HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

monday22,
as for your question about antennas, there is no such thing as an HD attenna, all antennas are the same so just get whichever one you think looks the best
they all work the same if u just want to get local HD channels
dont pay extra for an "HD" atenna, they just say that to trick u into paying more for it...a pair of bunny ears will get u the local HD channels

thanks for your help on my samsung 650...yeah i just want an antenna to watch local tv (and some in HD if possible)

i saw some tonight at best buy that range from $50 to $109 but then lookd online and saw these as well

http://www.bestbuy.com/si...nd+skuid&usc=abcat0100000

i really dont want to add anything on top of my tv (the tv is so pretty alone i dont want to distract from the screen too much)...so a flat one that is modernand nice on the eyes would be ideal...

again thank you for your comments/suggestions

TO: jrp44

I think either one of those TV's is ideal for the use that will be applied to it. I have seen the Toshiba in action, and i must say i was suprised. It hada very very good picture. If you are considering buying the service plan/warranty then i would definitely get the Toshiba through BBY. If you are notinterested in that, well, i dont know...the choice is yours. Sharp has dissappointed me as of lately with thier crappy TV's....thats just me.

TO: Oh YoU MaD

YES! Buy the warranty! its too cheap to pass it up.

TO: monday22

Those are exactly the antennas i was talking about. You cant go wrong aesthetically with any one of those. Use the link i put up there to determine whatpositioning will give you the better reception.

TO: aBKLYNthing

No. I'm definitely not against it from there per say, especially if its under $200. It it isnt then No. BBY's i believe is $249.99 and is worth everycent. Go into a store and check out the demo. Just make sure to break in your TV atleast 100hrs-200hrs before getting it Calibrated. They cells and panelsinside need to set themselves.

I just recently got this sharp aquos HDTV and fixing the picture is driving me nuts. The hd time warner box was hooked up when I wasn't home so I'mfiguring maybe it's the cable...the "hd channels" are only showing in 1080i, watching any non hd channel is a headache because I'm onlypaying attention to the graininess and the levels of black sticking on the screen till something passes over it...Some channels are still showing in 480i and720p and it is rapidly vexxing me. How do I fix this and get everything to show in 1080p? And will someone explain the purpose of hdmi cables to me?

Channels are only being transmitted in 720p/1080i for HD, therefore you wouldn't be able to get cable in 1080p. All your other channels that aren'tin HD will be transmitted in 480i.

Just because you have an HDTV doesn't mean everything will be in HD, sorry sir.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

I just recently got this sharp aquos HDTV and fixing the picture is driving me nuts. The hd time warner box was hooked up when I wasn't home so I'm figuring maybe it's the cable...the "hd channels" are only showing in 1080i, watching any non hd channel is a headache because I'm only paying attention to the graininess and the levels of black sticking on the screen till something passes over it...Some channels are still showing in 480i and 720p and it is rapidly vexxing me. How do I fix this and get everything to show in 1080p? And will someone explain the purpose of hdmi cables to me?

nobody is currently broadcasting in 1080p.

the graininess that you're experiencing is to be expected on non-HD channels. watching SD channels on an HD TV will always make them look much worse thanthey did.

HDMI cables allow you to run both your video and audio through 1 digital cable rather than using component video, plus a seperate digital audio cable.
many will say that HDMI is better than component, but they both transmit a digital signal. you can decide which you prefer.

i havent even bother to mess around with my tv every since i got it, its a little grainy on the HD channels but no biggie. Dont feel like messing up the tv.

Originally Posted by osubass1

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

I just recently got this sharp aquos HDTV and fixing the picture is driving me nuts. The hd time warner box was hooked up when I wasn't home so I'm figuring maybe it's the cable...the "hd channels" are only showing in 1080i, watching any non hd channel is a headache because I'm only paying attention to the graininess and the levels of black sticking on the screen till something passes over it...Some channels are still showing in 480i and 720p and it is rapidly vexxing me. How do I fix this and get everything to show in 1080p? And will someone explain the purpose of hdmi cables to me?

nobody is currently broadcasting in 1080p.

the graininess that you're experiencing is to be expected on non-HD channels. watching SD channels on an HD TV will always make them look much worse than they did.

HDMI cables allow you to run both your video and audio through 1 digital cable rather than using component video, plus a seperate digital audio cable.
many will say that HDMI is better than component, but they both transmit a digital signal. you can decide which you prefer.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just needed to be sure it wasn't a problem with the tv.

Just got the LN32A450 from Fry's for $499. My wall mount comes Tuesday. Going to go above the 46"
glasses.gif

5ds3lj.jpg

TO: aBKLYNthing

$149.99 for a calibration is a steal. I will investigate what thier calibration entails and will try to update whether the $149.99 is justified for thierlabor.

TO: Rudemiester

Get DirecTV of Dish Network if you want 1080p. [throw AT&T UVerse in here too] Dish offers it now in certain areas of the country and DirecTV will begin inthe next quarter. Both companies will be present in the CES show which will be exciting, they will explain more about thier business plan and venture into1080p. The reality is that even if TimeWarner did have '1080p' available, they do not have the equipment or lines to support it and send it to you endto end at a high rate. IF YOU WANT TO BE BLOWN AWAY CHECK OUT THIS YEARS CES SHOW AND YOU WILL BE BLOWN AWAY, all i have to say is remember the word"4K".
As far as HDMI is concerned. Well, you want to make sure to get a good one, but honestly alot of video quality gets lost within the TV. So you want to makesure to atleast buy a decent cable that can support 1080p resolution and [bandwidth]. Again, it is the only cable that can support both Video & Audiodigitally in one. So simplicity is the name of the game.

TO: The Minister

The price of the bracket you get will be determined by the functions of it. So if all you want is a tilting bracket, then you can easily find one at Walmart orBBY for $80-$130 for your 52" Samsung. You can find even cheaper ones if all you want it to do is be stationary. The expensive brackets will be the onesthat swivel and do all that jazz. Again, brackets are universal, the most important thing to remember is that you match wieight with the TV, i know some boxessay up to 42"-50", but you can easily use it for a 52" LCD---its all about the wieght. Amazon.com can be your friend for this too.

AGAIN, i advise people to watch the upcoming CES SHOW, for there will be alot of suprises from companies we thought were dead...e.g. Toshiba.....etc....alsocatch the AVN expo too
smile.gif

Originally Posted by aBKLYNthing

CC charges $149.99 for their calibration. anybody have a recommendation for calibration.
I've seen a CC calibration job before and hated it. The blacks were absolutely crushed to hell. That's just one story though, so Ican't speak for the whole company. Does CC tell you what calibration gear they use, certifications/work histories, etc?

Unrelated: I'm going to get an LG BH200 blu-ray/HD-DVD player tomorrow at Best Buy.

No Problem, aBKLYNthing. Ive been meaning to check out CC's calibration sales pitch anyway.

TO: mondayC

Nice! I cant believe they still have those at whatever location you are going to. Dont forget to eye the Sony S550, that bad boy is nice too---> 7.1 Audio,BD LIVE, 1G internal memory, etc.. FTW!

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Just got the LN32A450 from Fry's for $499. My wall mount comes Tuesday. Going to go above the 46"
glasses.gif

5ds3lj.jpg

Yo how is that samsung? Im thinkin about getting it for my room
Cant decide if I should buy that or a 1080p sony thats like 900
is the picture good? how is a blu ray movie look on it?

Back
Top Bottom