How far has Hurricane Football Fallen?

Randy is bringing in 31 one recruits
eek.gif
dude looks like he's cleaning house next season
Not Possible, U cant just cut scholarship athletes and on top of that there arent enough scholarships available to do that

In 2-3 years the Canes will be champs.
I bet it takes closer to 7 yrs to even be acc champs

I bet it takes closer to 7 yrs to even be acc champs
laugh.gif

7 years?
Come on now...we can be back on top in 3 years if randy knows what he's doing..and if he doesnt a new coach will be here in about 2.

You can't bring in 31 recruits....Unless you are losing 31 scholarship players......Teams are limited to like 85 a year so you expect 1/3 of them to go toincoming freshman??? IDK 'bout that one....

What program had been turned around in only 2-3 years......Y'all just got BLANKED by UVA....To be able to overcome that is 2-3 years minimum...:lol:....Theymay be champs of ACC coastal division in 2 years.....But I hope you don't mean National Champs.....

All your boys that you're talking about them bringing in...All the accolades don't mean anything until they step on the field and prove theretalent..... (This goes for all schools)

What program had been turned around in only 2-3 years......Y'all just got BLANKED by UVA....To be able to overcome that is 2-3 years minimum....They may be champs of So. Fla in 2 years.....But I hope you don't mean National Champs.....

In 3 years we will have basically a new roster....there is no reason to say that we cannot be championship caliber in 2010.

The U can still bring in top talent people....so by 2010 it would not be surprising for us to be in the title hunt.

31 recruits can be done with some early entries, draft entries, and transfers......florida just signed 52 kids in 2 years...

South Carolina signed 31 kids last year, knowing that a few would be academic casualties, signed a couple early-enrollees back to the previous season andconveniently cut some dead weight from the roster. There is a maximum of 25 per class though in terms of enrollments towards that season.

And I've gotta agree with Gunna, there's no way Miami even wins the ACC in the next 3 years.

And I've gotta agree with Gunna, there's no way Miami even wins the ACC in the next 3 years.
I still dont see how anybody can come to that conclusion when in 3 years we will have a brand new roster of talented players.....3 years ago didanybody think Wake, South Florida, or Rutgers would be competitive? Hell, 3 years ago, who could have predicted that Florida would win the MNC that soon afterthe Zook years?

Word, especially in the ACC which isn't that strong of a conference anymore
Wake Forest won this +*@# last year

And y'all are saying we have no chance in THREE YEARS?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

3 years ago did anybody think Wake, South Florida, or Rutgers would be competitive? Hell, 3 years ago, who could have predicted that Florida would win the MNC that soon after the Zook years?

1st off,
laugh.gif
@ puttign UF anywhere in that statement.. U must be thinkingZook tore down the UF program? If you think so, then how can you even be close to thinkin UM will make a triumpahnt return. Zook had all the talent in theworld. Dudes could play, He wasnt delivering the Xs & Os.

Rutgers, Wake & USF all have better coaching then Miami. Period. Wake fields a team of mostly 2nd and 3rd yr players who all redhirted. that wasGrobe's plan from the jump because He knows as well as everyone else that a field full of true freshman will not win games consistantly. Im really notseeing why yall are so sold on randy Shannon. If this yr is any indication of the yrs to come, DONT HOLD YOUR BREATHE WAITING

yall Miami dudes are starting to sound EXACTLY like the Notre Dame Fans that are Living off past glory. It was funny to yall wnen ND fanswere saying they will be back on top, but now that your team is in that same position you have the same dillusions of grandeur.
The Miami program is nowhere near where it used to be. can we all agree on that ?
You're basically counting on unproven Freshman and an inexperienced head coach to do a complete 180 in less then 4 yrs,correct?
these same coaches that couldnt teach upperclassmen to play up to their so called "potential."
Everyone seems to forget Shannon was PART of the same staff that you guys are placing all the blame on for this downswing .
ohwell.gif

werent all guys like Lance Leggette and Sam Shields basically 4 and 5 star recruits? there are times when people focus way too much on recruiting servicesand not enough on the field production. of the players that are more than likely to return next season, I only see 1 skill player that could see significanttime anywhere in the country (Cooper).

if you're looking for a quick turnaround I believe you are not looking at things realistically.

Alot of players are quitting because of Randy Shannon, that's how 31 recruits will be comming.....I've been hearing that the players have beencomplaining alot.

