How a stray dog improved my bicycle maintenance *PICS added*

I was heading out the door today at 5 p.m. to go to class. On the way to the garage I glanced out into my front yard. Standing there was a little black andwhite short haired dog wearing a red and white coat (I'm serious). Not wanting the dog to conduct dog business in my yard, I went out the gate to see (A)why it was not on a leash and (B) where the owner was so he/she could get the beast out of the yard. No owner in sight.

Being an animal owner and not wanting to see it wander into the street and get hurt, I attempted to call it over. After a bit of reluctance the little guyapproached and let me pet him. He had on a collar (and a red and white jacket; did I mention that?), but no tags. He looked like the dogs some neighbors acouple of blocks away own, so I got him to follow me down there and knocked on the door. No answer.

Back we go to my place. I put him in the back yard while I backed my vehicle out of the garage and then put him inside (it's really cold outside and hisjacket is not very heavy). I grabbed a couple old blankets and put them down so he didn't have to lay on the concrete. My neighbor gave me some dog food, Igave the dog food and water, and then set off for class. On the way, I stopped to put a note on the front door of the suspected owners. I called my wife andtold her the situation and asked that she park in the driveway when she came home from work.

After class I stopped by the house where I thought the dog came from. They were home and had not seen my note on the front door as they go through the garageto enter the house. They told me it's not their dog. Back at the house, I went out and turned on the furnace in the garage and hung out with the dog for awhile. My bike was on the service stand, so I thought I'd tinker with it while the garage warmed up.

I first put on my new Odi lock-on grips and moved my controls. Next, I removed the rear tire and rim to get some pieces of glass and rock out of the contactarea. As it turned out, a small piece of steel was stuck through the tire and into the tube, but no air was escaping. I removed the tube, cleared out thedebris, and decided I'll just get new tires as the hole makes me nervous. Glad I discovered the problem in the garage and not out on the road. I thencleaned the rear derailleur, freed up the front derailleur that had been sticking, and adjusted the front and back disc brakes.

I'm glad the little dude came along; I have been pretty lazy with maintenance lately and his being in the garage gave me a reason to be in there with theheat on and get some work done. Hopefully tomorrow I can figure out where he lives.

Cliffs:
Found stray dog
Put him in garage
Hung out with the dog and did much needed bicycle maintenance
smile.gif

i though u were talking about a motorcycle... your married and you drive that piece of %+$@...lol

Originally Posted by suge67

i though u were talking about a motorcycle... your married and you drive that piece of %+$@...lol
You thought bicycle meant motorcycle?

I have a Dodge Ram. The bike is for fun and is a pretty nice bike, not a piece of %+$@.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

not a bad looking dog. you should wash his jacket so its cleaner looking
Since I'm feeding him, housing him, and heating the garage I should go ahead and hook up his laundry, right?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel

Originally Posted by jplikejayz

hurry up and edit everything, don't let ska krux see this thread

55846522.jpg
Why?

I think thats what he meant. And good story. Glad to hear people actually take care of strays still.

The only thinkg you need to do now is learn to fit a saddle bag - it should be tight up against your seat not swinging in the breeze like that.

Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

not a bad looking dog. you should wash his jacket so its cleaner looking
Since I'm feeding him, housing him, and heating the garage I should go ahead and hook up his laundry, right?
roll.gif

might as well bro. guy probably feels uncomfortable laying around your clean home in his dirty jacket.

Back
Top Bottom