How Come There Are No Filipino NBA Players?

naterobinsondunk.jpg

Since Townsend, there hasn’t been anybody with any Filipino blood to play in the NBA – or at least one that was known anyway. But that all changed recently as it was revealed in this YouTube video that the Knicks’ Nate Robinson has some Filipino in him.

Being Filipino myself, naturally this was of interest to me. Before the Knicks played the Raptors on Friday night, I approached Nate in the locker room and asked him if it was true.

“That is true,

How passionate/crazy/delusional Filipinos are about Manny Pacquaio, I'd be interested and at the same time uninterested to see how hyped and beloved a borderline star Filipino NBA player would be. If that makes any sense.

How passionate/crazy/delusional Filipinos are about Manny Pacquaio, I'd be interested and at the same time uninterested to see how hyped and beloved a borderline star Filipino NBA player would be. If that makes any sense.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

There are a few that might have been able to crack an NBA lineup. If that Japanese guy that was on the Suns could make it I know a Filipino can. The ones I played against in Manila were pretty good, their guards are super feisty, what they lack in straight physical ability they attempt to make up in desire.

He is a FIlipino legend. When you are over there that is all you hear about.

Yuta Tabuse - and he's better than what showed up in the random minutes that season. I haven't seen a PBA guy of his caliber - in my opinion...

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

There are a few that might have been able to crack an NBA lineup. If that Japanese guy that was on the Suns could make it I know a Filipino can. The ones I played against in Manila were pretty good, their guards are super feisty, what they lack in straight physical ability they attempt to make up in desire.

He is a FIlipino legend. When you are over there that is all you hear about.

Yuta Tabuse - and he's better than what showed up in the random minutes that season. I haven't seen a PBA guy of his caliber - in my opinion...

I'm pretty sure Pepe Sanchez is Argentinian

As for the question, I think the answer is that there hasn't been one good enough to crack an NBA roster. Simple.

I'm pretty sure Pepe Sanchez is Argentinian

As for the question, I think the answer is that there hasn't been one good enough to crack an NBA roster. Simple.

i think nate robinson is part filipino,
my cousin told me about it a couple of weeks ago.
not sure if its true, but he seemed pretty convincing....
laugh.gif

and yes ^
we're too short....
laugh.gif

i think nate robinson is part filipino,
my cousin told me about it a couple of weeks ago.
not sure if its true, but he seemed pretty convincing....
laugh.gif

and yes ^
we're too short....
laugh.gif

Theres alot of good Filipino players, and we have some pretty dope leagues here on the east coast, Hoopsville for you NYC/Jersey Filipinos.

As far as the NBA goes, were just too damn short.
laugh.gif

Theres alot of good Filipino players, and we have some pretty dope leagues here on the east coast, Hoopsville for you NYC/Jersey Filipinos.

As far as the NBA goes, were just too damn short.
laugh.gif

There are a billion things I'd like to say but I'll keep short and simple lol.

Someone said something about "Filipino game" is more street ball, well, that's pretty accurate. Filipinos are probably the best ballers in Asia but they play way too much one on one ball. If you look at the recent Asian competitions the last 2 years teams that have won play a team game with everyone being involved. National teams from China, Iran, SoKor, Japan even Lebanon play very well disciplined ball where as Team Pilipinas play the opposite. It's hard breaking to watch the National Teams sometimes because they're talented enough to challenge other Asian National Teams but they always end up losing.

Johnny A. was scouted by the Charlotte Hornets back in '98 when BJ Armstrong was the only PG they had left because of injuries but Johnny A. was never invited to their camp. For a while he was the best PG in Asia.

They have a bunch of Fil-Ams playing in the PBA. Notables like Gabe Norwood (George Mason) and others like Jared Dillinger, Danny Siegle, Rafi Reavis, Asia Taulava Alex Cabagnot, Kelly Williams, who played either played D1 or D2 ball in the US.

The height issue about Filipinos is somewhat legitimate. I mean when cats are like 6'4 or 6'5 they automatically play C in the PI. You can't expect some Filipino dude standing 6'5 playing C in the L
laugh.gif

There are a billion things I'd like to say but I'll keep short and simple lol.

Someone said something about "Filipino game" is more street ball, well, that's pretty accurate. Filipinos are probably the best ballers in Asia but they play way too much one on one ball. If you look at the recent Asian competitions the last 2 years teams that have won play a team game with everyone being involved. National teams from China, Iran, SoKor, Japan even Lebanon play very well disciplined ball where as Team Pilipinas play the opposite. It's hard breaking to watch the National Teams sometimes because they're talented enough to challenge other Asian National Teams but they always end up losing.

Johnny A. was scouted by the Charlotte Hornets back in '98 when BJ Armstrong was the only PG they had left because of injuries but Johnny A. was never invited to their camp. For a while he was the best PG in Asia.

They have a bunch of Fil-Ams playing in the PBA. Notables like Gabe Norwood (George Mason) and others like Jared Dillinger, Danny Siegle, Rafi Reavis, Asia Taulava Alex Cabagnot, Kelly Williams, who played either played D1 or D2 ball in the US.

The height issue about Filipinos is somewhat legitimate. I mean when cats are like 6'4 or 6'5 they automatically play C in the PI. You can't expect some Filipino dude standing 6'5 playing C in the L
laugh.gif

Poor training.  I think the philippines just don't how to train their players.  They should take their best athletes and ship them off to europe or the usa. 

Poor training.  I think the philippines just don't how to train their players.  They should take their best athletes and ship them off to europe or the usa. 

Originally Posted by amel223

Naw man, we're just not that tall or athletic. My dad told me he used to play center back in the day... at 5'7 
laugh.gif

I don't give a damn, I'm claiming Nate 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

Naw man, we're just not that tall or athletic. My dad told me he used to play center back in the day... at 5'7 
laugh.gif

I don't give a damn, I'm claiming Nate 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom