Have you ever picked up and just moved away?

I'm getting tired of this city life and feel like it's suffocating at times
MAAAANNN this commute is soul crushing, i take the PATH from NJ to NYC back and forth everyday and it's wearing down on me.

I just keep telling myself that them slow *** tourists that get on my nerves everyday saved up for some years to see some **** that I get to look at everyday in passing.

I can see myself picking up everything and leaving again in a few years, possibly somewhere in Mexico or Central Bay Area

I've told this before but:

Got in a relationship with an old college girl and quit my lil teaching job (making $9/hr at 40hrs/ 2 weeks so ain't makin' no money) and was applying for other jobs but nothing happening in Atlanta. She tells me about this job out in Fort Worth where she is so I apply online, do the training online, do my over phone interview, then they tell me I got a physical interview. So I take my $400 tax refund and buy a one way ticket to DFW, land Wednesday, interview Friday, got job Friday. Stayed with her and her parents until we broke up (2 months) and had to find my own spot.

Got an apartment across the street from my job and spent everything but my last $40 on deposits and bills for the new spot. Ended up spending another night over my ex's parents house and put $20 in her dad's car's tank and ate 4 hot dogs a day for the next 7-8 days, snatchin' ketchup and mustad packets from the QT down the street from my apartment survivin' until I got paid that next Friday.

Soon as my check cleared walked to the Whataburger and got me a triple lol. Started dating this girl and she helped me out a bunch. I fumbled a bit with her but she stuck around and ended up married with 3 kids 5 years later.

Leavin' GA for DFW with barely anything in my pocket was stressful and hurt a bunch at times but I look back at it all and laugh and tear up a bit because every day when I was going to bed a lil hungry but I already ate my 4 hot dogs for the day, I kept tellin' myself, "You just gotta make it to Friday".

Currently in FL where I've lived my whole life (27 years) and considering a move to Kauai, Hawaii next year. I've visited Hawaii 4 times, 3 times to Oahu and once to Kauai. Made a connection for a job if I want it out there and seriously considering making the leap.

I have a good job, family life is good here, gf is great...but I just feel stuck in life right now and want a change. Plus, I feel like living in Kauai will help enable my creative side and passion projects with photography more.

That's wild. I would have had a nervous breakdown. :lol:

It's crazy how things can seem so difficult in the present, but when you look back you appreciate the struggle.

2012 was a really tough year for me, but looking back now I had no reason to complain really, relative to how others had it.

Currently in FL where I've lived my whole life (27 years) and considering a move to Kauai, Hawaii next year. I've visited Hawaii 4 times, 3 times to Oahu and once to Kauai. Made a connection for a job if I want it out there and seriously considering making the leap.

I have a good job, family life is good here, gf is great...but I just feel stuck in life right now and want a change. Plus, I feel like living in Kauai will help enable my creative side and passion projects with photography more.

This is my main motivation. What do you do for work? Hawaii cost of living is supposedly expensive AF.

Life prepares you for your struggles.
When I was in GA when moms wouldn't cook I'd go to Walmart and get this 8 pk of chicken hotdogs for $1 and some $1 buns and get home and eat 4 hot dogs and be straight. So when I got out here and hit bottom I knew what was necessary to JUST MAKE IT

nothing like those humble beginnings when you move to a new place. I remember the first night in my new apartment in Houston. I was so tired and broke that I didn't even have enough to buy an air mattress/pump for $20. I laid a few jackets on the floor and told Fred (my dog) 'bro, we here'. I struggled that entire year in Houston, only had an air mattress, inflatable couch, and a tv. My boy eventually had to crash with me for a month, but he landed the connects to get us both a better job in a different city.

Spent my first week no bed only my clothes.

Had an air mattress and blanket and pillow but my ex took em back after we had another argument.
Ended up pickin' up odd pieces of furniture from other folks in the apartments like beds and armoires

I've been looking at the Tacoma area as a potential landing spot, but I'm very open to other places. I've considered Colorado, California and Arizona as well.

Any NTers from the NW?

This is my main motivation. What do you do for work? Hawaii cost of living is supposedly expensive AF.

I have a job that has me traveling away from home about half the year. I love the benefits of travel and seeing new places and the work takes me to cool events, but I just don't know how much longer I can sustain this after 4 years of doing it now.

I have a job that has me traveling away from home about half the year. I love the benefits of travel and seeing new places and the work takes me to cool events, but I just don't know how much longer I can sustain this after 4 years of doing it now.

Man this sounds great. I'm a photographer and that'd be a dream for me. Care to share more detail on how you got this job?

Find time and tell us what the hell you did in those 10 years. I wanna know why you're not on Skid Row right now? I wanna know what was the purpose of moving to LA? What job did you first have? What job do you have now? Come on man.

:lol:, I too sometimes find myself asking why I'm not on Skid Row right now. I moved to LA because in all honesty, I was ready to not be on this Earth anymore. I never knew my father. My stepfather was abusive and my mother had made her choice...a new man over her kids. I was off at college completely miserable because of the state of my life. At that point I knew I had to make a decision. It was either stay here and watch myself slip away for good, or take a risk and try to push the reset button on my life somewhere else. I've always been a musician and music was my passion, so I decided it was either going to be ATL, NYC, or LA. I bought the ticket for LA. It was only $99 at the time. Flight 735 to LA. I was 19. The last thing my mother said to me before I left was, "You're never going to make it, you'll be back." So I had multiple sources of motivation...

I stayed in a hostel first. They would only allow guests for no more than 2 weeks, so I had to stay outside periodically until they allowed me back. I did this until my money ran out My grandmother was my guardian angel. She believed in me and she approved a loan for me to go to music school in Hollywood for 1 year. After I got out of school, it was rough. If you recall, 2008/09 is when the economy crashed and it was impossible to get a job. I had a 4.2 GPA in high school, I had 4 years of previous job experience, and I still couldn't get a job. I must have applied to at least 60 jobs and heard no from every one of them. I even tried to work at gas stations and they would just tell me "you're over qualified." The poverty was real. Top ramen was my savior. Hamburger Helper...just Helper tho lol. That was a treat. I couldn't go anywhere and do anything like normal people. No car, no money to go do anything. Not many friends. Just 4 walls.

Eventually, I found a Top 40/Classic Rock cover band in town and they auditioned me as the lead male vocalist for the group. We traveled all over LA and here I gained my confidence as a performer. I would go from singing Journey to Michael Jackson to Jay-Z to Bryan Adams, etc. The crowd would go nuts and it really fed my spirit. I knew that this is what I had to do for the rest of my life. I didn't make much money, but just enough to afford $500 a month bedroom rentals from strangers on Craigslist. I lived in random people's homes for years because it's all I could afford. People are crazy, let me just say that :lol:. In this time, I met a friend who became my production partner. It was like a Timbo/Missy type of deal. Over 3 years, we recorded like 70 songs in his bedroom. He produced them all, and I wrote them all and did all the vocals. His father would walk into the room and ask what we were doing. He was an engineer who used to work for Earth Wind and Fire. He was blown away by the music we were making, so he helped me mix/master my first album. It was called, "Fly...735" and it's available everywhere that you can get music. Pandora, TIDAL, Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

I've never wanted a record deal. I had a meeting with an A&R from Atlantic Records back in 09. He came to the studio to listen to my music and he told me straight to my face, "You are an incredible vocalist, and an even better songwriter. But you don't have the look and you are never going to sell any records." From that point on, I knew that the music industry was superficial and they didn't care anything about art. So from that point on, I've been on a personal crusade versus the industry. Versus my mother. Versus my stepfather. Versus my high school math teacher who told me I would never make American Idol or anything like it. Versus anyone who ever put me down and told me I was never going to be anything. It fueled my fire. Since I knew I didn't have the machine behind me, and that no one was going to care about my work without it...I just decided to work on my catalog and myself as a man instead. I didn't want them to be right. I would sit there in Hollywood and see all the homeless people each day and wonder to myself, "Damn, how many of them were ME...20 years ago?" I just wasn't willing to go out like that. I knew I was destined for much more.

