Holmes fined $10K for TD celebration

PITTSBURGH -- Santonio Holmes' last-minutetouchdown catch won the Super Bowl for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Itcost him 10 grand, too.

The NFL fined Holmes $10,000 for using the football as a prop during his post-catch celebration, which came well after the play ended. Holmes, impersonatingNBA star LeBron James' pregame ritual of tossing powder into the air, shook the football and tossed it after his 6-yard scoring catch with 35 secondssealed Pittsburgh's 27-23 victory.

The Steelers were not penalized for excessive celebration, apparently because the officials were getting ready for the point-after attempt and did not seeHolmes' display in the corner of the end zone.

Two weeks ago, NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said the celebration should have drawn a 15-yard penalty on the following kickoff. Suchpenalties result in an automatic $10,000 fine.

However, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said before the Pro Bowl that the NFL competition committee may consider making such celebrations legal if theyoccur long after a play ends.

"As you know, part of this rule is to avoid having a reaction from opposing players and, from what I could see, only seeing it once, it didn't seemlike it was anywhere near that," Goodell said.

Holmes auctioned off the gloves he wore during the catch for $70,200, but that money will be donated to charity.

The NFL Network first reported the Holmes fine

laugh.gif

like anybody even cares..

This isn't even fair.

How do you fine a guy 3 Weeks after the SB? He made arguably one of the best catches in SB history and he can't celebrate?!

No Fun League.

Originally Posted by JoRDaN201

He made arguably one of the best catches in SB history and he can't celebrate?!
i don't agree with Santonio getting fined... but my dude is definitely not excused from the rules just because he made a nice catch.

he should have been flagged.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by JoRDaN201

He made arguably one of the best catches in SB history and he can't celebrate?!
i don't agree with Santonio getting fined... but my dude is definitely not excused from the rules just because he made a nice catch.

he should have been flagged.
No, you're right. He's not excused from the rules for making a nice catch, BUT, why not just flag him instead of a $10K fine 3 WEEKSlater?!

Godell said he is reviewing to make these celebrations "legal". Whatever, Santonio just sold the gloves he wore for 75K. Go Steelers. Six Burgh!

Back
Top Bottom