How do you non-tippers handle gratuity or eating w/ a large group?

one thing i know about NT is that threads about tipping are generally more polarizing than racial-themed ones lol

Last edited:
End of the day some of you come across as very selfish. The tip isn't the issue here its the mindset you guys have as if your better then the server or that he or she is below you just because their waiting tables for whatever reason. If people don't want to tip then hey whatever nothing said is going to change that mindset of yours but to come across as if your better then someone waiting tables is very shallow.
You can't force someone to do something that's optional though and fault does lie within the industry as well, either charge mandatory gratuity and you'll lose the business of customers that don't believe in tipping which wouldn't be a big loss, do what California does and pay the waiters state minimum wage, or give them a better wage at the expense of raising the prices on food an abolish tipping.
My question for the non tippers is though if all the restaurants around your way raised food prices in order to cover better employee wages at the expense of raising food prices would you still eat at these spots. Tipping would be abolished but your paying 25-30% more for your food
i mean to be honest esp the selfish part makes absolutely no sense... no matter what kind of angle you try to spin on it. to be honest it seems as you guys who tip feel as if you are better then them feel sorry for them and justify your feelings by throwing them a bone ala heres a tip. and how does tipping equate to emotions treatment of a person... remember you guys are the ones who are caught up on the emotional, doing things to have ppl see/view you in a certain light etc.... not us none tippers.

as far as the whole raise food prices goes when you factor in overhead/cost etc... they already make enough to at least pay them minimum wage. So to ask hey would i get mad if a company who makes enough to pay their employees a fair wage, raise the cost of their products so they can pay their employees a fair wage... I mean im not getting that question. Of course i would because they would only be raising the price to increase their profit margin and be lying to me in terms of the reason why they are doing it. Kinda reminds me of nike and the sweatshops, and them saying oh we dont make enough to pay them fair and improve working conditions, despite the fact they more then made enough to do so. Then they increase prices, made inferior products and justify it by saying well we had to in order to improve etc... give them a fair wage... when all along they could have done it and this is just a lame excuse to increase the profit margins...

I mean fi you choose to believe this the hey thats you, but how exactly am i wrong when i clearly know that it isnt true, the employees should no it isnt true, and if they no its true sit back and dont care, then hell why should i care. Its one thing to be in a position, trying to change the circumstances etc... conditions of that position and need aid/help, its another to have button lips, dislike the conditions say nuttin and expect me to do all the work for you.

Its essentially the same mindset of ppl who on govt assistance... its one thing to be in this position (regardless of how you ended up in it) and are trying/striving to make changes etc and not ask or expect help... its another to sit back ***** complain about your position and conditions and just sit back and expect ppl to cover for your short comings when you do little or no effort to change them at all.

End of the day some of you come across as very selfish. The tip isn't the issue here its the mindset you guys have as if your better then the server or that he or she is below you just because their waiting tables for whatever reason. If people don't want to tip then hey whatever nothing said is going to change that mindset of yours but to come across as if your better then someone waiting tables is very shallow.
WHAT?? This just doesn't make sense to me. Now ppl who don't tip think they're better than servers cuz they don't want to tip? I'm selfish cuz I don't want to give ppl money for doing their job? I already gave my reason so it's pure folly for someone to tell me my mindset in making my decision not to tip. It's just crazy as I read this, I have to have some sort of superiority complex when I go out to eat cuz I don't tip and be selfish as well. Well I can be extra clear here, I don't like giving away things just to give them away or for flimsy reasoning. I don't give the ppl panhandling on the train money, I don't give bums on the street money (might get some food though). I am not responsible for other ppl when it comes to their life choices or career decisions. If yall see that as some form of being selfish or classless or w/e other word with a negative connotation you want to place on non-tippers so be it.

I don't think I'm better than the server, more times than not I'm not even thinking about the server. They're just people doing a job, they're not suddenly some lower class citizen because of their job.
You can't force someone to do something that's optional though and fault does lie within the industry as well, either charge mandatory gratuity and you'll lose the business of customers that don't believe in tipping which wouldn't be a big loss, do what California does and pay the waiters state minimum wage, or give them a better wage at the expense of raising the prices on food an abolish tipping.

My question for the non tippers is though if all the restaurants around your way raised food prices in order to cover better employee wages at the expense of raising food prices would you still eat at these spots. Tipping would be abolished but your paying 25-30% more for your food
You saying some of the similar things I've said. Only difference is I feel fault lies completely on the industry and the appeasement and negligence of society. It's so grotesque you got ppl trying to look down on ppl who don't tip cuz outside of being broke everyone does it and the even more twisted ppl that feel they're doing the right thing by doing all types of disgusting things to food during it's preparation as some sort of payback for not getting a tip cuz they feel entitled to it.

As for that situation you bring up, I wouldn't mind it. I've already noticed places are raising prices for food for years now and apparently servers aint getting paid more anyway. It's not like I'm going out to eat everyday at restaurants. Mind you to me going out to eat is just getting food you're too lazy to make yourself or food you can't make yourself. There's plenty places to go to eat. Not tipping isn't some ongoing issue for ppl who don't do it.