So I fought. I lost 100lbs. I got my body right. I got my mind right. I had to learn to release all the hurt I had from my childhood and truly re-create myself...not whoever I was told I was going to be by other damaged individuals. I eventually found a job as a clerk at a lawfirm and then I moved on to work at a cruise line company...which financially helped me to get on my feet.

I recorded 1 album and 1 EP. I shot music videos. I had albums printed and I passed out my CD throughout the city for years. I've spent so much money on my art over the years, and never made a dime from it. Sacrifices.

Fastforward to now...10 years later. I just turned 29 in June. I quit my job on my birthday because I recently received the opportunity of a lifetime. I wrote several songs that were picked up on the soundtrack on an upcoming major film (2018 release). The film will be an international release. A lot of huge names on the soundtrack and I'm going to meet them all. I'm heading out to Atlanta to work on the soundtrack in a couple months. In addition to that...one of the songs selected is a "David Vines" solo record...which means I'll be making my international debut on the soundtrack of the film. And I still own my masters. And I still have no record deal...so I own myself. I'm going to use this exposure to launch my own imprint and once I have a name, I'll negotiate distribution with majors...because that's the only capacity I'm willing to work with them. They will NEVER own my name. I won't allow it.

It's so much more to this story man, but I tried to at least give you a snippet. This was long winded enough. One day, maybe it'll be a movie :lol:. It's my sole purpose in life to help others find the greatness that lies dormant within them, because the world is filled with naysayers who will tell you what you CAN'T do. One day, the whole world is going to know who I am, and inspiring the world to be more is my greatest aspiration in life.

Bottomline...logistics are important when you are considering a big move or when you are taking a huge risk in life. However...don't be bound by them. Persistence, patience, and a strong will...that's what will get you to the promised land.

I'm not quite there yet, but soon I will be. Anything is possible. Always remember that. Peace and love

Last edited:
:lol:, I too sometimes find myself asking why I'm not on Skid Row right now. I moved to LA because in all honesty, I was ready to not be on this Earth anymore. I never knew my father. My stepfather was abusive and my mother had made her choice...a new man over her kids. I was off at college completely miserable because of the state of my life. At that point I knew I had to make a decision. It was either stay here and watch myself slip away for good, or take a risk and try to push the reset button on my life somewhere else. I've always been a musician and music was my passion, so I decided it was either going to be ATL, NYC, or LA. I bought the ticket for LA. It was only $99 at the time. Flight 735 to LA. I was 19. The last thing my mother said to me before I left was, "You're never going to make it, you'll be back." So I had multiple sources of motivation...

I stayed in a hostel first. They would only allow guests for no more than 2 weeks, so I had to stay outside periodically until they allowed me back. I did this until my money ran out My grandmother was my guardian angel. She believed in me and she approved a loan for me to go to music school in Hollywood for 1 year. After I got out of school, it was rough. If you recall, 2008/09 is when the economy crashed and it was impossible to get a job. I had a 4.2 GPA in high school, I had 4 years of previous job experience, and I still couldn't get a job. I must have applied to at least 60 jobs and heard no from every one of them. I even tried to work at gas stations and they would just tell me "you're over qualified." The poverty was real. Top ramen was my savior. Hamburger Helper...just Helper tho lol. That was a treat. I couldn't go anywhere and do anything like normal people. No car, no money to go do anything. Not many friends. Just 4 walls.

Eventually, I found a Top 40/Classic Rock cover band in town and they auditioned me as the lead male vocalist for the group. We traveled all over LA and here I gained my confidence as a performer. I would go from singing Journey to Michael Jackson to Jay-Z to Bryan Adams, etc. The crowd would go nuts and it really fed my spirit. I knew that this is what I had to do for the rest of my life. I didn't make much money, but just enough to afford $500 a month bedroom rentals from strangers on Craigslist. I lived in random people's homes for years because it's all I could afford. People are crazy, let me just say that :lol:. In this time, I met a friend who became my production partner. It was like a Timbo/Missy type of deal. Over 3 years, we recorded like 70 songs in his bedroom. He produced them all, and I wrote them all and did all the vocals. His father would walk into the room and ask what we were doing. He was an engineer who used to work for Earth Wind and Fire. He was blown away by the music we were making, so he helped me mix/master my first album. It was called, "Fly...735" and it's available everywhere that you can get music. Pandora, TIDAL, Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

