How do you feel about the state of music video's today? Who is your fav. director?

Im a film student studying film and art as well as photography. I love this site and use this as one of my most valuable resources, Im on it everyday literally, so clearly i take into heavy consideration all of you guys opinions. One topic I see that we really haven't spoken about is music video's and directors. I grew up watching alot of music video's and appreciate the art of music and film colliding worlds and how a really creative and visually stunning video could totally propel a song and take it to another level. I feel the art has been going down hill with the lack of creativity and the low budgeting of video's nowadays. All you see is video's by director's such as Gil green, Chris robinson and here n there hype williams, that mostly fall short and ideas being recycled horribly as well as poor marketing of the latest trends such Monster beat headphones etc. I must admit Gil green has stepped his game up slightly after i viewed the "fireflame" video remix with lil wayne but has cheesy story lines most of the time and keeps it too hood which may be fine for some of you guys. Chris robinson 
grin.gif
 eehhh he gets alot of work and is super consistent but his ideas are too predictable sometimes, hype williams is trying alot of new stuff which is cool but doesnt look like he's putting any real thought into what he's doing although his color corrections in post come out really hot...I miss the days of directors such as Diane Martel, Joseph Khan, Mark Romaneck, the old hype williams, billie woodruff and i cannot forget the ultimate Paul hunter. Joseph Khan's stuff looks sooo awesome, his does dope effects, he's versatile and he is highly creative. Just look at Keri hilson "pretty Girl Rock" he did his thing that was a great idea of her playing all of the leading ladies in R&B and it still looked classy and respectable to the all of the artists portrayed, I probably would've never liked that song if it weren't for the video honestly. Diane Martel is so creative and smart and stays true to her New york roots. She straight up keeps it real! Do you guys remember method man's "Bring tha pain" and "Your all i need" as well as NERD's "rockstar".   Paul hunter might probably be my favorite music video director period! Hands down
pimp.gif
 that man puts a whole lot of hard work into his ideas and art and cleary shows and proves that he's a hard worker and very intelligent individual, he doesn't follow trends he creates them, this guy is pretty much my role model at this point, him and and an up and coming director by the name of Dereck janniere he doesn't get much work but he his latest work i think is "Blanco" by pitbull for the fast and furious 3 soundtrack that dude knows how to pick 'em, he had alot of hot chicks in that vid, just check out "supermodel" by brandon howard,  he is more known for his editing work,  he cut jaime foxx "dj play a love song" as well as "My love" justine timberlake. I also like justin francis work as well, he did alicia keys "No One'' as well as Trey songz latest single "Love faces" in which he did a good job on, Collin Tiley is doing all of chris brown's stuff and i must admit I really like the gritty look in the deuces video it was pretty dope. Female director Melina is also putting in heavy work for the ladies, at first i was iffy about her but she proved her talent to me with "rude boy" rihanna and "Why dont you love me" beyonce. How can i forget Bryan Barber he's pretty dope. I love his coloring and cinematic looks, he basically helped a great deal in keyshia cole's career. Basically this thread is to open up discussion on how you guys feel about music video's currently and previous favorites as well as your favorite directors... It's gonna be curious to hear you guys opinions because my NT fam doesn't hold back in their posts and i love it i feel like we're in the cafeteria of our high school jus choppin it up... call it what you want blog? or whatever but i love NT!!!! 

