Have you ever picked up and just moved away?

Was actually looking at Seattle too, cost of living everywhere on the west coast is absolutely ridiculous.

No way people in my age group can afford to live in the big west coast cities, I make 60K and they're all pretty much unaffordable.

I'm in the same boat. A few of my friends moved to San Diego. Such a dope city, but the COL :sick::sick:

Good to know. Seattle seems almost as expensive as the Boston area, that why I sort of veered my search towards Tacoma. Cost of living is more reasonable. I'll look into those areas you noted.

The cost of living in Seattle/Bellevue is equivalent to LA, it has gotten so expensive. Although Tacoma is way cheaper, there's a reason for that, no one wants to live there :lol:

Seattle is a great city with a thriving economy. Plenty of quality jobs available with Amazon, Google, etc. I just can't deal with the weather there now, spent my life in the rain, haha

Something about the rain is peaceful to me. One of The northwest's selling points for me. What's the deal with Tacoma though? :lol:

Wow. Amazing read. Congrats man and keep working. Went to Apple Music soon as I read that part. Your music is soulful. Reminds me of the J Dilla, Dwele, Talib, Roots era of Hip Hop & R&B.

Sheesh, I'm honored by that comparison haha thanks. But I think you're really gonna dig where I'm heading with my new work. Stay tuned
I'm horrible at being out of my comfort zone. I've pretty much been in the same spot my whole life. A move would probably be good for me.
It sounds as though you would be a prime candidate for a move man. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is the key to everything. You're more than capable...you just have to make a decision in terms of which way it is that you wish to step out of your comfort zone. And it's imperative that you commit yourself to it once you do.

I did this when I was 25. Prior, I didn't do well in high school but found my passion in college. I did not move completely out of state but I dropped everything to go work in SF.

I spent years in marketing after college. I felt like I was suffocating. I woke up one day and decided I didn't want to waste my time at a job I hated. I made a lot of money at my old job/career. Everyone told me I was crazy to leave but I wasn't interested. I knew I was destined for more and to be happy.

So I told my BF at the time (now husband), that I'm quitting everything and going to find a gig in SF. I had no leads, no prospects, not even a single interview setup.

I decided to clear my head. My then-BF had a work trip to O.C. in SoCal so I tagged along since I just quit my job so I had free time. While on vacation, I applied for jobs. I got a call back from one. Then I landed another phone interview, then an on-site interview.

On my big day to interview in SF, I had my suit with pin skirt. I wore my favorite blouse and my favorite nude heels. I crossed the famous Market Street in SF feelin' all Sex in the City like... until my heel got stuck in the manhole on the street and broke clean off! Ahh! I picked up my heel in oncoming traffic, stopped up a trolley car, then hopped to the CVS in front of me to buy super glue. I ended up getting an offer from that company two days later for the job. That company was called Huddler.

Huddler had a layoff then sold in 2014, then recently shut down late last 2016. I was let go a week after I finished my maternity leave with baby #2. Definitely had some really dark moments in the last few years.

Fast forward to 2017, I am married for almost 5 years, two boys who are turning 4 in a few days and a newly 1-year old. I started my own company, and I get to continue to work on one of my favorite (former) Huddler sites, NikeTalk.

I turn 33 in a few days. I learned that when you get comfortable, you don't grow. If you want to be somewhere, you gotta get up and head that way!

Never picked up and moved away suddenly, but I have thought about it. I could use a change of scenery. Probably not anything I would attempt at least in the near future since I'm getting good experience at my job.

There are a lot of cool stories in here, pretty inspirational stuff.

OP I had a coworker move out to Boulder, CO a few months ago and he loves it. He's the outdoorsy type and told me he goes hiking just about every day after work. He's sent some pics and the scenery and mountains out there are beautiful.

I left Houston a few times for oppourtunies that were instant pay offs than what I was currently doing. One was for a road trip job, and another was for a more stable gig. The only reason I made the moves is beacuse I had people there I could depend on if I didn't have a dollar to my name. I always get a chance to move when my hands are getting in to too many situations, so it's a blessing in disguise. Depending on what you you are really chasing it can benefit you. I make music and do production on the back end with setting up studios and systems so it allows me to network so I can find something to do either way in whatever city I'm in.

I also had talks with the mother of my children and my close family and friends about it. The most push back came from the people you literally spend the most time with working and grinding with because of the trust built but that's natural and shows you were loved, but if home not shaking then make a move. It took me a while to meet a lot of people from out of state to realize that you have to move around to get your name up and money up.

OP I had a coworker move out to Boulder, CO a few months ago and he loves it. He's the outdoorsy type and told me he goes hiking just about every day after work. He's sent some pics and the scenery and mountains out there are beautiful.

Interestingly enough a childhood friend of mine is moving there this fall. His current employer has an office there, and he's also super into snowboarding, hiking, camping, and all of that. I think dream is to open up an indoor snowboarding training facility.

I was thinking about asking him if he needed a roomie once he gets settled.

Interestingly enough a childhood friend of mine is moving there this fall. His current employer has an office there, and he's also super into snowboarding, hiking, camping, and all of that. I think dream is to open up an indoor snowboarding training facility.

I was thinking about asking him if he needed a roomie once he gets settled.

Yeah definitely hit him up about it. Even if you don't live with him initially I'm sure there are plenty of housing options since there's the university nearby. If you're from the city, it could be a nice change of pace without it feeling too remote. Denver's not far from there either.

Yeah like I said before, I'm definitely open to exploring different areas, but I'm leaning towards the western half of the states. CA, CO, WA, OR, AZ, NV.

Yeah like I said before, I'm definitely open to exploring different areas, but I'm leaning towards the western half of the states. CA, CO, WA, OR, AZ, NV.

My brother-in-law moved out to Denver from Oakland, CA. It's a pretty drastic change from what they're used to. I've seen photos of Denver on their social media profiles and it looks gorgeous!

Yeah my uncle took off from MA to Crested Butte when I was about 9 years old. Dude built himself a home, fished, skied and just chilled when he wasn't doing carpentry worke. Some people just belong there I feel like.

i want to do this but uproot and move to japan for at least a few years...that language barrier just wouldnt allow me to do it. been trying to learn tho.

as much as i love hawaii, dont see myself living there permanently. maybe retiring there one day, and living half the year there. i was lucky enough to spend my summers there, and after several months there were just things i wanted to do on the mainland.

i want to do this but uproot and move to japan for at least a few years...that language barrier just wouldnt allow me to do it. been trying to learn tho.

as much as i love hawaii, dont see myself living there permanently. maybe retiring there one day, and living half the year there. i was lucky enough to spend my summers there, and after several months there were just things i wanted to do on the mainland.

I guess it's proof that "the grass is always greener." Seems like 1/2 the people I talk to about moving always lead with Hawaii. :lol:

I guess it's proof that "the grass is always greener." Seems like 1/2 the people I talk to about moving always lead with Hawaii. :lol:
i love hawaii, dont get me wrong. the aloha spirit is real, island life (beaches, nature, etc.) is beautfiul, the ladies (you already know), the food - scrump, but just after awhile i always found myself wanting to get away. of course the withdrawals always hit me for weeks, when i return to the main land. hence prob why i wouldnt mind living there months at a time, given if i could afford it as cost of living there and travelling would be killer

Winter 2010 Got a blizzard in DMV I packed a uhaul and moved to South Beach within a week.
Lived there 5 years and was one of the best things i ever did for myself.
Of course I had the financial freedom to do so

Where did you move from? DC
Where did you move to? Greensburg, PA
Why? BBall Coaching
How did you go about planning ie. did you lock down a job and save X amount of dollars? I had already saved up $$$$ - While there, I worked in a kitchen
Do you think you made the right choice? Yea, I was only there for a year though

Did this from Minnesota to New York back in 2011. Still here.

Was working in Minnesota, got laid off from Wells Fargo, so I hopped it to NYC and started fresh. Didn't have a job but luckily I landed an interview my first few days and was working within 3 weeks. I found a cheap sublet for 3 months, so I wouldn't be screwed if I didn't find a job (just in case).

My tip would be to find a place to crash for free or for relatively cheap and have a good chunk of money saved up. I'd also recommend reaching out to some recruiters (which I didn't do) in your field of work BEFORE moving to make some connects.

Seattle
Portland
Denver
Southern Cal

All places I'm considering. Any input would be absolutely appreciated. Bear in mind I'm coming from the northeast (Boston).

Back
Top Bottom