Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

i still think texans end up trading for someone better than fitz... like hoyer/mallet/mcgloin or some other chump. i don't know why andre would have a sudden change of heart unless they let him know their plan of upgrading immediately at QB. i could be totally wrong 

i still think texans end up trading for someone better than fitz... like hoyer/mallet/mcgloin or some other chump. i don't know why andre would have a sudden change of heart unless they let him know their plan of upgrading immediately at QB. i could be totally wrong 

I would be dow with Hoyer 100%, but whatever QB is here has to do SOMETHING. I can't take a full season of that type of play. Sure, it's just pre-season, but remember last years opening pre-season games when the defense of making stops, then giving up huge 3rd down conversions, and we said "it's only pre-season, they'll fix it once the regular season starts"? Well....we see what happened :lol: :smh:

From ESPN:
The Houston Texans (0-1) host the Atlanta Falcons (1-0) in the Texans' home preseason opener Saturday night at NRG Stadium.

Three things to watch

The backup quarterback battle will continue this week. Though our ears all perked up at Case Keenum's first-team reps in practice on Thursday, I've heard some things this week that lead me to believe not to read too much into that. Supporting that view is the fact Texans' coach Bill O'Brien said Keenum won't get any first-team reps tonight against the Falcons. O'Brien hasn't wavered from Fitzpatrick as the starter. He and rookie Tom Savage are competing to be the team's backup. There was barely any time to evaluate offensive players last weekend against the Arizona Cardinals. The Texans only ran 41 offensive plays. Keenum threw five passes, completing three, and Savage threw three, completing two. The Texans will need to stay on the field longer for coaches to get a better idea of some of these battles.

Xavier Su'a-Filo took first-team reps at guard week during camp. He's still listed as Ben Jones' backup at left guard on the depth chart, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in with the first team at right guard this year. It's an interesting situation in which the Texans find themselves. The man slated to be their starting right guard heading into the season, Brandon Brooks, is still on the non-football injury list with a back injury. Jones has plenty of playing experience and Su'a-Filo, as the first pick of the second round, was thought to be competing with Jones to be the starting left guard. He had a lot of catching up to do after missing the spring because of an NFL rule related to his college's schedule, but has been playing some tackle and center since returning. He's settling in at right guard now, though. "Xavier is trying to take advantage of all of the opportunities that he gets and he's learning on the run," O'Brien said. "The thing I really like about him is he's a really good guy, he’s a hard worker, he’s a smart player for a rookie and I believe if he continues on that road of working hard, being smart, working hard in the weight room and taking care of his body, that he’ll continue to improve and be a good player."

The Texans' defensive backfield will face an offense that will give them a good barometer on their own progress this week. They'll be looking for improvement over last week when the Cardinals' quarterbacks completed their first 10 passes. They completed 79.4 percent of their passes and had a combined passer rating of 138.8. In three consecutive weeks the Texans' secondary will face stiff challenges. Last week they saw Larry Fitzgerald. This week they have Roddy White and Julio Jones, though Falcons coach Mike Smith wouldn't confirm Jones will play tonight. Then, of course, next week they'll face Peyton Manning's Denver Broncos.

On my way to the game. I wasn't excited at all, but got pumped when I put my Cushing jersey on.

My body is ready.

:pimp: :pimp:

....unfortunately I may have to catch the second half, or even dvr it cause I was just told today about my cousins graduation going away get together (military). So I'll chime back in either around 11, or early tomorrow

Bouye, Grimes, Posier, Tuggle, and Sua are all starting tonight.

Foster, Andre, Nix, Ke'o, Mike Thomas, and JJoe are all out for various reasons (mostly to see what the younger/bubble guys are about). Kesean Martin on notice :nerd:...just from seeing games before, if they're both healthy, I think Thonas takes his spot.

Last edited:
well this made up for last week. esp with Fitzpatrick putting up 6 with less than 2 mins left.