Shannon was not a part of the problem....the man fielded top ten defenses in most of his years here. He was a DC, there was only so much he could do. Thats whywhen he came here, the whole atmoshphere was changed. Cokers players are the main reasons we are loosing. They show no fire, no heart. Thats why I believe inabout 2 years when they are recycled out, things will change.......

Im not saying that shannon is the savior, because so far i have not been impressed with him. Im just saying that he should be given a fair chance because as usaid, we are devoid of talent. He was left with 2 garbage QB's, 2 average WR's and a good stable of RB's. As well as a inexperienced defense. Thereis no reason that in 3 years we cant be back at the top........

Alot of players are quitting because of Randy Shannon, that's how 31 recruits will be comming.....I've been hearing that the players have been complaining alot.

Let there+%#!%% complain, get the weak minded players out of here....we need talented people who WANT to play...

It is going to take awhile for Miami to rebound. I was not sold on Randy Shannon, but that is their choice and he will have a 3-4 year window to produce achampion (At least the ACC). Miami is a name brand, there is no reason for them to fail in the recruiting circuit. Could they win the ACC in 3-4 years? Yes. National Title? No.

it probably depends on what exactly the players are complaining about.

but i dont see how people who think that miami cant quickly rise to the top of the ACC aren't watching ACC football. If Miami got blanked by VA but beatFSU and FSU beat BC then what exactly is happening there that makes you think they cant dominate again sooner rather than later.

Even the national scene. If USF is in the hunt for the Natl. Champ Miami can win it again within the next 5 yrs.

Randy Shannon will and has to make progress as a head coach. He'll get more comfortable and direct these young players into men who can play with thepride, desire and excellence that has been a tradition here at this program.

btw dont ever compare Miami and Notre Dame in any shape or form again.

laugh.gif
If USF is in the hunt for the Natl. Champ
U musta stopped watching football in week 4. USF aint nowhere near the hunt for a Nat title.

btw dont ever compare Miami and Notre Dame in any shape or form again
laugh.gif
and why not, cuz of Miami's history? thats exactlywhat Im talkin about
We' re talking right now and the future. in fact last yr UM was 7-6. ND was 10 - 3. in 2005 records were identical. this yr ND & UM will have losingrecords and wont make bowl games. I think they deserve to be mentioned together.

If Miami got blanked by VA but beat FSU and FSU beat BC then what exactly is happening there that makes you think they cant dominate again sooner rather than later.
so we're judging football on the 6 degrees of seperation method. Miss State beat Kentucky who beat LSU , Miss St is a better team then LSU....right
ohwell.gif

Good Luck Miami fans.
I just find it funny that you blast Coker, but are so in love with Shannon as the HC. thats like me sayin fire Phil Fulmer and then being ecstatic with thempromoting Jon Chavis .
frown.gif
smh.gif

U musta stopped watching football in week 4. USF aint nowhere near the hunt for a Nat title.

hold up cuz are u questioning my fan hood? (jumps across table)lol

actully they were in it until week 6 and then lost, but I mean in the general sense of them being in it midway through the season. Soooo yeah i think thatargument holds some weight, little as it may be. USF isn't gonna recruits kids by name only. Miami will def. have that going for it. esp. when Sunday theysee their fav. players reppin while they are introducing their side of the ball.

As to why u shouldnt mention ND n UM, well cuz if Notre Dame didnt stop playing us that would be a nice little rivalry for us. So i was being overdramatic alil bit but i'll give u last season as u mentioned. They beat some teams we lost to (GT) or easier than we might have (UNC) but they also had a FIRST ROUNDPICK QB. We had a VERY inconsistent Wright back there n when he got injured we threw Kirby in there.
eyes.gif
So again please just dont do it.

As for u disecting my train of thought on (6 degrees method) NO. WHERE DID I SAY IT MADE THEM A BETTER TEAM THAN ANY OF THEM. Let me clear up the point I wastryna make. ACC football is very mediocre right now. A QB who can manage a game, make a FEW play when available and not frustrate the Defense to the pointtheir young spirits break sooner rather than later if at all.

Miami will be back at the top.
Mark my words. It's just too easy for non Miami fans to hate real hard cuz u know the background
devil.gif
and the possibliity to it get back to elite status is too scary for yall tofathom.

