Hollywood actors, CEOs charged in nationwide college admissions cheating scam

You never know with admissions cuz its so far gone from making sense at this point :lol:, just gotta put yourself in the best position thru high school n hope for the best.

N thats a bet, if im in the area ima slide thru see whats up wit yall DC cats

YES, THIS IS MY POINT! My man was looking at the avg gpa and implying if you’re above that you automatically get in. It’s not like that these days.

YES, THIS IS MY POINT! My man was looking at the avg gpa and implying if you’re above that you automatically get in. It’s not like that these days.
But I think we can all agree that these kids involved weren't doing themselves any favors thru the admission process...the parents tried to make it up by scamming on the back end :lol: :smh:

But I think we can all agree that these kids involved weren't doing themselves any favors thru the admission process...the parents tried to make it up by scamming on the back end :lol: :smh:

Yeah this scandal is a different animal. Like I said earlier, my close Hs friend got into SC with a 2.4. I have so many Yale stories I could write a book.

That's anywhere though. I didn't get into some schools I should've easily gotten into (on paper)

Google search:

The average high school GPA of the admitted freshman class at University of Southern California was 3.73 on the 4.0 scale indicating that primarily A- students are accepted and ultimately attend.

3.73 is not a difficult GPA to get in high school
For Honors and AP students? Where?

Of course, but am I wrong for thinking that someone who has had access to every advantage on earth to get into a school is an embarrassment for needing an additional 500K and fake athletic history to get in because the peak of her Intelligence is "I don't care about education, I want to go for, like, the tailgates"?

There was a failure in parenting if that's the mentality and intelligence she had while applying for universities

Must be nice to have no expectations from your parents while they're shelling out 50K+ a year for you to attend top college prep schools

No matter what a parent does, whether wealthy, middle class, or poor, you have no clear and concise knowledge of the ultimate outcome. Tons of kids who play quarterback in high school have personal trainers which their parents pay top dollar for (see Christian Hackenberg). But, the odds of that child becoming an NFL quarterback are low. There are only 32 of those jobs on earth. Imagine 1,000 kids across America, having personal trainers/QB coaches. No matter what, it doesn’t guarantee a professional football career.

The problem is most parents don’t teach their kids about a FALLBACK plan. It’s a numbers game. I matter what. These celebrity parents went through all these loopholes to try and circumvent the system when even if not being caught, their kids just were not that intelligent, obviously. Either way, let’s say they eventually graduated, they still probably would’ve been lackluster in what ever career endeavor they embarked upon.

Eventually you have to stand on your own two feet because your parents may not always be able to help you. Nepotism does work to an extent. However, either the kid will be a success or mediocre. There’s no middle ground

Exactly. Most parents who are heavily involved in their child’s life wants the best for them. But we all know there are other factors

Precisely. Parents gave me everything I needed but didn’t give me my desire to grind and give 110%. Some of these kids could be given 100M and lose it quickly.

i never once intimated that USC was comparable to a community college. i just didn’t know it was a school that is SO prestigious that people would drop a fortune just to buy their way in. yale or harvard, yes...but USC? my view might be skewed because pretty much all graduating students from my high school go on to 4 year colleges. 11% admission rate is pretty tough though. these parents shoulda used their money on private tutors and motivational life coaches instead of photoshoppers but i guess these kids are entitled dummies to begin with.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/15/stude...-georgetown-for-not-realizing-he-was-a-fraud/

This is gangsta gangsta :rofl:

He may not play tennis, but he’s got plenty of balls.

A Georgetown student whose dad paid $400,000 to get his son into the elite college as a sham tennis recruit is suing the university for planning to oust him — saying they should have known he was a fake.

Adam Semprevivo says he wasn’t part of the shady deal, for which his dad has pleaded guilty and faces jail time, and put the blame squarely on college officials who failed to catch his bogus application.

“Despite the fact that these misrepresentations could have been easily verified and debunked before Georgetown formally admitted Semprevivo in April 2016, no one at Georgetown did so,” reads the lawsuit filed Wednesday in DC federal court.

The student also points out the records he provided to the school show his athletic experience was far from the tennis
“In fact, Semprevivo’s high-school transcripts, on their face, reflect that Semprevivo’s athletic endeavor of choice was basketball and that he received credit for his participation on the basketball team.”

The university promptly announced its intention to expel him hours after the suit was filed.

Adam’s dad, Los Angeles executive Stephen Semprevivo, pleaded guilty last week to paying scam mastermind William “Rick” Singer $400,000 to nab his son a spot as an all-star tennis recruit — even though the kid wouldn’t recognize a forehand smash if it hit him in the head.