I've never wanted a record deal. I had a meeting with an A&R from Atlantic Records back in 09. He came to the studio to listen to my music and he told me straight to my face, "You are an incredible vocalist, and an even better songwriter. But you don't have the look and you are never going to sell any records." From that point on, I knew that the music industry was superficial and they didn't care anything about art. So from that point on, I've been on a personal crusade versus the industry. Versus my mother. Versus my stepfather. Versus my high school math teacher who told me I would never make American Idol or anything like it. Versus anyone who ever put me down and told me I was never going to be anything. It fueled my fire. Since I knew I didn't have the machine behind me, and that no one was going to care about my work without it...I just decided to work on my catalog and myself as a man instead. I didn't want them to be right. I would sit there in Hollywood and see all the homeless people each day and wonder to myself, "Damn, how many of them were ME...20 years ago?" I just wasn't willing to go out like that. I knew I was destined for much more.

So I fought. I lost 100lbs. I got my body right. I got my mind right. I had to learn to release all the hurt I had from my childhood and truly re-create myself...not whoever I was told I was going to be by other damaged individuals. I eventually found a job as a clerk at a lawfirm and then I moved on to work at a cruise line company...which financially helped me to get on my feet.

I recorded 1 album and 1 EP. I shot music videos. I had albums printed and I passed out my CD throughout the city for years. I've spent so much money on my art over the years, and never made a dime from it. Sacrifices.

Fastforward to now...10 years later. I just turned 29 in June. I quit my job on my birthday because I recently received the opportunity of a lifetime. I wrote several songs that were picked up on the soundtrack on an upcoming major film (2018 release). The film will be an international release. A lot of huge names on the soundtrack and I'm going to meet them all. I'm heading out to Atlanta to work on the soundtrack in a couple months. In addition to that...one of the songs selected is a "David Vines" solo record...which means I'll be making my international debut on the soundtrack of the film. And I still own my masters. And I still have no record deal...so I own myself. I'm going to use this exposure to launch my own imprint and once I have a name, I'll negotiate distribution with majors...because that's the only capacity I'm willing to work with them. They will NEVER own my name. I won't allow it.

It's so much more to this story man, but I tried to at least give you a snippet. This was long winded enough. One day, maybe it'll be a movie :lol:. It's my sole purpose in life to help others find the greatness that lies dormant within them, because the world is filled with naysayers who will tell you what you CAN'T do. One day, the whole world is going to know who I am, and inspiring the world to be more is my greatest aspiration in life.

Bottomline...logistics are important when you are considering a big move or when you are taking a huge risk in life. However...don't be bound by them. Persistence, patience, and a strong will...that's what will get you to the promised land.

I'm not quite there yet, but soon I will be. Anything is possible. Always remember that. Peace and love

Bro! I was on the edge of my seat just reading your brief life story! DEFINITELY can be a movie! I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you brother! Stay grinding! Keep us posted!

Make a thread or something bro! I'm sure there are others like me that will definitely be posted!

Life prepares you for your struggles.
When I was in GA when moms wouldn't cook I'd go to Walmart and get this 8 pk of chicken hotdogs for $1 and some $1 buns and get home and eat 4 hot dogs and be straight. So when I got out here and hit bottom I knew what was necessary to JUST MAKE IT

I definitely feel like growing up relatively poor has prepared me for the intermittent uncertainty of life. the things I can do with ramen, rice and tuna...the sheer quality of my home fries...the necessity of battery powered lights...opening a can with a knife...even knowing which items you can and can't skimp on (yes cheap cereal, no cheap tp.) all poverty survival techniques learned early in life.

at times I wonder how different a person I would be if I was born rich...the advantages are obvious, but what would I lose?