Clowney 
pimp.gif

Fitz showed some "moxy" out there 
grin.gif

Grimes reminds me a lot of Domanick Davis/Williams. 

but honestly, this makes me wonder just how bad the Falcons are 
roll.gif
sick.gif

but honestly, this makes me wonder just how bad the Falcons are :rofl: :x

This crossed my mind too :lol: ive never really paid attention to the Falcons defense, but they've pretty much been very good offensively for awhile, so it was good to know our D could stifle them to 7 points

It completely slipped my mind how good the special teams played the other night, in both coverage and returns. Guys were flying around, actually setting up blocks, running downfield with a purpose, and making sure tackles. Almost had a stream of tears rolling down my face. Hope that carries over into the regular season.

Not only is Bullough going to make the team he may be a starter besides Cushing.

Bouye, Mack & Hal >>> Harris.

The Houston Texans had many laudable performances by newcomers in their first win in almost a year. Here are some players who could crack the rotation in the regular season.

Running Backs

With Arian Foster coming of age and injuries becoming frequent, the Texans have found themselves a couple of solid backs in Jonathan Grimes and Alfred Blue. Both fit into O’Brien’s system perfectly just as Arian Foster did with Kubiak’s zone blocking design. Grimes is averaging 4.3 yards per carry while Blue is averaging 4.7.

I personally think Blue should end up with the backup position behind Foster. His 6’1 frame becomes very useful at the goaline and the rookie even looks like Foster in the way he smoothly slithers through defensive holes. O’Brien will have to make a tough decision on which to play, however, both look to be very promising.

Kendrick Lewis

Former Kansas City DB Kendrick Lewis laid the wood a couple of times on Falcons receivers and running backs. If the 5th year veteran can bring that same intensity to the secondary and play just as well in the passing game, the Texans could have a pretty stout defense with the emergence of Clowney and the experience of Joseph, Jackson, Watt, and Cushing.

Andre Hal

Hal also impressed in his second exhibition game in the NFL. The 7th rounder picked off former Texan T.J. Yates and returned it for a touchdown. Houston is need of depth in the secondary and Hal could be extremely useful if he continues to be aggressive on the field.

Max Bullough

The rookie from Michigan State found himself in the right spot at the right time after picking off T.J. Yates in the 4th quarter. Texans will need some help at the linebacker position as Brian Cushing will just be getting back into the swing of things.

Travis Labhart

The chemistry between Case Keenum and Travis Labhart was discovered in the Texans second preseason game against the Falcons. The rookie had a solid outing catching 3 passes for 36 yards and had a decent return of 16 yards as a punt returner. Houston has a nice WR group, nonetheless, depth is always needed with injuries during the season and Labhart could find his way on the field if he keeps putting up respectable numbers.

C.J. Fiedorowicz

During a postgame interview, Ryan Fitzpatrick called the rookie tight end a “reliable” target. Although Fiedorowicz only caught two passes for 14 yards, the coaches and players could see the kid has a good chance of seeing some good minutes on the field this season. With O’Brien coming from a Patriots’ system where tight ends are worshipped, I expect there will be times where both Graham and Fiedorowicz will be one the field at the same time.

Everybody currently is practicing except for Chris Myers, who's sitting out just for rest. Nix and Brandon Brooks are having light practices because of their recent injuries.

Broncos players been doing a lot of whining cause the Texans are playing pretty intense in practice. Kareem didn't bite on a double move :smile:eek :wow:) from DThomas, and picked him off, and Watt bulrushes one of their lineman. It basically amounts to "Why are the Texans being so rough :wow: :wow:?"

Do you guys think Jonathan Grimes is worth a pickup in fantasy?

I'll say yes, cause at worst, he'll just be coming in relief for Foster, picking up a couple first downs and goal line TDs. At best(?) Foster will have these nagging injuries and Grimes will have a handful of games where he'll start, with Alfred Blue being next up.

JJoe and Brooks will be hold out til opening day.

Back
Top Bottom