Hip-Hop Dethrones Rock as the Most Consumed Music Genre in the U.S.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...st-consumed-music-genre-u-s-article-1.3336085

Crazy to think that just two decades ago it was a budding movement and it's now the preferred genre of a nation of 325 million people. At this point it's become the music of this country, whether people like it or not. I believe it would have been even earlier if technology had existed to give access to it back then. For almost 15 years it was considered taboo to play at most functions and only select radio stations would give any airtime.

One time for everyone involved in pioneering this ****

Explains why quality is trash and all races feel included.

I read a few weeks ago that Rap is the most streamed genre. People still buying the other genres but not rap. Smh

Blacks started both. One got jacked by us, the other hi jacked by corporations ( the web is just started to level things). We got just got too much style, man.

Closer to three.
True, I was thinking commercial Bad boy/Death Row era as the transition to mainstream but you can argue it went mainstream even earlier than that with NWA Wu-Tang etc.

The question is what's next? I feel like things have already peaked considering the amount of sub genres spawned under hiphop. The alternative R&B scene has been buzzing for a while(Weekend/PND/Tiller), and mumble rap is already matured.

True, I was thinking commercial Bad boy/Death Row era as the transition to mainstream but you can argue it went mainstream even earlier than that with NWA Wu-Tang etc.

The question is what's next? I feel like things have already peaked considering the amount of sub genres spawned under hiphop. The alternative R&B scene has been buzzing for a while(Weekend/PND/Tiller), and mumble rap is already matured.

rap subgenres individually becoming bigger and bigger

you gonna have stars in real/lyrical hip hop, trap, mumble rap, etc.

but the fans have to allow the genres to legitimately be broken up and not always try to make it seem like what the uzis and yachtys and thugs do is so beneath kendrick and cole and such

allow them to really be two separate things

btw did this not happen in mid 2010's? culture wise it was probably the mid-late 2000's but numbers wise i cant remember a new rock act that was popping since like late 2000's? panic at the disco? maroon 5 lol?

what rock acts are even still out there

or do they count the streaming of classic artists

Last edited:
I don't know that hip hop JUST became the most consumed genre. Hip Hop has definitely been the most influential genre for a good 20-22 years now. Every piece of Hip hop has been copied by people of other races since the mid 90's. The slang, the fashion, etc.

Hahahahahahaha

This has been a great year bruh. lol

Don't let the new trash cloud your mind

btw did this not happen in mid 2010's?

what rock acts are even still out there

or do they count the streaming of classic artists

That's what I'm saying. I was in high school from 02-06 and every race group was talking about 50, Jay, TI, Wayne, Kanye.

Rarely heard any Rock music discussions.

I don't know that hip hop JUST became the most consumed genre. Hip Hop has definitely been the most influential genre for a good 20-22 years now. Every piece of Hip hop has been copied by people of other races since the mid 90's. The slang, the fashion, etc.

This has been a great year bruh. lol

Don't let the new trash cloud your mind

Enlighten me. Please share all of these great projects.

Enlighten me. Please share all of these great projects.

QbadP.png

You like the mad rapper of NT so i know you won't agree but

Ross
Gibbs
Kendrick
2Chainz
Migos
Jay
Future

All dropped good/great projects this year

Maybe now we'll start seeing rap at sporting events instead or Coldplay John Legend and whoever.

2017 has definitely been a great year. The genre is recovering from the late 2000s - and about 2012-2013

You like the mad rapper of NT so i know you won't agree but

Ross
Gibbs
Kendrick
2Chainz
Migos
Jay
Future

All dropped good/great projects this year

I don't listen to Ross, never been a fan
I don't listen to Gibbs, I need to one day. Always hear good **** about him
Kendrick, agreed
2Chainz no thanks
Migos no thanks
Jay, agreed
Future no thanks

Here's my list. Kendrick, Jay, Big Boi, Banner and Gucci. That's five. I downloaded Vince Staples but haven't played it yet.

I got 5, you got 7. I don't feel like that's PLENTY of good music or a great year for hip hop. Seven years ago you were getting double that and better quality.

Maybe now we'll start seeing rap at sporting events instead or Coldplay John Legend and whoever.

I feel like it will get there but it'll be the most commercial and safest rap.

It would be nice if more than Flo-Rida, Pitbull, and Nicki were the go-to performers for rap

I don't listen to Ross, never been a fan
I don't listen to Gibbs, I need to one day. Always hear good **** about him
Kendrick, agreed
2Chainz no thanks
Migos no thanks
Jay, agreed
Future no thanks

Here's my list. Kendrick, Jay, Big Boi, Banner and Gucci. That's five. I downloaded Vince Staples but haven't played it yet.

I got 5, you got 7. I don't feel like that's PLENTY of good music or a great year for hip hop. Seven years ago you were getting double that and better quality.

I feel like it will get there but it'll be the most commercial and safest rap.

Surprised you listen to Gucci.

Man if there were 5 solid projects in one year back in the day that was a spectacular year. These days there's just too much music and so if we don't get 30 mind blowing projects people call it a bad year. This year has actually been pretty damn solid for hip-hop projects.

Back
Top Bottom