated the "want to be like Mike" from my purchases and it's helped me just buy what I like now. I don't have the "Mike wore it so I need it" mentality anymore.

o no doubt

i see what youre saying

Bruh... When the Bulls would come on TNT, I would hurry up and grab my XIs, clean them with my toothbrush and soap, and put them on while I watched the game. Would be salty if he switched out of the shoes I had on since I only had 1 pair of Js at the time :lol:

I used to idolize MJ and want to be like him when I was younger. Once I learned about the man he really is, I stopped caring about the stuff he actually wore.

I just buy shoes I like now regardless if it's OG or not.

It's ok lol. It's one thing to learn about who he truly is through other people's eyes than to learn from your own personal experiences with him. Dude got burned by a lot of people, family included, trying to be everything to everybody. He even got to a point where he flat out said that once he no longer has to be "Air Jordan", he can say eff the world. He never liked his "clean" image, because he knew that one "chamillionaire story" could shatter that whole fascade. It may hurt some fans to realize he doesn't care about the kicks quite as much as we do, being that he spent night after night busting corns and callouses in them. For every 1 "jerk" tale, there's about 10 "he's awesome" stories in the bank.

I used to idolize MJ and want to be like him when I was younger. Once I learned about the man he really is, I stopped caring about the stuff he actually wore.

It's ok lol. It's one thing to learn about who he truly is through other people's eyes than to learn from your own personal experiences with him. Dude got burned by a lot of people, family included, trying to be everything to everybody. He even got to a point where he flat out said that once he no longer has to be "Air Jordan", he can say eff the world. He never liked his "clean" image, because he knew that one "chamillionaire story" could shatter that whole fascade. It may hurt some fans to realize he doesn't care about the kicks quite as much as we do, being that he spent night after night busting corns and callouses in them. For every 1 "jerk" tale, there's about 10 "he's awesome" stories in the bank.

Honestly, now that I'm an adult, he's everything I don't want to be other than the successful part. I just see things differently now.
I mean, Mike is that dude... But he's not a role model for me not whom I would have my kids look up to.

he never liked his clean image, but he sure played that part well for the spotlight when playing against the Bad Boys of the NBA

Facts. dude be saying he don't want other people wearing the same shoes he is. Smh

I said i dislike teens wearing jordans and dont know about him at all.
It's like you wear a che guevara tshirt and dont know him.
It was different like in the late 1980s to 2003 when most people who purchased a pair of air jordans know that those are worn by MJ. And even those who only purchased them for style they still know about him.
There is also a difference between teens wearing Bulls apparels because they are "fashion" like many NY yankees caps or real Bulls fans who watch and follow that team.

Last edited:
I said i dislike teens wearing jordans and dont know about him at all.
It's like you wear a che guevara tshirt and dont know him.
It was different like in the late 1980s to 2003 when most people who purchased a pair of air jordans know that those are worn by MJ. And even those who only purchased them for style they still know about him.
There is also a difference between teens wearing Bulls apparels because they are "fashion" like many NY yankees caps or real Bulls fans who watch and follow that team.

Well here's the thing, Retros aren't a performance shoe anymore. They're life style shoes. Essentially their purpose is for fashion and they're popular because they're fashionable. People where different gear for different reasons, who's to say yours is more valid than another. And this is coming from someone who grew up watching jordan play. When I was younger and cared about not having the same shoes as everyone else I probably would have felt the same. But the brand has since lost its luster with me. I may pick up a pair here and there but I'm over JB

Last edited:
Well here's the thing, Retros aren't a performance shoe anymore. They're life style shoes. Essentially their purpose is for fashion and they're popular because they're fashionable. People where different gear for different reasons, who's to say yours is more valid than another. And this is coming from someone who grew up watching jordan play. When I was younger and cared about not having the same shoes as everyone else I probably would have felt the same. But the brand has since lost its luster with me. I may pick up a pair here and there but I'm over JB

Fully agree.

I think the recent retros success is also linked with the hype. Because before the aj11 concords 2011 release, in most countries outside of the usa were quite easy to get. Non model sold out anymore for years. In Germany and Luxembourg i rarely saw people wearing shoes with a jumpman on it.
While models like the aj 1, 3, 4 have been popular as their designs are quite timeless for casual, the later models were mostly purchased by air jordan collectors back then before 2011.

