Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Is it common that the loan company makes you take a “First Time Homeowners Course”?

I’m set to close on the 23rd. I’ll give more details once i get on a computer and can type the process.
It’s not unusual
We didn’t have to do it
But a friend of mine did

Anybody familiar with applying for building/renovation permits?

I am applying for an "Addition Alteration Repair Permit" with DC but I am wondering If I need an engineer or an architect to complete the application.

I am trying to submit the application online but I can't bypass that section.

(I sent that email to the city but no telling how long they will take to respond.)

Anybody familiar with applying for building/renovation permits?

I am applying for an "Addition Alteration Repair Permit" with DC but I am wondering If I need an engineer or an architect to complete the application.

I am trying to submit the application online but I can't bypass that section.

(I sent that email to the city but no telling how long they will take to respond.)
Im in the same boat (Pentworth), what exactly are you trying to do?

Im in the same boat (Pentworth), what exactly are you trying to do?
Full renovation.

COnverting to Central Heat (Already have Central Air); Getting Rid of these radiators.

Tankless water heaters.

Downsizing a full bath

Basic carpentry work.

I called them and they said I needed to have an an engineer/architect to move forward.

Cool. I have someone that was referred to me.

What are you looking to do?

Full renovation.

COnverting to Central Heat (Already have Central Air); Getting Rid of these radiators.

Tankless water heaters.

Downsizing a full bath

Basic carpentry work.

I called them and they said I needed to have an an engineer/architect to move forward.

Cool. I have someone that was referred to me.

What are you looking to do?
Im building a deck. DC permitting office is closed and everything needs to be submitted online. I’ve talked to many builders and the permitting office is the issue and it’s reflected in the price.

You should be able to get that done with a postcard permit?

We finished (sans planting) our front yard project last week ahead of the 4th which allowed us to actually relax and BBQ.

Done 1.jpg Done 2.jpg
Looks great! You using the Toja Grid ties? Was thinking about those, when I redesign our backyard pergola.

Also you make those concrete step pads?

Looks great! You using the Toja Grid ties? Was thinking about those, when I redesign our backyard pergola.

Also you make those concrete step pads?

Thanks! All in, the project took about 2 mo's. The Toja system is great. Contemplating a pergola for our backyard deck too because they're so great/easy to use, plus 20% off (they were 30% off a couple days ago).

The steps are actually a porcelain tile, 3/4 inch thick or so and weren't bad to lay. Each was about 38 pound but we liked it because it has a great finish and looks like concrete. We were originally contemplating something that weighed like 98 pounds which would have been a nightmare.

Thanks! All in, the project took about 2 mo's. The Toja system is great. Contemplating a pergola for our backyard deck too because they're so great/easy to use, plus 20% off (they were 30% off a couple days ago).

The steps are actually a porcelain tile, 3/4 inch thick or so and weren't bad to lay. Each was about 38 pound but we liked it because it has a great finish and looks like concrete. We were originally contemplating something that weighed like 98 pounds which would have been a nightmare.
Ah gotcha. I did see that 30% off sale but for some reason didnt pull the trigger. I may wait for another sale closer to the 30.

I didnt think to use tile! We did concrete steps for a walkway we made, but could not find the concrete square slabs we wanted without having to special order or make them.

Buying a house for myself in Cali. Tough bro’s. Preapporve for up to 400k so it’s more getting a condo or townhouse. I’m in the valley. I hope to get a dope townhome. In sylmar area.

Ah gotcha. I did see that 30% off sale but for some reason didnt pull the trigger. I may wait for another sale closer to the 30.

I didnt think to use tile! We did concrete steps for a walkway we made, but could not find the concrete square slabs we wanted without having to special order or make them.

It took a while before we settled on the tile to be honest. Concrete was our original plan given the look. We did our backyard last year - though we hired someone - and our original design called for big concrete squares that we would have had to pour ourselves w/ a grass boarder in between. But with little kids and a dog, we scrapped it and went to a dedicated grass area with a paver boarder and pavers over the rest of the patio leading to the deck. Love the look but just wasn't practical.

Keep an eye on Toja's site - they have sales often enough. In fact we missed it originally, and the product was back ordered. My wife emailed them and they honored the 30% and credited us back actually.

It took a while before we settled on the tile to be honest. Concrete was our original plan given the look. We did our backyard last year - though we hired someone - and our original design called for big concrete squares that we would have had to pour ourselves w/ a grass boarder in between. But with little kids and a dog, we scrapped it and went to a dedicated grass area with a paver boarder and pavers over the rest of the patio leading to the deck. Love the look but just wasn't practical.

Keep an eye on Toja's site - they have sales often enough. In fact we missed it originally, and the product was back ordered. My wife emailed them and they honored the 30% and credited us back actually.
Nice! I will keep my eyes peeled. I havent seen any other tie ins that look that clean or as easy to install. Maybe thats why they charge the premium lol.

I'm thinking of removing this whole bush thing and adding some rocks/pavers, I want to add a pergola and make this a chill lounge area with a fire pit. I just need to plan out a design or have someone plan it out
IMG_2983[1].PNG
nice lil area when u get it situated

I'm thinking of removing this whole bush thing and adding some rocks/pavers, I want to add a pergola and make this a chill lounge area with a fire pit. I just need to plan out a design or have someone plan it out

Designing it out yourself isn't all that complicated based on what you want to do and their respective shapes (squares / rectangles). Cop some grid/graph paper and draw a rough outline to scale and you'll be able to design it yourself. That's essentially what we did in our front yard above. Measured out everything and took to making a graph paper mock up before doing anything.

Buying a house for myself in Cali. Tough bro’s. Preapporve for up to 400k so it’s more getting a condo or townhouse. I’m in the valley. I hope to get a dope townhome. In sylmar area.
I’m in the same boat as you. Gonna have to look for a townhome or condo as well. I work in Pasadena so and the valley is an area I’m thinking about looking at.

Designing it out yourself isn't all that complicated based on what you want to do and their respective shapes (squares / rectangles). Cop some grid/graph paper and draw a rough outline to scale and you'll be able to design it yourself. That's essentially what we did in our front yard above. Measured out everything and took to making a graph paper mock up before doing anything.

Download homedesign3D i basically mapped out my entire new build with it and the house is coming out practically as I designed it

I’m in the same boat as you. Gonna have to look for a townhome or condo as well. I work in Pasadena so and the valley is an area I’m thinking about looking at.

VAlley ain’t to far of a driveto Pasadena. If it’s in the SFV area 210. Hardly traffic.
I will most def rent out a room help pay the pad :lol:

Back
Top Bottom