i have this problem every morning

do work son

Banned
i usually have my alarm set for 9 AM every morning, but i always end up waking up an hour or two before my alarm goes off.

here lies the issue: when i wake up earlier than i need to naturally, i feel fresh and wide awake. however, knowing that i dont need to be awake for another hour or so, i go back to sleep. the second time around when i wake up via the alarm, i feel groggy and out of it.

why is it that i feel fresh when i wake up by myself, and groggy when i wake up with the alarm? does this happen to anyone else or just me
ohwell.gif

I'm guessing it's 'cause you're forcing yourself back to sleep, and so whatever energy you had you spent taking a nap.
I suggest, that next time you wake up early and feel awake or have a lot of energy just stay awake.

Go work out, watch T.V., play PS3/Xbox, etc...

Happens to me too. Its like you eliminated all the sleep you got and your body feels like it only got an hour of sleep.
I can't help but to wake up early sometimes

has to do with the body's natural REM cycle. when you are going back to sleep, your body restarts the cycle and you wake up without the full cycle

Your sleep cycles among five stages every night. Certain stages are more prone to cause drowsiness than others when you wake up during them. When you wake up naturally, your circadian rhythm deems you had enough sleep. 

This happens to me too, even on days where I don't wake up early on my own. For instance I always set my alarm like 10-15 min earlier than my real time since I know I'll hit snooze.  The first time my alarm goes off I'm tired but I'm usually alright after I get right up. The days I hit snooze and sleep for that measly 10 extra minutes I am tired as hell when I get up.  I always think to myself-just get up the first time but I rarely do.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

came into agree about morning wood
me too.

anyway.
just get up.
i don't even know why its an issue. you are awake and fresh. you go back to sleep and your groggy.

simple fix.
get up when you wake up.

your welcome.
sincerely,
your father.

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

I'm guessing it's 'cause you're forcing yourself back to sleep, and so whatever energy you had you spent taking a nap.
I suggest, that next time you wake up early and feel awake or have a lot of energy just stay awake.

Go work out, watch T.V., play PS3/Xbox, etc...

i'm not even forcing myself though. i can just close my eyes and fall back asleep comfortably.

Originally Posted by NiceSteez

This happens to me too, even on days where I don't wake up early on my own. For instance I always set my alarm like 10-15 min earlier than my real time since I know I'll hit snooze.  The first time my alarm goes off I'm tired but I'm usually alright after I get right up. The days I hit snooze and sleep for that measly 10 extra minutes I am tired as hell when I get up.  I always think to myself-just get up the first time but I rarely do.
roll.gif

i told myself this morning i shoulda just got up, instead i just hit snooze like 10 times
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Sleep later. 

i go to sleep at like 2 every night though, not much later i can go to sleep

happens to me sometimes and I'm up every morning at 4:30 am.

I just stay up and actually do something like walk around or I'll take my shower. It'll catch up later in the morning if I don't have some coffee though.

Your REM cycle is about 90 minutes, so chances are you're waking up sometime right after your deepest sleep which is the worst for your energy.  If you really want more sleep, set your alarm 15 minutes after you go to sleep.  That way it's more like a power nap than anything else.

It's because the alarm clock usually woke you up on previous occasions, so your brain identifies it as a stressor because it interrupted your sleep (something your body finds crucial) on multiple occasions. If you have an iPhone, you can usually fix this problem by changing what sound you wake up to.

always happens to me too.

imma take yall advice and fire up the xbox as soon as i wake up then!

sleep cycles last 90 minutes, waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle usually leaves you feeling tired/groggy. idk if thats it though, could just be waking up naturally vs. waking up with an alarm.

Like has been said, youre interrupting yourself in the deeper stages of your sleep cycle.

Just sleep for another 15-20 mins if you really want to. Id just get up though.

Back
Top Bottom