JB has been flooding the market with many generic jordan brand fashion shoes which often used the sole design of the aj 3 or milked the spizikes, son of Mars etc.
Most jordan brand shoes even have names I don't remember at all.
And i also don't care about those anyway but focus on the air jordan main line only.
My very first air jordans were the og playoffs 8 in 1993 but don't have them anymore as i did not collect them before late 1996. Now my last pairs the black /team orange 29.
Am looking forward to the 30 despite the chance that i can have them are slim.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much over jordans period. I own Spacejams, Bred IV's and waiting for Black/Metallic V's. Outside of that I don't care for much else, maybe Bordeaux's but the majority of J's don't go with my style these days. I tried to like the aquas but the shoe is too damn bulky for me today.

Price is a killer too, dishing out $200 several times a year is not the move. They're charging $140 for youth sizes, that was like retail for men in 07'. Like stated earlier, for one pair of jordans you can go to cowboom and buy a Xbox One. JB is buggin with these prices. Lebron's and KD's are going on sale for cheaper and the quality is way better and actually up to today's standards.

Fully agree.

I think the recent retros success is also linked with the hype. Because before the aj11 concords 2011 release, in most countries outside of the usa were quite easy to get. Non model sold out anymore for years. In Germany and Luxembourg i rarely saw people wearing shoes with a jumpman on it.
While models like the aj 1, 3, 4 have been popular as their designs are quite timeless for casual, the later models were mostly purchased by air jordan collectors back then before 2011.

JB has been flooding the market with many generic jordan brand fashion shoes which often used the sole design of the aj 3 or milked the spizikes, son of Mars etc.
Most jordan brand shoes even have names I don't remember at all.
And i also don't care about those anyway but focus on the air jordan main line only.
My very first air jordans were the og playoffs 8 in 1993 but don't have them anymore as i did not collect them before late 1996. Now my last pairs the black /team orange 29.
Am looking forward to the 30 despite the chance that i can have them are slim.
agreed. the many generic designs that uses the 3 and the 4 outsoles are horrible. this include the spizikes and son of mars. i thought the hype started with the 09 space jams. before that release i never have any problem buying the releases i want a day or even couple days after. all down hill after that with all the raffle and bots on ndc. 

as far as wearing retros to play, you can still play in them. i've played in all of the retros up to 2009. it is just that the performance basketball shoes has come so far ahead with the Lebrons, KDs, and Kobes (not to mention the flagship Jordans) that you wouldn't want to playing in retros anymore other than for nostalgic reasons like i did when i got the 2013 Taxis. I would probably still play in them if it wasn't for the lack of padding in the tongue that caused the edge of the tongue to dig into my ankles.

definitely looking forward to the 30 to be used on court. 

It kind of reminds me of how hyped Nike SB Dunks used to be.. And, while there are some hyped releases nowadays, SB Dunk releases are pretty attainable for all. Back in 2006, I remember a lot of releases would quickly sellout just like the GR JB retros recently used to.
We as sneakerheads tend to focus on the wrong things though. The times of highly limited Dunks that people camp for is over at the moment, yes. But do you know how many Janoskis and stuff Nike Sb sellsl a month? Same with Team Jordans and Eclipses, those are all highly successful shoes that we as sneakerheads may overlook, but to the majority these are the shoes they buy.
We are a niche and we keep forgetting that.

We as sneakerheads tend to focus on the wrong things though. The times of highly limited Dunks that people camp for is over at the moment, yes. But do you know how many Janoskis and stuff Nike Sb sellsl a month? Same with Team Jordans and Eclipses, those are all highly successful shoes that we as sneakerheads may overlook, but to the majority these are the shoes they buy.

We are a niche and we keep forgetting that.

Exactly. JB is essentially just doing fan service when they do "limited" releases. It didn't cross my mind until recently that maybe those shoes that are limited whether they're collabs or a special edition/commemorative shoe are produced in such low numbers because the niche of sneaker heads really is that small. Production numbers maybe more reflective of the target demographic than for hype purposes.

I'm trying to ween myself off the Retros. Outside of a few ivs, xvi, and xvii I have the ones I want. The prices are outrageous now. 220 for Nike air!? Those were resell prices a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom