How do you store your sneakers?

Temporary storage system till me and my girl get our own place.

dr9xja.png

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

Is Damp Rid in the closet a good idea?

Yes, very good my friend.

Here's a tip. The Damp Rid id $7 and change at HD or Lowes.The dollar store has similiar for a buck.
Buy 10 or 20 and you'll have moisture under control. I always put (2) in my closet and replace every (2) months.

Originally Posted by johnandrew07

^^^^ Veryy... Nice... I should take my shoes out of the zip lock bags then..

One question though, since flight club sells SOO many shoes, why do they vacuum seal their shoes? They DO know that they need oxygen to maintain the balance of keeping the shoe alive otherwise they'll suffocate and crumble...

The ozone is the culprit that degrades the synthetic rubbers used in the kicks. Therefore, eliminating the ozone by using air tight bages and ziplocks is the correct and proper procedure to increase the usefill life. I have written extensively about this before. I am a elastomer engineer (rubber bonding - vulcanization). Normally, after 5 years all natural and synthetic elastomers and blends will reach their useful life. After this time period cracking and discoloration will begin no matter what precautions are taken.

There is so much literature available on this subject because of the vast number of industrial uses of these materials. Seals, gaskets. couplings. grommets, etc.all use rubber and synethic rubber. 

in the box thrown em in the closet i just bought a pair of last shots and cool greys 12 years old for 400 total
pimp.gif
 they look like they just came out of footlocker , just make sure everythings sanitary ,

i keep mine in the closet, in the boxes. used plastic bins for a while but it got a hassle keeping both the box and the bin.

Originally Posted by FutureDHughes

Originally Posted by xFLyGUyROCK2O

Hows Everyone Storing Their 2011 Concords XI?
The way they were originally purchased.
Nothing special.

It's only been like 3 months, so its too early to have any changes.
I wish I could say the same for mine. They have already started to yellow.... Bound to happen but its funny why may pairs are yellowing faster than my CG and Space Jams...

I doubled up on my first pairs of Jordan's that I bought for retail and I want to know how to elongate their lifespan. 
I've heard of saran wrapping but then there will be no moisture to keep the soles intact and in return, it will dry out the soles. Unless of course the mid sole is made of polyurethane, will it still matter?

I've also seen people putting both pairs or each pair with icy soles in a plastic ziplock bags and put at least 4 silica gel packets so the soles do not yellow.

Right now I have my Black Cement's in one large ziplock bag and is sitting in its box and left in the closet. 

Are there any alternatives to prolonging the lifespan of your shoes?
From what I understand that leather has to breathe or it starts to flake. I personally store my blkIIIs in the box above my closet with a few silica gel packs to stop the yellowing. I stuffed the toeboxes with plastic bags to keep the structure. I've worn them more than 20 times and other than the cracking of the midsoles they still look great. I am jealous though, I wish I'd bought two pair of these.

Originally Posted by Mr718

Just switched to plastic bins thanks to Mayor.  Quick pic...

This! Cept I just get one big one (cheaper) and organize my shoes neatly in them.
I'll post pics if you need, but I doubt that anyone truly cares.

Originally Posted by NikeRider

^^^^ Veryy... Nice... I should take my shoes out of the zip lock bags then..

One question though, since flight club sells SOO many shoes, why do they vacuum seal their shoes? They DO know that they need oxygen to maintain the balance of keeping the shoe alive otherwise they'll suffocate and crumble...

The ozone is the culprit that degrades the synthetic rubbers used in the kicks. Therefore, eliminating the ozone by using air tight bages and ziplocks is the correct and proper procedure to increase the usefill life. I have written extensively about this before. I am a elastomer engineer (rubber bonding - vulcanization). Normally, after 5 years all natural and synthetic elastomers and blends will reach their useful life. After this time period cracking and discoloration will begin no matter what precautions are taken.

There is so much literature available on this subject because of the vast number of industrial uses of these materials. Seals, gaskets. couplings. grommets, etc.all use rubber and synethic rubber. 

Well, NikeRider - you are wrong.

Man, I just gotta say - a lot of you guys are wrong & misleading. People should read through the whole thread & form their own opinion.
Anybody putting thier kicks in ziplock bags - you didn't invent it, you heard about it - so go back & read through the entire thread & hear about
some other stuff.

^
some say to remove the box paper since it does have chemicals in it
claims are that those chemicals/acidity speed up the yellowing process

i don't remove the paper but i won't argue against it
(the box, paper towels, etc all have these same chemicals & produce the same effect)

thing is - most plastic (ziplock) bags also have chemicals...
i have heard that the plastic the bags slowly release gases over time
that also speed up the yellowing & deterioration processes
which is why ventilation is always necessary

if you go out of your way - one can find papers & plastics that do not contain these chemicals or that pH
(that fine paper used in keeping old photographs)

Originally Posted by green rhino123

^
some say to remove the box paper since it does have chemicals in it
claims are that those chemicals/acidity speed up the yellowing process

i don't remove the paper but i won't argue against it
(the box, paper towels, etc all have these same chemicals & produce the same effect)

thing is - most plastic (ziplock) bags also have chemicals...
i have heard that the plastic the bags slowly release gases over time
that also speed up the yellowing & deterioration processes
which is why ventilation is always necessary

if you go out of your way - one can find papers & plastics that do not contain these chemicals or that pH
(that fine paper used in keeping old photographs)

Also, if you want to delve further into science, those cardboard boxes also contain chemicals...

I never understood keeping shoes DS for 5-10+ years. Just a waste, these aren't an investment people. WEAR YOUR SHOES OR YOU'LL REGRET IT.

Anyways, I keep my shoes in there respective boxes, stacked up on the top shelf of my closet. Silica packets in boxes.

I always double up when I buy a pair of kicks, so the pairs that are waiting to be UN-DS'd are stored separately on one side of the closet.

^^^ for the last two responses

Silica packs dry your shoes out sucking all the moisture speeding the aging process.

So its not gd to use silica packs at all? Is it safe to just store in ziploc bags wit holes in it so the shoe can breath?

Last edited:
I keep them all in the original box. Some wrapped with plastic bags.

Follow me on Instagram @eeericQ check out my footwear.

^it's your fault for not figuring out the main idea of your question and looking for the appropriate thread

Back
Top Bottom