As far Coker/Shannon well we still on the honeymoon. But best believe down here people are not giving him a free pass. Its just too many factors to consider toplace blame SOLELY on Shannon. Coker had the reigns for a minute b4 he got canned. A change had to be made. So now u are informed a lil more on that.

hold up cuz are u questioning my fan hood? (jumps across table)lol
laugh.gif

I'd like to call myself more then your average homer team based college football fan. I know how things work. Shannon is going to be given time.

I think UM may be further away then the Canes fans are willing to admit. Its not about talent, its about being a complete team.
Im willing to bet there were at least 6 teams that were more talented then Wake Forest last yr. yet they won the ACC Title because they were a better team.they did the little things. they won more close games then anyone last yr. their QB play was impeccable.
Virginia aint nowhere near UM talent wise, yet 48 - 0 happened. that wasnt a fluke beating neither. UNC pounded the Canes too.
there is much more to puttin winning championship teams on the field then just talent. If that was the case Tennessee and FSU would be top 5 every yr and USCwouldnt have lost a single game at all this yr.

me mentioning ND and Miami had to do with more each teams fans' ridiculously lofty expectations when rebuilding should be priority #1

Originally Posted by lowslows

Shannon was not a part of the problem....the man fielded top ten defenses in most of his years here. He was a DC, there was only so much he could do. Thats why when he came here, the whole atmoshphere was changed. Cokers players are the main reasons we are loosing. They show no fire, no heart. Thats why I believe in about 2 years when they are recycled out, things will change.......

Im not saying that shannon is the savior, because so far i have not been impressed with him. Im just saying that he should be given a fair chance because as u said, we are devoid of talent. He was left with 2 garbage QB's, 2 average WR's and a good stable of RB's. As well as a inexperienced defense. There is no reason that in 3 years we cant be back at the top........

Alot of players are quitting because of Randy Shannon, that's how 31 recruits will be comming.....I've been hearing that the players have been complaining alot.

Let there+%#!%% complain, get the weak minded players out of here....we need talented people who WANT to play...

I tottally agree. I use to ball with Baraka Atkins in Miami, he told me Coker was so soft on players. Sean Taylor was the motivating factor for the D.

Ok...

All FSU bias aside (Removing the Garnet and Gold glasses)

I really don't see UM making that drastic of a change in only 3-4 years.....

I mean.....Not only are y'all (us to to a certain extent) getting out coached..... you are getting out 'Athlete-ed'....I know that's not aword, but These other teams athletes are sometimes simply better than the athletes that UM puts on the field....I mean, you got RB's and QB's runningpast UM LB'S and Safety's....That's not what Im used to seeing out of a UM defense....

You can get all the 4* and 5* recruits you want....But it dont mean a damn thing if they aren't dedicated to the game... (See X-LEE....All the tools to bea #1 draft pick.....He's just not dedicated to the game)

These past couple years FSU, and Miami have been getting out coached and out recruited in some cases.....

I don't like Urban Cryer...But he is a good coach and a hell of a recruiter....Same as Les Miles....

Seems as coaches are focused on Stars rather than on field production....Cause Honestly....Some of these 4 and 5* recruits dont seem all that good in theirhihgligh vid's....

I mean....Until all of the people that larry coker recruited are gone....Um will not be that good......They have been "poisoned" for lack of a betterword, by the environment that was around when coker was around....and those bad habits aren't erased in one year...

Take for example our QB situation.....our QB's w/ 4 years of experience had to be taught over the summer the correct way to do their drops (3,5,7,etc)....I mean....Do you know how terrible that is???? WTF was going on for the past 4 years.....Bad Coaching....That isn't simply erased in a year....

Seems as if some players are more concerned with how their dreds hang outta their helmet and how they look on the field rather than how they areplaying....They are content with simply being a UM/FSU football player....They need to go to that extra mile to be great...AND you need the coaching toproperly guide them in the right direction.....

Shannon cannot do it alone.....Marve's not gonna save your program......Fortson, PJ, Baby J, Super Coop, Whoeever,.....One person is not gonna saveit....The most that you can hope for is that this next class comes in with expectations of being great and are willing to put in the necessary work to doso.....

I think WE have the coaches to turn it around EVENTUALLY (Jimbo, Trickett, etc..) But I know its not gonna happen overnight.....

One thing I can say though....Is that we have continued to fight and play hard until the end of the game, Win or Lose....