Last edited:
Many good points being brought up here. It's safe to say those who tip waiters only do it because its a social norm. There seems to be few industries aside from restaurants in which people are tipped for their service. I have no problem if restaurants raised prices to pay waiters minimum wage. Some of the waiters I know make 3-400 a night off of people who feel sorry for them "being payed unfairly".

15% tip will make prices triple? 0]
#DATMAFF

you pay per Establishment partna.

idk if you do all your fine dinning at McDonalds but obviously if you got to high end steak house or restaurant, they arent gonna be making min wage papi.

your math is still wrong... you're saying an establishment has to raise prices by [COLOR=#red]300%[/COLOR] if their servers lose [COLOR=#red]15%[/COLOR] tips...
please show your work

I treat tipping the same way I do tucking in my shirt at work (I work in a lab). I dont like it. I dont even believe I should have to do it, but at the end of the day its the socially accepted thing to do so I just do it. In a large group I contribute my share of the agreed upon tip.

I never liked being the idea of tipping, so I generally pick up my own pizza and park my own car at events. But there are times when it cant be avoided, so I just deal with it

This is exactly how I feel/am

I don't tip because I don't want to. It is not my concern or obligation to pay someone for doing their job. I'm paying for my meal. I'm not even really paying for their service. If they'd let me, I'd write down what I want, hand it to the chef, refill my own drinks, and then pick up my meal when it's ready. There is no good reason why I should tip.
:rofl:

I treat tipping the same way I do tucking in my shirt at work (I work in a lab). I dont like it. I dont even believe I should have to do it, but at the end of the day its the socially accepted thing to do so I just do it.
BINGO!

Thank god someone finally admits why they do it instead of making it out to be some high moral decision. Thanks for being truthful with yourself ZONA. You dudes don't give a damn about Sarah only getting 2.35 an hour. Save it.

one thing i know about NT is that threads about tipping are generally more polarizing than racial-themed ones lol

Yep lol these come up so often and it gets crazy heated.

I don't like tipping, so i never get delivery i just go pick it up. If i want restaurant food...i order carry-out. If i am going to sit down in a restaurant...i will tip. If i don't feel like tipping...i don't go to a restaurant.

its just that the whole idea of tipping is built on a premise that it is optional, otherwise it should be included in the price or the bill. This is why some people are perplexed as to why they are forced by others to do it if they don't want to. So for some people, its the principle, not so much the money.

And the bigger the group you're with, the higher the chance that you will have that one self-righteous person who used to be a waiter, knows a waiter or is related to a waiter, that will say something like: you know they make most of their income from the tips right? and thus, alluding that you are cheap and that he, and everyone who tips like him, are morally superior while you are seconds away from experiencing godwins law.

Now even though i would put part of the blame on a lot of these establishments' ambiguous stance regarding the issue, if you knowingly put yourself in a situation that might put pressure on you to tip, just do it - it wont ruin you financially after all. Otherwise make a sandwich at home and call it a night because ive had instances where this question ruined the entire night for our whole group.

i just double the tax, the only time i dont tip is when i get crappy service....the tip is supposed to be earned IMO.
That's the true definition of a tip, but in North America it really isn't optional. If you don't tip you're going to end up paying for it in some way. Son was in another tipping thread talking about skeeting in someone's dinner.
eek.gif

Even regular service shouldn't earn a tip. Why does someone need an incentive to do their job properly and efficiently? I always tip though, even if the service is beyond terrible. It really isn't a tip though. I'm not paying someone gratuity for above and beyond or outstanding service, because the regular and even bad servers get tipped just the same because I'm a villain if I don't. Plus I don't want someone to skeet in my food.

Let's just stop calling it a tip and call it a fee. We're paying for the food and the wage, but the employer still gets a pass for paying so low.

Last edited:
I can't believe this is even a conversation. There's NO difference between paying a 20% tip or paying 20% more for the bill, except you'd complain about the ladder as well. The servers get paid on tips to skirt taxes on already low wages because the government knows it disproportionately impacts lower income individuals.

It's a social contract, just like why you don't go up to someone and punch them in the face. It's an agreed upon norm. Deal with it, or don't go out to eat.

I can't believe this is even a conversation. There's NO difference between paying a 20% tip or paying 20% more for the bill, except you'd complain about the ladder as well. The servers get paid on tips to skirt taxes on already low wages because the government knows it disproportionately impacts lower income individuals.

It's a social contract, just like why you don't go up to someone and punch them in the face. It's an agreed upon norm. Deal with it, or don't go out to eat.

WHY NOT JUST RAISE THE BILLS 20%, PAY THE SERVERS A DECENT WAGE, AND END THE TIPPING. EVERYONE WINS.

I WOULD RATHER PAY THE 20% EXTRA ON THE BILL THAN PAY THE 20% TIP. JUST GET RID OF THE AWKWARDNESS AND GUESSING ALL TOGETHER.

