How much did Kanye help adidas?

I, on the other hand, will probably always pick up a pair of J's here and there. Because I do me and I'm not worried about the rest. And I'm not in the "hood" no more and I don't sell weed (no more :lol:).

I was alive when Mike played. So just for the sake of nostalgia, I'll cop my pairs.

I never understood how kids got so caught up in Jordans otherwise. But for those of us that have a genuine love for the sneaker dating back to our childhood, I'm sure plenty of us will still pick up, even amidst the quality issues.

I'm not out here taking a "stand" for quality. I just like having pairs on my feet reminiscent of what was around when I was a shorty from time to time. Same reason I **** with the AT1, Air Max 1/90/95 etc.

If Cement III's drop, I'll probably scoop. Same with IV's. You can always make those look fresh. Even if they aren't "cool" anymore. Those are really the only models I **** with though. Very rarely the XI or XII.

That's also the same reason why I copped like 3 pairs of Adidas Attitudes in the Ewing Colorway for like $40 apiece a year or 2 back when a lotta y'all didn't give a **** about Adidas.

It's wild to me that you can love a sneaker so much one day and then say you'll never wear it again.
Well said my man!

That's understandable. They probably felt like **** when you bought them though. You wore them just fine then?

And that has nothing to do with what "hood dudes and weed dealers" wear.

Jordan's aren't absurdly uncomfortable to me. Then again, I almost lost a pinky toe rocking the last Chlorophyl AT1 retro :lol:

I rock Frees I get for sale + coupon code on Eastbay for comfort though. Not $200 Boosts.

Last edited:
That's understandable. They probably felt like **** when you bought them though. You wore them just fine then?

And that has nothing to do with what "hood dudes and weed dealers" wear.

Jordan's aren't absurdly uncomfortable to me. Then again, I almost lost a pinky toe rocking the last Chlorophyl AT1 retro
laugh.gif

I rock Frees I get for sale + coupon code on Eastbay for comfort though. Not $200 Boosts.
thats because i wear boosts now...so after i put those on puting jordans and those ugly frees feel terrible. 

frees not that bad but jordans feel like im puting shoe boxes on. 

im also older now rocking basketball shoes is not a good look...so that has to do with hood dudes and weed dealers. 

Last edited:
Ok, that makes sense. But my other point is, if YOU think rocking basketball shoes is "not a good look", that's fine.

What "hood dudes and weed dealers" wear shouldn't really be an issue to you. And as someone said, if you don't think they're wearing Adidas Boosts etc., you are mistaken.

It's those external factors that people seem to get too caught up with.

I'm older too. What sneakers I wear from time to time is less important to me than the real estate I own and making sure myself and my family are good etc.

Because that's the good "look" for me.

Last edited:
i don't want to look like the kids who never grew up and weed dealers lmao

i was never disagreeing with that point lol

you can act like you don't care about external factors but you are just lying to yourself.

no one cops 200$ low quality j's without any influence from external factors. 

good try trying to be high and mighty though lmao

Who said there was no external factor?

I said I was a fan of Mike growing up and I buy them for nostalgia. That's an external factor.

But not all "external factors" are the same.

You think I'm copping $200 low quality J's that everyone says are "dead" for cool points or to look like a weed dealer? :lol:

No. I'm buying them because I like them. Regardless of how it might "look" to anyone else. I still wear AF1's for ***** sake.

Because it's never about what you wear and it's always about how you wear it :smokin

Last edited:
In my opinion Kanye could have his own brand and it wouldn't dent the revenue...

Until you take away the brilliance of Adi tech and replace it with Kanyes arrogance then you'd get Hushpuppies....

Kanye is Kanye. If that makes sense.

To further rephrase... Kanye by himself would create crap the same crummy garbage you see him selling at major designer prices...

Although the sneaker game now is generally crap, but with the help of Adidas they make Kanyes crap a lil more appealing... Being that he's Kanye and he has a fan base of Crap worshippers he gets to sell more of his Crap.

Last edited:
Can't really believe this is a debate.

Kanye was selling $75 Gildan tees :lol:

While all these smaller companies (compared to Nike) always had their loyal followers to think that this isn't a craze is dumb.

Why you think adidas dropped 19 colors of the same shoe a few weeks back? :lol:

Gotta strike while the iron is hot :lol:

thats because i wear boosts now...so after i put those on puting jordans and those ugly frees feel terrible. 
frees not that bad but jordans feel like im puting shoe boxes on. 

im also older now rocking basketball shoes is not a good look...so that has to do with hood dudes and weed dealers. 

As if hood dudes and weed dealers don't/won't co-opt anything else that's "in" including boosts.

So many people from all sorts of backgrounds wear basketball sneakers casually.

adidas is planning on dropping a basketball Yeezy line. I guess you won't be copping.

The yeezy brand is wack to be honest. You all can keep that

This, so trash it's not even funny.

So black people going to ignore pharrel and Stan smith coming back in style with the young white crowd?

Pharrell been dropping stuff with adidas, **** was bricks until Kanye hit the scene.

