Help Me Get Buff NikeTalk S&T **1 MONTH COMPLETED** .... Vol. Come on in RyGuy, Mez, etc.

Originally Posted by Caerus

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Son, how have you NEVER lifted before in your life? Like how is that even possible that you've never touched a weight before in your 19-20 years of your life?

I swear I always thought you were some 40 year old dude though.
Word. Mind = Blown
But Lift, eat, Lift, eat, Lift, eat....SLEEP

Added.

also

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

This site hands down we be more helpful for you then NT. Im just saying.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Beware The Underdog

Originally Posted by Caerus

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Son, how have you NEVER lifted before in your life? Like how is that even possible that you've never touched a weight before in your 19-20 years of your life?

I swear I always thought you were some 40 year old dude though.
Word. Mind = Blown
But Lift, eat, Lift, eat, Lift, eat....SLEEP

Added.

also

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

This site hands down we be more helpful for you then NT. Im just saying.
grin.gif
wink.gif
Agree with sleep. I myself need MUCH more of that....but its hard man 
laugh.gif

& second Misc, that's where I go to for all my questions 

First thing first you gotta have the will power. Plenty of people want to start "getting buff" and they last about a week or two for various reasons. If you are serious and have short and long term goals then you are in great shape. Send me an e-mail for some thoughts JP.

I didnt see anyone else suggest this but def cut down on your running. If its something you enjoy doin I'd keep it to less than a couple miles at a time. Or just do some interval work

I'd do cardio a couple days a week. Lifting burns plenty if youre doin it consistently. Dont eliminate it from your routine tho its great for cardiovascular health, lungs etc

you dont really need supps yet imo. but if you wanna put on weight and strength quicker russian bear worked for me.
I'd like to use supplements right away though, what are the drawbacks to using them right away? And what is the russian bear? I know I could Google it, but whatever...
For protein "sups", I recommend Snickers protein bars
You think this is better or worse than a protein shake? For some reason I'd rather use the shake, but if the Snickers bar truly is quality, than maybe I'd go that way.
Along with that, I didnt take just a regular protein shake but I took a protein weight gainer to put on mass quicker and it really worked. Something like this
http://www.bodybuilding.c...asspeak.html?MCID=F-GOOG
I'll definitely look into this, thanks
smokin.gif

Find a routine that works for you, and make sure rest in between (don't do chest every other day, etc), and don't have a day such a chest and triceps together, you are over-working the triceps muscle in one day and its a very small muscle, have a day devoted to it (maybe a biceps and triceps day).....which is good to do as you can super set both and have a quicker workout.
Good tips, thanks man.
Send me an e-mail for some thoughts JP.
Will do.
I didnt see anyone else suggest this but def cut down on your running.
Yeah, should I completely cut out the running EVERY day and only do it once or twice a week or should I just cut down to a point where it's only 1-2 miles a day?

And I don't want to gain fat as well, ONLY muscle mass. I think that's what all of you are recommending, but I'm just making sure.

Because you've never lifted before, I suggest a full body workout. Do this 3 times per week: Workout A: squat, bench, deadlift. 3 sets with 5 reps. Take no more than 5 mins rest between sets. Workout B: Squats, standing barbell press (look up proper form on YouTube. Type in rippetoe press) and barbell rows. If you can find somebody to teach you how to do powercleans, then sub those in for the rows. Do workout B 3 sets, 5 reps each. Alternate workout A & B 3 times per week (Mon Wed Fri). So one week you're doing A two times out of 3 days and next week you're doing B for two days out of the three. Pick up Optimum Nutritions Whey Protein and drink 2 scoops mixed with water or lowfat milk within 45 mins after each workout.

As for moving up in weight, if you get all 15 reps, move the weight up 5-10 pounds in your next workout. If you stall down the road on consecutive (meaning if you can't get the 15 reps in consecutive workouts), drop 20 pounds and try it.again. START LIGHT. Meaning, on your first day go light. It's going to be really easy, but this workout is very difficult as you add the weight on. You gotta.build.up.gradually. start light. Don't do curls. Waste if time.and energy. If you absolutely have to work.your biceps, do close grip pullups (palms facing you). Go all the way down and all the way up. These work your biceps and back, which will help you on your deadlifts.

Now here is the most important part: EAT EAT EAT EAT. Take your weight and multiply by 20 and that's how many calories you need to consume daily. Focus on eggs, oats (if you don't like the taste get Quakers WEIGHT CONTROL oatmeal) grilled chicken breast (no wings, no drumsticks, not fried) grilled lean steak SOCKEYE salmon (don't get any other salmon) talapia,.Greek Yogurt (Chobani is delicious) and cottage cheese. Tuna is good too.

Now heres the 2nd most.important part: SLEEP SLEEP.SLEEP. Aim for 7-8 hours uninterrupted.

It won't happen overnight, but if you stick to this you'll be fine. Oh, and for the love of god, please look up the proper form for these exercises on YouTube. Type in rippetoe and then the name of the.exercise. the last thing you want to do is injure yourself due to.poor form cause then you have to stop for weeks,.sometimes.months, at a time. Have fun

For protein "sups", I recommend Snickers protein bars
You think this is better or worse than a protein shake? For some reason I'd rather use the shake, but if the Snickers bar truly is quality, than maybe I'd go that way.
Nah.  I was talking mainly taste.  You'll see what I mean.
laugh.gif

If you're a very serious lifter w/ a very serious diet, than this statement is correct:
Snickers protein bars are garbage full of bad sugars
If you're just a serious lifter w/ a somewhat serious diet (what you sound like), then they get the job done.  It tastes better than any sup I've tried.

The point is to eat/drink protein immediately after the workout to take full advantage.  Chocolate milk gets the job done if you want an alternative to sups.

I just don't trust bars in general too much, let alone one with a SNICKERS label (and looking at the nutritional value its not as bad as I thought it would be), but most of these bars are PACKED with so many sugars.
laugh.gif

Chocolate whey protein doesn't taste bad at all imo. Having protein following a workout is pretty important.

I'd cosign the link to body building forums. I got back into lifting last January after a couple year hiatus and I was able to build a workout off of reading their articles that aligned with my goals.

Anyone got a website for good protein prices? I'm almost out and want to get like a 10lb bag for a discounted price.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

I'm literally the same build and in the same situation.  Glad you made this thread 
laugh.gif

About to buy that 2 year membership for 24 hour fitness for 320.00 and get some personal training sessions to get my regiment down.

Complete waste IMO. The gym I go to gave me 5 different trainers due to them leaving for better jobs. They can stick you with whoever and your money is TRAPPED. I have seen the members here post some very good, DETAILED info. If we can get the right ones in here they can get you right.

Trainers
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

Good luck fam.

Yeah, at Costco you can get a 24 hour fitness membership to any Sport Club and you pay the 320 up front.  It's also good at ANY 24 hour fitness so even if you move or on the road you can get a work out in. 
As for the personal training sessions, they offer a deal for the first 3 sessions which is probably all I would do in order to make sure I'm doing the exercises correctly. I'm a noob in terms of lifting and I know that doing the exercises incorrectly can not only be a waste of time, but also a risk of injury.

Man listen I wanna know how the hell you guys can eat 6 meals a day? I've been looking into gaining weight but I hardly get to eat 3 full meals a day. How the he'll do you guys do it?

Originally Posted by throwback1718

Man listen I wanna know how the hell you guys can eat 6 meals a day? I've been looking into gaining weight but I hardly get to eat 3 full meals a day. How the he'll do you guys do it?

I'm like that too, there's no way I have the time to eat 6 meals a day.  I'm guessing some people walk around with snacks?  I've heard of people walking around with beef patties and other sources of protein to snack on in-between meals.  Not sure if that would supplement eating 6xs a day though.

I know you guys say not to get a personal trainer, so did you guys start working out with friends or just watching videos online?  I'm thinking of getting back on the p90x, but I have to figure out how to either get it on my ipod or memorize the exercises cuz I don't have any weights or room to workout in my apartment.

Just got back from my first day 
laugh.gif
.... went with a friend.

Was there for about 40 minutes (how long do you guys usually go for? I felt like I could have gone longer but my friend wanted to stop)

Did Free Weight Barbell Bench (I dunno if that's what you call it), the one where you put the barbell behind your back and lift it up above your head
laugh.gif
, the one where you extend your arms straight out and lift the barbells perpendicular to your shoulders, bicep curls, shoulder shrugs, abs with a medicine ball, etc. There were others, but what else should I add/minus?

I just drank a Muscle Milk Light Cafe Latte. Is that a good brand? Not that it really matters, I'm probably going to go with protein shakes.

1. How long should I lift for/how long are you guys in the weight room?
2. Workout gloves?

Any other tips are welcome. I'm going tomorrow again
pimp.gif

40 Minutes is ideal as long as the workout routine is dense. Cut the Muscle Milk and go with protein shakes instead.

1. Around an hour
2. You'll get calluses on your hands the more you lift

Tell us how you feel tomorrow 
laugh.gif

^ Will do. I'm going to stretch right now actually ha.

Why Protein Shakes over Muscle Milk? Just so I know.

I've always heard that Muscle Milk is horrible due to the contents of it. Doesn't really give all the benefits that other supplements give.

Back
Top Bottom