Seems like y'all quit against UVA......

Once that happens, you may as well wrap up the season b/c the kids are no longer willing to fight for the win.... I mean really....How does Miami getblanked???? That doesn't even sound right.....

/rant

where we needa really improve is on our o-line and d-line which happens to all be in the NFL... and im so fn tired of seein 185 lb linebackers
smh.gif

My biggest question or concern whatever, is all these former Canes know what it takes. They know what goes on, what needs to go on, and they all love theiruniversity. Why would they allow stuff to happen like this? You can see the pain in their faces from all the beatings we're taking these days, I'msuprised they aren't talking to help get things fixed. We've been down this road before not even 10 years ago, and Butch came in and restocked theshelves quick. Ever since his boys have run out, we've been on fumes since and that shouldn't happen.

I don't know if Shannon is the answer, too early to tell I guess, he deserves a chance to have a year or two of recruiting and see where it goes fromthere, but from everyone i listen too, they say he will get it done and they beleive in him. So for now we have to support him. Hopefully, his first andforemost priority is a QB. After Dorsey, life has been tough. We need another smart QB like him who can get it done.

I'm sickened that we have fallen off like this. 5 years ago we were elite, and now we don't even register. That is unnacceptable. Hopefuuly Shannon,and if not him, someone can get this corrected and hopefully do it fast. I'm not worried about 3 years, or 4 years or whatever, just fix it, and do itright, and do it legal. But make no mistake, the Canes will be back, it will happen, bet that.

Seems as if some players are more concerned with how their dreds hang outta their helmet and how they look on the field rather than how they are playing....They are content with simply being a UM/FSU football player....They need to go to that extra mile to be great.
bingo....

Not Possible, U cant just cut scholarship athletes and on top of that there arent enough scholarships available to do that

It's actually possible. If you have 31 open spots out of the 85 you could bring in 6 as early enrollee's in January which will count towards the kidsthat came in the previous class, that is if you have enough room without going over the 25 limit. Then the other 25 comes in the summer. Scholarships arecuttable since they're on a renewable basis, a lot of teams will not renew scholarships for players that are 4th year Juniors and already have theirdegree. Or coaches can "help" kids transfer.

The biggest thing that has hurt this team this year is the approach that Coker took in recruiting and Tim Walton. Randy really needs to think long and hardabout keeping Walton as the DC, he was a damn good DB coach but looks like he's in over his head. Shannon has shown throughout the years he's one ofthe best DC's in the country, he should think about calling plays again. That's the only problem I have with the current coaching staff. I even likePatrick Nix as the OC, I was critical of him at the beginning but he's shown flashes even with the crap he's been working with on offense. Thedifference with the offensethis year than the previous years under Coker is is that there are actually players open to get the ball. Though with our QB playthat doesn't even matter.

With recruiting, this is what happened from 2003-2006 at the QB & WR positions.

2003:
QB: Wright
WR: Darnell Jenkins

2004:
QB: Freeman
WR: Leggett & K. Jones (who probably has only played a handful of snaps in his career)

2005:
QB: None
WR: None

2006:
QB: None
WR: Shields & Robinson (who quit after 1 year)

In a span of 4 years Coker signed 2 QB's, 1 that's missing something in his head and 1 that couldn't even play pop warner. With a total 5 WR'swith 1 quitting the team after 1 year. Out of that group the only good player is Jenkins and Shields looked like he was going to be ok but he can't stopgetting suspended. Wanna know how bad this was? Our punter was on our 2-deep @ WR during spring practice in '05 & '06.

I came into this season expecting to be rough but I didn't think it would be this bad. I thought we had some decent players but it was even worse than Iwas expecting. Majority of our best players 1st & 2nd year players. Overall this is a 3 year rebuilding job for Shannon. He has to get players with notonly talent but some @***@!# heart. There's plenty of players on this team with some talent, but that doesn't mean **@* if they're twiddling theirthumbs during the game.

In the words of Matt Patchan: "Half those guys in Miami uniforms shouldn't be there. They physically don't cut it. A lot of those guyswere wasted scholarships. That was Miami's fault in recruiting. You can't take a guy who doesn't know how to play football and ask him to do thingsthat are expected out of University of Miami players."

is anthony reddick still on the team?

Yep. He ended up tearing his ACL each of the past 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom