How long those it take for you to start seeing results from lifting weights?

Yes I kno theirs an official fitness thread but,

I'm trying to get bigger I'm tired of people telling me that I'm skinny, I've been skinny all my life.

I recently started lifting weights and finally joined the gym. My goal is to gain about 20 to 30 pounds.

This is what I'm going to start taking soon AMP Weight gainer from GNC, creatine, 2 cans of ensure milk a day, and I've been also
drinking a lot of whole milk.

Is this possible in 3 to 4 months this summer? Any tips?

Wow 20-30 pounds of muscle?

Im no fitness expert but 3-4 months I highly doubt is probable to gain that much muscle weight.

You need to eat. And eat some more.

Get in about 500 calories more than you need a day. You might have to experiment a bit.

Usually the first few months you start lifting, you see the most gains. And 10-15 lbs would be more realistic in that amount of time. Aim for about 1 lb a week. But just make sure you do your part in the kitchen if you're trying put on that much weight.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Im no fitness expert but 3-4 months I highly doubt is probable to gain that much muscle weight.

not really muscle I don't care if its fat, I'm not tryin to be a bodybuilder, I'm just want to look healthier and kind of bigger lol

Im a pretty small dude for my height I'm like 5'10 and like 140 pounds

I was about 5'9 - 140ish at the start of 2008. After lifting atleast 2-3 times a week since Spring of 08, I'm current around 5'9 160, w/ roughly 10.5% Body fat.

...With that said, I still do not have the desired results I want. I am cut as they come, but a shoulder injury has limited the amount of size I can truly put on (upper body at least). It really takes a change in lifestyle, and as you grow into it, it will become an essential component of living. I haven't worked out at all this week, and my body feels horrible.

...Furthermore, I was under the impression a few years back, that I could eat anything and gain weight. But due to my fast metabolism, this isn't that wasn't the case. The saturated fat seemed to ruin my workouts...Now I focus on protein, and a consistent eating schedule (which is very inconsistent given my lifestyle). A change in lifestyle speaks more towards your diet than actually working out. But essentially its a confluence of both - especially how dynamic you are within your routines, and the consistency within your diet.

...But don't take it from me, I've literally hit 160lbs, and met my glass ceiling in terms of weight gain. But I have a physique I'm very comfortable with at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Los Benjaminz

not really muscle I don't care if its fat, I'm not tryin to be a bodybuilder, I'm just want to look healthier and kind of bigger lol

Geeez

Well like I said, Im not expert but Im pretty sure you dont want to get fat. Just work out and eat a lot but right. Just dont get fat.

skinny>fat
thin>>skinny>fat
Tone>>>>>thin>>skinny>fat

Originally Posted by Julian Wright

You need to eat. And eat some more.

Get in about 500 calories more than you need a day. You might have to experiment a bit.

Usually the first few months you start lifting, you see the most gains. And 10-15 lbs would be more realistic in that amount of time. Aim for about 1 lb a week. But just make sure you do your part in the kitchen if you're trying put on that much weight.
What he said...the most powerful drug is food.  Supplements are cool, but they are only SUPPLEMENTS.  Try eating 5 to 6 meals a day of good, lean food and train like a maniac.

the best advice i can give you is if youre serious.. take your time and do it right. trying to rush and do too much right away makes it less likely that youll stick to it in the long run. how old are you OP?

Originally Posted by jeyel

the best advice i can give you is if youre serious.. take your time and do it right. trying to rush and do too much right away makes it less likely that youll stick to it in the long run. how old are you OP?

19 about to be 20 in August

someone can correct me if i am wrong

but I recommend you hit up a place like Max Muscle or any place that sells weight lifting products and talk to them. most of the guys that work in there have been working out for an extended period of time and can help you get to the desired body you want.
I personally would recommend a gainer protein since you are trying to put on so much muscle at one time. with the gainer you would be taking in 500-1000 grams of protein in each shake, which would definitely give your muscles more to eat so that they can grow. and like others have said before me have a balanced diet to go along with your workouts.

Originally Posted by ccookielover49

someone can correct me if i am wrong

but I recommend you hit up a place like Max Muscle or any place that sells weight lifting products and talk to them. most of the guys that work in there have been working out for an extended period of time and can help you get to the desired body you want.
I personally would recommend a gainer protein since you are trying to put on so much muscle at one time. with the gainer you would be taking in 500-1000 grams of protein in each shake, which would definitely give your muscles more to eat so that they can grow. and like others have said before me have a balanced diet to go along with your workouts.

I think you mean 500-1000 calories
laugh.gif

But yeah, weight gainers are definitely helpful if you don't have the time to eat 3000 calories a day. +@%* knocks off like a third of what you need in a single serving

my boy did the p90x last summer, was 5'10" at 130 lbs...he gained around 25 lbs, mainly muscle, and he said he didn't really change his diet...just chugged some whey protein after each strength workout.

might work for you, might not, but for some people, it's just harder to gain weight. last summer, i ate a little more, lifted a good amount, gained like 5 pounds lol.

Originally Posted by Los Benjaminz

Geeez

Well like I said, Im not expert but Im pretty sure you dont want to get fat. Just work out and eat a lot but right. Just dont get fat.

skinny>fat
thin>>skinny>fat
Tone>>>>>thin>>skinny>fat
This.

Don't get sloppy bro... with time, you'll eventually get bigger, either by lifting and eating right or what we call "Developing Man Muscles"
laugh.gif

I'll guarantee if don't care about whether you get fat, just as long as you get "bigger"... you'll end up making a thread "Yo NT, what's the fastest way to lose weight?"
laugh.gif

PS: X out that ensure milk, and start drinking muscle milk!

man take that creatine and those weight gainers back to the store, you don't need them, at least not yet. there's really no point, you'll see great gains as it is simply because you're body isn't used to lifting weights.

@ 5'10" 140lbs i'm assuming you have a fast metabolism, i'd recommend trying to take in 6,000 calories a day. it sounds like a lot and it is but realistically if you aim for that, on a daily basis you'll probably consume more like 4,500-5,000 which is perfect.

all you need to do is eat and lift right. do those two things and 10 pounds of muscle by the end of the summer is realistic.

go to the bodybuilding.com forums, or the NT fitness thread and educate yourself.  you have to make sure you're lifting properly and in the right places, that can't be stressed enough.

Dude you should have posted this in the fitness thread, I can understand where your coming from I too was sort of skinny for my height - 5'7 - 145 but I've been in the gym for close to a year now committed...been weight-lifting on and off since high school, but now i'm 155...by the end of summer I hope to get to 160-165 but my natural weight is 155 with my eating habits right now.

If you want to get big I wouldn't suggest you just start getting fat by eating more...don't even mess with GNC crap especially weight gainer...just eat more food. I would suggest you start off weight lifting 2-3x a week for a month - month and a half then you can switch up your routine.

Don't even start with creatine it isn't for beginners. All I suggest is eating more for now once you get the hang of things in the weight room then go invest in some kinda shake or something.

You could def put on 25 lbs probably by stuffing your face with anything and everything, but I don't think that would be that healthy and it isn't a wise long-term strategy. Drinking chocolate milk after your workouts will help you out a bit, and don't worry that much about cardio besides a warm-up before you workout.

All depends on your body type as well 5'10 140 seems like your body type would be Ecotmorph which for you to gain weight/muscle you'd definitely need supplements & increase your calorie intake. Lift heavy weights with few reps and stay away from cardio... that simple.

Originally Posted by toast1985

I was about 5'9 - 140ish at the start of 2008. After lifting atleast 2-3 times a week since Spring of 08, I'm current around 5'9 160, w/ roughly 10.5% Body fat.

...With that said, I still do not have the desired results I want. I am cut as they come, but a shoulder injury has limited the amount of size I can truly put on (upper body at least). It really takes a change in lifestyle, and as you grow into it, it will become an essential component of living. I haven't worked out at all this week, and my body feels horrible.

...Furthermore, I was under the impression a few years back, that I could eat anything and gain weight. But due to my fast metabolism, this isn't that wasn't the case. The saturated fat seemed to ruin my workouts...Now I focus on protein, and a consistent eating schedule (which is very inconsistent given my lifestyle). A change in lifestyle speaks more towards your diet than actually working out. But essentially its a confluence of both - especially how dynamic you are within your routines, and the consistency within your diet.

...But don't take it from me, I've literally hit 160lbs, and met my glass ceiling in terms of weight gain. But I have a physique I'm very comfortable with at the end of the day.
Dis. 
But uhh, 20-30 lbs of muscle? Takes yearrsssssss

Back
Top Bottom