The younger Semprevivo claims he had no idea his acceptance was finagled by his dad, one of the dozens of deep-pocketed parents — including “Full House” actress Lori Loughlin and
“For the 2018 and 2019 school years, tuition payments for Semprevivo of over $100,000 (and a total of over $200,000 was submitted since admission) were made to, and accepted by, Georgetown.”

Adam, who’s maintained a 3.18 grade-point average, offered to “resolve the matter” in an April 15 letter if Georgetown agreed to allow him to withdraw with no black marks on his transcript and transfer his full credits to a new school, the complaint said.

But the university sent him a letter Tuesday saying he was prohibited from withdrawing, prompting him to sue.

Georgetown spokeswoman Meghan Dubyak said the university wasn’t made aware of Ernst’s alleged involvement in the scam until it was contacted this year by the US Attorney’s Office.

Former Stanford sailing coach gets one day in prison in college cheating scandal - NBC News

Wow this dude got 1 day in jail for this.

one count of racketeering conspiracy for accepting $770,000 in brides on behalf of the school's sailing program.
U.S. District Court Judge Rya W. Zobe sided with defense lawyers who said their client should not get more than the one day, which the judge dismissed as time served. The government had asked the judge to sentence Vandemoer to 13 months in prison.

“Vandemoer accepted three separate bribes of $500,000, $110,000 and $160,000 between fall 2016 and October 2018”

Son basically served the same amount of time as someone who got in a bar fight. I thought they were gonna make an example outta these criminal thugs?

WHO WANTS TO BET ME, this the 1st person to get 1-5 years? BET

2C889969-E576-422D-9776-A1FCE6F493D7.jpeg

For those interested, a new season of American Greed (on MSNBC) starts on August 12th and the opener will be an hour special on the college admissions scandal. Not sure how many of you have seen this show but they do a good job going into all sorts of injustice, corruption and scandals with many guest interviews so this should be good. Just giving you the heads up to mark your calendars now but I will re-up this again on the day of.

Could be a scam but it's legal tho.

Some people with money know their way around the rules
They're doing it to hide assets which makes it a scam. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to hide assets to be eligible for government assistance. A lot of hasidic Jews just went down for this regarding Medicaid and food stamp benefits.

I read recently of rich parents giving others guardianship of their children so they qualify for more government grants and loans they would otherwise be ineligible to receive. Rich people are scammier than poor people smh

Could be a scam but it's legal tho.

Some people with money know their way around the rules

This. The thing is, when you’re rich you probably have a fantastic accountant and financial advisor that knows of unorthodox ways for you to keep that wealth. Like a bouncer told me the first time I went to NYC after graduating college and we were getting bottle service “You gotta know the rules to break ‘em”. I’ll never forget that quote and it’s the reason I study the tax code and my company’s compensation structure so in depth.

They're doing it to hide assets which makes it a scam. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to hide assets to be eligible for government assistance. A lot of hasidic Jews just went down for this regarding Medicaid and food stamp benefits.
Well, no. In this circumstance and where it's happening in Illinois, it's legal. Unethical, but legal. The parents aren't getting assistance, the child is so the parents have nothing to hide because legally the child isn't in their care anymore.

Well, no. In this circumstance and where it's happening in Illinois, it's legal. Unethical, but legal. The parents aren't getting assistance, the child is so the parents have nothing to hide because legally the child isn't in their care anymore.
You know damn well the parents are getting assistance because they're saving 40k a year they are capable of paying and would have to if they didnt lie in court stating the guardian is able to provide better care than the parents. Hopefully the light being shined on it closes the loophole in the law that says this is legal. In some of the documented cases the children remained in their parents care despite "legally" being in guardianship of someone else.

You know damn well the parents are getting assistance because they're saving 40k a year they are capable of paying and would have to if they didnt lie in court stating the guardian is able to provide better care than the parents. Hopefully the light being shined on it closes the loophole in the law that says this is legal. In some of the documented cases the children remained in their parents care despite "legally" being in guardianship of someone else.

Guardians were definitely getting a couple racks too

For those interested, a new season of American Greed (on MSNBC) starts on August 12th and the opener will be an hour special on the college admissions scandal. Not sure how many of you have seen this show but they do a good job going into all sorts of injustice, corruption and scandals with many guest interviews so this should be good. Just giving you the heads up to mark your calendars now but I will re-up this again on the day of.

REMINDER - The American Greed on this topic comes on at 10PM tonight on MSNBC. My body is ready.

Back
Top Bottom