How the hell is the NBA a bad product?

IMO the NBA isn't as good now because...

-You have more athletic players, yes, but not enough skilled athletes
-Game flow is odd. One team up 20, gets bored, blows lead by 4th quarter, game MAY get interesting or the other team gets the lead again
-Too many dudes come in as "potential" whereas in other eras rookies came in contributing right away with an impact

IDC about flopping, it's annoying but it doesn't bother me as it does some

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Your first one is so wrong, I can't even begin to describe.
Teams blew leads back in the day too, it's called momentum and adjustments.
Yes, no busts ever happened before, Pervis Ellison loves you.

And the last thing you listed, Flopping, is the thing you should be MOST bothered by, and you don't care about that part.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah....
I'm sorry Mr.NBA to have disturbed you. There is a difference between being athletically gifted vs being a skilled player. Your athleticism can mask a lack of skill, until you become an older player. Look no further than Dwight Howard. But from reading your post, you have ALL the answers, right? 
eyes.gif

-Game flow is odd. One team up 20, gets bored, blows lead by 4th quarter, game MAY get interesting or the other team gets the lead again
-Too many dudes come in as "potential" whereas in other eras rookies came in contributing right away with an impact

So many generalizations here.

Every draft in NBA history has consisted of a few guys who come in and make an immediate impact, some who take a little longer to, some who carve out long careers as role players, and the rest find their way out of the league in due time. Its been like that since forever

Which part? Contraction, front office's or small-big markets???

Just overall, why the public views the NBA as a bad product. And whether or not you actually think it is?

Many, many layers.

First, what are people arguing? 80's basketball was "so great" yet, 2 teams won everything that decade. The next decade was 1 team, with scraps at the start and middle. So 20 years, saw 5 teams win like 18 titles. :lol:

So it can't be parity that bothers people.

The actual game? Like anything else, the league adjusts as much as they can as teams/leagues are all copycats. Something works, everyone copies it to death. Hence all the pick and roll, layups or 3 pointers value method that runs the league currently. Those are trends that are just gonna happen. The game evolves, and many people probably don't understand it. The romanticize the days of the 12 foot jumper and yearn for Bird and Magic, when in reality, that's ALL they saw. There was no league pass, they don't remember how terrible some of the teams were back then, or the fact that Bird and Magic waxed everybody for 70 games, and then played 12 really toucg games against other teams. That's because all they saw back then was those 12 tough games.

Now? You can watch the Bobcats-Magic on a Friday night, with ease. So people judge that and call it crap.

Big market, small market. Hogwash. It all comes down to free will. We're all human, we want and have choices. If a kid grows up in LA, gets drafted by Minnesota, plays there for 7 years, makes roughly 80 million dollars, then says I want to go home and play in LA, he has that right. It's his call.
If Kevin Durant goes to OKC, and says I want to play here for 20 years, and take less money to do so, it's his right. There is no right or wrong answer on what people want to do with THEIR job.

If I want to quit my job tomorrow and go work somewhere else, I can do that. Kevin Durant can't. He has to wait til his contract ends and then he has the same choice that I have, but I have it sooner.

San Antonio worked well as a small market. OKC now. Sacramento at one point was the talk of the league with Webber, Divac, Bibby, Christie, Wallace, Hedo, Bobby, Peja, I mean, they had talent in waves.
Magic doubled up with Shaq/Penny, but didn't do good enough to keep them happy and content. They recovered, and went all in on TMac and Grant Hill. Hill never was the same, but that's not the leagues fault, it's just bad luck. Then, they alienate TMac, and he doesn't want to stay for when they land yet another #1 pick in Dwight Howard.

On the flip, you have big market teams like LA pull Shaq, great, but they didn't start winning until the high school unknown got good enough to back Shaq up, and they got a coach that could work it all. Big city Clippers didn't get good, til they lucked into Blake, and the CP3 deal. The Knicks have more money, and biggest city around, they don't make anyone jealous. The Bulls have done nothing, outside of their one transcendent star.

People just like to ***** and moan about any and everything. "The season is too long".......same season length as the wonderful 80's they go on and on about tho. :rolleyes

The sport is healthy. The league is fine. The players grow and develop. Rivalries grow and fade. In the end, it all comes down to time, and how much takes place.
In the last 5 years, we have seen the Spurs/Heat finals. A LeBron-Durant matchup. The Mavs unreal run vs the Heat. The Lakers-Celtics 7 game showdown.

I mean, how the **** is that broken? That's historical excellence, that any fan would enjoy. It's the same "stars" as Magic and Bird and MJ, only in a new era with Kobe, and LeBron and Durant.

They just wear longer shorts is all.

NBA ain't "broken," but it sure as hell can be way better. I think that's the huge difference here. Point blank, with the league getting rookies each year who are becoming less and less polished on top of the many teams in the NBA, you get a league that's diluted with mediocrity and bad basketball. Bad equating to fundamentals and sound team strategy. It's been falling off for awhile now.

Think about the dust up over tattoos on the players. (who wear the least clothing during live games)

And the dress code.

Ain't no damn dress code for football players gettin off the bus, or baseball players. Hockey don't gripe about tats and clothes.

The NBA tho, must haves.
nerd.gif
This part I do agree with

Disagree. What's the NFL? It's the same damn thing. People who gripe about the money that athletes in the pro's make do so for every single professional sport. You may be able to get me with it being a generational thing, but there are millions of white kids who love the NBA and its players.

The NFL? The league where it's most important position is led by white QB's such as Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Elway, Marino, Montana. The NFL is not the same thing in any way. And yes, this is indeed an issue for the older generation right now... like those who are 35+.

So many generalizations here.

Every draft in NBA history has consisted of a few guys who come in and make an immediate impact, some who take a little longer to, some who carve out long careers as role players, and the rest find their way out of the league in due time. Its been like that since forever
But come on now, not ALL, but even you have to admit now more than ever, dudes are being drafted as potential whereas before some of the potential was actualized in their first year. 

The last layer, and the trickiest, and I'm sorry, I forgot to include it.

Is race.

A bunch of black males making a ton of money, that the majority of white america can not make. Add that up, and there is a lot of resentment towards that. Hence, "bad product"

Bull ****.

If the NBA was a bunch of white folk setting sceens and taking 17 footers and making all the money, it wouldn't be no better product, it would just be more pleasing to these racist white *******.

Again, layers. And that's the dicey one that no one wants to speak on.

Disagree. What's the NFL? It's the same damn thing. People who gripe about the money that athletes in the pro's make do so for every single professional sport. You may be able to get me with it being a generational thing, but there are millions of white kids who love the NBA and its players.

NFL wears helmets, and who are the golden boys of the NFL? :nerd:

A bunch of white quarterbacks. :wink:

That's irrelevant. All you said was black males making money and that's why white america equates it to a bad product. That conclusion is false.

Switching over to marketability I can see what you mean, but again, that's not making the NBA a bad product when millions of white people follow the game consistently.

The Bucks just got sold for half a billion. Don't bring up contraction. It's not happening.

NBA ain't "broken," but it sure as hell can be way better. I think that's the huge difference here. Point blank, with the league getting rookies each year who are becoming less and less polished on top of the many teams in the NBA, you get a league that's diluted with mediocrity and bad basketball. Bad equating to fundamentals and sound team strategy. It's been falling off for awhile now.

Yes, the NBA doesn't have an MLB minor league system to work all that out.

It doesn't have the college football route of 3 years before they can play.

So yes, you trade in a few "rough around the edges" rookies for some stars.

But again, straight to the NBA worked for KG, Kobe, TMac, LeBron, etc, so it's not all terrible. In the end, it comes down to the players, and the coaching. If a kid wants to work, and take his craft seriously, he will succeed. If he wants to get his money, and play video games all day, he will fail.

Exactly...Which makes it a worse product than it can be, which was exactly what Kerr was alluding to in that quote on the last page. It's going to take a complete overhaul to make the NBA better and I don't think people are 1. willing to accept that, but 2. willing to actually do it.

Last edited:
The NBA isn't a bad product. On the contrary, it's actually thriving and has been for the past 7 years. The NBA is the one league that has benefitted the most from the social media boom. It also has the most recognizable celebrities such as Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Durant, and others. For the past few years, ratings wise it's doing awesome (Much better than say, the MLB) and that's far after Michael Jordan retired. The league isn't a bad product by any means and popularity wise, I genuinely feel like it's on the rise.

While it surely has issues that it can improve upon, every league does and I feel like the NBA is moving in the right direction overall. It could be like the MLB, which is going in the opposite direction at the moment.

Hip-Hop culture has become synonymous with pop culture, which is why the NBA is on the upward trend and MLB, which hasn't been able to penetrate pop culture, trending downward. So yeah, the NBA could use some tweaks, but it's an awesome product with a lot of things going for it.

Switching over to marketability I can see what you mean, but again, that's not making the NBA a bad product when millions of white people follow the game consistently.

How many of those white people are the ones complaining about the league and it's "not as good as the 80's?" And how many of those, followed Larry Bird? Or Bill Walton, John Stockton, etc?

It may not be on the surface, but I can assure you, it's layered in there in people's fabric. Some hide it better than others is all.

The last layer, and the trickiest, and I'm sorry, I forgot to include it.

Is race.

A bunch of black males making a ton of money, that the majority of white america can not make. Add that up, and there is a lot of resentment towards that. Hence, "bad product"

Bull ****.

If the NBA was a bunch of white folk setting sceens and taking 17 footers and making all the money, it wouldn't be no better product, it would just be more pleasing to these racist white *******.

Again, layers. And that's the dicey one that no one wants to speak on.

Disagree. What's the NFL? It's the same damn thing.
not entirely. NFL has a larger percentage of white players among it's population and they have much more white superstars. 16 of the last 20 NFL MVPs have been white.

Since the merger, the NBA has had Walton Bird & Ill give u Nash and Dirk. That's it. 4 dudes in nearly 40 years.

Yes, the NBA doesn't have an MLB minor league system to work all that out.

It doesn't have the college football route of 3 years before they can play.

So yes, you trade in a few "rough around the edges" rookies for some stars.

But again, straight to the NBA worked for KG, Kobe, TMac, LeBron, etc, so it's not all terrible. In the end, it comes down to the players, and the coaching. If a kid wants to work, and take his craft seriously, he will succeed. If he wants to get his money, and play video games all day, he will fail.

But they have the D-League, which is where rookies and sophs should be working and developing at if teams aren't going to give them burn, Instead of washed up players who are just trying to earn a roster spot

Last edited:
My thing is, show me where exactly are people saying it's a bad product?

I know the NBA has it's fair share of detractors and that's fine, I mean it does have things and issues that it can improve upon.

However, who's actually saying it's a "bad" product? As I stated, the NBA has never been more popular, and all signs point to it only becoming larger and larger amongst the casual consumer.

Back
Top Bottom