Im a film student studying film and art as well as photography. I love this site and use this as one of my most valuable resources, Im on it everyday literally, so clearly i take into heavy consideration all of you guys opinions. One topic I see that we really haven't spoken about is music video's and directors. I grew up watching alot of music video's and appreciate the art of music and film colliding worlds and how a really creative and visually stunning video could totally propel a song and take it to another level. I feel the art has been going down hill with the lack of creativity and the low budgeting of video's nowadays. All you see is video's by director's such as Gil green, Chris robinson and here n there hype williams, that mostly fall short and ideas being recycled horribly as well as poor marketing of the latest trends such Monster beat headphones etc. I must admit Gil green has stepped his game up slightly after i viewed the "fireflame" video remix with lil wayne but has cheesy story lines most of the time and keeps it too hood which may be fine for some of you guys. Chris robinson 
grin.gif
 eehhh he gets alot of work and is super consistent but his ideas are too predictable sometimes, hype williams is trying alot of new stuff which is cool but doesnt look like he's putting any real thought into what he's doing although his color corrections in post come out really hot...I miss the days of directors such as Diane Martel, Joseph Khan, Mark Romaneck, the old hype williams, billie woodruff and i cannot forget the ultimate Paul hunter. Joseph Khan's stuff looks sooo awesome, his does dope effects, he's versatile and he is highly creative. Just look at Keri hilson "pretty Girl Rock" he did his thing that was a great idea of her playing all of the leading ladies in R&B and it still looked classy and respectable to the all of the artists portrayed, I probably would've never liked that song if it weren't for the video honestly. Diane Martel is so creative and smart and stays true to her New york roots. She straight up keeps it real! Do you guys remember method man's "Bring tha pain" and "Your all i need" as well as NERD's "rockstar".   Paul hunter might probably be my favorite music video director period! Hands down
pimp.gif
 that man puts a whole lot of hard work into his ideas and art and cleary shows and proves that he's a hard worker and very intelligent individual, he doesn't follow trends he creates them, this guy is pretty much my role model at this point, him and and an up and coming director by the name of Dereck janniere he doesn't get much work but he his latest work i think is "Blanco" by pitbull for the fast and furious 3 soundtrack that dude knows how to pick 'em, he had alot of hot chicks in that vid, just check out "supermodel" by brandon howard,  he is more known for his editing work,  he cut jaime foxx "dj play a love song" as well as "My love" justine timberlake. I also like justin francis work as well, he did alicia keys "No One'' as well as Trey songz latest single "Love faces" in which he did a good job on, Collin Tiley is doing all of chris brown's stuff and i must admit I really like the gritty look in the deuces video it was pretty dope. Female director Melina is also putting in heavy work for the ladies, at first i was iffy about her but she proved her talent to me with "rude boy" rihanna and "Why dont you love me" beyonce. How can i forget Bryan Barber he's pretty dope. I love his coloring and cinematic looks, he basically helped a great deal in keyshia cole's career. Basically this thread is to open up discussion on how you guys feel about music video's currently and previous favorites as well as your favorite directors... It's gonna be curious to hear you guys opinions because my NT fam doesn't hold back in their posts and i love it i feel like we're in the cafeteria of our high school jus choppin it up... call it what you want blog? or whatever but i love NT!!!! 

^^ if your not gonna reply or put valuable input into this post, then jus ignore it...seriously, what was the point of writing that your not gonna read it.. this is a message forum write?  it isn't anyone's fault that u lack incompetence and concentration to read a simple paragraph, if u were passionate enough about the art and the topic at hand then maybe you'd read it but clearly you don't so just beat it!

^^ if your not gonna reply or put valuable input into this post, then jus ignore it...seriously, what was the point of writing that your not gonna read it.. this is a message forum write?  it isn't anyone's fault that u lack incompetence and concentration to read a simple paragraph, if u were passionate enough about the art and the topic at hand then maybe you'd read it but clearly you don't so just beat it!

Originally Posted by soflyjedi

Damn, someone's mad. But for real, I'm pretty sure you just wrote the longest post in this forum's history. And if you know the demographic of this forum, no one's reading that. Well maybe a handful will. Let's guess about 8 people. But I'm sure people will post their favorite director without needing to read it.

Spoiler [+]
I didnt read either
smile.gif
Should I beat it?

Damn, someone's mad. But for real, I'm pretty sure you just wrote the longest post in this forum's history. And if you know the demographic of this forum, no one's reading that. Well maybe a handful will. Let's guess about 8 people. But I'm sure people will post their favorite director without needing to read it.

Spoiler [+]
I didnt read either
smile.gif
Should I beat it?

As for people coming up, JeromeD's work has caught my attention recently. Very simple and plain, yet effective visuals to compliment the songs but they add some depth and weight to them.

As for people coming up, JeromeD's work has caught my attention recently. Very simple and plain, yet effective visuals to compliment the songs but they add some depth and weight to them.

it's always great to see up and coming artists work such as jerome D, he has alot of vids.  low budget and they still look dope nice
pimp.gif

it's always great to see up and coming artists work such as jerome D, he has alot of vids.  low budget and they still look dope nice
pimp.gif

Yeah he's just been working with new school west coast rappers. My favorites of his are with

Versis ,

Dom Kennedy

Tiron

Nothing big or extravagant. Just great new artists working together putting out good work. It's good to see and respectable.

Also, there was a thread a little while ago about the top music videos of 2010. There was some amazing stuff.

Yeah he's just been working with new school west coast rappers. My favorites of his are with

Versis ,

Dom Kennedy

Tiron

Nothing big or extravagant. Just great new artists working together putting out good work. It's good to see and respectable.

Also, there was a thread a little while ago about the top music videos of 2010. There was some amazing stuff.

Music videos are getting better and better.

I like how people can jus' make a HD low-budget video as well for mixtape tracks and so forth.

Music videos are getting better and better.

I like how people can jus' make a HD low-budget video as well for mixtape tracks and so forth.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Spoiler [+]
I didnt read either
smile.gif
Should I beat it?
I tried to read it, but lost interest quickly. Probably would've been a good idea if op embedded some examples.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Spoiler [+]
I didnt read either
smile.gif
Should I beat it?
I tried to read it, but lost interest quickly. Probably would've been a good idea if op embedded some examples.

yeah too long.

black diamond-is that just a prod company or a director n co?

but these dudes stay pumpin out quality mvs for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom