How are Mainstream People Changing in 2011?

I always hear about new tech trends for the coming year (geo-location, mobile video, green, etc etc), but it seems like these things are so cutting edge that they never get picked up by the "wal-mart" consumer.

But it seems like there are social changes happening with mainstream consumers, and how they interact with others and their families and media. I was just wondering what you think is happening right now with those kind of people (I live on the coast and am pretty unfamiliar with cultures in the midwest and the south). How are these people changing right now and where are they going? Sorry its kind of random, but I was just thinking about it the other day and really want to hear what others think.

I always hear about new tech trends for the coming year (geo-location, mobile video, green, etc etc), but it seems like these things are so cutting edge that they never get picked up by the "wal-mart" consumer.

But it seems like there are social changes happening with mainstream consumers, and how they interact with others and their families and media. I was just wondering what you think is happening right now with those kind of people (I live on the coast and am pretty unfamiliar with cultures in the midwest and the south). How are these people changing right now and where are they going? Sorry its kind of random, but I was just thinking about it the other day and really want to hear what others think.

Dumb people want smart phones so they can go on facebook and publish their life stories and text people sitting right next to them

Dumb people want smart phones so they can go on facebook and publish their life stories and text people sitting right next to them

Originally Posted by lostsoulswander

Somewhat accurate.

Years ago your folks could only rock these.

jitterbug_08.jpg

Now they are rolling with keyboarded eye-phones.

iphonecase.jpg

People who have never seen the inside of a library get highspeed cable and internet just to play on xbox live and shout racial slurs all day long. Technology is so easily attainable now and explained so simply the gap between young and old/rich and poor is so much closer then it ever has been as far as tech is concerned.

Somewhat accurate.

Years ago your folks could only rock these.

jitterbug_08.jpg

Now they are rolling with keyboarded eye-phones.

iphonecase.jpg

People who have never seen the inside of a library get highspeed cable and internet just to play on xbox live and shout racial slurs all day long. Technology is so easily attainable now and explained so simply the gap between young and old/rich and poor is so much closer then it ever has been as far as tech is concerned.

worse than those folks are people who add them on facebook and tolerate their stupidity without utilizing the "remove from friends list" feature  and complain about it all day

worse than those folks are people who add them on facebook and tolerate their stupidity without utilizing the "remove from friends list" feature  and complain about it all day

You talking about closing the "digital divide"?

Income aside, Adoption is an issue now but wont be when Gen Y becomes the elderly. It's crazy to think that kids today are growing up on iPod Touches when I grew up on cassettes. DVDs and Bluray when I had to make sure to rewind the VHS before I returned it. Even physical media will become near obsolete as network capabilities advance.

You talking about closing the "digital divide"?

Income aside, Adoption is an issue now but wont be when Gen Y becomes the elderly. It's crazy to think that kids today are growing up on iPod Touches when I grew up on cassettes. DVDs and Bluray when I had to make sure to rewind the VHS before I returned it. Even physical media will become near obsolete as network capabilities advance.

I was basically wondering how these people consume media, and how its different from tech geeks and online nerds like us. I really can't figure it out. I know they do it at a lesser level, but how? where is it going? I'm really interested.

I was basically wondering how these people consume media, and how its different from tech geeks and online nerds like us. I really can't figure it out. I know they do it at a lesser level, but how? where is it going? I'm really interested.

Am I the only one who is finding it hard to REALLY understand OP's question. Still sounds like an interesting topic though.

Am I the only one who is finding it hard to REALLY understand OP's question. Still sounds like an interesting topic though.

Apparently only 28-32% of people own smart-phones.

The needs and opinions of these blogs go over the heads of a lot of people and we get so caught up thinking that we're on the "forefront" of new technology and attempt to one-up each other by having it.

The needs and opinions of these blogs go over the heads of a lot of people and we get so caught up thinking that we're on the "forefront" of new technology and attempt to one-up each other by having it.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

that's basically what I was thinking about... I caught myself feeling like, hey, everyone has an iPhone, plays PS3/Xbox live, has a macbook with DSL, goes on blogs/online forums/twitter for info and entertainment. But that's not exactly true, is it?

Like, do mainstream families stream movies to their TVs? are they still renting DVDs at blockbuster? What are these people doing right now and in the future? I'm kinda curious.

that's basically what I was thinking about... I caught myself feeling like, hey, everyone has an iPhone, plays PS3/Xbox live, has a macbook with DSL, goes on blogs/online forums/twitter for info and entertainment. But that's not exactly true, is it?

Like, do mainstream families stream movies to their TVs? are they still renting DVDs at blockbuster? What are these people doing right now and in the future? I'm kinda curious.

WooHoo, I'm a dumb person.

From where consumers are at right now, I don't think it will get any more advanced for a couple of years. Software will definitely change but hardware won't change much. There will always be that new website or app that blows up but until there are touch screens the size of TV's everywhere, not much can change. Most of America is behind the tech curve to me anyway. Blu-ray is the closest thing you can get to a theater experience and many people feel they don't need it. Or if they do get it, they don't take advantage of one major benefit, uncompressed audio.

WooHoo, I'm a dumb person.

From where consumers are at right now, I don't think it will get any more advanced for a couple of years. Software will definitely change but hardware won't change much. There will always be that new website or app that blows up but until there are touch screens the size of TV's everywhere, not much can change. Most of America is behind the tech curve to me anyway. Blu-ray is the closest thing you can get to a theater experience and many people feel they don't need it. Or if they do get it, they don't take advantage of one major benefit, uncompressed audio.

Originally Posted by Travis Outlaw

Ill tell you exactly what they are doing......
1. Mainstream families dont stream movies to TVs.......they rent dvds from red box at the local grocery store or the newest bootleg of the corner for 5

2. Plenty of people still dont own a flat screen tv and still use regular coxal cable for their tv connection...

3. Not everyone has a iphone.......PLENTY of people still have samgsung filp phones and Razors on metro pcs or tmobile

4. More people may have dsl.....but the average household owns an HP desktop and only know about twitter/facebook/myspace for news and entertainment.
5. Not everyone has a pS3/Xbox.....the average house hold has a PS2 still or a Wii 
laugh.gif

when people come to my crib and i turn on the ps3 and throw on my downloaded movie list full of the latest screeners.....they look at me like im crazy 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom