I feel bad for today's youth... (Vol. #80sBaby, #TechnologyTakeover)

So many memories.

Living in The Bronx when I was growing up in the 90's there were alot of abandoned lots that my friends and I woud hang out at.
One lot had an abandoned trailer where we would hide our Playboy mags in :lol:

I remember owning a skateboard and not knowing how to use it so we would just lay on it while the other person would push us down the block.

Freeze tag till midnights while your parents and neighbors hung out infront of the building chillin & listenin to music.

Walkie Talkies :pimp:

yall ever have rock fights?

we used to have them on some east vs west steez between our apartment complexes :smokin

skidding da bike tires
shartting in toys r us
giving da young birds the DX sign
pokemon blue
pink ranger
a dollar :wow:
dribbling between the legs but not going anywhere :lol:

you just brought me back with the gun powder. my dude used to pack a bunch inside the front zipper pocket of his backpack.

he came into class one day and dropped his bag on the floor and his whole backpack blew up. his moms was pissed

Last edited:

:rofl:

My sister and I used to have rock fights all the time with our cousins.

Sister got hit int he eyebrow one time and that thing bled like no tomorrow. Looked like some WWF fighting blood. We were all shook. Thought she was gonna die. :lol:

Playing basketball or soccer or football in the street and having to yell car when you saw one coming.

#90s baby

saw junior high kids doing the "harlem shake"? dance during recess..the disgust...

I remember digimon on fox , all seasons. For the record digimon > pokemon ..Ash not strong enough to handle pikachu evolving. He'd die if he saw what those other kids were dealing with. Can't forget dunkaroos, .25 drinks , .50 sodas, pop a wheelies and feeling like you're doing it big. heh

nah not rocks, but acorns, pecans and pennies.

and we had trees that dropped these

mean.gif
 getting hit on the face with these,  i stepped on some and twisted the **** out of my ankle, had to get crutches and all

93 born.

remember going outside to play football on da street or if there werent too many ppl we would hoop in da drivewway. also would have races down the street to see who was the fastest. i remember one time i made a ramp for my bike and i went inside to get some juice and im looking out the windows at this guy on a huge mountain bike decides to use my ramp and dude snaps it and just rides away :smh:

those nighttime nfl street competitions were :smokin

Riding my Bike (Dyno GT at the time) gotta had the PEGS

:nthat:

you couldn't tell me NOTHIN. Loved my Dyno. Had it w/ all the purple accents too. Purple anodized DK Head, anodized spoke nipples, Purple Gel grips, Powerlite handlebars, Bulldog brakes... couldn't afford Pitbulls at that time :lol:

you couldn't tell me NOTHIN. Loved my Dyno. Had it w/ all the purple accents too. Purple anodized DK Head, anodized spoke nipples, Purple Gel grips, Powerlite handlebars, Bulldog brakes... couldn't afford Pitbulls at that time :lol:

Yall was rich where I'm from. That **** was like a Bugatti in the hood.

EVERYBODY rode Huffys or Murrays.

i had a huffy :lol:

Bo, Im from the COUNTRY born in '89

Things I did in that good ol country life

Plum fights (Throwing plums at each other behind self made forts)

Jumping Ditches (sometimes full of water)

Swinging across Ditches (if there was a tree we could hang a rope from)

Riding bikes down the dirt roads

Dirt court basketball

Riding fourwheelers 

Kickball

Summer lunch program at the church

Starting random fires (My homey caught a whole field on fire 1 day,smh, had to call the FD.)

Making a path through the woods

Jumping on the trampoline

Climbing Trees (MY FAVORITE)

Water gun fights

Drinking out the water hose on a hot summer day

Running around outside all day barefoot

Making big *** piles of leaves or hay and jumping in them.

Digging big *** holes

Making Dirt Castles

Playing with BB guns (shooting glass bottles or Birds) llol

Throwing rocks at glass bottles

Walking to the candy store up the road.

Much more....

The country living is best for ANY kid, so much to do and see it's like GTA life for kids,lol. Im glad I was raised in the country.

Dog checking up on local friends by actuatlly stopping by their crib. Using your imagination playing power rangers, ninja turtles etc. The entire crew making liquor store stops and having to raffle up all the change in your pocket to buy something, or if you were a lil rebel you treated yourself with a free99 discount. Religiously makingvisits to the local park, starting after school so you could chill nd play with classmates longer.

Good ol days not a care in the world.

listening to the radio with a cassette tape trying to make a mixtape of my favorite jams
playing outside until the street lights came on
hide and seek
concrete football
water fun fights
i remember renting a videogame was a HUGE deal to me

All the above. There was no cell phones for us so we were forced to play with our toys. I would build castles out of vhs tapes and legos. Those were the times.

Well I grew up being a bad *** so we would steal bikes and just change them up. But I def remember having a Murray lol

D.A.R.E shirts on everyone and their mamas

Fishbone pegs on the "fixed gear" ...hipsters...

cops and robbers till literally midnight.

You guys are feeling bad for all the wrong reasons

[h1]Are Millennials a “Lost Generation”?[/h1]By Nicole Goodkind  | Daily Ticker  – Wed, Feb 27, 2013 8:06 AM EST

It’s hard out there for a Millennial. While the national unemployment rate has kept firm at 7.9%, the jobless rate for Millennials (or the 80 million Americans born between 1980 and 2000) continues to increase, reaching the alarming rate of 13.1% in January. Millennials now have the highest generational unemployment in the United States.

The Pew Center calls Millennials the “boomerang generation," because nearly 40% of all Americans between the ages of 18-34 still live at home with their parents; numbers this high haven’t been seen in over 70 years. And the boomerang trend is expected to continue or even worsen. The National Bureau of Economic Research  reports that those who graduate during a recession will earn 10% less over a decade of work. Unfortunately for Millennials, research shows that 70% of overall wage growth occurs in the first 10 years of one's career.

But those who do manage to find jobs are also struggling. Young people with high school degrees have seen their inflation-adjusted wages decline by 11.1%; college graduates have seen a smaller, yet significant, decline of 5.4%, according to the Economic Policy Institute.

As a result, Millennials aren’t taking on debt or making economy-boosting purchases. Young people aren’t buying houses or cars and they’re delaying marriage and children. According to The Pew Center, home ownership amongst young people has fallen from 40% in 2007 to only 34% in 2011. 73% of young households owned or leased a car in 2007 compared with only 66% in 2011.

Many have also begun to wonder if college is worth the cost — outstanding student loan debt now tops $1 trillion. In 2011, two-thirds of college seniors graduated with an average of $26,000 in student loan debt.

Gerald Celente, Editor and Publisher of the Trends Journal, believes the depressed livelihoods of today's younger generation — "generation eff'ed" as he refers to it in a recent edition of his magazine — will lead to a revolution of sorts.

"The new frontiers are going to be the burnt out urban centers, so it might be the Millennials who become the homesteaders, farmers, and gardeners of Detroit, or Camden," says Celente. "When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose, they lose it. And you're going to start seeing a lot of young people losing it in a lot of different ways."

These are startling statistics and advocates have run with them calling Millennials a “lost generation,” attempting to parlay unrest amongst America’s youth into some sort of rallying cry or at least attempting to appeal to them as a voting bloc.

Yes, the numbers are staggering but calling Millennials a lost generation and telling young people to stop attending college seems alarmist at best.

While the unemployment rate for young workers is nearly twice as high as the overall rate, it still pays to stay in school. Between 2011 and 2012 the unemployment rate for High School graduates was 31.1% while the unemployment rate for college graduates was 9.4%, a significant difference.

Of course young people have a harder time finding employment than their adult contemporaries; they have less experience and are new to searching for work. In both recessions and expansions young unemployment is historically nearly double the national rate.

Millennials aren’t the new homesteaders, they’re not moving in droves to abandoned urban centers like Detroit to farm and start art galleries. This view of young Americans applies largely to those withliberal arts educations and money to fall back on.

Are Millennials really “generation eff’ed”?

While things don’t look great for the current generation of young adults, they are not hopeless. Let’s not disregard 80 million Americans.

Be sure to watch the video above for Celente's contrary opinion.

Last edited:
uhh.....trust...kids are still playing outside. I live in a complex and there's always a dozen kids running and screaming outside ridin n bikes and skateboarding, kids are gonna be kids :tongue:

But they're not out heavy like we once were. Definitely not out here in SoCal... and if they ARE out, best believe it's with supervision.

That's thing when we were growing up, our parents were gone working. So it was just us kids. Do/NOT do your homework and go out and play.

-Freeze tag (Mickey mouse built a house, how many bricks did he put in? Dip dip dog ish....you.are.not.it) and then you run like hell :lol:

Yoooooooooo... what were the other 'tag' songs?
Eenie Meenie Miney Moe...
Engine Engine number 9... (this one here, I completely forgot how it went)

Somebody felt sorry for your generation too my man.

Of course... Our parents and their parents. And that's OK.

And every generation/age group thinks the ones after them have it worse and theirs was superior.

My apologies... My intent wasn't to make a certain generation look superior than another. Just a simple observation that I've noticed and something I want my kids to experience.

I remember trying to dodge those while riding bikes with the fear that if you ran over them, you'd get a flat tire. :lol:

It's all gravy though. Long as you was rollin, it was all good. At least, when we were growing up it didn't matter what bike you had so long as you had a bike. Cause if not, we'd be OUT! :lol:

"The new frontiers are going to be the burnt out urban centers, so it might be the Millennials who become the homesteaders, farmers, and gardeners of Detroit, or Camden," says Celente. "When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose, they lose it. And you're going to start seeing a lot of young people losing it in a lot of different ways."

Bruh...

Yea some of my best memories as a kid was being outside and running around playing baseball, basketball, football, capture the flag, etc and goofing around with girls. I would want my kids to have that instead of sitting in front of a TV/computer all day.

@mike23theking, I couldn't think of anything else. I knew at least five. Hopefully they'll come back to me lol

Yea some of my best memories as a kid was being outside and running around playing baseball, basketball, football, capture the flag, etc and goofing around with girls. I would want my kids to have that instead of sitting in front of a TV/computer all day.
True!

Want my kids to be future MDs, not FutureMD and be ballin, but not PowerBallin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom