I feel bad for today's youth... (Vol. #80sBaby, #TechnologyTakeover)

I'm an 80's baby and growing up in the 90's, I guess it was just more lax back then. But I just feel bad for today's youth because they don't get to experience what we did and got into as kids. A lot of instances now, parents just don't feel comfortable letting their kids outside...even if it's just outside their own house.

My wife and I got into a house barely over a year ago and I love how my kids are able to just run outside, hop on their bikes/Razors or whatever. A lot of kids nowadays are stuck behind an laptop/computer, a cell phone or tv/video games.

On the weekends, I'll catch my kids just chillin inside the pad and i tell them (literally) go outside and get dirty. Get some scratches or cuts, ANYTHING. Just go outside. go Play. My wife's the one who's always peeking out the window or opening the front door to check if they're OK. For me, I always tell her to listen for their loud *** voices and if you can hear them, they're OK. :lol:

That's what kids don't do anymore man. You remember that?? that's where you meet your friends and develop relationships. You can do that crap just couped up at home.

What do you guys remember doing as kids?

- hitting up the ice cream man (soon as you heard the music, it was a wrap) :lol:
- hide and seek
- riding bikes (or skateboarding)
- playing at the park
- random **** to get in trouble

Chime in and feel free to add...

TRL and street hockey til dusk were a regular for me after high school ended for the day

1960s > .
5e9351cd4f2876146e61bf0.gif

Im crying :rofl:

I was born in 94 so i spent all my time outside when i was younger. Busted my *** 27 times learning how to rollerblade :lol: .

But little by little i just said eff going outside and spent most of my time inside watching TV & being on the computer. Thats technology for ya.

I was born in 87.. Perfect timing. I got to actually watch Jordan pull of his second 3-peat. Would go outside with my potnas and run games until it was dark outside. Remember how HOT it used to be inside after being outside all day long? 
laugh.gif

Super Soakers were the S***! Don't be the lucky kid that got the huge one with the water tank backpack.

Toys R Us was actually relevant.

Going to the arcade and feeling like a boss when you put that $10 bill in and got all them quarters back. 
roll.gif

Saturday mornings were the S***!!

I'll stop there, I'm getting depressed. 
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Born in 91

Ridin bikes and putting paper or cups in the tire to make it sound like a dirtbike

Mr softee

Chuck e cheese

Super Nintendo in the barber shops

Super soakers. Had one regular one and one with the back pack :pimp:

ding dong ditch

Those were the days :smokin

Last edited:
listening to the radio with a cassette tape trying to make a mixtape of my favorite jams
playing outside until the street lights came on
hide and seek
concrete football
water fun fights
i remember renting a videogame was a HUGE deal to me

Born in 83'

What yall know about "Hide The Belt" in the summer :smokin

Used to roll deep with the boys ridin BMX

That street Hockey with the puck with bearings on it to roll on the street.....

Super Soaker fights.....

Baseball cards form the ice cream truck with the stick of gum in the pack... :smokin

Only time we spent time inside the house was to watch cartoons or play Sega Genesis.

Pogs and Marbles being banned from school.....

man i can go on forever............

A lot of what was mentioned already. :lol:

The good ole days man.

I mean these kids don't even have scars... I got plenty and a story to go with ever single one.

Used to skate back in the day so countless days of hopping school fences on Saturdays to go skate the stairs and running into pros.

Muska and Jamie Thomas were huge in my day. When we ran into them we were :wow:

Last edited:
Born in 83'

Super Soaker fights.....

Baseball cards form the ice cream truck with the stick of gum in the pack... :smokin

Only time we spent time inside the house was to watch cartoons or play Sega Genesis.

:pimp: :pimp:
'91 baby checking in. Basically cosign to what everyone said in here. My parents loved seeing me go outside and play sports or just run around. Anyone born in 95 and beyond is a wrap. Technology killed this generation. Granted life is easier now with it but these kids are OD'ing it

Super Soakers were the S***! Don't be the lucky kid that got the huge one with the water tank backpack.
Toys R Us was actually relevant.
Going to the arcade and feeling like a boss when you put that $10 bill in and got all them quarters back. :rofl:
Saturday mornings were the S***!!

ALLLLLLL THIS!

Reminded me of this too...
tumblr_lmqh11Vh941qgpd04o1_500.jpg

:nthat: :lol:

Ridin bikes and putting paper or cups in the tire to make it sound like a dirtbike

ding dong ditch

Those were the days :smokin

Yooo!!! Or finding a tennis ball and putting it in the wheel in between the spokes!!! :pimp:

i remember renting a videogame was a HUGE deal to me

I ALWAYS had to beg my parents to let me borrow video games man. :lol:
Blockbuster Video, Hollywood Video

We're exactly the same. :pimp:
That hard *** piece of gum. Almost felt like you would break your teeth. :lol:

I mean these kids don't even have scars... I got plenty and a story to go with ever single one.