GUESS IT'S ALREADY DONE WITH THE GRATUITY SOME SPOTS HAVE. WHY NOT JUST MAKE THAT UNIVERSAL.

easy way to do this... start with x amount of $1 bills on the table...whenever the service gets crappy or the server isnt around for a long period take $1 away ....the tip is whatever is left when my meal is finished.....

easy way to do this... start with x amount of $1 bills on the table...whenever the service gets crappy or the server isnt around for a long period take $1 away ....the tip is whatever is left when my meal is finished.....
Risky. Expect a direct negative correlation between the amount of dollar bills remaining on the table as the night progresses, and the amount of bodily fluids in your drink refills.

Risky. Expect a direct negative correlation between the amount of dollar bills remaining on the table as the night progresses, and the amount of bodily fluids in your drink refills.
nah fam its not.....earn you damb tip or dont get enough to get a jr bacon from wendys when you get off

WHY NOT JUST RAISE THE BILLS 20%, PAY THE SERVERS A DECENT WAGE, AND END THE TIPPING. EVERYONE WINS.
I WOULD RATHER PAY THE 20% EXTRA ON THE BILL THAN PAY THE 20% TIP. JUST GET RID OF THE AWKWARDNESS AND GUESSING ALL TOGETHER.
GUESS IT'S ALREADY DONE WITH THE GRATUITY SOME SPOTS HAVE. WHY NOT JUST MAKE THAT UNIVERSAL.
How would that change anything.....the guy above you pretty much explained how it all works. LOl the funny part in all this is that 1. ppl are for and in favor of something that they have no clue in how it works... which just further proves the point of im a follower dont think/cant think for myself and just do things cause hey everyone else does it. Why would they need to raise the bill when they already make enough to pay them a minimum wage?

The premise of i have enough to give someone something, way more then enough to give someone something, but i will only give up a little if it somehow benefits me more then i am already being benefited.

This could ll be resolved if the workers etc.... instead of sitting back doing nothing and asking/expecting a hand out actually did something to resolved these issues. Imagine if every occupation etc... did what servicepersons did. Sit back do nothing and just asked and expected you to make up the difference. Imagine if instead of striking etc... walmart workers from cashiers, cart attenders etc... just stood there and expected a hand out. Matter of fact there was a time that cart attenders made a lower wage, them and baggers and guess what they eventually advocated to get a minimum wage. And it was a so called standard to tip the bagger/cart attender upon returning to your car.

So i ask if they could do it why cant bartenders, host etc...?

Who hurt you?

How would that change anything.....the guy above you pretty much explained how it all works. LOl the funny part in all this is that 1. ppl are for and in favor of something that they have no clue in how it works... which just further proves the point of im a follower dont think/cant think for myself and just do things cause hey everyone else does it. Why would they need to raise the bill when they already make enough to pay them a minimum wage?

The premise of i have enough to give someone something, way more then enough to give someone something, but i will only give up a little if it somehow benefits me more then i am already being benefited.

This could ll be resolved if the workers etc.... instead of sitting back doing nothing and asking/expecting a hand out actually did something to resolved these issues. Imagine if every occupation etc... did what servicepersons did. Sit back do nothing and just asked and expected you to make up the difference. Imagine if instead of striking etc... walmart workers from cashiers, cart attenders etc... just stood there and expected a hand out. Matter of fact there was a time that cart attenders made a lower wage, them and baggers and guess what they eventually advocated to get a minimum wage. And it was a so called standard to tip the bagger/cart attender upon returning to your car.

So i ask if they could do it why cant bartenders, host etc...?

BECAUSE DEPENDING ON LOCATION, HOSTS AND BARTENDERS CAN MAKE A KILLING OFF TIPS AND JUST NOT ON THE WEEKEND, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. THEY JUST PLAY OFF THE, "I'M MAKING LESS THAN MINIMUN WAGE, HELP ME OUT" STEEZ. NOTHING MORE THAN GLORIFIED PANHANDLING IMO. THEY WON'T EVER ADVOCATE FOR THIS BECAUSE THIS WOULD PLACE A CAP ON THEIR EARNINGS. FROM WHAT I HEAR THOSE PANHANDLERS ON THE CORNER ARE MAKING BANK TOO. THEY AREN'T EVEN SECRET WITH IT NO MORE OUT HERE IN HOUSTON, OUT THERE BEGGING WITH THE NEW JORDANS ON :lol: .

I HATE TIPPING BUT I TIP ANYWAY BECAUSE I'M GUILTY OF FOLLOWING THE NORM THAT HAS BEEN SET BUT I JUST HATE THAT FEELING THAT I SEEM TO RECEIVE FROM THEM LIKE I'M NOT TIPPING ENOUGH. I ALWAYS TIP 20% UNLESS THE SERVICE IS BAD THEN I TIP 15%. GOT THE STANK EYE FROM A WAITER WHO I TIPPED $21 ON $100 DOLLAR MEAL. LIKE DAMN BRO, THAT AIN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU?

Who hurt you?
:rolleyes

What''s that supposed to be, some sort of anti me catchprase?

Last edited:
Who hurt you?
eyes.gif

What''s that supposed to be, some sort of anti me catchprase?
Just wondering who took a **** in your food to make you so bitter.  You bring up food tampering far too much in these arguments and portray it as a FACT that if you don't tip your food will be defiled in some way.

Back
Top Bottom