I’m having a hard time doing this on my own…

1. Get a higher paying job (could be in same field too, much better than asking for a raise)
2. Budget
3. Marry someone making more than you (combined income >>>)

In that order too.

Everything is expensive. In America it’s all about ripping off the next guy.
why mental health has become an issue. non struggling folks now know how it is to have their hand out and use their inexperience as a crutch

A big move I also made was cut all my credit cards instead of one (Emergencies). With how easy it is to buy things today (apple pay, tap to pay, etc) this can also rack up the bills so I removed all cards from my digital wallet.

I literally never carry any cash or multiple cards on me.

My credit is great as is, but this is the only way I can discipline myself.

I’m actively trying to discourage students from being teachers everywhere.

I want a nationwide teacher strike.
Very proud of you for doing that and I hope they listen. My wife is actively seeking to leave teaching. Only job where you are supposed to put everyone ahead of yourself even your personal financial situation.

Jobs everywhere but why would someone come THERE to teach?

Legit asking because there is a teacher shortage in damn near every state in America.

Can't see this happening. That ain't flying in The Top 5/6 states where teachers are paid well. People in DC complain about things but they are paid WELL.

I come in peace but how many teachers are making more than 100k in public schools in D.C. and how many years of experience and degrees do they need to make that?

If a starting teacher in DC is making 65k how is that paid well when people in this thread are saying 100k isn’t enough in high COL areas?

Educate me if Im wrong,

I know a few teachers in Long Island NY making 6 figure salaries. Private schools.

Also a mutual friend of mine got paid a 130k a year contract to go to Dubai and teach (not sure how it is now, but this was around 6-7 years ago). Housing was included. There are avenues out there if you don’t have a family holding you back.

My girlfriend’s mom is a tenured remedial math teacher at a public school in Nassau County. She makes $140K/year.

I come in peace but how many teachers are making more than 100k in public schools in D.C. and how many years of experience and degrees do they need to make that?

If a starting teacher in DC is making 65k how is that paid well when people in this thread are saying 100k isn’t enough in high COL areas?

Educate me if Im wrong,
In Denver Public schools you need your Doctorate and at least 14 years of experience before you will see $100K. This is after teachers had to go out on strike a few years ago so it was much worse before

Last edited:
WASHED KING WASHED KING on to something…Most of the teachers I know either already out of that job or actively taking steps to dip from regular day day to classroom work

Makes sense with the bs they tell me they gotta deal with and the compensation doesn’t match up …Plus in some places in the country the folks in charge messing with the curriculums and controlling how they can teach, the whole country is trending dumber since like 2015 :smh:

Not really related but my dad was a college professor at one school for 30+ years and at another 20+ currently and I’ve always had no clue how much he makes :lol:
There was years where he was part time at different schools

My girlfriend’s mom is a tenured remedial math teacher at a public school in Nassau County. She makes $140K/year.

That doesn’t shock me. NY is one of the highest earning states for teachers. But she has probably been teaching 30+ years to get to that.Probably purchased a house decades ago. She’s good. But when it comes to teacher salaries she’s an anomaly not the norm.

But the reason there is a teacher shortage is that her generation is retiring and there is no benefit for a younger generation to take up the profession.

Low starting pay, high COL, poor work conditions, high stress job. Once Gen X is done with the work force it’s going to be bad.

I’m Denver Public schools you need your Doctorate and at least 14 years of experience before you will see $100K. This is after teachers had to go out on strike a few years ago so it was much worse before

That is still ridiculously low in comparison to other professions with that level of education and experience.

That doesn’t shock me. NY is one of the highest earning states for teachers. But she has probably been teaching 30+ years to get to that.Probably purchased a house decades ago. She’s good. But when it comes to teacher salaries she’s an anomaly not the norm.

But the reason there is a teacher shortage is that her generation is retiring and there is no benefit for a younger generation to take up the profession.

Low starting pay, high COL, poor work conditions, high stress job. Once Gen X is done with the work force it’s going to be bad.

That is still ridiculously low in comparison to other professions with that level of education and experience.
Colorado is 49 of 50 states when it comes to teacher pay which is ridiculous given how wealthy the state as a whole is.

Additional Information for Curious Minds

Y’all see schools going to more remote and self guided lessons if the teacher shortage trend gets worse? Parents ain’t having that tho, need their childcare and time away from the kids that in person learning provides :lol:

Y’all see schools going to more remote and self guided lessons if the teacher shortage trend gets worse? Parents ain’t having that tho, need their childcare and time away from the kids that in person learning provides :lol:

More like richer areas will add more stipends to retain and recruit qualified teachers while poorer areas with students of color will continue to fall behind.

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to act like she was the norm, just piggybacking off of ballinsam23 ballinsam23 's comment.

Public school teaching jobs on Long Island are still extremely competitive. I only know ONE teacher my age that was able to get a job at a public school, and she was only able to do so because her resume was immaculate. The rest are working at private schools and getting paid considerably less.

Teachers across the country are getting shafted though. Couldn't pay me enough to be one.

Considering how well kids deal with distractions (not well), going forward with remote instruction at or below 12th grade is guaranteeing that we will have a nation of dumdums. You really want to get a filling from a self-taught dentist?

Nothing beats in-person instruction IMO, from the immediate feedback from instructors/peers to being in an environment conducive to learning, which includes having access to facilities where you can practice whatever you're learning.

Considering how well kids deal with distractions (not well), going forward with remote instruction at or below 12th grade is guaranteeing that we will have a nation of dumdums. You really want to get a filling from a self-taught dentist?

Nothing beats in-person instruction IMO, from the immediate feedback from instructors/peers to being in an environment conducive to learning, which includes having access to facilities where you can practice whatever you're learning.
Well if they don’t have the teachers to learn from it would be the same results as that self taught dentist

They gotta keep legit teachers else in person won’t matter when it’s lead by just anybody

Educate me if Im wrong,

There are a lot of people making 100k in DC Public schools man. It's easy as hell to move up. 4% increase each year. DC pays WELL .

Add a Masters to that and it significantly increases.

It's online. The pay scale.

A starting salary of 65k in an industry where you have zero experience is a nice starting point.

Nobody in DC is ever complaining about teachers not getting paid.

Well if they don’t have the teachers to learn from it would be the same results as that self taught dentist

They gotta keep legit teachers else in person won’t matter when it’s lead by just anybody
Agreed. Just pointing out that it's unrealistic to expect adequate results from a mostly remote education system.

What's more likely to happen is that classroom rosters will get bigger as teacher shortages continue, teaching standards will decrease (we're seeing that already, since some states no longer require advanced degrees to teach). As a result, schooling will suck for everyone, private schools included (the instructor shortage will catch up with them, and those poorly trained, poorly paid teachers will find their way there eventually).

Back
Top Bottom