Help with Xbox Live and Xbox 360 update

When i try and play my Halo 2 game, as the 360 loads, a bar comes from the side comes up and says that my 360 needs an update on the harddrive. So I tryconnecting my 360 with a ethernet cable to my router and updating it but it wont let me. So i can't update, and without the update i can't play anygames because if i dont update, it takes me to the dashboard and won't load the game.
Also, i tried playing the game without the harddrive, that doesn't work because it says it requires a harddrive to play original xbox games. But then itried playing a 360 game without the harddrive, it loads just fine, and i can play it.
This all may seem confusing but yeah, any help please? How do i update my 360

You have to troubleshoot the router. If you want you can probably just directly wire the 360 to the modem. You may also HAVE to sign up for xbox live (albeit asilver membership) to update.

Hmm, oh yeah, i forgot to mention that im not an xbox live member, does that even matter? I need to be a member in order to update?

go to your dashboard and go under settings, then family settings, and then uh check the box that allows you to play originalxbox titles.

I went to family settings and i didnt see any box or anything that i could check to see if i could play original xbox games, all i see is "ConsoleControls" and "Xbox Live Controls"

You can download a file and burn to a CD-R and update the 360 that way. Let me find the link...

Here you go, try this... Link
By downloading this update, you agree to the software license and other related terms set forth in the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, located here. Save the update as BackCompat_11-2007.zip-it's about 13MB.

You will need to unzip the file to get the default.xex file out and put it at a location on your computer. If you are using Windows XP, you can simply open the zip file like you would a folder. If you are using an earlier version of Windows you will need a separate utility to open the zip file, like WinZip. Be sure the update is named default.xex

The update will not run automatically unless the file is named default.xex and is the only file on the disc (i.e., not in a folder or directory).

Create a DVD or CD
To create an update disc you need the following:
  • A DVD or CD burner.
  • A blank, writeable DVD or CD.
  • The update from Xbox.com.
These steps will cover burning the DVD or CD with Windows and the DVD or CD burning software that is part of the operating system. DVDs work better than CD-Rs, which in turn work better than CDRWs.

(For illustration, we're using a CD in a CD burner, but the same steps apply with a DVD in a DVD burner.)

Step 1: Place a blank disc in your burner. Select "Open Writable CD Folder Using Windows Explorer" or just open the CD drive icon from Explorer.

If you choose to use third-party CD/DVD writing software then please follow the instructions for that software in creating a data disc with just the update on the disc.

Step 2: Drag default.xex to the CD Folder. If the CD write window doesn't open by default please drag and drop default.xex on the CD/DVD RW drive.

ilmburnCD.jpg

Step 3: Click "Write files to CD" from the CD writing tasks in the Explorer window or select Write these files to CD from the CD/DVD RW drive right mouse click menu.

Step 4: Go through the CD wizard. The first step is to add a label to the CD; the default of the date is fine.

ilmcdWiz1.jpg

Step 5: The CD wizard will create the CD. Wait until the CD is ejected.

ilmcdWiz2.jpg

Step 6: Remove the CD from the drive-you have created the CD.

ilmcdWiz3.jpg

Update the Console
Update the backward compatibility program as well as the operating system software in your Xbox 360 console.

Step 1: Place the CD in the Xbox 360 console.

ilmapplyUpdate.jpg

Step 2: The update program will start automatically. Select "Continue" to apply the update.

ilmapplyingUpdate.jpg

Step 3: Wait for the update to complete.

Step 4: Your system needs to have the operating system software updated. Select "Yes, update now" and press the A button.

ilmUpdateFlash.jpg

Step 5: The console will reboot and you're done. Insert your original Xbox games and enjoy!

Order a Disc
You can also order a disc from Xbox.com. There will be a nominal fee charged for this disc and shipping and handling.

The Original Xbox Game

Order the Original Xbox Games Support CD -- COMING SOON

When you receive the disc, follow the steps below to update your console. You will update the backward compatibility program as well as the operating system software on the console in this step.

By installing this update, you agree to the software license and other related terms set forth in the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, located here.

Step 1: Place the CD in the console.

ilmapplyUpdate.jpg

Step 2: The update program will start automatically. Select "Continue" to apply the update.

ilmapplyingUpdate.jpg

Step 3: Wait for the update to complete.

Step 4: Your system needs to have the operating system software updated. Select "Yes, update now" and press the A button.

ilmUpdateRequiredSelectUpdate.jpg

Step 5: The console will reboot and you're done. Insert your original Xbox games and enjoy!

Just sign up for XBL Silver.

You don't need to go Gold if you don't want to.

Besides, if you just bought the 360 you should get 1 free month of Gold.

^Did that, but when i try and update, the same screen from the side pops in, and wont even let the disc load. So then i end up being back at the dashboard. Ialso tried updating the 360 with the disc without the harddrive, but of course that didn't work because it said it required a harddrive to update to. Sowhat else can i do?

^
That's weird.

Have you tried running a test connection?

Also, when you plug in your ethernet cable is it via modem?

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

^Did that, but when i try and update, the same screen from the side pops in, and wont even let the disc load. So then i end up being back at the dashboard. I also tried updating the 360 with the disc without the harddrive, but of course that didn't work because it said it required a harddrive to update to. So what else can i do?

Maybe something's wrong with the Xbox? It should work... Damn.

So i'm pretty much required to sign up for xbox live? Is this how xbox get's their moneysworth, forcing people to join xbox live
ohwell.gif
. Also, i got my 360 a few months ago from my uncle, didn't have originalpackaging or anything.

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

^
That's weird.

Have you tried running a test connection?

Also, when you plug in your ethernet cable is it via modem?

I tried running the "Test Media Connection" and im connected just fine, but then i try the "Test Xbox Live Connection" And of course itfails because i don't even have xbox live. Also, the ethernet cable is plugged into a router

The same thing always happens with my copy of MVP Baseball 2005. It just wont update when I start up the game.
frown.gif

I haven't tried burning an update to a CD-R yet, though.

Well, here's what comes from the side. Sorry for the crappy pic, i really didn't feel like typing all of what it said.
72qguhk.jpg

no clue, usually you just select yes and your good to go.

ANYWAYS, why are you playing Halo 2???? There is COD4 Halo 3 and all sorts of new games... just wondering.

I don't play much games, only whenever my friends feel like it, it just gives me somethin to do. So i dont really buy games all too often, and we play halo2 because we have 2 copies so we system link

there should be something in the dashboard that says join xbox live, maybe in the market place? if you go through the membership registration and stuff andclick that you just want a silver membership, they'll usually give you a free month of xbox live gold access anyways. regardless, XBL silver is free andyou definitely should be able to update with a silver account -- who knows

Here is what happens when i try and sign up for xbox live. The thing that doesn't make sense is it says im trying to connect to xbox live, how can iconnection if im not even signed up yet, this doesnt make sense.

6jlapn9.jpg

6wpvocy.jpg

6jlvlt1.jpg

7yq68uh.jpg

6tlwg1z.jpg

6q25yro.jpg

Xbox live has been having problems as of late.

I was trying to recover my gamertag on my friend's 360 so we could play some of my arcade games and we had problems recovering the full gamertag.

When I got home, I recovered my gamertag again for my 360 and everything went smoothly.

the ethernet cable is plugged into a router
This may actually be your problem 360 is connected via ethernet cable from a router also. Sometimes I'll get that error, but all I had to wasupdate the firmware on the router and reset it whenever it errors out.

Try plugging directly from the modem/ethernet cable to your 360 instead of the router.

Back
Top Bottom