Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm trying to find more info. It's not clear to me what evidence this "perspective" is basing their claim that masks provide only marginal benefit.

Oh, this clarifies it, from the same authors a few weeks later:

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4
We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.

I feel like this is appropriate for those authors (h/t aepps20 aepps20 for the video)

I'm trying to find more info. It's not clear to me what evidence this "perspective" is basing their claim that masks provide only marginal benefit.

Oh, this clarifies it, from the same authors a few weeks later:

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4
We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.

I feel like this is appropriate for those authors (h/t aepps20 aepps20 for the video)

Well said famb. Video of IDIOTS that listen to these clowns after they get the Rona.

I guess preliminary convos are being had about approach to opening offices again (in DC - well at least the agency I support). Unit Director said first phase is getting personnel back onsite that want to be there (honestly wouldn’t mind going back).

The assumption most will fall into phase 3 (meaning health/logistical/obligational reasons for not being on site) which will probably be closer to or even after the new year (but no hard dates given).

I guess preliminary convos are being had about approach to opening offices again (in DC - well at least the agency I support). Unit Director said first phase is getting personnel back onsite that want to be there (honestly wouldn’t mind going back).

The assumption most will fall into phase 3 (meaning health/logistical/obligational reasons for not being on site) which will probably be closer to or even after the new year (but no hard dates given).

i work for the federal government too and our agency is using the same approach. Phase 1 is voluntary and with permission (we go onsite for audits).

(Cont.)

[/media]

Still the craziest part of this virus is just how differently each individual experiences is. One person experiences mild flu symptoms, the next is on a ventilator for weeks and comes back with lung scarring and asthma, the next never has symptoms at all.

Symptoms: everything
Side affects: anything
Long term affect: who knows?

And no one knows why or how. We’re all experiencing the learning process together in real time. What was true yesterday is wrong today and updated tomorrow. It’s wild man.

Still, I wonder if some of these differences in side affects and symptoms has to do with an individuals health status or prior conditions? Like you have lung scarring because maybe you had COPD and COVID made it worse.

Went for a walk and saw a group of 3 young adults, none wearing masks, and one of them coughing every few seconds and nobody skipping a beat.

It's been 3 months and people still haven't learned a ****ing thing.

I'm guessing those 2 are in isolation for a couple weeks?

tenor.gif

Still, I wonder if some of these differences in side affects and symptoms has to do with an individuals health status or prior conditions? Like you have lung scarring because maybe you had COPD and COVID made it worse.
That's likely. The problem is that a lot of people may not be aware of some underlying health conditions. It's like cardiomyopathy in a young athlete leading to sudden death.

There's a couple potentially interesting things going on with the numbers. The premise is that we are testing more widely now. Before, you had to be sick and in the hospital to get a test, but now you can get a test more easily, such as when you first feel sick. This can have two effects.

First, because people are getting tested relatively earlier in their disease course, it's likely that the lag between detected cases and eventual deaths will be wider than it was in March and April. In March and April, the lag was about 1 week, probably because people were already being admitted to the ICU by the time they got their test results. But now if people are getting tested at the onset of symptoms, the lag may be 2 weeks instead.

Second, the gap between the number of reported cases and the true number of cases is closing:

early April: 2k deaths out of 30k cases out of 150k tests. estimate: 200k-300k real infections
early June: 750 deaths out of 20k cases out of 450k tests. estimate: 75k-100k real infections

So we've gone from detecting 1 out of 10 cases to 1 out of 5. But this is over the course of 2 to months. All these states experiencing doubling or tripling of cases in the past 2 weeks are likely seeing a a true doubling in their infection rate. You could argue that the infections are concentrated in younger people, but the data hasn't really supported that strategy working. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks with deaths.

There's a couple potentially interesting things going on with the numbers. The premise is that we are testing more widely now. Before, you had to be sick and in the hospital to get a test, but now you can get a test more easily, such as when you first feel sick. This can have two effects.

First, because people are getting tested relatively earlier in their disease course, it's likely that the lag between detected cases and eventual deaths will be wider than it was in March and April. In March and April, the lag was about 1 week, probably because people were already being admitted to the ICU by the time they got their test results. But now if people are getting tested at the onset of symptoms, the lag may be 2 weeks instead.

Second, the gap between the number of reported cases and the true number of cases is closing:

early April: 2k deaths out of 30k cases out of 150k tests. estimate: 200k-300k real infections
early June: 750 deaths out of 20k cases out of 450k tests. estimate: 75k-100k real infections

So we've gone from detecting 1 out of 10 cases to 1 out of 5. But this is over the course of 2 to months. All these states experiencing doubling or tripling of cases in the past 2 weeks are likely seeing a a true doubling in their infection rate. You could argue that the infections are concentrated in younger people, but the data hasn't really supported that strategy working. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks with deaths.

You're always Spot On.
Meth should make you OP of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom