Has Tyreke Evans been teasing us or has he peaked as a player?

Since his rookie year his fg %, ppg, rpg and ast have all declined. His steals and blocks per game have remained steady so he is still getting after it defensively. My question is what is the reason for this steady drop off?

If you look at the elite pg's in the league how many of them have more talent than Tyreke? (I know the Kings have been playing him off the ball some but he will always be a scoring pg to me.) I look at D.Rose and Rondo and imo neither has more talent than Tyreke. The difference between those players and Reke is the impact they make for their respective teams. Seems like Reke has no rub off effect. Reke can get his but it doesn't translate into anything meaningful. How the Kings only won 21 games this season is beyond me. Hell, the Detroit pistons won 24 games this year to put this is perspective and most of yall can't name their starting five. The Hornets won 20 games last year and Gordon missed most of the season. The Hornets had a pretty bad roster as well. I know the core of the Kings' are young but I don't want to use that as an excuse.

The Rockets made a playoff push toward the end of the season and they don't have two players and good as tyreke and cousins. The T'wolves made a push also before Rubio and others caught the injury bug and they also don't have two players as good as cousins and reke.

Year in and year out based on talent alone Reke should be mentioned as an All-star selection.

Are my expecations too high, or will Tyreke become this generation's Lamar Odom? All the talent in the world but never or was unwilling to put it all together.

Production wise, he peaked his rookie year.

But he can certainly improve/tweak his game to benefit his team more. But I have doubts he will.

dude needs consistent coaching and a set role.

I agree, i think the inconsistant coaching certainly plays a role

i dont think we've seen Tyreke at his best. with an improved Kings team forming around him and hopefully with consistent coaching i think we'll be able to see this year, this full 82 game season what kind of player we'll be looking at in the years to come.

Production wise, he peaked his rookie year.

But he can certainly improve/tweak his game to benefit his team more. But I have doubts he will.
pretty much this. and its not to say his peak isn't anything to scoff at. If he can play how he played his rookie year he'll be ok.

Fans will point out his foot injury that set him back his 2nd year.

I say his attitude and coaching situation (going from PG to SF!) both play into his lackluster play. Watching him in person, he seems to take a lot of possessions off.

Fans will point out his foot injury that set him back his 2nd year.
I say his attitude and coaching situation (going from PG to SF!) both play into his lackluster play. Watching him in person, he seems to take a lot of possessions off.

Co-signing this.

He plays like three positions. Once he/coaching staff figure out what is his best position, then we'll see the all-star numbers.

Since his rookie year his fg %, ppg, rpg and ast have all declined. His steals and blocks per game have remained steady so he is still getting after it defensively. My question is what is the reason for this steady drop off?
If you look at the elite pg's in the league how many of them have more talent than Tyreke? (I know the Kings have been playing him off the ball some but he will always be a scoring pg to me.)
I look at D.Rose and Rondo and imo neither has more talent than Tyreke.[S] The difference between those players and Reke is the impact they make for their respective teams. Seems like Reke has no rub off effect. Reke can get his but it doesn't translate into anything meaningful. How the Kings only won 21 games this season is beyond me. Hell, the Detroit pistons won 24 games this year to put this is perspective and most of yall can't name their starting five. The Hornets won 20 games last year and Gordon missed most of the season. The Hornets had a pretty bad roster as well. I know the core of the Kings' are young but I don't want to use that as an excuse.
The Rockets made a playoff push toward the end of the season and they don't have two players and good as tyreke and cousins. The T'wolves made a push also before Rubio and others caught the injury bug and they also don't have two players as good as cousins and reke.
Year in and year out based on talent alone Reke should be mentioned as an All-star selection.
Are my expecations too high, or will Tyreke become this generation's Lamar Odom? All the talent in the world but never or was unwilling to put it all together.[/S]

So Tyreke Evans is more talented then Derrick Rose?

6p4v49.gif

But to answer the post (after a absurd comment like that)...

As far as him progressing, I believe they have to put better talent (that fits Tyreke skills set) around him to get more out of him team wise, that’s just the way it goes sometimes,
Reke be balling but he is just on a immature/ bad team.

It’s always room to grow and get better...I thought Cousins, Thompson and Reke would turn that franchise around. The addition of Thomas Robinson could help him. Thomas Robinson work ethic alone might push some of the younger players to get better and improve.

But like you said earlier, his numbers will always be there but if they don't produce wins, he won’t really progress to become a elite NBA PG.

Last edited:
Reke be balling but he is just on a immature/ bad team.

It’s always room to grow and get better...I thought Cousins, Thompson and Reke would turn that franchise around. The addition of Thomas Robinson could help him. Thomas Robinson work ethic alone might push some of the younger players to get better and improve.

But like you said earlier, his numbers will always be there but if they don't produce wins, he won’t really progress to become a elite NBA PG.
This. when our team leader is our rookie PG who was the 60th pick of the draft in Isaiah Thomas, you know we are an immature (in terms of youth, this team acts well; even DMC) and dumb team.

Tyreke ain't know PG or SF. He is, and always will be a ball dominant SG. Put a distributing PG (unfortunately thats not IT or Aaron Brooks or Jimmer) and that would be a good fit. Also a good spot up SF next to him would do wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's 22, give him more time.
The kid is a hard worker though, I'll give him that.

It has yet to show on the court though 
laugh.gif
 his jumper is broke still and he still gets tunnel vision when he drives. I think what he needs to work on even more than his jumper though, is his court vision. If learns to move the ball just a little bit that will open up the floor for him when he drives; plus it won't piss off his teammates.

It has yet to show on the court though :lol:  his jumper is broke still and he still gets tunnel vision when he drives. I think what he needs to work on even more than his jumper though, is his court vision. If learns to move the ball just a little bit that will open up the floor for him when he drives; plus it won't piss off his teammates.

?

It has yet to show on the court though 
laugh.gif
 his jumper is broke still and he still gets tunnel vision when he drives. I think what he needs to work on even more than his jumper though, is his court vision. If learns to move the ball just a little bit that will open up the floor for him when he drives; plus it won't piss off his teammates.
?
[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

too on point

He is one of the worst jump shooting guards in the league,his jumper is completely broken, untill he at least makes it respectable like Russel Westbrok, D, Rose, and D-Wade has he's going to contine to struggle, he can start with GOING STRAIGHT UP AND STRAIGHT DOWN.

I don't know, book is kind of out on him. He doesn't go left, will cross you but let you recover so he can cross you again for the highlight rather than the efficient, smart play, really only passes as a last resort and then he's playing sometimes 1, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 on one of the most selfish, poorly assembled teams in the league.

Reke needs to get outta sacremento or find a new energy about the game. He's a great scorer. With hard work in his jumper he should be a franchise player. He's very capable of playing good defense also. It all starts with him and having a decent coach or consist system wouldnt hurt either.

1. He needs a jumper

2. He needs to learn how to initiate the offense QUICKLY and not just dribble for 10-12 sec. before passing the ball

3. Make the smart, sound play instead of playing Iso-ball aka HERO BALL.

All of this is partly due to himself as well as the situation he was brought into (revolving head coach carousel, Paul Westfail spoonfeeding Tyreke his first 2 years, etc.). I really hope Coach Smart moves 'Reke back at the point FULL-TIME, just so we can see what he's capable of. Either we keep him, or use it as an audition for other teams to trade during the trade deadline.

I really do hope 'Reke is able to "Put it together" ala Russell Westbrook 2010. All really depends on that jumpshot tho....

I don't know, book is kind of out on him. He doesn't go left, will cross you but let you recover so he can cross you again for the highlight rather than the efficient, smart play, really only passes as a last resort and then he's playing sometimes 1, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 on one of the most selfish, poorly assembled teams in the league.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That whole team is young as hell but needs to be completely blown up already. I'd keep Cousins, Jimmer and IT and see what I can get for the rest. Yes that includes "Throb" who I think is going to suck as an NBA player.

Year 1 he was the point guard & just dominated the ball.

Year 2 he had plantar fascitis, which never really goes away until the next season.

And last year lil Zeke emerged as their PG, which is an issue since Tyreke has no idea how to play off the ball. It's kinda like in Memphis where he didn't look like a lottery pick until Calipari moved him to the 1. He has to be on the ball to have an impact.

And before Thomas took over at the 1 around mid Feb, his struggles were due to a combo of Keith Smart imploring him to pass more and teams figuring him out (can't shoot, hardly ever goes left)

So yeah, until he learns how to play off the ball, or is moved to a team where he can play point most of the time, he'll continue to underwhelm.

Last edited:
The right coaching & a consistant role plays a big part... I think once he gets that, it'll make a huge difference. From there, he has some things he needs to work on (most noteably his jumper), but he's young so he's got time. The skills & ability are all there, though.

Damn had no idea so many people watched the kings
laugh.gif

^ Never seen that or even knew about it either. :lol:

And OP, Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio is not better than Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins?

Tyreke can still be a solid player, but he's just gotta find his position AND most importantly, find a jumpshot. Teams will just sag off him taking away the best part of his game if he can't find SOMETHING respectable in terms of being a jumpshooter.

Back
Top Bottom