QFE!

Born in 85, NYC

Saturday Morning Cartoons (Ninja Turtles, X-Men, Spider-Man) along with bowl of cereal

Playing Hide and Seek til midnight

Playing out with the water hydrant in the summer (gotta have the coffee can and super soaker)

Playing gi-joes

Riding my Bike (Dyno GT at the time) gotta had the PEGS

POGS

Oh man, I hate the new age.

The monthly "90s nostalgia" thread. Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, sometimes for neither. And every generation/age group thinks the ones after them have it worse and theirs was superior.

Born in 83'

Super Soaker fights.....

This man knows! :pimp:

My bike was my whip. I used to wash that **** while pops was washing the car.

Two hand touch football in the street. You knew someone was eventually going to run into that parked car. :lol:

Anyone born in 95 and beyond is a wrap. Technology killed this generation. Granted life is easier now with it but these kids are OD'ing it

Now don't get me wrong... My wife and I want to keep my kids updated with the technology and whatnot. At the same time, we're not super ballin by any means and we're fortunate to have family connections and we're able to obtain certain things.

But even with all that, there's nothing like growing up and playing with your friends... getting in trouble... creating stories/memories.

88'

its so crazy to me cuz if u was bored u just went outside n did whatever even if it was bs'n in the woods lol

-it tag
-tv tag
-hide n seek
-2 player baseball (what u know bout dat dere ghost man)
-hoopin til it got dark
-no sled in the winter time so we slid down the hill on our chests
-hoopin with a crate as the hoop
-red light yellow light green light

uhh.....trust...kids are still playing outside. I live in a complex and there's always a dozen kids running and screaming outside ridin n bikes and skateboarding, kids are gonna be kids :tongue:

*Checks Username* I was born in '86 :D
During spring break and summer once the pools opened, me and my friends would meet up and ride our bikes to the pool.
Our subdivision was split into 2 different sections across the street from each other.
Our side had a full court for bball with a smaller pool, and the other side had a full length pool with a half court, so we would go to the big pool.
During "adult swim" we would go to the half court and shoot around or play horse or something.
When we heard the whistle for free swim, we would go back to the pool.
We would play sharks & minnows in the pool with basically everyone who was swimming. In the afternoon, we would go back to our side and run full court games until it started getting dark and then go home.
Wake up the next day and do it all over again :smokin

Saved video games for rainy days or during the week, after you finished your homework.

Last edited:
Est. 1981

-Freeze tag (Mickey mouse built a house, how many bricks did he put in? Dip dip dog ish....you.are.not.it) and then you run like hell :lol:
-Red light, green light?
-Mother may I?
-Yes, water fights
-Firecrackers, before they started being watched in NYC (I burned my index finger and thumb once, dumb dumb dumb :smh:)
-Supersoaker 50, 100, and 200 :smokin
-Summer tournaments with my pops
-Uno on the porch
-Touch football with those mini footballs
-Yes the ice cream truck
-Block parties. They still have them, but they're not the same tho.

I miss being a kid....a LOT

Last edited:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

'91 baby checking in. Basically cosign to what everyone said in here. My parents loved seeing me go outside and play sports or just run around. Anyone born in 95 and beyond is a wrap.  Technology killed this generation. Granted life is easier now with it but these kids are OD'ing it
Lol 85 checking in and 91 ain't nothing like a 80's baby, I got 6 years on you son. Yo first pair of mikes where prob retros.

Love you tho.

playing in the water sprinkler

wearing down the grass playing basketball

foot races

the rare times when the city opens the fire hydrant >>>

just walking to the corner store

dodge ball and o.u.t. out

that one friend that your mama would allow you to bring into the house without you asking first

riding through the neighborhood on your bike, going so far the trees start looking bigger, like they're closing in on you

and it feels like you'll never find your way back home

busting these with a rock or a hammer

throwing these at each other

this family just moved in next door to me, and their kids play outside all the time, and kids from down street come to play with them

I've even seen them in my grass a few times

Last edited:
I loved going for long rides on my bike and playing basketball until dark on the weekends.

Despite the takeover of technology, there will still be a few kids that will be taught the value of hard work.  They may be viewed outcasts but they'll appreciate things more than others.

Back
Top Bottom