I thought about doing this, moving to Berlin. It would be 100% solo with no help. Never going to happen but would be the place for me haha. It's very hard to find a job over there and housing, would be a terrible idea with nothing lined up..I actually did have a guy say I could work as a server in this one restaurant when I visited Berlin, but I just didn't see it being good money and I wasn't really about it at all. Even though I've worked in the industry a lot..i really love it over there
Visited Berlin during my Eurotrip this summer. It was my understanding that their service workers are salaried. Not sure if it translates to an actual living wage but I know its a lot different than what we do in the US.

Tour guides make a ton of money. Did a couple free walking tours and of course they ask for tips at the end. They tell you how much paid tours cost (20-25 euros) to give you an idea of how much they "expect" you to tip. All my groups had at least 30 people. That's roughly 600 euros per tour (3 hours). Both of my guides said they live only off the tips from doing tours. I believe it.

Bro! I was on the edge of my seat just reading your brief life story! DEFINITELY can be a movie! I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you brother! Stay grinding! Keep us posted!

Make a thread or something bro! I'm sure there are others like me that will definitely be posted!

I really appreciate that brother. You know...I've been an NT'er since 2002 (formerly known as shoelova13). I've posted low quality clips of me singing since before the music forum even existed :lol:. I've made posts since I've become a legitimate artist too, but you know how it goes. No machine, no gimmicks, no budget. Nobody really cares until it's popular to care lol. It's all love though. All in due time...
I am currently working on a new album before I head to ATL. Just did a new record a few weeks ago with one of my favorite producers! You know him from his work on Reasonable Doubt :nerd:. I'll def post on NT when it's time for me to release my new stuff...

dmvisrnb dmvisrnb great story man. Wow!
I'm currently listening to your joint on Spotify. Good look in all your future endevours and make sure to shoutout us out when you hit the airwaves lol

Thanks for the support man! Truth be told, my production partner and I met on NT before I even moved to LA. I organized a 5th Anniversary Jay-z - Blueprint Mixtape back on the old NT with several of the dopest producers on NT at the time. He was one of the producers. Imagine my surprise when I move to LA and find out that he lives like 30 min away. So in a way, if it wasn't for NT, none of this even happens haha. So I'ma always have love for NT.

::tap tap pull::

Wow. Amazing read. Congrats man and keep working. Went to Apple Music soon as I read that part. Your music is soulful. Reminds me of the J Dilla, Dwele, Talib, Roots era of Hip Hop & R&B.

Glad I asked you to post more info.

Yeah that was a fascinating summary of some of your trials and tribulations dmvisrnb dmvisrnb

I look forward to someday reading the uncut version, or hearing about it via your craft. :nthat:

Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm horrible at being out of my comfort zone. I've pretty much been in the same spot my whole life. A move would probably be good for me.

Great stories in here. I've been through my share of issues, from losing everything in Katrina (my freshman year of college) to packing up my truck with everything I had and moving to Atlanta last year. Landed a good job, but recently got laid off along with many others. Back on the grind for another gig, but I have a great girlfriend who's supported me through all the tough times over the last couple of years. I'm lucky to have her.

I'm in HR btw, so if you know anybody... yep. :lol:

Stay up bros! The struggles make you a beast. :pimp:

I had to learn to release all the hurt I had from my childhood and truly re-create myself...not whoever I was told I was going to be by other damaged individuals

facts right here.

most people will discourage you from taking a leap of faith, mainly because they're too scared to try it themselves. don't listen to them.

I've been looking at the Tacoma area as a potential landing spot, but I'm very open to other places. I've considered Colorado, California and Arizona as well.

Any NTers from the NW?

Don't move to Tacoma fam. It's day n night compared to Seattle. Look for something in between I.e. Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Tukwila.

Don't move to Tacoma fam. It's day n night compared to Seattle. Look for something in between I.e. Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Tukwila.

Good to know. Seattle seems almost as expensive as the Boston area, that why I sort of veered my search towards Tacoma. Cost of living is more reasonable. I'll look into those areas you noted.

Was actually looking at Seattle too, cost of living everywhere on the west coast is absolutely ridiculous.

No way people in my age group can afford to live in the big west coast cities, I make 60K and they're all pretty much unaffordable.

Back
Top Bottom