How to Make Points More Effectively?

One thing I've noticed is that certain points I make during debates or arguments don't seem to resonate in the moment, but later, sometimes even years later. By then, the issue usually isn't even relevant anymore. I feel like I make strong points and can back them up, but I'll admit sometimes my delivery/presentation can be shaky.

How do you get people to listen to you in the now instead of later? For points that get clearer with time and through experiences, is there anything you can do now instead of waiting for your points prove themselves?

Or is this more of people refusing to admit you have a point?

Discuss

Last edited:
Appeal to emotion
Be clear and concise
Speak confidently and effectively

You can't reach everyone though no matter how hard you try.

Examples: coal country, career simps, police

can u Give me an example of wat youre talking about in the 1st paragraph op

Last edited:
I'm a true believer in the socratic method. Sort out what you want them to understand. Then give them a scenario and ask the questions that will force them to think like you..

If you give me an example of a point you wanted to make, I can probably give you a scenario that might work

Argue less and let people do a most of the talking in a debate. Then when you finally do speak, you'll have them on the edge of their seat, as your silence will have built up suspense. Make those few words count.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to get people to listen is the first thing. Is it to benefit you, them, both or someone else?

Examples:

1. Daughter please do this because it will make me happy.

2. ...because it will make you happy.

3. ...because it will make us happy.

4. ...because it will make your mother happy.

If there's nothing in it for your audience like a benefit; whether useful information, a positive outcome, laughter, a warning, etc. They aren't going to care.

What's the setting and what distractions are there to your message? In short, eliminate distractions and choose the proper setting.

Are you trustworthy? Has your prior information benefitted the listener?

How confident is your delivery?

Just a few things to consider.

Edit: repped a blinkin a blinkin

Last edited:
can u Give me an example of wat youre talking about in the 1st paragraph op
Ex. 1: I've got a younger brother and the double standards my parents had were ridiculous, even beyond typical younger sibling treatment. I always pointed it out and warned that it'd get to his head, especially when I'd leave for college and he'd be the only one at home, and they'd have to deal with it. Sure enough, whenever I came back home for breaks my parents would tell me stories of problems they'd have with him.

Ex. 2: I had a friend who was shy and had some anxiety. There was an issue that came up where they refused to leave their comfort zone and I told them that at some point they'd have to take steps so that they wouldn't stress and overthink things they shouldn't be. They basically wouldn't budge despite my convincing and said that I should just let them be that way and continue to let them make those "mistakes". Didn't talk for a while, but when we did they mentioned how they've been working on taking steps outside their comfort zone and had been meaning to tell me.

Those are just two I could think of, so I'm looking for any general advice that could apply to most or all situations.

Ex. 1. You didn't have kids so they didn't value your advice. Not a diss, just the truth. They also chose short term benefits over long term. So to them the immediate benefit of not putting forth the effort was more valuable.

Ex. 2. Again. Instant gratification over long term benefits or delayed gratification.

In both examples your advice had no immediate benefit and that goes back to trust as I said in my first reply.

Last edited:
I would just assume its people being hard headed and coming around after they messed up.
my dad tried many times to "get the point across" but i was hard headed with many things.

Alot of times when i see people give advice it has a vibe like
"Do this because i think it would be best for you"
But in my opinion and experience, it works better if its like
"Do this because i care about you"

But even that doesnt work sometimes. Look at families of drug addicts.
You could give a hella dramatic, moving speech but some people gonna do what they do.

Now engaging an audience or being a great public speaker, thats a whole other game.

Back
Top Bottom