Their newfound success in the "sneakerhead" community can almost entirely be attributed to Kanye's arrival.

Even Bape's collabs with adidas are selling for like double what they were selling for pre-Kanye.

Rising tide lifts all boats. I can't stand Kanye nowadays so this as objective an opinion you can get, he has definitely helped adidas' profile immensely.

Last edited:
I feel like Pharrell kind of had a resurgence with "Get Lucky" and "Happy" that Adidas may have benefited from though.

From a mainstream perspective of course. Had dudes rocking hats looking like Canadian Mounties n' ****.

Last edited:
I feel like Pharrell kind of had a resurgence with "Get Lucky" and "Happy" that Adidas may have benefited from though.

From a mainstream perspective of course.

No. Happy was way back in 2013. adidas' renaissance started in 2015.

Zero correlation whatsoever.

That Arby's hat wearing ************ wasn't moving any units with adidas off those tracks b. ***** was straight up sitting.

It's Kanye man.

Last edited:
Happy was the biggest song of 2014.

Without looking at things in a vacuum, I can see how being on a MASSIVE record in 2013, the most massive record of 2014, might benefit someone in 2015.

Last edited:
Happy was the biggest song of 2014.

And what did that do for his adidas supercolors line?

Nothing.

What did Kanye do for his Human Race NMDs?

Everything.

Cats would not be dropping racks on them joints if Kanye wasn't on adidas.

Last edited:
Depends who you ask.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/03/04/pharrell-williams-adidas-kanye-west/

This goes back to what I said before. People want to believe something is as simple as "because Kanye".

When things on the scale we're discussing are rarely that simple.

I don't know how you get that Pharrell's celebrity did "nothing" for his line and Kanye did "everything" for a sneaker he never wore. We'll just agree to disagree I suppose.

Last edited:
Another thing, go back to the reveal of the 750s and 350s here on NT, cats were not feeling them.

Hype does funny things man. Once the Kanye stand and streetwear elitists got behind them cats did a 180 on them completely.

Joints were not popping the way they were now. adidas was still getting cracked on with Rose jokes.

Kanye started his anti-Nike tirades while on tour, dropped Facts and the rest is history. Sheep gon' sheep.

Depends who you ask.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/03/04/pharrell-williams-adidas-kanye-west/

This goes back to what I said before. People want to believe something is as simple as "because Kanye".

When things on the scale we're discussing are rarely that simple.

I don't know how you get that Pharrell's celebrity did "nothing" for his line and Kanye did "everything" for a sneaker he never wore. We'll just agree to disagree I suppose.

Stop it my guy.

The article even says

In it, the company detailed that it had sold 15 million pairs of Superstars – some of which Pharrell had no hand in creating – and, “at $100 or so per pair, accounted for almost $1 in every $10 adidas took in,” outperforming and outselling all shoes in the adidas range.

Shelltoes have always been a major mover for adidas. The part where Pharrell might be a bigger influence than Kanye is PURE CONJECTURE on the part of the writer. Article might as well have read "adidas selling iconic superstars en masse, pharrell's colorful monotone BS moving as well, kind've".

The TRUE data says otherwise. Peep adidas' resale market share pre-Kanye and peep now. They have I think ~30% share of the resale market where previously they had less than 10%.

Last edited:
OK. You focused on one line and missed what the rest of the entire article was about. But I'm supposed to "stop it"?

:lol:

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Pharrell is a bigger mover. I just think you're minimizing ALL of the factors that Adidas is benefiting from.

Especially when it comes to the involvement of someone who had a massive career resurgence musically AND is on TV every week. Right on the cusp of the Adidas boom. White folks LOVE The Voice :lol:

So I would say that did a little more than "nothing" for the Super Colors line.

As I said, things are rarely as simple as they seem. It's usually more complicated than "everything" or "nothing".

Last edited:
OK. You focused on one line and missed what the rest of the entire article was about. But I'm supposed to "stop it"?

:lol:

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Pharrell is a bigger mover. I just think you're minimizing ALL of the factors that Adidas is benefiting from.

Especially when it comes to the involvement of someone who had a massive career resurgence musically AND is on TV every week. Right on the cusp of the Adidas boom. White folks LOVE The Voice :lol:

Because as I said, things are rarely as simple as they seem.

No I actually READ the article. There was NOTHING written in the article to suggest that Pharrells line had a positive correlation for Superstar sales. Superstars ALWAYS sell man. The day Superstars don't move for adidas is the day there is no adidas.

It'd be like the Monarch not moving for Nike.

It's not nitpicking on my part, it's common sense.

Listen, there are other factors that are helping adidas, from timely tech to other signees (taking two of Nikes top designers a couple years ago didn't hurt either). Nothing and nobody however compares to the Kanye factor.

Cats strike out on Yeezys they'll turn around and cop boosts and NMDs. It's just the nature of the game. I get now why he said he made Jordans popular, for a certain segment of the population he may have certainly done so.

That's me admitting I was wrong about that, Kanye is a way bigger deal than I had previously thought. He got white rich and upper-middle class kids by their parents wallets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom