I Hate My Job

Not sure what the next move is but teaching is a great skill especially in tech sales and solution engineering. Not a bad option to look at.

Good luck on the hunt. Update that linkedin or get on if your arent already

I think my problem is that Ive been in education so long I dont know what else to do.

I have a bachelors and masters degree in education..

Explored the job market to see if I had some transferrable skills and couldnt find anything...

I really want a remote position honestly.

I think my problem is that Ive been in education so long I dont know what else to do.

Explored the job market to see if I had some transferrable skills and couldnt find anything...

you have to look at it through a slightly different lense.

Teaching and communicating translate to alot. You just have to sit down and list out what makes you tick and what ticks you off at work. Having that should help you with figuring out what can translate

it's not gon happen overnight but it's a step forward.

And what are you passionate about that's another place to start

Online tutoring opportunities maybe?

Good luck bro.

I've been feeling the same for quite some time as well actually. Seeing some of the responses here is giving me the courage to go out and find something better.

I also read this quote by 50 Cent the other day.

"When you settle, you're demonstrating a lack of confidence."

Start Applying/Interviewing For Jobs So That When The School Year Is Over You Can Get The Check And Bounce.

This. Dedicate yourself to the grind. Finding a new job is a job within itself. I have been purposefully looking for a new job for the past 8 months. I work 10 hour days at my current job and I spend at minimum 3 hours doing applications, following up, and interviewing. If you wanna get outta there make it happen. Rooting for you OP

Hospitality industry is veryyyy good industry to explore as well. Especially if you’re in a coastal city, beachfront type area. The hotel industry makes bank. Or any city that has busy convention center area.

You’re already use to dealing with people. Young and old. It’d be a smooth transition.

Or you could be a college professor, if you’re just tired of working with youths. Not saying young adults, or adults with be easy but, you’ve still got the educational foundation in your pocket.

What's so hard about teaching elementary? Ain't even no essays to grade. You beat the 5pm traffic. You get summers off while the rest of us watch you surf from our office windows. I don't understand what you thought it was going to be.

What's so hard about teaching elementary? Ain't even no essays to grade. You beat the 5pm traffic. You get summers off while the rest of us watch you surf from our office windows. I don't understand what you thought it was going to be.

I have a friend who is an elementary teacher and he always cites the parents, administration, politics, etc. It's never the kids he complains about. It's also a job you take home with you. You don't just clock out and that's it.

OP I've been a high school special education teacher for, I think, 16 years now and I'm in the same boat. I think the pandemic exacerbated all the issues and has really made it difficult to come to work and be the people that these kids need everyday. I was talking to another teacher I've known for over a decade and he's got he easiest teaching assignment (same class subject for every single period) and he's ready to retire early and just walk away with the smaller pension.

I've seriously looked into community college professor positions and anything else. If anything, I'm going to try to change districts to at least make more money.

I hate my job!

I am an elementary school teacher and i hate this job..

I need to get out of the classroom its been 9 years..

i took a 1 year sabbatical with pay from feb '21- jan '22

ive been back for almost a month and I hate this stuff

the only reason im not quitting is because we are getting contract negotiated retro checks for about $18k in May... I dont want to leave that money on the table

and i dont have a job lined up... but... I cant do this no more man
What exactly is it about your job that is stressing you and making you want to quit?

Fellow teacher here - on year 13. Was having similar conversation with my coworkers at lunch today. Most are looking for jobs outside education.

My advice to you - spend this summer looking for new jobs and apply apply apply. I feel like many in education are too afraid of the outside world and don’t trust our skills, when the truth is we are generally highly qualified for many things. May have to start at the bottom somewhere, but that’s okay. Life‘s too short.

My advice for everyone else - this is how the majority of teachers feel. Something in society has to change or future generations are screwed. Regardless of how you felt about your teachers, changes need to be made to protect our kids and our kid’s kids. Anecdotally, normal ”smart“ people are no longer choosing education fields. I feel like everyone under age 35 is either a coach or incredibly socially awkward. Salaries need to double to attract the people we want and need teaching our children.

Fellow teacher here - on year 13. Was having similar conversation with my coworkers at lunch today. Most are looking for jobs outside education.

My advice to you - spend this summer looking for new jobs and apply apply apply. I feel like many in education are too afraid of the outside world and don’t trust our skills, when the truth is we are generally highly qualified for many things. May have to start at the bottom somewhere, but that’s okay. Life‘s too short.

My advice for everyone else - this is how the majority of teachers feel. Something in society has to change or future generations are screwed. Regardless of how you felt about your teachers, changes need to be made to protect our kids and our kid’s kids. Anecdotally, normal ”smart“ people are no longer choosing education fields. I feel like everyone under age 35 is either a coach or incredibly socially awkward. Salaries need to double to attract the people we want and need teaching our children.

Man I cherished ALL my teachers! I had some great educators. My moms didn’t play when it came to being disrespectful. I was scared to act out, knowing that I’ll feel the wrath when I get home.

You guys are under appreciated and underpaid. It’s not worth it. With most these new parents being terrible, so are there kids. It’s just awful.

I agree with not quitting... I want the $18k check... Im just tired of the teaching thing... too nurturing for a man to do... and I work in the trenches... kids arent that bad.. just needy.. .i work with 8-9 year olds
The issue seems like the environment

Apply to private schools, not public

A lot of people in these types of jobs feel locked in because of the pension too. I have friends with public sector jobs who refuse to leave because they're already vested and have the good benefits the government offers.

krider31 krider31 moved this here
Unrelated but this thread reminded me you must have the gift of gab to be pulling like you do. That plus your ability to teach would be a good match for tech sales/sales engineer. Look for "early career" or apprenticeship roles in like solutions engineer, sales/presales engineer, solutions architect etc, some variation of those words.
Check out these channels

Back
Top Bottom